A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Crystal Singer and Brainships

View Poll Results: Who would you want to see immortalised on film?
Helva the Singer 3 20.00%
Hypatia and Alex's search for the Eskays 7 46.67%
Carialle, Keff and the Mythic Beasts 2 13.33%
Nancia's morality play 0 0%
Simeon, the City 2 13.33%
Another major player I may have forgotten! 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 13 2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Big Grin Brains on TV!

I was sat around wondering the other day (as you do), and a thought struck me. There has been talk for some years about making DRoP into some kind of TV series or movie or cartoon or somesuch, but what with their being a large market out there for the harder sci-fi that is set in space (well, I'm no publisher or media type but I am presuming so!) how about the BB series of books being made into something visual?

Who would you want to see being made over in this way? The adventures of Helva as she sings around the galaxy? Alex and Tia as they track down the EsKay homeworld? Carialle as she and Keff scoot around trying to find more beasties? Perhaps Nancia as she tries to balance her morals against a very amoral universe? Or Simeon's life story?

I'm not actually sure who I would vote for, to be honest! I think that Helva's is a very 'tellable' story and it does break up nicely into sections. But then the EsKay search could be a pretty good series too.

So what do all of you Brain-lovers think????
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Brains on TV!

Hypathia without a doubt; I think hers is the best story to be made into a movie/TV show!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Tia, if only because she's my favorite..

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I've long thought that the Brainships would make a great TV show. Though rather than try to turn a specific book into a show, I think they could create a new character. That way they're not tied to a plot that might not translate perfectly onto the screen -- and won't upset fans by changing it. Some of the 'real' brainships could have cameos from time to time.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2007, 04:27 AM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I like Cheryl's idea. But if they do decide to use one of Anne's characters, I'd suggest Tia. Mainly because as we know her as a mobile human child, she'll be that much easier to relate to as a character for most people. Otherwise the temptation to insert a human face on one viewscreen so that the brawn has a human to interact with would be all too tempting, and that would change Anne's concept a bit too much for my taste. With Hypatia, we also get the MotoProsthetic body near the end, making the character even more human.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Mmm. I hadn't considered the angle that Cheryl suggested! It would make a lot of sense!

And Granath is right too - a face on a viewscreen would rather defeat the purpose of the entire Brain-Brawn dynamic. Brawn's are trained to accept that the entire ship (or City or Station) is one extension of that being - although some Brains project an image in certain cases, it would not appear to be the norm.

It's quite interesting that Tia is (so far) the favourite. Is it, as Granath touch upon, the fact that there is more of a human aspect to her? We get to see her personality as a human child, the effects of her illness and how it effects her life as a shellperson. All the others we see purely as the entity of Brain. It is only Tia who has that 'extra' part.
Old Aug 14 2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Brawns may be trained to accept it, and as readers we're used to the idea (and anyway you can't see a face when you read). However I would suspect that if it ever was developed for tv, that they would do a face on a viewscreen to help the audience relate.

And I don't honestly think that detracts too much from it, less so that than the idea of the full moto-body that Tia gets.
Old Aug 14 2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

For those of you have ever watched the UK comedy 'Red Dwarf', the image of Holly rather springs to mind (and probably quite unfairly) as to one avenue 'they' could explore.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, suffice it to say that Holly was the ship's computer who was a disembodied head on a TV screen. It was made in the 90s and the effects for Holly were not that good, and it really was a small TV screen.

Do you think Tia wanted the body so much because she'd already had one?
Old Aug 14 2007, 03:47 PM   #9
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I think so. She knew what it felt like to have a body, and I suspect they couldn't condition her as much as they conditioned babies shelled at a few months of age. After all, Tia still needs to sleep for three hours a day, unlike Helva or any other brainship we hear about. I wonder if Moira needs to sleep as well...
Old Aug 14 2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Naturally I would love to see *Helva* come to the screen...just as Anne wrote it. But for the T.V. small screen I can see Cheryl's idea been a very realistic one that actually could be made into a fantastic series...and very contemporary with the very intelligent ship that has all this personality and the brawns that keep changing from time to time as do the passengers.
I do see the real benifit to doing Tia also..her robotic body would add reall intrest to different episodes where she could leave her ship for short periods of time...WOW this is all so interesting now I want to see some outfit really make it!!!

P.S. Thank you Gidget for thinking up this one...this really will give me some lovely daydreams to think on...and a T.V. show/movie to hope for...someday!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2007, 07:46 AM   #11
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Thank you Gidget for thinking up this one...this really will give me some lovely daydreams to think on...and a T.V. show/movie to hope for...someday!!!
LOL Thanks Lady M! Always glad to help

I've been thinking more about Cheryl's idea and the more I think on it, the more it makes very good sense. I'm sure that it would also avoid some kind of copyright issues!!!

*sigh* Yeah, it would be cool to think that one day, sandwiched between the endless reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond and Star Trek: Enterprise there could be a show about Brains.
Old Aug 15 2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

It doesn't avoid copyright issues, anyone developing such a show would still have to buy the rights to the books. But it avoids annoying fans by not living up to their expectations of how a book should translate to tv.
Old Aug 15 2007, 02:06 PM   #13
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Tia, for the reasons mentioned above. And I reckon it'd make a great episodic mini-series.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2007, 10:50 PM   #14
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

As much as I would like to see Helva's tale brought to the screen , I think Tia's tale would most likely make a better story to start out with. Undoubtedly, if her tale were to prove sucessful enough, it could probably lead to the others being adapted.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2007, 12:46 PM   #15
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Although to be frank, there are some glaring continuity issues in SSearched as well, such as when conversations are recorded in the cabin and when they aren't. Tia wasn't worrying about recordings when Alex blackmailed her (unintentionally, but nevertheless) into taking him as her brawn, but certainly later. And I wondered last time I read when they were on the treasure cache planet how Alex dared to get out of his suit while they were still under the snow. That's when they discovered the things about the EsKay maps, and he walked in stockinged feet, etc. He should've stayed in the suit, preferably until it could be purged in space.
Old Sep 5 2007, 04:39 AM   #16
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I always thought that they'd be better on radio...

I mean, even with CGI you'd have problems with Fred.