A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Dec 5 2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Something new, unknown and unusual

About two momths ago my McCaffrey ebay searches revealed something of which I never even knew it existed. Furthermore I didn't even know Anne attended th convention in question, although it should be said it is/was not one of the better known ones.

I managed to acquire the program book for the "4. science fiction-tage NRW" which stands for the "fourth science fiction-day of the German state of Nordrhein-Westfalen"

Front cover of the program booklet (size A5)

The convention was held over the weekend of 6 and 7 July 1991 in a conference center in Düsseldorf (near where Anne used to live when she and her family were living in Germany much earlier).

Priscilla and I especially (and probably many others with us) would have loved being there (and if I had know of it I would certainly ave been there!) because the Guests of Honour were Anne McCaffrey, Terry Pratchett and Ian Watson.
Anne's GOH speech was titled: "Alternative Welten, die faszination der Drachenwelten" (Alternative worlds, the fascination of dragon worlds) and it was the opening speech. Later that same day Anne held a talk titled "The Dragonlady in Dragonhold" so she had an easy con as she only had one presentation the next day "Bilderdrachen/Drachenbilder" (Dragonpictures, a slide show) and I don't think it were her slides but think she was expected to be there.

In the program book the attending authors have a "Atogrammenseite" a signature page". Anne's is accompanied by her usual short blurb on hersef, in German of course. Here it is:

The seller says the booklet is rare but there were no other bidders and the price stayed at a reasonable 5 euros / just over $6 without postage, so I had a great deal (I think). It must indeed be rare because it's the first I have seen in all my years of seraching the internet. Which isn't surprising with the day not being a big con, the list with pre-registered people is even shorter than Eurocon 2007's with, surprisingly enough only two Dutch names, one Belgian and five British. The list of members of the organisation committee is almost as long

Any which way it's a nice addition to my international Anne McCaffrey collection.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Something new, unknown and unusual

Very nice, Hans! I love the SF programs...there's just something about them...and to know that Anne was so featured in this little one is super! Thanks for finding this Hans!
Old Dec 6 2008, 02:26 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Oh Hans Congratulations again.... this is lovely...and I would most certainly agree that you got a lovely bargain. Plus... you now own a real rare treasure, for a McCaffrey collector.
I also love the photo that they have in it...as it's one that I also have...well actually I have two different ones from that same photo session...both of them different poses and both signed.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 02:29 AM   #4
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Cool, splenderific! (Splendid + terrific = splenderific!)

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Well done, as usual!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote