A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey > Jody Lynn Nye

Jody Lynn Nye Author of the Dragonlover's Guide to Pern, co-author in the Planet Pirate , Doona, and Brainship series, and last but not least sci-fi/fantasy author in her own right (or is that write?) with over a dozen books published.

Old Jul 10 2011, 04:30 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Meeting Jody... (finally)

Luckily all our hotels during our almost month long trip through Scandinavia had wifi and I checked my email (and this forum) almost daily because when I was still in Norway, in a marvelous hotel on the west coast somewhere, I got an email from Jody Lynn Nye.

She and her husband were coming to Amsterdam to join a cruise to several countries around the Baltic Sea and maybe this would be the chance to finally meet? When in correspondence Jody, like a few others I got to meet "through" Anne, always said and maintained: "We will meet one day. Could take some time, but we will meet". After about a decade, that came true for meeting Tania Opland and Mike Freeman earlier this year at Anne McCaffrey's 85th birthday and 2011 has become a special year because last Saturday I indeed got to meet Jody and Bill, too.

I was still in Norway when they arrived in Amsterdam but luckily they returned to the same city at the end of the cruise, on which Bill was main speaker, to fly home on Sunday July 10th. So we made an appointment for Saturday 9th.

I took Jody, Bill was knackered and after meeting up and having coffee and a long chat stayed at the hotel, to the old Dutch fortified town of Naarden.

It's not far from Amsterdam and very nice to walk around in. Naarden was granted its city rights in 1300 (the only town in Het Gooi to have been done so) and later developed into a fortressed garrison town with a textile industry. Naarden is the home of the Netehrlands Frtress Museum (Nederlands Vestingmuseum). Every year Naarden hosts the national photograph festival and, onGood Friday, a performance of Bach's St. Matthew Passion in the local church, which is called the Great Church or St. Vitus Church. The twon hasn't changed much over the centuries (if you think away modern traffic).

We weather cooperated, we had a nice lunch in Naarden and we walked all over town and especialy the fortifications enjoying ourselves tremendously.

After returning to the hotel and getting the private booksigning out of the way (I behaved and only took a handful with me, though on Sunday morning I was about to hit myself because I realized I forgot to have Jody sign one of my absolute favourites: "Death of Sleep".) we went out for dinner in nearby Aalsmeer.

I had a great day and Jody and Bill are the most marvelous, informative people you can be and dine with.

The most important news might be that, health permitting of course, Anne and her daughter Gigi will be attending Dragon*Con (of which Bill is director) this year. So let's keep our fingers crossed for the Dragonlady!

Jody is currently turning out book after book (yippee) so she is very busy but she might show herself here if she can find the time.
I was presented a copy of her latest book "View from the Imperium" and will review it here as soon as I have read it. View from the Imperium" is published by Baen, do check it out! Anne McCaffrey recommends it but then, she got an earlier chance to read it I bet

You'll have to wait for the photo because that is on Jody's camera for a change

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Jul 10 2011 at 04:47 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2011, 12:36 PM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Meeting Jody... (finally)

The fort looks like it would be a great place to visit.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2011, 01:52 PM   #3
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
The fort looks like it would be a great place to visit.
Yes, and thanks for sharing Hans, your posted image is giving me an idea for something I'm working on, Ginny
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

They must have headed your way right after Dukcon, Hans. My "sister" posted pics of Jody from there.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Lily

How wonderful Hans, and what a fascinating place Naarden looks to be.
Old Jul 11 2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

AnnMarie: they arrived in Amsterdam on the 26th and left with the cruis ship on the 27th, returning on the 9th and flying home on the 10th.

Lily: it is. It is so rare that a town like this has been preserved, fortifications included. If you think away especially the cars you might as well be walking back into history a century or two!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12 2011, 02:26 AM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Lucky ducky. Glad you enjoyed the "visit" with Jody. Go, you good thing

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote