A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Mar 2 2005, 12:02 AM   #1
RefugeInPern
Inactive

Default Dragonsdawn, Dragonseye, Moreta reading order

I'm getting to the end of The White Dragon. I got Dragonflight, Dragonquest and TWD and read them in that order, and I don't feel like tackling the Harper Hall Trilogy, but rather I'd like to stay with the Dragonriders. So I went to the bookstore today, and picked up a compilation book (On Dragonwings (Dragonsdawn, Dragonseye, and Moreta)).

Anyway, I was just checking out the publication order, the chronological order, and a suggested reading list and can't decide which order to read them!

Why is it suggested to read Moreta first, which is chronologically, the first of the three?

Why is it suggested to read Dragonseye after reading "The Chronicles Of Pern"?

Can anyone help?
RefugeInPern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2005, 02:37 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Dragonsdawn, Dragonseye, Moreta reading order

Moreta has absolutely nothing to do with the other two.

Dragonsdawn tells about the arrival on Pern and the colonists
Apart from some stories in Chronicles of Pern : First Fall it is nice to read Dragonseye (UK title: Red Star Rising) after Dragonsdawn.

Moreta takes place many hundreds of Turns later and could be read as a stand alone although Nerilka's Story tells is about the exact same period but from another viewpoint.

So, Ref, start with Dragonsdawn, that'll give you a nice basis for any other Pern book; read Dragonseye next.
The only thing you shouldn't do is start with Dragonseye but hey, you asked advice and this is mine. I'm sure others might point out that you should start with Moreta as they will think it is the best book of the three But see it thos way: save the best for last

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2005, 10:18 AM   #3
Jax

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF

Agree with Hans - read Dragonsdawn first, Red Star Rising next, and then Moreta (why oh why did they put those three in an ominbus?? why not the Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, instead of Moreta)
Don't get me wrong, I like Moreta yes, but Dragonsdawn is my favourite but I'm not saying read that one first because of it. The order'd be weird otherwise!
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2005, 01:18 PM   #4
RefugeInPern
Inactive

Thanks guys, it's as good as done.
RefugeInPern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2005, 03:46 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax
Agree with Hans - read Dragonsdawn first, Red Star Rising next, and then Moreta (why oh why did they put those three in an ominbus?? why not the Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, instead of Moreta)
Don't get me wrong, I like Moreta yes, but Dragonsdawn is my favourite but I'm not saying read that one first because of it. The order'd be weird otherwise!
I didn't understand it either Jax
Unless they were afraid the trilogy wouldn't sell and they chose Moreta as one of the top Pern titles to help sell the reprints?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2005, 04:38 PM   #6
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Perhaps they thought the omnibus would work better as three full length novels, rather than two and a collection of shorts?
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote