A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Nov 10 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on
Default Ral Partha Bronze Dragon of Pern

My birthday is next month and I always keep a lookout for something special I can add to my Anne collection. I have been wanting one of the Bronze dragons by Ral Partha for a long time, but they always seem to go for $200 plus on eBay whenever I see one. I was watching one last week but it went over my $100 birthday gift level(my wife and I always give each other a $100 bill plus other small gifts for birthdays). I was disappointed that I didn't get the one last week, when lo and behold as I was scanning eBay today, under a "Pern" search, there was another Bronze dragon. Best of all, it was not for bid, but buy it now for $99.95 plus shipping. Right in my price range! Well, to say the least, I am now the proud and soon to be owner of a Bronze Dragon. I have to decide if I wait for the 13th of Dec. to open it or not. It's always fun to be able to check off another item off my "got to have" list.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: Ral Partha Bronze Dragon of Pern

Neat, I hope you can post images of it
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

HOLY COW...BRUCE
CONGRATULATIONS on such an amazing find

The Ral Partha Pern Bronze Dragon is extremely rare to even see one for sale, much less to actually own one...congratulations on such a wonderful addition to your growing collection. PICTURES...P L E A S E

P.S. I don't know how strong you are...???...but for me I couldn't/wouldn't be able to wait to open it up!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

That's a great find, Bruce, and if I had seen it before you did I would have snatched it! I am looking for one for years, but like you I find 200 dollars too much for the trinket

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Bruce
Rocksquat

Thank you all! Lady M, I will in all probability open it when I get it and just consider it an early Bday present. Hans, I feel so blessed to have this wonderful and rare item just fall into my lap. I was not expecting to see another Bronze dragon offered again so quickly, especially as a "buy now" and in my price range.
Now I have to decide if I just leave it as it is or try to assemble and paint it. I will at the least, probably assemble it and find a display case for it. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old Nov 11 2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Tough decisions, tough decisions. To leave it as is or assemble it.
I would certainly unpack it, might even assemble it. But I'm not artostic enough to paint it and the miniature certainly needs that to be perfect (see photo of painted one in the Pern Museum: http://www.pern.nl/art_gallery/official/guthrie.html)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 11 2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Lily

That's wonderful Bruce. And I would certainly unpack it too! I hope you get a lot of pleasure from assembling it and just having it afterwards.

Hans - thank you for pointing us in the direction of the pictures. I was all set to go looking for some. I find your PernMuseum very useful when I think of something I'd like to refresh my memory on about Pern.
Old Nov 11 2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Bruce
Rocksquat

Hans, those photos are what make me want to paint it, but I'm not real skilled in that area. I think I'll be satisfied just having it on display in my Anne area.
Old Nov 12 2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I had forgotten how beautiful it is...especially painted like they have in the photos.

Bruce...I do hope you open it. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy a treasure from inside a plastic package. I think most of those people who keep them in the package, do it so that when they sell them, they can get a better price for it...thats kind of sad to me.
I would want to be able to hold it, turn it all around and enjoy it... the way it was suppose be enjoyed...even if you don't ever paint it, it would still look something like one of the pewter figurines that are for sale...I have several and they are all quite beautiful to look at.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Nov 12 2012, 03:28 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Hans, those photos are what make me want to paint it, but I'm not real skilled in that area. I think I'll be satisfied just having it on display in my Anne area.
So, the same as me If I had one I would probably have asked my mother to paint it; she was real good at that. If I got one now I might want to investigate among my friends, to see if there is an accomplished painter among them, I might have to send it to a certain friend in California , of whom I am certain she would do a fantastic job if it But alas, it's all wishful thinking.

Old Nov 12 2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Bruce
Rocksquat

Lady M, I'm with you. It seems such a shame to not open and enjoy fully such a fun addition to my collection. While I understand about keeping "rare" items pristine, that would be only if I was planning to resale the item. I like to and do fully enjoy each and every piece in my collection, not only looking at them, but sharing them with others.
Hans, I might at the least attempt painting the dragon, so I can have a "Bronze" bronze dragon. I'll check out one of the local modeling hobby shops for tips if I do.
Old Nov 12 2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Wow, fantastic find. Although I haven't been actively collecting for a number of years now, I would have snatched it up at that price too!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Bruce
Rocksquat

Thank you Cheryl, to miss one chance at this item on the 8th and then to win one on the 10th was a fun surprise. Like everyone, I too have to watch my budget for collecting, but an upcoming Bday is always a good excuse to add to the collection.
Old Nov 13 2012, 01:19 AM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...dear friend...if and when...I think you could make a pretty secure bet. that your friend in California, would be extremely happy to paint it for you...

Bruce...I think that you might actually find someone in a local modeling club that could also paint it for you...after checking out other things the member has painted, making sure they are accomplished at painting miniatures.

Might cost you a bob or two...but it might be worth it to you!?!

Old Nov 13 2012, 02:51 AM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

You can get professional model painting services. They usually work on wargaming miniatures (which do include dragons sometimes depending on what kind of wargaming is going on).

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one of these now.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Edith...Now that Bruce has brought this to our attention again, we're ALL going to be keeping at least one eye out for them...

Old Nov 25 2012, 03:22 PM   #17
Bruce
Rocksquat

So I finally had a chance to open up my Ral Partha Bronze dragon. I've been delayed by too many things. First, a young lady I worked with a the Post Office was killed in a one car rollover. She was only 26, and leaves behind a 5 year old daughter. There was a viewing and then the funeral. Very sad! Next was my youngest son's Bday, he turned 24. Then there has just been to much mail to deliver. Tons of catalogues right now, to be followed by all the packages that people will be ordering, and I will be delivering from now till Xmas.
Anyways, the statue of the dragon is incredible. Great detail and craftsmanship. Also very heavy for it's size, but to be expected as it is metal. All the pieces, box and instructions are just like the pics I have seen before, but now I have One in my own two hands.
One thing I have been thinking about was the painting of the dragon. Now there has been some great suggestions, but I had sort of a different idea. I love The White Dragon and I'm kicking around the idea of painting my "bronze" dragon WHITE! I would not attach the included riders as they are on scale for a full size dragon, but would have my dragon stand alone as my own personal "Ruth". Something I'm pondering.
I'm going to check out some of the local hobby shops for supplies and see what I need. The painting would probably not happen till after the 1st of the year, as this is my busy time, but something to look forward to.
Old Nov 25 2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh that sounds fantastic Bruce...what a brilliant idea...your *Ral Partha* would certainly be a *ONE OF A KIND*.
Only... [IMO] I think I would go ahead and put the rider on it anyways...
Ruth without his Jaxom, would just be t o o sad.

Here's hoping that you don't have to work t o o hard...but if I may... just a small personal comment...for some of us,
the postal delivery people are like *Santa's Helpers* delivering lots and lots of goodies for everyone to enjoy the holidays.

My heartfelt thank you to all the wonderful Santa Helpers, who work at all the Post Offices...all over the world.

I am so happy for you...for a Pern Lover...a dragon... no matter what size, is always the most wonderful of gifts.

Here's hoping that my personal Santa, brings me another dragon too...there's always room for another one or two more...

Old Nov 26 2012, 10:25 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

You would certainly end up with one special littel Pern dragon, Bruce that's for sure.

Sorry to hear about your colleague, that's horrible

And yes, in your line of business it's peak time I guess, since we order more and more from the internet = packages for you to deliver.

Old Nov 26 2012, 10:45 PM   #20
Bruce
Rocksquat

Lady M, thanks for the kind words about postman. In truth, I love my job, and I do think about all the wonderful things that I am delivering to my customers. I have had the same route for the last 6 1/2 years and have been blessed to serve and get to know my customers. I think of them as my "postal family". My frustrations sometime stem for being so busy that I cannot do my job to the best of my ability. But, I always try my best to make my customers happy.

As for my dragon, perhaps you are right, and I should include Jaxom with my Ruth. In my head, when I read The White Dragon, I'm Jaxom riding my beautiful Ruth. I will probably paint "Ruth" first, since that would be the easiest, and then work on Jaxom.
Old Nov 27 2012, 05:45 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh Bruce, just a gentle reminder, the rule here is: photos or it didn't happen!

Old Nov 27 2012, 10:31 PM   #22
Bruce
Rocksquat

Hans, I'm still having trouble getting pictures into my messages. Perhaps you can PM or email me with a detailed description of the procedure. I really do want to share my photos and my collection. Sorry everyone. I'll keep trying!
Old Nov 28 2012, 06:31 AM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

No problem Bruce, just tell me which online photo storing service you use?
The best and easiest are Flickr and Photobucket (both have free versions).

Old Nov 28 2012, 11:43 AM   #24
Bruce
Rocksquat

I'm using Photobucket Hans.
Old Nov 28 2012, 07:01 PM   #25
Bruce
Rocksquat

Hans, I also use my ipad for most of my browsing and posting. Would it be better/easier in the insertion of photos in a post on my laptop? Thanks

Last edited by Bruce; Nov 28 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Nov 29 2012, 12:38 AM   #26
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

Can't wait to see it!
Old Dec 2 2012, 01:16 AM   #27
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh you got that Kindan...

PICTURES....P L E A S E Bruce!!

Old Dec 2 2012, 12:19 PM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

Bruce,

Uploading from your iPad would only be convenient if the photos you want to upload are on the iPad I suppose.

Uploading from a computer or iPad is the same for Photobucket as long as you use their bui;t in feature. However, if that works on flash (I should try it with my iPad) you're better of with the computer as your iPad doesn't do flash.

Upload using Computer
- login to photobucket
- click upload in the black bar
- Choose an album of use the default (top left light grey button)
- either drag and drop your photos into the upload area OR click the button that says "browse files" in the middle of the uppload area

Posting
- Click the photo you want to post
- to the right (near bottom of photo) you see an area titles "Image links"
- click the bottom box in that area that says IMG Code
- the color of the box changed to yellow and it will say "copied"
- go to the post/thread where you want to have the photo appear
- hit CTRL+V of right click and choose "paste"

Voila

iPad
The above does indeed NOT work on the iPad. You need the photobucket app for that

- Login to photobucket on the iPad
- click upload in the black bar
- scroll down to area saying: Discover Other Ways to Upload
- choose middle option: Mobile Apps and click on button "Get Apps"
- You will be routed to the Photobucket app store page where you can download the free app
- click button "free" under the photobucket logo
- click it again (now says install app)
- type your Apple ID password in the pop up box
- click OK when it asks if your over 16
- App will be downloade and installed

App
- Start app
- click Upload Media
- Login to Photobucket
- Click choose existing
- choose photo(s) you want to upload by clicking

Posting
- Tap the photo you weant to upload
- Tap on the i (bottom right of screen)
- Tap on the line sayign IMG code (bottom line) - message will say "Copied"
- Close app, go to MoM
- Post photo by holding down your finger on screen where you want to post photo and choose "paste

Voila

This was my test photo: me and my wife on the top of Pikes Peak, Colorado last year

Old Dec 2 2012, 11:24 PM   #29
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OoooOOOh...I don't remember seeing that one...your photo brings back some very wonderful memories Hans.

Old Dec 3 2012, 09:06 PM   #30
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Hans Nice image of you and your wife, Pikes Peak, Colorado last year
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2012, 01:51 AM   #31
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Congrats on the Bronze Dragon purchase, Bruce! Glad you got it and hope the paint job comes out as you wish. It will be fantastic!