A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Nov 22 2011, 06:06 PM   #1
eann
Firestone

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct
Default Anne McCaffrey has Left the Planet

Dear friends and fans of Anne's,
I heard this morning from Annie's daughter Gigi that our favorite author passed away yesterday. As many of you are aware, she has been in ill health (though seeming relatively cheerful) for some time. Just thought you all should know. Ann Scarborough
eann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Rho
Renegade

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: The Land of Painted Caves
Default Re: Anne McCaffrey has Left the Planet

I heard this just a few moments ago

RIP Anne.
Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 06:14 PM   #3
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Good Bye, Anne

Hubby got an email, so I went looking. Sharon Lee has it on her site, and Gallycat's got it, too. Our beloved Lady of Dragons has gone Between
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Sokar
Digital Imagineer

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Star Wars: Legacy of the Force
Default Re: Good Bye, Anne

I had the pleasure of meeting Anne at 2 Dragon*Con, and I will treasure those memories.

Clear Skies Anne.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

She was one of a kind. We are all here because of her great heart, her wild talent, her brilliant mind and her wonderful writing. I am proud to have known her and to call her friend. God rest you, McCaffrey, you glorious soul. We'll miss you. We'll all miss you. And the world is that bit poorer because you are no longer in it. Goodbye, Annie. Sleep on the Winds, and know that you changed the world forever, for the better.

Last edited by Lanen; Nov 23 2011 at 05:45 AM.
Lanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 07:22 PM   #6
davester
Muskie

Now Reading: The Bible, newest SW novel

Very sad to hear this. I'm not sure if I'll be able to read the books anytime soon without tearing up.
davester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

A beautiful Lady. I'm grateful for the pleasure her books gave me, for meeting her, and for the friends I've made because of her.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

No words can do justice to the sorrow I'm feeling, and my heart goes out to her family and friends and those lucky enough to have known her in person. I may never have had the chance to meet her but every time I pick up one of her books I feel close to her.

RIP Anne, you will be missed and remembered forever.
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Deeply saddened by this news and sending big hugs to Anne's family and friends, and those who knew her.

RIP Anne and thank you. You will always be rembered through the amazing legacy you have left. Xxx
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 08:37 PM   #10
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Oh, no, no, no!!!

Thank you, Anne, for all the pleasure you've given me, for all the infinite hours of pleasure and happiness. You will be soooooo missed!!
Old Nov 22 2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

She touched so many lives and will, no doubt, positively affect so many more as new generations discover her words. It goes far beyond merely being entertained by reading her books; so many fans speak of getting through a troublesome adolescence or other dark time in their lives. For myself it has meant friendships, some of which are truly deep and abiding, as well as stepping outside my comfort zone to travel to huge fan gatherings or just travel abroad.

I'm so glad I got the chance to meet her on several occasions, with the greatest of those being in her own home.

It is fitting that my father is here visiting at the moment, since he introduced me to Anne's writing via Dragonflight at age 12.

My condolences to Alec, Todd, Gigi, and all her grandchildren. Rest in peace Anne.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Here's what Todd posted to Facebook:
Quote:
At about 5 p.m. Monday November 21st, 2011, Anne McCaffrey passed away. Mum was getting ready to go back to the hospital because she was feeling "puny" and collapsed while she was moving into her wheelchair. Her daughter, Georgeanne Kennedy, and son-in-law, Geoffrey Kennedy were with her. She was in no pain and it was over in an instant. She first had a heart attack in late 2000 and a stroke in 2001, so we were well-prepared and knew that we were on "golden time" with Mum these past ten years and more. She leaves behind an incredible legacy of marvelous books and a huge legion of fans. She won practically every major award in available to authors of science fiction and fantasy, including both Hugo and Nebula Awards, the American Library Association's Margaret A. Edwards award for Lifetime Literary achievement in Young Adult fiction, was an inductee into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame, and was a SFWA Nebula Grandmaster. She was also a great cook, magnificent mother, doting grandmother, ardent quilter, knitter, bridge player, horsewoman, fencer, actress, singer, and all-around nice person. We are blessed to have known her, just as we are blessed with the knowledge that she has touched so many lives and made such huge changes in them. Mum always said, "Don't just pay back a favor -- pass it on!" In light of that spirit, we ask that, instead of condolences or flowers, that commemorators make a donation to their favorite charity. We know that we haven't lost Mum -- that she has truly passed on her legacy of love and honor to all those who were touched by her -- and that we have only to open one of her books to find her again. Rest well, Mum, you've earned it!
Old Nov 22 2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

I saw it on MSN.com. I can't express my thoughts right now.
Old Nov 22 2011, 09:04 PM   #14
Starchaser
Muskie

Fan of: Crystal Singer /Pern

Returning Member here. Just got the word of Anne's passing between. Menderofillusions and I were blessed by her writings and saddened by the news. Our hearts go out to Todd and his siblings and their children. My only wish is that I could have met her when she was here for the induction ceremony to the SF hall of fame. God bless you Anne.
Starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Dragon Fan
Globe Frog

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

A truly sad day, Rest in peace Dragonlady.
Old Nov 22 2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

I would love to say something profound. I'd love to say how much I enjoyed Mrs. McCaffrey's work. I would especially love to say what a grand person Mrs. McCaffrey was, despite never knowing her.

But all I can come up with is "F---."

I once sent Mrs. McCaffrey a pendant I made, with a little note. "'For those with wings, fly to your dreams.' We have, with you."

Who will we fly with now?
Old Nov 22 2011, 10:11 PM   #17
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
I would love to say something profound. I'd love to say how much I enjoyed Mrs. McCaffrey's work. I would especially love to say what a grand person Mrs. McCaffrey was, despite never knowing her.

But all I can come up with is "F---."

I once sent Mrs. McCaffrey a pendant I made, with a little note. "'For those with wings, fly to your dreams.' We have, with you."

Who will we fly with now?
Multi, we will still fly with Anne. She gave us dragon wings, and NO ONE can take that from us!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 10:13 PM   #18
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

She has cross many worlds, Pern, Ship who Sang, and more, I was sad, to read of her passing, was talking to a friend of mine, about her, and now she is gone, more later
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 10:19 PM   #19
slognoth
Darbul

Fan of: Pern (all of them)
Now Reading: Dragon Flight

A sad day with the passing of a wonderful lady. Anne, you will be missed and you will never be forgotten. Thank you for your stories and for sharing your universe. Clear Skies Anne,
slognoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 10:37 PM   #20
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

I just found out about this while visiting Facebook after a busy morning/early afternoon.

All I could think of was DAMN!!

I have the reinvigorating of my interest in reading to owe to Anne McCaffrey and the Pern books - I was loosing interest and had yet to discover Heinlein, Feist etc in '81 - and have enjoyed her books since.

Farewell Dragonlady, till we meet again in the place where no shadows fall.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 10:51 PM   #21
Lily

When my sister introduced me to Anne's books some 15 years ago, it opened a whole new world of reading to me as I had never been particularly interested in SF fantasy. And just knowing the author was still with us, with the possibility of even more to look forward to, was an added pleasure.

Fly Between forever, Anne, my world has been the richer for your talent
Old Nov 22 2011, 10:52 PM   #22
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
She touched so many lives and will, no doubt, positively affect so many more as new generations discover her words. It goes far beyond merely being entertained by reading her books; so many fans speak of getting through a troublesome adolescence or other dark time in their lives. For myself it has meant friendships, some of which are truly deep and abiding, as well as stepping outside my comfort zone to travel to huge fan gatherings or just travel abroad.

I'm so glad I got the chance to meet her on several occasions, with the greatest of those being in her own home.

It is fitting that my father is here visiting at the moment, since he introduced me to Anne's writing via Dragonflight at age 12.

My condolences to Alec, Todd, Gigi, and all her grandchildren. Rest in peace Anne.
I am in tears because she gave me such wonderful stories and now I will no longe wait in expatiation for her next book.
Amen to what Cheryl said Rest in peace
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 11:15 PM   #23
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Additional info from Todd, it was kept quiet initially because Alec was in transit to Ireland for Thanksgiving, and they didn't want him to learn of it from anyone but family.
Old Nov 22 2011, 11:16 PM   #24
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

Returning member here...just heard the sad news. :A note to Anne:
Anne, I miss you so much! You have been a part of my life for 14 of my 27 years. I feel that I have gotten to know you through your books...even though it's only a scenario I've fabricated over and over in my head. I had always hoped that one day I would travel to meet the magnificent Anne. It saddens me that you are now gone from this world. But you will never be forgotten. Your legacy will live through us all.
"Who wills, Can. Who tries, Does. Who loves, Lives." ~Dragonflight
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 11:25 PM   #25
Cynth
Rocksquat

Fan of: Planet Pirates
Now Reading: Alternative Care For Ruminants - Dr. Dettloff

Good bye Anne, Thank you for all the beautiful worlds you created. Until we meet again, take care.

Love
Cynth
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 11:28 PM   #26
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

My mother was browsing on Facebook when she saw that someone had posted an article about it. All the Pern novels were something that we'd talk about as a family, especially my grandmother, my mother, and myself.

I can't count how many times I've read those novels since I first read them when I was around ten or eleven.

RIP Anne, and thank you for leaving behind all these pieces of your imagination.
Old Nov 22 2011, 11:39 PM   #27
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Todd asks for donations to charities in lieu of flowers and cards. Funnily enough (as a lot of people on LJ and other social media might have noticed) City Kitties in PA are soliciting for a ginger cat who was found critically sick in a gutter yesterday (Monday, the day of Anne's passing, in fact.) Everyone who's seen Anne's cats or pictures of them knows why I took that as a sign which charity to give to in Anne's name.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2011, 11:52 PM   #28
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

From my facebook wall, my story of Anne. I think I've posted this before, but I worked a little harder on the telling tonight in memory of her:

I discovered Anne in 2001, when I was 18 years old. Back then I took classes at the DVC extension in San Ramon, and used to walk around in between classes to kill time. One day, I stumbled across a local bookstore called "Paperbacks", which is no longer in business.

A woman there asked me what I liked to read, and I said, "I don't know, sci-fi?"

"I know exactly what you'll like," she replied with a smile, leading me over to the sci-fi/fantasy section of the book store. She thumbed through several titles of used books, and I stood there with a smug grin, the one of an 18 year old who 'knows it all', assuming I wouldn't be impressed with the title some woman in a used book store brought to me.

She plucked a book from the shelves called "The Crystal Singer." The book had a moderately good looking woman, arched back and singing with ecstasy on the cover, drawn by renowned fantasy artist, Michael Whelan. As an 18 year old man, the pinks and purples of the cover didn't really appeal to me, and I was wary.

How foolish I was. As I read the book, I realized it was one of the greatest pieces of art I've ever come across. The sense of character, the total immersion in the relationships, the in depth feelings of Killshandra (the main character) was like nothing I'd ever seen before, and nothing I'd ever read since. It was reading that book that led me to read everything Anne has written.

And then there was my college English course.

One of the first assignments I had in college English was to “write an interview paper”. The professor recommended interviewing someone I admired. At that point, I had read the Crystal Singer trilogy and several of the Pern novels, and I thought, “well heck, I’ll go to Anne McCaffrey’s website, find her email, ask her if she’ll do an iterview.”

I wrote a lengthy email with several questions about the author’s life, her inspiration, her books. They were all “new fan” questions I’m sure she’s heard thousands of times before, yet Anne, a woman in her 70s, took the time to write out a very detailed email answering all of my questions.

Needless to say, I was flabbergasted. This famous, New York Times bestselling author several times over, had bothered to write me back and answer a freshman college student’s questions? If her books had impressed me, her sheer humility, her care and devotion to those who supported her works impressed me far more. At that point, I became her devoted fan, and have since made sure to own every work she has ever published. She is truly a wonderful woman, with a talent (and those who are her fans reading this will understand what I mean by talent!).

Anne McCaffrey became one of an extremely few authors who I would read their books more than once. I very rarely revisit books, so it is definitely something huge to say that I have re-read the Crystal Singer three times, Dragonflight twice.

This September 2011, I met her son, Todd McCaffrey. I’ve read several of his collaborations with his mother, and was pleased to find that Todd is a wonderful person who inherited her big heart. I shared with him the story of my experience with his mother, and he nodded sagely as he walked with me.

“She’s that way because of me, you know,” Todd said.

“What do you mean?” I asked him.

“When I was a kid, I was really into [a science fiction series which name eludes me]. I stood in line to meet the author, get his signature, and he blew me off,” Todd said with a hint of long remorse. “Ever since then, mum vowed she would always take care of her fans.”

The McCaffrey family is one class act. They’re wonderful people, and Anne McCaffrey had an ability to touch the human soul like no other.

It’s coming up on Thanksgiving, and I want to give thanks for Anne, her family, and her work. May they be remembered forever.

For those who haven’t read her, I recommend either starting with The Crystal Singer or Dragonflight. I envy you to be able to read those for the first time.
Old Nov 23 2011, 12:01 AM   #29
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Multi, we will still fly with Anne. She gave us dragon wings, and NO ONE can take that from us!
(half smile) Dragon wings are cooler than feathered ones, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Fly Between forever, Anne, my world has been the richer for your talent
No, no. Not Between. Let Mrs. McCaffrey go past it, to Paradise. If our thoughts create realities, then let's hope that, for her, it's a Paradise where her gold will take her to the stars.
Old Nov 23 2011, 01:26 AM   #30
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

I discovered Anne's writing when I was 14. I had read something close to half the books in the library. Asking the librarian for suggestions she said "You like fantasy don't you? This one has dragons."

The book she handed me was a battered old copy of Dragonflight and by the first chapter, I was in love.

Cheryl noted many fans have spoken about many fans saying that Anne's books have got them through dark times. I am one of those fans. My parents divorced that year and anyone who went to either mum's or dad's plave could feel the tension as soon as they entered. The Dragonriders of Pern, and later the Crystal Singer, Pegasus and Doona series were my bright points in that time, as were the friends I made here on this site, people who didn't know me, but cared purely because of our tastes in books.

Anne's writing also introduced me to science fiction in general, which is something I had never considered before.

I never met Anne personally, though I shall miss her greatly. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family, her friends and all the lives she has touched.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 02:05 AM   #31
Rissa
Journeyman

Fan of: Fantasy
Now Reading: Dragonlovers Guide to Pern

Wow.

Crystal Singer was also my first book, and I had no idea what to expect. Bu I loved it, and looked for more.

A truly wonderful person, who shall be missed.

She gave us something precious.
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 02:37 AM   #32
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

I never got to meet her. But she enriched my life so, so much.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 04:37 AM   #33
Keruval
Darbul

Most of my internet friendships and a fair number of my Real Life ones are due to the shared love of Anne's writing.

And her soul shall sing on the wind
Keruval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 04:52 AM   #34
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Oh my God!

I was SO hoping to head over to see her before Christmas.

I suppose that we must be thankful for all the books and inspiration she's given us over the decades (and mourn for the books that now will never be).

Here she is the night we dined her in Copenhagen.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Nov 23 2011 at 05:11 AM.
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 05:16 AM   #35
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Now Reading: as usual

I'm still numb. I heard last night on Twitter, of all places...then verified. I had to come back here. I know I've been away for months but...I had to come back and 'be around' you guys.

I still have absolutely no words to be able to write down about this. well I do...but I daren't try. I did this instead last night.

RIP Anne McCaffrey
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 05:22 AM   #36
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman

Like I said on the other place...I cannot stop crying. My Poppy introduced me to her through the Smallest Dragonboy, and I feel like I've lost him all over again through losing her.

I don't trust myself to sing right now, so I'm just going to leave this...favorite amongst favorites amidst Pern's songs.

Harper, tell me of the road,
That leads beyond this Hold;
That wends it's way beyond the hills,
Does it go further on?
Until it ends in Sunset's Gold?

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 06:00 AM   #37
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: cursed

Oh my God! I am so sad to read this! Goodby dragonlady, far well, beyond between, to paradise.
mara is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 06:00 AM   #38
bats

Default my Heart is so heavy

I just heard the news my Thoughts are with the Family and the Fans
all I can say Anne has gone with her Dragons to the In Between
Thank You for all those wonderful Books the delight they have given me
Bats
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 06:38 AM   #39
suzanne2608
Muskie

Fan of: THe White Dragon
Now Reading: Dragonheart - Todd McCaffrey

I'm so very sad at the news of Anne's passing. My husband told me this morning when I came down & I came straight on the computer to find out if it were true. Anne was the one author I loved above all others & whos books I have read over & over. In 2009 I was so very lucky to receive a signed bookplate. I think today's the day I frame it. A little reminder of a great lady. Sweet Dreams Anne & Thank You.

Suzanne x
suzanne2608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2011, 06:46 AM   #40
Daccio
Crafter

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Two Georges

Farewell, Anne. Thank you so much for giving us all worlds to explore.
Daccio is offline   Reply With Quote