A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

View Poll Results: What dragon would you come back as?
blue 10 17.24%
green 10 17.24%
brown 15 25.86%
bronze 4 6.90%
gold 19 32.76%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 31 2006, 11:48 PM   #41
Ailiah
Inactive

Location: In the State of Confusion, in the country of Insanity
Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Exile's Valor
Default Re: A White Sport's Coat and Reincarnation

Saylea, I have!! lol and I chose Green just cause i'm a girl and i'm fiesty... but the quiz said i was Bronze << Chuckles evilly>> why do i always come out male on these things?
Ailiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2006, 07:29 AM   #42
Platinum
Inactive

Green cos of my personality *Evil grin*
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2006, 08:13 AM   #43
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum
Green cos of my personality *Evil grin*
Once again hinting that we two are related, Plat?
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2006, 10:35 AM   #44
Platinum
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Once again hinting that we two are related, Plat?
Seperated at birth huh?

that first quiz on the thread, BTW, put me as a red dragon. Most fun
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2006, 01:00 AM   #45
Saylea
Inactive

Fan of: Master Robinton
Now Reading: Mutants On Genetic Variety and the Human Body

Lily

What I was refering to was the name of a Jimmy Buffett CD I was wondering if anyone would get the referance
Saylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2006, 06:39 AM   #46
Sylvrena
Inactive

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: just finished Dolphins of Pern

i took the test twice and first came out a green and then a gold.. which i think was probbaly more accurate, after reading the questions again.. especially since i always seem to take control in situations and lately everyone keeps saying i act like a mom, even though im not yet! lol

but if i was going off my favorite color it be blue
Sylvrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2008, 12:33 AM   #47
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Bronze, as always. Military aviation doesn't attract retiring types, followers or nurturers. Every one of us is unfailingly convinced that we are simply the best; we're relentlessly competitive; and we'll always target the smartest, most-attractive and most-provocative female in sight (going for anything less just isn't a challenge). Sound like a dragon you know which shall remain nameless, but has an 8-letter name beginning with "m"?
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2008, 04:03 AM   #48
Zanthra
Inactive

I really don't know what color dragon I would be. I always felt that the personality differences between the dragon colors were based on nurture rather than nature, and mental and phisical capabilities are based on color.

I can't even go off my favorite color because that happens to be white, (it has been for a long time) and there is only one white dragon. Unless I reincarnated as Ruth, but that would be unfair to the billions of other people who want to reincarnate as him.

Studying as an EMT, and a passing interest in M.D. got me gold on one of the quizes. That may just be a reference to Moreta who happened to have that as a career choice before becoming a dragonrider; golds don't seem to know anything more about healing other dragons than any other color does.

Browns have always held a bit of my heart. I always think that the golds see the blues and the greens as beneath them, then conversely the greens see the golds and the bronzes as high and mighty and in charge of everything - not much repsect either way. The browns I see as everyone's friend, and they seem rather rare; Canth is the only one I can name.

Besides, it's not as if any color is well known for their interest in knowledge, and computer programming, science, and psychology are not exactly characteristic of any dragons I can recall. Except perhaps for the fact that my particular interest in psychology was non-human inteligence, and dolphins were very high on that list. Gadareth however could have just as easialy been any other color and still have been interested in dolphins.
Zanthra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2008, 06:08 PM   #49
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Gold Re: A White Sport's Coat and Reincarnation

Golds are supposedly leader types, and I would consider myself a follower, but I'm also agressively independant, and have a healthy streak of arrogance, so I think I would be a gold, but a lofty, detached, ever-watchful one. They're the only ones that have the ability to do whatever the heck they want.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2008, 08:02 PM   #50
Blue Rider 16
Dylanist

Fan of: The Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern

I would be blue. They have always been my favorite and they are one of the smaller ones (like me). The only problem would be I would want to be a father, which I would have to be a bronze or brown for. But blue, definitely blue.
Old Aug 31 2008, 10:39 PM   #51
Greenrider Dawna
Inactive

Fan of: Harper Hall series
Now Reading: This changes frequently!

Who says there can't be a second white? If I were to come back as a dragon, I'd like to be one that is unique!
Greenrider Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2008, 03:00 PM   #52
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Given the title of this thread, I was a little surprised that being a white dragon wasn't one olf the choices!

"You know what they say about dress whites and gold wings. . . " No, actually I don't, what do "they" say?

So, is it alright if white is one of the color choices? I would want to be a white, I dare to be different, and I kinda like it!

Last edited by Weyrlady; Sep 1 2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: typos
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11 2008, 02:16 PM   #53
Thea
Inactive

Fan of: Crystal Singer, Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I think I'd probably come back as a gold dragon, although most likely a junior one, given my nature. A quiz I took a while back seemed to suggest that much, too.
Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11 2008, 06:39 PM   #54
proserpine
Inactive

Fan of: Moreta

I'd probably go brown or blue, because there's no leadership position expected and I could be alone if I wanted too, and they're pretty smart.
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14 2008, 02:43 AM   #55
T'mynn
Inactive

Fan of: All books
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern

The llink wouldn't work so I found other quizzes.
I'd ride a gold dragon. quiz 2, I'd impress a Bronze or gold dragon, and quiz 3. Bronze.
T'mynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2008, 05:24 AM   #56
Goldrider Thais
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight <3 F'lar fan
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray

<--- A Gold, of course! Darith would have it no other way.
Goldrider Thais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2008, 06:50 AM   #57
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Bronze, as always. Military aviation doesn't attract retiring types, followers or nurturers. Every one of us is unfailingly convinced that we are simply the best; we're relentlessly competitive; and we'll always target the smartest, most-attractive and most-provocative female in sight (going for anything less just isn't a challenge). Sound like a dragon you know which shall remain nameless, but has an 8-letter name beginning with "m"?
*snorts with laughter*

"Object sighted at 2200 hours. Appears to of a fine make, with a big golden rear and a healthy set of...wings. Proceed...Locking onto target?"

I'm sorry. I had to do it.

Back on the question, I think I'd probably come back as a brown dragon. From experience so far, I'm always the second-in-command type, the one who will hover two steps to the right and behind the grand leader, (even if it's just a school assignment), and work my ass off to ensure everything runs smoothly, make sure the orders are clearly understood, and ensure that everyone is doing their part of the job right. But rather than step up and make the opening speech or confirm upfront whether everything is good, I'd much rather stand back and let whoever's "grand leader" take over that, and allow them the spotlight.

At the same time though, I don't mind having to play the leader if need be, but I'd still much rather be that brown Wing Second, because it means I can get things done. On top of that, I don't like the idea of being "big leader" of something, because when you're a big leader, you have to watch what you say, how you voice your opinions, just so you don't upset those other pompous monkeys. Second in command, like a brown...I reckon you'd be allowed to voice what you really think on the matter, with only your superior there to reprimand you, (and most good leaders generally prefer their blunt, straight-laced second, no?)

(Ha, on that dragon that starts with "M", ED, I don't think his rider is entirely far from that description either. Maybe not with the "most attractive", but you get my drift. ).

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2009, 01:10 PM   #58
Brenda

Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26 2009, 03:09 PM   #59
Danikat
Inactive

Given total freedom of choice I'd probably pick blue or maybe brown.

I think I might just be used to being small but I like the idea of the blues and greens greater agility and the lack of responsibility. As for choosing between the two I don't think I have the personality to be a green, the blues seem more 'steady' and less rash. Plus blue is my favourite colour and I really like the shade(s) used for the dragons, and I've always wondered what it'd be like to be male.

Only thing that makes me think I might be better suited to being a brown is that I tend to always end up in a sort of 'middle' position between authority figures and the general populous - I like being the one people feel they can approach to ask questions, the one who's really just 'one of the gang' but with a badge and that's kind of how I see the wingseconds - if a rider doesn't want to bring something up with their wing/weyr leader they can approach the second instead, sort of the safer option (esspecially if they know they're in trouble).

In reality though I suspect I'd be tied to being female so I'd probably go for being a junior queen because it's pretty much the female equivilent of a brown. At one point I had this whole fantasy about being reborn as a human on Pern - I'd be born somewhere in Keroon and probably get as far as an apprenticeship in beastmastery before being searched and ending up as a junior queen rider at Ista Weyr.

But blue will always be my favourite dragon colour.
Danikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2009, 11:24 AM   #60
Brenda

It seems a LOT of people around here have had similar fantasies...
Old Mar 30 2009, 07:18 PM   #61
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Personally, I think that being a junior queen rider would be the way to go. You and your dragon have responsibility, but not nearly as much as the Weyrwoman/Leader, but you still have enough 'status' so that others listen to and respect you if necessary. You wouldn't be expected to stay home and make babies, nor would you have to practice a craft all the time. You would have the freedom to explore the world- you and your dragon wouldn't be tied down to ANYTHING and you would have a lot of self-determination and independence.

Plus, when your dragon rises, you get to "get it on" with bronze rider who may just possibly be a hottie- and you don't have to keep him. The Jr. Queens can switch off every time if they want, and there are not huge consequences for the Weyr.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30 2009, 07:32 PM   #62
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

One potential problem, Weyrlady -- you never know when a junior might suddenly become senior. And then you're stuck in that position for life. If you're aiming to not have too much responsibility, then just know you're taking a big gamble!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2009, 04:47 AM   #63
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
*angelic look* Yes?

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2009, 08:07 AM   #64
Danikat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
One potential problem, Weyrlady -- you never know when a junior might suddenly become senior. And then you're stuck in that position for life. If you're aiming to not have too much responsibility, then just know you're taking a big gamble!
But see, that's making the mistake of dragging reality back into the fantasy.

It's much more fun to play with crazy ideas when it all goes the way you want!
Danikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2009, 02:00 AM   #65
Greenrider Dawna
Inactive

Fan of: Harper Hall series
Now Reading: This changes frequently!

Wouldn't that be the beauty of being a greenrider? You get the fun without all the responsibility.
Greenrider Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2009, 05:26 AM   #66
Brenda

Unless you're Mirrim and take on unnecessary responsibility...
Old Jun 1 2009, 02:54 AM   #67
shepherdessdog
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Rowan and family
Now Reading: Prophecy by Elizabeth Haydon

I think that I would probably come back as a brown dragon, even though I'm a female. The reason is that I like to be dependable, I like to be stronger than average but I don't necessarily want to be top dog. I'd be happier in a wingsecond position than as a wingleader or Weyrleader/Weyrwoman.

Actually, the only real appeal for being a gold dragon for me is BABIES!!! I have that maternal instinct. I'd be sad as a green dragon always getting laid and never popping out any eggs. I've always believed that sex with the desire and intent of having children is the best kind there is, since that's what it's FOR (not knocking fun sex of course! :P )
shepherdessdog is offline   Reply With Quote