A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Apr 8 2011, 10:36 AM   #1
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Two Dutch editions

I haven't been doing much collecting recently but I have still been keeping my eye open for any interesting editions. Well, I was in Eindhoven yesterday for work and as I had a 1 1/2 hour train journey home I decided to look for a book for the journey back, so I went to the Eindhoven branch of the Dutch second hand bookstore chain De Slechte (Dat is juist? De Slechte is neit slecht! Mijn Nederlandse is slecht helas!). I was looking for a book which I did not find. However, in addition to the hardback Margery Allingham book and the 1948 copy or Great Northern? by Arthur Ransome (I got a bargain there- De Slechte is usually very expensive) I also left with Dutch versions of The White Dragon and All the Weyrs of Pern.
They're in the "older" style, with the UK type covers. I can't take photos of them yet as I still have no internet at home (KPN is slecht!). I did manage to understand Robinton's final speech in Dutch though
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8 2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Two Dutch editions

Wow! Those ld covers are usually hard to find and especially All the Weyrs of Pern with the old cover is a good collectible for which you should at least have paid 25 euro ($35), so everything under that is nice. The White Dragon old style (with David Roe cover) in Dutch I have bought at De Slegte (written with a g instead of ch but you don't hear the difference!) in Amsterdam for euro 12,50 long ago.
The one that is impossible to find is Renegades in Dutch with old Weston UK cover. I finally managed that a few years ago. Could have bought it well before that for about euro 50! (no thanks).

You are correct, De Slegte is usually not cheap but I think (without even knowing what you paid) you got yourself some nice deals in Eindhoven

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8 2011, 11:19 AM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Wow! Those ld covers are usually hard to find and especially All the Weyrs of Pern with the old cover is a good collectible for which you should at least have paid 25 euro ($35), so everything under that is nice. The White Dragon old style (with David Roe cover) in Dutch I have bought at De Slegte (written with a g instead of ch but you don't hear the difference!) in Amsterdam for euro 12,50 long ago.
The one that is impossible to find is Renegades in Dutch with old Weston UK cover. I finally managed that a few years ago. Could have bought it well before that for about euro 50! (no thanks).

You are correct, De Slegte is usually not cheap but I think (without even knowing what you paid) you got yourself some nice deals in Eindhoven
About 5 euros each, definitely less than 10. I've forgotten the actual price. I knew that I had a good bargain though

They had Dragonquest there too but I decided not to buy out the shop (and I had to lug them to the train station).

I guess it almost makes up for this morning's surprising loss of bike!
Old Apr 8 2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

loss of bike?
ah the Dutch university city evil curse... the "disappearing" bikes?

that's a good deal indeed, Edith. You should have gone all out and buy DQ too!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8 2011, 11:28 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
loss of bike?
ah the Dutch university city evil curse... the "disappearing" bikes?

that's a good deal indeed, Edith. You should have gone all out and buy DQ too!
I can always go back next time I'm in Eindhoven

Yep! There's a lot more "organised" theft round here too.
Old Apr 8 2011, 11:54 AM   #6
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: cursed

you lucky girl!!! I am surching for ages now for the Dutch versions of Renegades and all the weyrs.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8 2011, 01:19 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
you lucky girl!!! I am surching for ages now for the Dutch versions of Renegades and all the weyrs.
You're from Noord Brabant? I guess it's the right province at least. There were some newer editions there but I didn't see what they were.
Old Apr 8 2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Edith...sounds like you got yourself some great Dutch finds...Congratulations

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Congrats on the finds Edith!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2011, 01:10 PM   #10
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: cursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
You're from Noord Brabant? I guess it's the right province at least. There were some newer editions there but I didn't see what they were.
Yes I am, but I don't go to Eindhoven at all. Its to far, just to visit bookshops.

I have all the Pern books. From Dragon's dawn to the white dragon in the Dutch language, and alle the others in English because there are not translated anymore.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote