A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

View Poll Results: Is Ruth the chihuahua of the dragon world?
Yes, he is! 14 19.72%
No, he isn't! 42 59.15%
Only the purple monkey dishwashers know! 9 12.68%
Fool! He IS a purple monkey dishwasher! 9 12.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1 2007, 02:50 PM   #41
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight <3 F'lar fan
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Default Re: Is Ruth a run... er, rat-dragon?

maybe since he himself is underdeveloped, then maybe that part of his brain is underdeveloped?
Goldrider Thais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 12:54 AM   #42
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I wouldn't say he's underdeveloped... He's undersized of course, but still completely in proportion. And he's not THAT much smaller than a green, so he's not all that freakish. And since his brain seems to be even slightly more advanced than other dragons, I wouldn't think that it's underdeveloped in any way.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 11:07 AM   #43
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I wouldn't say he's underdeveloped... He's undersized of course, but still completely in proportion. And he's not THAT much smaller than a green, so he's not all that freakish. And since his brain seems to be even slightly more advanced than other dragons, I wouldn't think that it's underdeveloped in any way.

And remember that he is only undersized by modern dragon standards. I recall someone mentioning when going through the Avais files that Ruth was actually bigger than the first dragons. And I agree that he was more intelligent (at least when it came to timing) than any other dragon.

GN
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 03:28 PM   #44
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

maybe he shows no interest in mating because he shows more mental capacity? With that in mind, he may be able to resist the 'urge' in the way a female does (non-dragon of course).
Old May 3 2007, 03:02 AM   #45
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

I don't know... he doesn't seem to be resisting anything, he just has no interest at all.
Old May 3 2007, 01:07 PM   #46
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

well have you ever tried to come on to someone who has no interest!?!
Old May 3 2007, 01:56 PM   #47
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Well, since a dragon's "voice" sounds much like his rider, with a white dragon there's no REAL way to tell the true gender unless the dragon let them examine its genitals under the folds of skin under the tail. Other than that, there's no outward significant distinguishing attributes between genders.
They did do some of that to get the genetic material from fire-lizards in DDawn.

And they still have dragonhealers in the 9th Pass--the equivalant to our veternarians. The Pernese certainly seem to have less hangups about sex than most of our good ol' American/UK 20thCent citizens--which probably accounts for less graphic descriptions of such examinations in Anne's writings.

Its quite evident from what was written in DQ that they examined him to the fullest extent their level of technology allowed--Anne just didn't go into any specifics & left it to our imaginations just how complete the exam was--as well as how often they did so throughout his growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrider Thais View Post
well have you ever tried to come on to someone who has no interest!?!
Except the Pernese natives don't court each other like humans do. Females don't pair-bond with a specific male--it's whoever catches them in the mating flight.

And certainly a green or gold isn't going to wait for Ruth to show an interest when they've got dozens of randy, eager males all ready and raring to catch them the moment they take wing.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2007, 02:57 PM   #48
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

well, if he ever [I]did[U] show any interest, i don't think the green/gold, whatever, would have had to wait at all-seeing as Ruth is pretty quick. Doesn't he usually get into the air before any of the normal, heavier dragons?

i can actually see the female be a little put off because he caught her so quickly!!!
Old May 10 2007, 07:59 PM   #49
gadhelic
Inactive

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: james clemens Wit'ch gate

Is'nt Ruth classed as a 'sport' rather than undersized - ie a faster, sleeker model??
gadhelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2007, 10:41 PM   #50
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Question for you, would Ruth be considered an albino, perhaps?
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2007, 11:02 PM   #51
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

i wouldn't think so, it says somewhere that he has all the dragon's colors in him. I think it was N'ton at the beginning of Dragonquest...(?)
Old May 11 2007, 10:18 AM   #52
GHarris

Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
i wouldn't think so, it says somewhere that he has all the dragon's colors in him. I think it was N'ton at the beginning of Dragonquest...(?)
I think it was N'ton, but at the beginning of The White Dragon.

And yes, when Ruth was clean, he showed all of the colors very faintly.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2007, 02:29 PM   #53
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

That was explained in the site I linked to earlier. It said that Ruth's rare genetic combination "severely limits the expression of rank and color genes to the point where the basest layer of white is revealed. White, as a color, is when the hide will reflect all wave lengths of light. Variances in the hide may result in single colors being reflected, which is the effect Jaxom described as Ruth being all dragon colors, not an absence of any."
Old May 11 2007, 03:05 PM   #54
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

@GH- yes you're right. i went to check after i got done with my chores.
Old May 25 2007, 01:26 PM   #55
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Question for you, would Ruth be considered an albino, perhaps?
Lessa was worried about that at first, because albinos have no protective pigment in their eyes and have to stay out of sunlight. But Ruth's eyes are normal.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2007, 08:16 AM   #56
bingley
Inactive

Since Jaxom is worried about why Ruth isn't taking part in the mating flights, I assume that at least externally Ruth has male equipment otherwise why would Jaxom think it possible that Ruth would try and fly a female? Maybe it's just some sort of glandular disorder that means Ruth has never hit puberty. It certainly doesn't seem to bother him any.
bingley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7 2008, 12:43 PM   #57
Weyrbrat
Inactive

Now Reading: Misc

Quote:
Perhaps Ruth didn't have the need to mate, because like his smaller overall size, his general mating equipment was smaller too...ending in no drive to mate....just not enough to make it funtion correctly.
lol from what iv seen of men worryin about size, they feel more like provin themselves. and don't they say at some point that ruth is a throwback to early dragons?
Weyrbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2008, 12:21 AM   #58
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Quote:
well, if he ever [I]did[U] show any interest, i don't think the green/gold, whatever, would have had to wait at all-seeing as Ruth is pretty quick. Doesn't he usually get into the air before any of the normal, heavier dragons?

i can actually see the female be a little put off because he caught her so quickly!!!
This, I've always had a bone to pick with, when people say that because he's fast, he'll catch, if he ever shows interest.

Yes, Ruth is extraordinarily fast, but he is also small, smaller even than the greens. If you read a couple of the books - I can't remember which - or, even better, the Dragonlover's Guide to Pern, it often makes reference to the fact that due to their smaller frames, the greens have less endurance, and therefore, can't last a full Fall. They are fast, but they often have to be switched over halfway through to prevent overexhaustion. Sort of like a tag team, if you will.

The same applies for Flight. From what I've seen, females in heat are often bursting with a bit more energy than normal, especially if they blood (which greens rarely do anyway), but they still get tired. However, they'll probably last a fair while. On top of that, they'll be swooping and diving and doing all sorts of strenuous acrobatics.

Considering how much smaller he is, and unless he somehow cheated, I can honestly not see Ruth winning a Flight. If it was a small green, yes, maybe, but he'd still be up against blues and browns and even a few bronzes that would be hell bigger than him, and would probably catch that green before he does. Yes, Ruth is fast, but he's still small, and thus, has limited endurance for such strenuous activities. Besides, I doubt it's always the first one off the ground that catches the green/queen.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2008, 06:42 AM   #59
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

Quote:
And he's not THAT much smaller than a green, so he's not all that freakish.
I'm pretty sure that even 'if' he wanted to, and he put his mind to it, Ruth would be able to endure a flight (refering to, if he thinks he can he will, or whatever). Jaxom really didn't have any qualms about him not enduring. He even asked Ruth if he'd like to fly Path, even though his response was moot.

Now, refering to the whole strenuous acrobatics, diving, and all that other good stuff, doesn't Ruth fly a full fall? He is smaller and faster, yes, but that proves an advantage for him, I think. I figure his agility gives him an upper hand, therfore nullifying the limited endurance querey. Especially since you addressed that the greens have to be switch out during a Fall.

These are just my own thoughts, not facts and I am a tad bit rusty, so to speak. If anyone can prove me wrong, go for it. I like to know the facts.
Old Oct 9 2008, 05:01 PM   #60
draconichybrid
Inactive

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads

No, he isn't -- IIRC, chihuahuas are essentially decorative and not really functional.
That is, (IIRC) they don't inherently "do" anything notable -- at least not like other breeds. You know... border collies are herders, dobermans are protective of their 'families', ect.

Ruth is essentially decorative and functional -- he's not only attractive (i.e., 'decorative'), he's actually the dragon of choice if you want just about anything done right, especially if it's particularly dangerous, unusual and/or time critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Except the Pernese natives don't court each other like humans do. Females don't pair-bond with a specific male--it's whoever catches them in the mating flight.
Umm... Ramoth/Mnementh, Lessa/F'lar? Zaranth/Golanth, F'lessan/Tai?

Care to change your answer a bit, Ryuu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingley View Post
Since Jaxom is worried about why Ruth isn't taking part in the mating flights, I assume that at least externally Ruth has male equipment otherwise why would Jaxom think it possible that Ruth would try and fly a female?
Jaxom wouldn't -- which obviously eliminates 'equipment failure' from the list of possibilities.

Quote:
Maybe it's just some sort of glandular disorder that means Ruth has never hit puberty.
Nope. Ruth has obviously hit puberty.
One: he links with Corona(?) whenever she and Jaxom have sex, and only when they have sex with her.
Two: when Jaxom and Sharra finally consummate their relationship, they're both aware of Ruth joining in as essentially a second male. Can anyone say ménage à trois?

Quote:
It certainly doesn't seem to bother him any.
Of course it doesn't bother Ruth. Why would it?

It's not as if Ruth is at all deprived -- Ruth gets enough of the experience through his link with Jaxom, so he doesn't need to shack up with Path.

Ruth knows that in Jaxom's opinion, Mirrim (Path's rider) is a shrew, and his rider doesn't think of shrews as potential mates. Further, he can't shack up with Path without forcing Jaxom to shack up with Mirrim.
In my mind, Ruth earns himself a shitload of bonus points here, thinking of his rider's preferences.

Jaxom even make sure to specifically note how relieved he was when Ruth decided not to chase after Path -- he knew the extent of Ruth's capabilities better than anyone. Basically, Jaxom was afraid Ruth would actually win if he tried.

Last edited by draconichybrid; Oct 9 2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: additional thoughts....
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2008, 05:49 PM   #61
Weyrbrat
Inactive

Now Reading: Misc

Nice. But maybe he finds the idea of flying a normal dragon disgusting, and thinks it would be weird for him to not fly another sport?
Weyrbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 12:54 AM   #62
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Why would he? He might be smarter than the average dragon, but he's still got dragon instinct. There is such a thing as just not being interested.

Goldrider Thais: In answer to your desire for facts, I don't have White Dragon with me, but I do remember very clearly that Ruth flew down near the Queen's Wing, and not with the fighting wings higher up. He was, to put it simply, helping with mop-up duty. And I daresay that being down with the queens is a lot less strenuous than being up with the fighting wings. And considering the big bronzes are exhausted after all the stuff the fighting wings do, up in such high altitudes*? I still stand by my reasoning that Ruth, though faster/smarter/whatever, he's going to lack in the long-term endurance needed. It's like saying a little zebra will beat those big, hunky thoroughbred racers, or those limber, tough as nails endurance horses, (And yes, I know Stripes beat them big, hunky racers, but let's look at reality from an experienced horse-person's perspective)

*I'm no fighter pilot, and I've only been in a plane twice, but I study altitudes and their compositions and effects in Senior Geography, so I've got a fair idea of what those fighting dragons and their riders endure. It would be...taxing, to say the least. If you don't believe me, then I'll risk his displeasure and throw Electric Dragon's name at you. I've read his posts when he references the matter, and even asked a question or two myself, so I'm sure he can quite descriptively tell you that fighting in high altitudes like that is no picnic.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Oct 11 2008, 01:00 AM   #63
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconichybrid View Post

Umm... Ramoth/Mnementh, Lessa/F'lar? Zaranth/Golanth, F'lessan/Tai?
I don't deny that over time, the dragons would pair-bond, in a way, particularly if their riders have a strong love and loyalty towards one another (example, F'lar and Lessa, as you said). However, I don't think the whole pair-bonding idea is a totally permanent idea.

Why? Because in a Flight, the female is trying to get away from every pursuing male, and is also essentially, if she's fertile like a queen, looking for the most virile male to assist in producing a good clutch. Survival of the fittest and instinct, and all that. In Ramoth's case, Mnementh happens to be that male and probably the only one that can catch her, and then there's also rider influence. Riders don't have a huge amount of influence on their dragon's mating choices most of the time, but they have some say, by the looks of it, and I do think Ramoth's attachment to Mnementh stems from the fact that she's one uber alpha-femmy who demands no one but the best, and also because of Lessa's preference, to an extent.

"No one flies Ramoth but Mnementh!"

Remember this line in DF?

So yeah, attachments may form, but I doubt there'd be a particular fuss if one day, Mnementh didn't catch because there was this other bronze Hunkofhotmeateth who was better. Ramoth will probably pat Mnementh on the head and say, Try a bit harder and better luck next time, sweetheart.

The riders on the other hand...well, we won't go there.

Old Oct 11 2008, 06:48 AM   #64
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Quote:
Jaxom even make sure to specifically note how relieved he was when Ruth decided not to chase after Path -- he knew the extent of Ruth's capabilities better than anyone. Basically, Jaxom was afraid Ruth would actually win if he tried.
Maybe, but I think it was more he was too chicken shit to think of the idea of shacking up with Mirrim. Oh, the fanfiction possibilities...fur flying...the hills alive with the sounds of screeching...

Old Oct 11 2008, 12:31 PM   #65
draconichybrid
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
I don't deny that over time, the dragons would pair-bond, in a way, particularly if their riders have a strong love and loyalty towards one another (example, F'lar and Lessa, as you said). However, I don't think the whole pair-bonding idea is a totally permanent idea.
True, but pair-bonding does happen occasionally -- and your answer didn't allow for it. That was my point.

Quote:
Maybe, but I think it was more he was too chicken shit to think of the idea of shacking up with Mirrim. Oh, the fanfiction possibilities...fur flying...the hills alive with the sounds of screeching...
... ... ... Why would he be scared? It's not like he's a virgin at that point, Dragongirl -- or did you forget that Minor Holder's daughter, the one I can never remember the name of because I don't like her. What is it? Corona?

Again, its pretty obvious Jaxom was relieved when Ruth decided not to chase after Path because he didn't want to sleep with her rider.
Old Oct 11 2008, 12:45 PM   #66
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Um, excuse me? My answer DID allow for it to happen, but I also said that it doesn't mean they won't change who catches who now and then.

I'm not Ryuu, in case the gender difference didn't register. He didn't allow for it, I did, to a point.

And uh, yeah, I did remember Corana. What I said up there; it's this thing called joking. Mirrim's a scary sort of girl at best, and I just found it funny. But hey, you want serious? Well then, yes, I think Ruth could have chased Path, but I don't think he would ultimately catch her, like everyone seems to think he will.

As I said before, he's fast, but he's still endurance limited. He's smart, yes, he's fast, yes, but he's small. If he was interested, maybe he'd catch a green, but I'm also looking at his being against bigger blues, browns and a few bronzes. He'd have heart, because he's like that, but he's still smaller than the rest.

Old Oct 11 2008, 06:33 PM   #67
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that even 'if' he wanted to, and he put his mind to it, Ruth would be able to endure a flight (refering to, if he thinks he can he will, or whatever). Jaxom really didn't have any qualms about him not enduring. He even asked Ruth if he'd like to fly Path, even though his response was moot.

Now, refering to the whole strenuous acrobatics, diving, and all that other good stuff, doesn't Ruth fly a full fall? He is smaller and faster, yes, but that proves an advantage for him, I think. I figure his agility gives him an upper hand, therfore nullifying the limited endurance querey. Especially since you addressed that the greens have to be switch out during a Fall.

These are just my own thoughts, not facts and I am a tad bit rusty, so to speak. If anyone can prove me wrong, go for it. I like to know the facts.
I do not think it was mentioned that Ruth flew a full fall. The first one he was told to stop part way threw the first fall so that he would not be noticed. In the cove they only followed thread until it gat passed them. Again not a full fall.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 10:52 AM   #68
draconichybrid
Inactive

Quote:
Um, excuse me? My answer DID allow for it to happen, but I also said that it doesn't mean they won't change who catches who now and then.

I'm not Ryuu, in case the gender difference didn't register. He didn't allow for it, I did, to a point.
It looks like you're right on this one. Oops.

Quote:
And uh, yeah, I did remember Corana. What I said up there; it's this thing called joking. Mirrim's a scary sort of girl at best, and I just found it funny. But hey, you want serious? Well then, yes, I think Ruth could have chased Path, but I don't think he would ultimately catch her, like everyone seems to think he will.
You don't? I don't have my books with me atm -- so I can't give exact quotes -- but... as Ruth points out Jaxom -- and Menolly (who doesn't call him a liar, which is rather suggestive) -- Path's 'not as fast as I am in the air' and evidentially he's even managed to catch her a few times at the 'Telger(?) games'.

Quote:
As I said before, he's fast, but he's still endurance limited. He's smart, yes, he's fast, yes, but he's small. If he was interested, maybe he'd catch a green, but I'm also looking at his being against bigger blues, browns and a few bronzes. He'd have heart, because he's like that, but he's still smaller than the rest.
Again, it looks as though he's caught Path before -- not a mating flight, true, but still....

And I stand corrected on another thing -- the Green who was flown the day of the weryling exercise was some nameless green, not Path.
Old Oct 13 2008, 07:56 PM   #69
Brenda

Yes, that flight was over Fort Weyr, not Benden.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2008, 09:17 AM   #70
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Goldrider Thais: In answer to your desire for facts, I don't have White Dragon with me, but I do remember very clearly that Ruth flew down near the Queen's Wing, and not with the fighting wings higher up. He was, to put it simply, helping with mop-up duty. And I daresay that being down with the queens is a lot less strenuous than being up with the fighting wings.
I think it would be just as strenuous. First of all the queens are going to be hard to keep up with, being so much larger. Ruth will have to beat his wings many more times to match one of their wingbeats, just like a toddler trying to keep up with adults walking at their own pace. Plus, Ruth seemed to be described as weaving in and out of their stable formation, which is also a lot more strenuous.

All together I think it'd be at least as physically strenuous as flying with a fighting wing, and that Ruth certainly couldn't fly a full Fall (just as greens and blues can't).
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23 2008, 02:54 AM   #71
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

When asked about Path, he said that he out flew her (Path) in all the races they had at the Telgar SmithCraftHall. TWD

He reacted to the proddy green at Fort Wey, by taking Jaxom to see Con (sp) for his rider (Jaxom) needs and he ejoyed the emotions of it. TWD

He knew that Sharon (sp), could hear him, and did not like having Jaxom mind not open to him. He called her and with her help his rider was aided TWD

I know all my bits come from my mind just not pg number. LOL
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...35&postcount=2 <Sinp>
There's a scene in WD where a green rises. The event does not set off a stampede. Instead there appear to be something like a handful or double handful of pairs that are interested in the event. Those dragons launch after the green, and the riders rapidly repair to a room set aside at Fort Weyr for such purposes.

Jaxom and Ruth are present for training, and the Weyrlingmaster's reaction is instructive. The Weyrlingmaster and his dragon show no interest in the flight, although the Weyrlingmaster acts as if it will be and/or produce a headache. His primary concerns are 1) Is Ruth interested in the flight? and 2) Distracting the Weyrlings from the proceedings.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Oct 23 2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: I think I found it. :D Where the note is
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2008, 06:19 PM   #72
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

having just finished The White Dragon I have to say that I fell in love with Ruth all over again...I especially love the way Ruth gives a running commentary when flying against thread (Cove Hold) and how he stands up to Canth when Jaxom and Ruth returned from the first trip to Landing and F'Nor and Canth are rude about them being "late"....
When he bellowed at the fire lizards so loudly that he scared himself and startled Canth was funny also....
I guess it comes from my grandson's reactions to friends but Ruth bugling in tenor to welcome everyone made me laugh (My grandson (nearly 3) considered all of last night's trick or treaters friends and could not understand why they would not come into the house to play...

re: Ruth flew above the queen's wing over Ruatha and High Reaches...At Cove he flew thread with Benden (with Canth and Tiroth while Jaxom was sick)....His small size and extra manueverability was in part responsible for that placement....but while Jaxom is a dragon rider (Ruth being a dragon) Jaxom is more Lord Holder (eventually) than Dragonrider and Ruth is unique in many ways...As one book says at the end (ROP or ATWOP) Where would Pern be if Jaxom had not helped Ruth be born?

Last edited by Emeraldrose; Nov 1 2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: to add additional comments
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26 2008, 11:32 AM   #73
Maleus
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Green Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Default Re : Is Ruth a run... er, rat-dragon?

Ruth is definitively not a dragon dwarf What's make him special is not his size nor his color by the way. Ruth is a whole new type of dragon. And I suppose even Litty Ping did not suspect one like him could come up from her genetical plan.

I recall reading somewhere that Ruth was not only smaller, but also much much closer to firelizards that any 9th Pass dragon. Closer not by mere size, nor basic mind, but by its wit, its chatting tendancy, its independance, etc. That's why firelizards liked him so much, because he could behave diplomatically! Not like all these giant cousins of their or their ill-tempered human mates

When it comes to what Jaxom and him share, it sounds much richer than what dragon and riders do. Even Ramoth or Mnementh reach their limit quite rapidly when F'lar or Lessa absent-mindedly wonder something. He also is one of the rare dragon who accept being ridden by another person than his rider.

All this makes him special, like if he was the next step in Dragon evolution. Like if smaller size has been necessary to develop something more and take a giant step to dragon self-awareness. Dragons in the 9th Pass are already much more intelligent than their ancestors. Maybe in the After-Thread era, dragons will be able to live independently of a rider, with a true non-birth-induced friendship bond?
Maleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2008, 09:41 PM   #74
Danel
Inactive

Fan of: Harperhall Trilogy
Now Reading: The Crown by Deborah Chester

Maleus,

I've dabbeld in Pern fanfiction before, and was thinking of just such a ridderless Dragon story, not a few hours before reading your post.
Danel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29 2008, 07:46 AM   #75
Maleus
Inactive

Now Reading: Green Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
Default Re : Is Ruth a run... er, rat-dragon?

Hey Danel, as we say in France, "Great minds always meet"
Is this not what's "Meeting of Mind" if for anyway?
Maleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29 2008, 08:45 AM   #76
elvenart
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

I know that in Earth reptiles, there are several coloration mutations possible that don't necessarily affect health to much of a degree. One, called hypermellanistic, is,I believe , where the pigmentation appears to be whitish with large quantities of red. There is another in which the animal appears to be albino. It is given away that it is not albino, but simply a color ,or lack thereof,variation. However, in both cases , they are not adversely affected, if I remember. In fact, reptile breeders actually breed these specific traits into the snakes, lizards, etc.

Ruth could just be exhibiting these type of traits, more as a throughback in terms of size and color. True, he was not a specific color, rather shades of all, But I believe that such a variation could theoretically be possible.
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2009, 06:21 AM   #77
DragonDance
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I pretty much believe that Ruth perceives himself as a "he" because Jaxom is.
I completely, one-hundred percent agree with you. Ruth is gender-neutral, but loves/looks up to Jaxom to the extent of taking pronoun orientation cues from him.

I feel the argumentthat he is male because he feels Jaxom's orgasm doesn't hold any water. That he fels it could be explained simply by impression; besides, Ruth states later that he also feels Sharra's pleasure. Not that it means anything: green dragons and their male riders share sexual pleasure easily enough, and they are different genders.

Do the other dragons ever refer to Ruth with a male pronoun? All I can remember right now is Ramoth saying "Ruth will prosper," not, "He will prosper."
DragonDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2009, 01:58 AM   #78
Old Hippie
Inactive

Now Reading: Mutineer's Moon

It was stated in the books that small eggs happen once in awhile in a queens clutch and that the Wyer leader will take the egg between. It would seem the in Ruth's case, he is a runt in the nest. And because Jaxom was the only person to break impression rules of being a non-canidate, there was no previous "small" dragon in the known history of the wyers (at this time). The question could be: is he a runt or a throw-back?
Old Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2009, 05:41 PM   #79
Danel
Inactive

Fan of: Harperhall Trilogy
Now Reading: The Crown by Deborah Chester

I'd have to chime in that if ruth was missing genetilia, that would of been noted by dragonriders almost immediately. He was a he.

My feelings on his sexuality, I don't think it's an absence of the drive but that Ruth being the most profound thinking of the dragons and Unique, would only be attracted to another dragon as Unique as him in some way.

All the other dragons to him, are just so plain they don't interest him in the least.
Danel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16 2012, 06:08 PM   #80
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

So Ruth is Pern's first and only asexual and aromantic (completely uninterested in mating or having the dragon equivalent of a romance) dragon? That's kinda neat.