A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 3 2008, 12:01 PM   #41
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Defunct script for Pern TV

But ideas keep, my dear, even outside the fridge...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 12:06 PM   #42
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

What a shame Kath!

I do think though that we could have fun sharing minor additional changes the script could include. Much less time-consuming than writing a brand new script.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 12:45 PM   #43
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Hey, I already have a script. *waves the Dragonflight book around*

Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 02:21 PM   #44
Sandi

I remember following what information there was available about the goings-on at the time. There was even a website with Anne on it in which she says something along the lines of "It's really happening!" I mostly remember my shock and agony when I read (on SiFi Wire, I think) about Lessa and her friend Kylara embarking on a journey to regain her birthright with the help of dragon-riding men. After that I have to say I kinda sorta lost my enthusiasm for the whole thing.

Cheryl I you for your stamina in not only getting through that but finding a way to enjoy it. I guess time does help heal because this time I actually found it funny as well!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 02:38 PM   #45
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

I think it's always possible to do an adaptation well. Issue is that TV and movies are such a *group* effort that lots of people are wanting to "play it safe" and follow in the footsteps of previous series...Star Trek, Hercules, Xena. And Pern doesn't lend itself well to that; telepathic dragons is a concept that's way too easy to abuse when groupthink is involved.

I think it'd be possible to adapt Pern to TV, but you'd probably want to do something sort of like how they handled the new Battlestar Galactica...do a mini-series to get Dragonflight out of the way without these weird compromises, then start the TV series on Dragonquest and run that for two seasons or something, do another TV miniseries that's a combo of The White Dragon and Dragonsinger/Dragonsong, and start up the TV series again for seasons 3 and 4 with Renegades/All The Weyrs of Pern-inspired stuff.

Edit: Ok, I just say there's a lot of groupthink involved mimicking earlier series...and here I am, doing the same thing. Hahaha. In my defense...I think Battlestar Galactica is the ONLY SF TV series that is on par quality-wise with the best of the SF literary genre.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 03:22 PM   #46
tatiana
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: A Storm of Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post
I think it's always possible to do an adaptation well. Issue is that TV and movies are such a *group* effort that lots of people are wanting to "play it safe" and follow in the footsteps of previous series...Star Trek, Hercules, Xena. And Pern doesn't lend itself well to that; telepathic dragons is a concept that's way too easy to abuse when groupthink is involved.
As I was reading the script interpretation (thanks for posting that!), copying the Xena and Hercules tv series style is what I immediately thought they were trying to do...and I'm kind of sad about the descriptions of the terrain, but, maybe they had some affordable places to film already in mind (and checking out that Sariel link it looks like that was the case). Kind of like how they used Los Angeles and tumbleweeds when they wanted a quick snapshot of Dallas in that first X-files movie...
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 04:23 PM   #47
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

That was a very amusing and interesting read. A worthy distraction from the school work that I really should be doing.
Old Dec 3 2008, 05:49 PM   #48
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Hey, I already have a script. *waves the Dragonflight book around*

That's not a script silly, that's a book

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 3 2008, 05:53 PM   #49
Blue Rider 16
Dylanist

Fan of: The Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern

I've so far found it a humorous interpretation, but I think I'm dying a little bit inside each time I hear them massacre the plot. Thanks though for posting this, Cheryl.
Old Dec 3 2008, 06:05 PM   #50
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I would have thought that Irene Elliott could have done a better job.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 06:12 PM   #51
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Gee thanks. Now that this has made me spew, I feel a bit better now... (Jaxom, Lessa's contemporary? Kylara a drudge? OMG!)
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 06:20 PM   #52
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Uh, Shalyn's getting a copy of this, right? (As I routinely bum stuff off her.)

Actually as I dont' give a darn about formating and am after content, are you planning to scan it? I would just like to read the actual script. (I have a limited degree of experience with TV shooting scripts, largely thanks to the very gracious writer-producers of "Space: Above and Beyond" who responded to a geeky little high-school fangirl with a three-page handwritten letter and a signed copy of that week's shooting script. I got the feeling they didn't get much fan mail.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 06:55 PM   #53
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Cheryl, thanks for sharing! I know I'd hate the script, but your summary was hilarious!!!

I don't really expect much from a TV adaptation or movie of any book I've read. I've almost never seen one done well enough to be enjoyable. Well, LOTR, but other than that.....

Anyway, I'm sure glad they never made that! I probably would have watched about 20 minutes of it and shut it off! Hopefully, when they do the movie they will do better than that!
Old Dec 4 2008, 08:30 AM   #54
Hans
Master Archivist

I know I'll eventually get a copy of this script but I to avoid further confusion on my side...

Cheryl,
We are talking about a script here for the WB/Ron Moore venture rather than for the Alliance Atlastis/Zyntopo effort, right?

The last dates late 1999 and the former 2001-2002.

Quote from scifi.com:
Quote:
Moore's series is not related to a previous Dragonriders series that was in development at Alliance Atlantis Entertainment and Zyntopo Teo. But that show's champion, Eric Weymueller, will act as an executive producer on Moore's show.
and just for fun another quote...
Quote:
Moore said that fans of the Pern books should reserve judgment on the upcoming TV show. "I just want to get people in the mindset that, look, we want to bring this property to television, but we want to give you what you love about the books. ... Anything you hate about [the TV show], you can lay at my doorstep. ... I'm not trying to outdo Anne at her own game, or improve the books, because I don't think they need improvement. ... It's a translation into a different medium. ... It requires looking at it through different eyes. ... You have to make choices: which characters to include, which not to, which standing sets you have, where's the home of the show, who do we follow each week, what span of time."

Old Dec 4 2008, 09:25 AM   #55
Cheryl
Master Archivist

The script is by Ron Moore and dated Dec 15 2000. It is therefore not related to the Zyntopo/Alliance-Atlantis effort, but is before the WB had committed itself to the show.

Your dates for the Ron Moore/WB effort are a bit off. We got the news from Anne/Alec in Jan 2001 that Ron Moore was on board and that the WB was interested. Sometime in late March or early April of 2001 the news of the death of the project came out.
Old Dec 4 2008, 09:58 AM   #56
Hans
Master Archivist

True Cheryl, but there are enough newsitems dating from 2002 for me to include that year too for the RM/WB venture.

Old Dec 4 2008, 10:27 AM   #57
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post
Edit: Ok, I just say there's a lot of groupthink involved mimicking earlier series...and here I am, doing the same thing. Hahaha. In my defense...I think Battlestar Galactica is the ONLY SF TV series that is on par quality-wise with the best of the SF literary genre.
BSG was great the first two seasons, but after that it became a soap opera with a little SciFi mixed in. The first two seasons, it was a SciFi show with a little soap opera mixed in. Because of that, I quit watching after the first two seasons.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2008, 11:15 AM   #58
Sandi

Personally, I thought what they did to BSG was a crime!
Old Dec 4 2008, 12:53 PM   #59
Cavatica
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
BSG was great the first two seasons, but after that it became a soap opera with a little SciFi mixed in. The first two seasons, it was a SciFi show with a little soap opera mixed in. Because of that, I quit watching after the first two seasons.

GH
Then you kind of missed its upswing.

The thing that happened with the first half of the third season was that the Sci-Fi Channel decided they wanted to make the show more accessible to broader audiences, to people who hadn't seen the first two seasons, so they insisted on writing a whole bunch of stand-alone episodes. They weren't AWFUL, but they weren't very fulfilling to those of us with a vested stake in the overall arc of the story. Yeah, we get it: Starbuck's an alcoholic who can't keep her girl parts away from those sexy Adama boys, and that tortures her, and angst angst angst blah blah. Can we get back to the destruction and redemption of humanity?

About halfway through the third season, they realized that was bullshit and Moore and Eick got their way, which was to go back to the continuous plot-heavy episodes. The last three or four eps of season three were MUCH better, and the last episode or two were actually pretty damn brilliant!

My boyfriend and I were talking about what Moore did to Pern. Loren, having not read any Pern but having heard his fill of it from me, is pretty much an outsider looking in. His opinion, which I agree with, is that Ronald Moore is a masterful storyteller, a real genius, and even if he turned a lot of the story on its head, it probably would have turned out to be a really great show. He notes that, without having ever seen a final product, we'll never really know how it would have actually turned out -- but that Ron typically has a very thorough, well-reasoned Plan (tm) for everything he writes, and it's very possible he could have made Pern really awesome.

But that's sort of why I feel betrayed. Because I know Moore did a lot to stand up to the WB's more asinine changes -- HE was the one who pulled the plug when the series looked like it was going really, really far south. I appreciate he respected Pern enough to do that. But reading this summary, it looks like maybe some of my faith was misplaced.

What I get from this script is that Moore did to Pern essentially what he did to BSG, which was to do a mulligan on a bunch of the canon and start fresh.

I understand the thinking behind SOME of those choices. For example: pitting Kylara against Lessa from the very beginning, by giving Kylara a more tangible reason for antagonism -- Lessa Impressing the gold dragon Kylara felt entitled to, and Kylara feeling betrayed by that because she and Lessa were friends or confidantes to begin with -- is more interesting than "Lessa slept with the man I wanted to sleep with! She's not the boss of me! Poopy!"

Changing Fax's name makes sense. Making Lytol more antagonistic, rather than sympathetic, at the outset, makes sense. You expect there are going to be some character merges, maybe some gender and race changes, some alterations to the timeline and/or basic character dynamic, etc. etc. Given Anne's inabilities to keep her own canon straight, and given some of the... unexpected... decisions her well-meaning son has made that are now accepted as canon (depending who you ask, anyway), it's not unreasonable to expect a guy like Ron Moore to fill some of those gaps... creatively.

But making Jaxom a drudge, and the same age as Lessa, is completely pointless and totally ruins the prospects for later, TWD-based stories. Giving Fax a son is stupid. Putting reins on a dragon demonstrates a total lack of understanding about what the dragon-rider relationship IS. I won't even COMMENT on Lessa's inexplicable knowledge of kung-fu, or whatever.

I think if Ron Moore wanted to do a really awesome show about dragons and riders on an alien planet, he could. But I think it's a fallacy for him to try to pass off this script as "Pern." Because there are some canonical norms he HAS to maintain to call it that. We're not talking about BSG, which was a one-season, campy, largely derided series without much established canon (or fanon, for that matter -- not in the 70s/80s, anyway). We're talking about a 40-year-old series with a long-established set of rules and boundaries. You kind of have to KNOW those rules before you can break them, Ronnie.

The only concession I'd be willing to make is that I don't know what draft of the script this is, and how much of it was underwritten by WB writers. Some of the more ridiculous stuff might not have come from Ron Moore, but some hired goons. I think I'd have to see the actual script to even begin to guess.

ETA: Went back and read some more -- so this precedes WB interference. Okay. But that means it's still an EARLY draft and therefore may have been improved upon later. First drafts of screenplays or teleplays very, VERY rarely resemble their final products. Even so...
Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2008, 04:40 PM   #60
Lily

Cheryl - that was wonderful!
Old Dec 4 2008, 06:13 PM   #61
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

I remember the April 2001 news about Pern going away. The feeling I got was him deciding that the networks changes would have turned Pern into another Buffy the vampire slayer, or Angel. Though if what Cheryl interpreted for us (Thanks by the way) was what he was working on....... no, no, don't even want to imagine what could be worse.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2008, 07:00 PM   #62
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Cavatica, I agree with most of your sentiments. I know Ron can be a masterful storyteller, and maybe he had a great Plan that would have turned into a great show loved by a general audience. But the show would have been quite a re-imagining of Pern, and completely disatisfying to fans of the book -- similar to many fans of the original BSG show.

I don't have much sympathy for the original BSG show fans....I think because TV feels more malleable to me so to take a germ of an idea and develop it in a different way doesn't seem so offensive. Books are malleable in the same way. Maybe if the show was said to be "inspired by" the Pern books instead of "based upon" them, I could stomach all the changes better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavatica View Post
The only concession I'd be willing to make is that I don't know what draft of the script this is, and how much of it was underwritten by WB writers.

ETA: Went back and read some more -- so this precedes WB interference. Okay. But that means it's still an EARLY draft and therefore may have been improved upon later. First drafts of screenplays or teleplays very, VERY rarely resemble their final products. Even so...
It's stated to be his first draft, so this is his initial ideas on how it'd work. Hopefully some of the stupider stuff would have gotten fixed. I agree that it does show fundamental lack of understanding of some of the important aspects of Pern. As Cavitica said, putting reins on the dragons completely misses the mark of understanding the bond between rider and dragon.

Leaving Fax/Goran alive and killing a newly minted son misses the mark too. I can see why it was done, to leave a strong human antagonist around. But a major aspect of the books is the planetary unity that was brought about by the common enemy of Thread. A mindless enemy may not play well on the small screen, but that should be the focus of the ongoing struggle. The ongoing political bickering of Hold/Hall/Weyr is just that, bickering. Dragonriders vs. That One Evil Guy pulls the focus of the plot in the wrong direction.

The thing I'm most curious about is how he was imagining the genders of the fighting dragon's riders. There's just the tiniest clues in this draft pilot concerning this. I have a suspicion that we would have seen women riding the fighting colors, and the green mating flights would not have the same human consequences as the gold flights. At the very least I think that the homosexuality of green and bluer riders was going to be dropped. Changes like that may have been deemed necessary to not turn off the audience.

The clues to this are as follows: F'lar's casual mention of a female rider's report of weather in the High Reaches. T'bor, a greenrider, is quite aroused by Kylara, which is not surprising to the other riders. F'lar telling Lessa she'll essentially rule Pern if she impresses the gold, meaning this other female rider is not on gold. A circle of men and women around the non-gold eggs, which lie separate from the gold (so the women are not just around the gold).
Old Dec 4 2008, 11:50 PM   #63
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

I never really got into the BSG series, but I enjoyed Hercules and Zena when I was younger. I did find though like with many TV shows now, that after a while the original quality of the show was lost in the writers attempts to keep it around longer than it was meant to. I’d rather see a show series end, than the writers turn to aspects that are better suited to drama TV shows.
Old Dec 5 2008, 01:14 AM   #64
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cheryl...Well I still would love to have a copy and read the original script...but that's going to have to be, after I stop laughing at your very clever and insightful report of it. You did a magnificent job of this

I am so glad that this thing got canned...and hopfully burnt and the ashes scattered
Whats wrong with taking it straight from the books...why do they have to change it, just turn it into whats needed for the script. Whats so hard about keeping what Anne wrote.

Spiffy...I kinda feel like you did... right after the start of Cheryl's reports started...I thought I was going to curl up and die.

Annareth...Oh I love the *Space and Beyond* series...bought it all when it came out on DVD.

Jube...mockumentary......I love it

AnnMarie...will you please pass me a barff bag...like you I need to toss my cookies

I am glad that we have had this peek into what a non fan can do with a great story...just to get it into the movies...big or small...this way we will be more prepared when the long awaited movie does come out...hopefully it won't be near this hedious or revoltingly WRONG!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 11:11 AM   #65
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Whats wrong with taking it straight from the books...why do they have to change it, just turn it into whats needed for the script. Whats so hard about keeping what Anne wrote.
Well, there are a lot of reasons.

For one thing, one page of script = approximately one minute of film. That's double-spaced, with dialogue and any descriptions or directions. The average full-length movie is 90 minutes long, with scripts of about 100 pages. I'm not sure if it correlates about the same to a teleplay, but if it does, you're talking about something like 42 minutes of screen time per episode, so, I dunno, 50 pages of script?

So for an average-length novel, you get maybe 80,000 words to a teleplay's 20,000 (and I think I'm being generous there). Okay: the advantage of a TV series is you can spread the novels out over the course of the series. But you can't keep EVERYTHING, and not everything will be screen-friendly. Not just because it's gratuitous, like sex or violence, but because it might be irrelevant or boring or even unfilmable.

The other thing to remember is that TV series and movies cost money to make. We're not going to Pern and pointing a camera at the action. You have to create everything, including the dragons. And CGI is EXPENSIVE. Each second of CG animation equates to thousands of dollars, so you have to decide where and how you use them. That means some scenes featuring dragons will have to be implied or cut out all together.

Furthermore, Anne's books in particular, as we all know, are full of holes and incongruities. The screenwriting and production teams would need to be responsible for repairing those inconsistencies, and that might lead to other necessary changes. Even the language she uses changes between 1967 and today -- dialogue in Dragonflight was MUCH more formal than in Skies, not necessarily because it's canon for those modes to have changed, but because science fiction OVERALL in the 1950s and '60s was much stiffer. Social and cultural norms have allowed it to relax since then. You have to accommodate for that to appeal to modern audiences. How do the characters even TALK to each other?

If Peter Jackson had copied LotR word-for-word, well, we'd probably still be watching the first film! Some things he had to remove, merge, or otherwise adapt. Not all of those changes were great, no -- we all miss Radagast the Brown and Tom Bombadil and would like to know WTF is up with all the soft-focus Arwen nonsense, plz. But for the most part, it's still considered a very, very successful adaptation. Because Jackson knew WHAT to keep and what to discard.

On the other hand, Jackson, Walsh and Co. went through many, many, MANY drafts before they settled on something filmable, which itself changed as the actors added their own thoughts and observations, or as budgets fluctuated, or whatever. Scripts are living works. The likelihood that the script we're reading here would have borne ANY resemblance to the final product is very slim indeed.

In any event. It's reasonable to expect a novel adaptation is going to be just that: an adaptation. It's going to have lots of revisions -- some major, some minor -- to update it and make it camera friendly. I'm totally cool with that. But, as Cheryl said, you reach a point where you kind of have to stop calling it "Pern" and say it was inspired by Pern. I think my boy Ronnie definitely crossed into that territory, and yes, it's a bit disappointing.
Old Dec 5 2008, 11:55 AM   #66
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
The likelihood that the script we're reading here would have borne ANY resemblance to the final product is very slim indeed.
I definitely disagree with you there, Cav. But in general I agree with how you picture the making of a TV series and accept the fact that things need to be changed to fit either the small or the big screen.

Having said that... if a series is only inspired by Pern they shouldn't call it the Dragonriders of Pern as thousands of fans would/will expect something that lies at least a little closer to the "real" Pern and I personally think that, despite changed needed for TV or movie, the changes wold not need to be so drastic.

You take the LotR as an example and Jackson did indeed cut a lot but didn't do much to change the values and truths of the books. Pern could certainly be done that way too, with changes only where it's necessary.

A chance remark by Cheryl about the homosexuality of green en blue riders made me realise that such a thing would almost certainly be changed for an American TV series while a European one might (might!) just capatalize on it And there's more stuff like that where Anne's writing and views definitely are very different from the American viewer, let alone the American advertiser...

Old Dec 5 2008, 11:59 AM   #67
Cavatica
Inactive

Knowing what Ron did for Star Trek and BSG -- which was largely to plunge them from "camp" or "light adventure" deep into "holy crap, this is messed up" territory -- I imagine he would treat homosexuality as respectfully, honestly, and dementedly as he would heterosexual relationships. ;>

(You CAN show gay characters on American TV, you know. Now, teh gaye buttsecks, that's a different story. Though it also depends on whether you're talking about broadcast, basic cable, or extra speshul cable. On cable, you've got a lot more leeway with adult language and sexuality and such.)
Old Dec 5 2008, 12:06 PM   #68
Hans
Master Archivist

Yeah, cable makes it possible

In my contry the only thing you need to et the special cable channels for is real porn, the hard stuff in which you can see the ovaries and such (my old sergeant use to say).

Although we don't have the same cable world as the US does. We all have cable and all commercial channels are publicly broadcast except for a few special cable channels you have to pay extra for and the most important of those is soccer, not sex

I wonder though how eager advertisers would be to buy time in/around a DRoP series with open homosexuality

Old Dec 5 2008, 02:49 PM   #69
Dragon Man
Inactive

Fan of: The Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: changes frequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rider 16 View Post
I've so far found it a humorous interpretation, but I think I'm dying a little bit inside each time I hear them massacre the plot. Thanks though for posting this, Cheryl.
^^^^^^^^^That about sums it up
Dragon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 07:39 PM   #70
Sandi

From what I've been seeing on TV in recent times I would think that having homosexual dragonriders would be a strong selling point for the series. "Token" gays seem to be popping up all over, just like other minorities have in past times.
Old Dec 5 2008, 09:16 PM   #71
Kerianth
Jewel Junk

Wow, just catching up with this thread ... thanks for reading and commenting on the script, Cheryl!

I agree that when a version of Pern eventually reaches the screen (whether small or large), there will have to be changes so the story fits in with the conventions of visual media - not to mention adapting to the needs of the networks, the funding bodies and most of all the advertisers. (Though if it was made by the BBC, the needs of the advertisers wouldn't be a major factor! )

I hope any alterations that occur are made in the spirit of the Pern series, just as Jackson's changes were in the spirit of the LotR trilogy. But given the nature of much media funding these days, I have my doubts about whether this will happen.

Cibryen Weyr
Kerianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 10:47 PM   #72
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
From what I've been seeing on TV in recent times I would think that having homosexual dragonriders would be a strong selling point for the series. "Token" gays seem to be popping up all over, just like other minorities have in past times.
Yes, token gay characters are popping up. But not whole segments of populations, as the blue and green riders are. I'd bet that they'd be too afraid to include them as such.
Old Dec 6 2008, 02:33 AM   #73
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Lady Maelin , yes mockumentary was termed somewhere (can't think of it at present) and thought it most appropriate for Cheryl's meanderings of Pern as we DON'T know it, according to tv script.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 04:20 AM   #74
draconichybrid
Inactive

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads
2cent Re: Defunct script for Pern TV

My two sense (warning: a little rantish, read at your own risk):

Cheryl, what is so bad about females flying Browns, Blues, or even (possibly) Bronzes? Brekke came out with that idea in Dragonquest, and I thought it made alot of sense (while I suspect you do as well, you still tabled this in the negative column) -- one of my stronger grievances against Dragonriders in general (and Anne as authoress) is that this made sense, but didn't happen (queen dragons with flamethrowers at a lower elevation is simply NOT the same thing as simple equality).
And yes, I get that back when these stories were originally written, women just didn't do things like that, and that Anne probably has/had definite biases of her own -- just like my father would be offended to be called either racist or sexist and possibly even homophobic, but his "us and them" attitudes mean that he is racist, sexist, AND homophobic -- if only to a degree.

But that doesn't change the fact that I do have a grievance here, and do fault Anne to an extent.

And second: what is so "wrong" with the mental image of Lessa as a butt-kicking kung-fu mistress? (this adds some depth to my latest idea for a FF, actually (NOT set in Pern)... if I can ever focus on writing long enough to um, write it) I don't know about you guys, but that fits my mental picture of Lessa perfectly. I mean, how else could a little girl -- a malnourished little girl, no less -- have kept her virginity for ten years -- as a drudge, no less -- so she could lose/give it to F'lar? You don't think that in ten years, at least one of her captors would have raped her no matter how unattractive she made her disguise -- on general principle (rape is about power and control, not sex ... isn't it?) -- without Lesse-the-child having some way to defend herself?

So I suppose I fault Anne to an extent on this one as well
Am I making any sense at all, or did I lose most of you (probably around the tenth word, heh *cynical smirk*)?

Is it just the same purist thing I did with LOTR?

Last edited by draconichybrid; Dec 6 2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: grammar nazi -- the appropriate term for a girl or woman here would be MISTRESS, not master. My bad.
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 06:00 AM   #75
Hans
Master Archivist

You can never fault an author for a world of her own making as (s)he is the CREATOR of it and thus makes the rules

On top of that, it is science fiction and applying old and silly 20th and 21th century Terran ideas and social and cultural images on it is wrong

Last edited by Hans; Dec 6 2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old Dec 6 2008, 09:25 AM   #76
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Girls riding colors other than gold at this point in time is against established canon, which is why it's another point of critique against the script. Is it probably a sensible change in adapting the book to tv? Yes. Would I like it if Anne had been more progressive and allowed women to ride all the fighting colors? Maybe. But that's not the point. It's against canon, and therefore merited being mentioned.

As for Lessa being a Kung Fu master.... I'm not quite sure where people are getting this idea from. It seems perhaps that Cavatica interpretted that from Lessa having killed a guard, and then Draconichybrid took it as fact. I can assure you she'e portrayed as no such thing in the script.

And finally, as to how Lessa-of-the-book kept her virginity as a drudge, don't forget that she has always had her special ability to "lean" on people to affect their actions. It's perfectly reasonable to me that she'd have been able to defend herself with this ability.
Old Dec 6 2008, 09:58 AM   #77
Dernok
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
[OT] Fax connotations/associations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I'm not shocked by the name change either, but Thrax just makes me think of anthrax which isn't any better of an association.
Well, different socializations - different connotations

With Fax i always had to think of http://faxe.com/

A danish beer that comes in handy 1 liter tins...

handy because a tin would last exactly the time it took us to drive from the last petrol station before the Autobahn to our then favourite disco, in my youth. Looong time ago...

This association (Or connotation? Excuse a non-native english poster mixing up words here) is only slightly better than your anthrax one.
We referred to it as Cookie-Beer then since it tasted like someone had dissolved a cookie in it. Kind of crumby.

When thinking of this post i selflessly, for the sake of science exclusivly, of course, prepared for a self-experiment and bought a tin of it for €1,26.

And it still tastes crumby...
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 10:00 AM   #78
Hans
Master Archivist

shakes head at reading about 1 liter tins... that seems so wrong...

Old Dec 6 2008, 01:15 PM   #79
draconichybrid
Inactive

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads

Quote:
Girls riding colors other than gold at this point in time is against established canon, which is why it's another point of critique against the script. Is it probably a sensible change in adapting the book to tv? Yes. Would I like it if Anne had been more progressive and allowed women to ride all the fighting colors? Maybe. But that's not the point. It's against canon, and therefore merited being mentioned.
All of which I acknowledged, btw. As I thought, it's the same purist thing I did with LOTR.
I suppose the difference here is that Anne's version brings a (slight) "cognitive dissonance" with it (personally at least) -- which is not the case with the departures from LOTR's canon.

Quote:
As for Lessa being a Kung Fu master.... I'm not quite sure where people are getting this idea from. It seems perhaps that Cavatica interpreted that from Lessa having killed a guard, and then Draconichybrid took it as fact. I can assure you she'e portrayed as no such thing in the script.
Actually, what little of the script you posted gave me the impression that Cavatica was intentionally misrepresenting Lessa's portrayal as part of a sick joke. I thought it was funny (in a twisted way, granted) and decided to play along.

Quote:
And finally, as to how Lessa-of-the-book kept her virginity as a drudge, don't forget that she has always had her special ability to "lean" on people to affect their actions. It's perfectly reasonable to me that she'd have been able to defend herself with this ability.
While I'm sure her abilities there helped, chances are pretty good that in her ten years as a drudge, she'd bump into at least one potential guard/rapist where leaning wouldn't work.

Remember, her "leaning" ability suffers from the same limitations "leaning" does in Talentverse -- which would figure, as they are the same ability. For one thing, particularly strong personalities tend to instinctively fight off the compulsion (F'lar, those Lords she tries to manipulate into tolerating Ruth) -- which makes leaning on them pretty much useless. Secondly: perceptive individuals can not only instinctively fight off the compulsion, but tend to be consciously aware of the intrusion (F'lar, anyone?) -- which would really suck for Lessa, as her rapist would probably get pissed off.

And pissing off a rapist isn't exactly a good idea unless what ever you try actually works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
You can never fault an author for a world of her own making as (s)he is the CREATOR of it and thus makes the rules
Actually... I can do anything I want -- provided I'm willing to pay the price for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
On top of that, it is science fiction and applying old and silly 20th and 21th century Terran ideas and social and cultural images on it is wrong
Since when? Especially given the fact that new experiences are evaluated in terms derived from previous ones -- that's the way perception works.

Last edited by draconichybrid; Dec 6 2008 at 02:18 PM.
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 02:46 PM   #80
Sandi

I get really tired of the tendency of so many to "put a new spin" on somebody else's work. (Yes, I know I did that in the Exhibit Hall but that was just a little fun, not meant to be taken "seriously.") I would prefer to see someone come up with something original and new rather than butcher the creations someone else has already worked hard to produce.