A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old May 1 2011, 07:37 PM   #201
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: What is happening

One of the other groups I belong to is still waiting to hear from one of our girls...she lives about 60 miles from Birmingham.....
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 11:05 PM   #202
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I wish the U.S. networks would cary more news from the rest of the world.
Maw try http://www.pbs.org/newshour/
PBS Newshour the was a good batch of news, for students and teachers also
I just spotted this. They had a whole min-part on autism, which I've told to a few other folks, and here.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...in-infants.htm

The soon the better, for the early spotted early care can be given. I know of a few who fight these here, and/or parents of and many others with my inable to communicte what I see clearly in my mind at times

For all folks here another http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/healt...lts_04-22.html

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/news/autism/

@ jube We had to put one of our dogs down due to her attacking hubby and our "new" puppy last week. RIP Paws Sorry to hear about this
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; May 2 2011 at 12:31 AM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 02:55 PM   #203
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
unfotunatly, we are extremley busy this week and might have to give it to some freands of ours, or there is a wildlife musium with a hospital ( for wild animals) where we are probably going to take it. (i will post some pics we took in a bit)
i am having trouble with my computer and the pictures right now, so i will get them up after i figure out where i put them( my computer is positive they don't exist)
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 09:58 PM   #204
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Got a new cell phone today. It's the same "brand" that I had before (Samsung) but with a qwerty keyboard. No internet (didn't want it). It's pretty and purple!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 11:29 PM   #205
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Got a new cell phone today. It's the same "brand" that I had before (Samsung) but with a qwerty keyboard. No internet (didn't want it). It's pretty and purple!
I was reading about this one, http://www.independentliving.com/pro...?number=812347 perhaps for Dan J to make easier for him to use, I don't know about the sliding part, for some reason that kind like to get stuck, or some on that order, for he all thumbs when comes to phones.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old May 8 2011, 05:13 AM   #206
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: acorna's children second wave

My hubby is like that. He refuses to use a cell phone and ad home he always uses the whole number instead of the phonebook, but then he refuses to use the computer also. He doesn't touch it at all !!
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2011, 08:59 PM   #207
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

I like my phone, it is a Phone phone.......no internet, no pictures, no camera, no ring tones. All it can do is Phone people. Oh, Yea, and it can text. That is the down side.
Old May 8 2011, 10:38 PM   #208
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

OOOoooOOO Cilla...a purple phone. I still don't understand having the internet on a cell phone...but then again I don't hardly use my cell phone.

I tell you there is a generation growing up now, that when they are in their 50's and 60's they aren't going to be able to use their thumbs...their all going to have severe joint troubles in them, from all the texting they have been doing on their cell phones as kids and teens...!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 02:21 AM   #209
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I don't see the point of having internet on my phone until I'm stranded at the train station trying to figure out what's gone wrong this time and how can I get to my experiment (I have some work going on in another part of the country at the moment) and then I wish that I'd got a phone that does more than call and text. Most of the time though I'm not bothered about it though. My phone is usually only used to call Stu to say that I'm going to be late etc.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 11:22 AM   #210
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Cashiering at WallyWorld - wierd hours 25 to 35 per week, waiting to be full time.
Genealogy - still getting 40 years of what my Aunt Rose has put into order - a 4 drawer chest full of letters and notebooks...
Piddling on the internet - Facethingy and about a dozen other places...
Writing, Research and other goodies... and playing Club Penguin with Boo...
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 06:32 PM   #211
Rianne

i'm part of the generation lady Maelin mentiened, but i'm weird- i only us my phone to call people...i don't even text.(I'd rather read a book!)
Old May 9 2011, 10:41 PM   #212
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Rianne...Books are a great enjoyment now when your young and as you get older...it will also probably save the easy use of your thumbs, in your later years...to help turn the pages...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 9 2011, 10:44 PM   #213
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I use my phone to ring or text people, sometimes I use the 'net on it to update FB but otherwise I use the compie for everything else.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 05:11 PM   #214
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

Still here, being organised by a crafty mongrel who in six months has transformed everything
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 05:19 PM   #215
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Our cell phone has been dropped so many time that the screen is broken and will not show any displays. We can only use the phone for call people. It will not even show the time.
What I can't understand is why people in the same room need to text each other. My niece will do that. Kibby wants a phone. I told her she can have one when SHE can pay for it.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 08:44 PM   #216
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
Still here, being organised by a crafty mongrel who in six months has transformed everything
It's almost like having a child, isn't it? How is she doing? We haven't had an update on her for a while.

I have to go to the cardiologist tomorrow. Just a checkup after the "procedure" a while back. I don't much care for seeing doctors. Guess I'll just have to get used to it.

And Maw, stick to your guns about the phone. You wouldn't believe the bill my niece's teenage son ran up when he first got his. He spent a summer cutting grass to pay for it.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 10:53 PM   #217
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Anneli...Oh I most heartily agree...they're like having a perpetual two year old, one that follows you everywhere, even to the bathroom, they go to bed with you and wake you up so you can get them their breakfast or dinner and any and all snacks that you care to give them.

They have their own toys, dishes, blankets, and some pet parents even buy their furry kids special clothes (those poor people have really gone round the bend)...We all worry and fuss over them when their sick...or we even think they are, refuse to leave them with anyone we don't trust completely...check out their doctors better than we do our own.
All in all...YEP they are just like our kids...especially the older we get.

Sandi...Good Luck with your Doctor appointment...hope all goes well with no new surprises. Yes I am afraid you will have to learn to put up with all the Doctors, their staff and all their endless poking and prodding...but it's really not that much to have to put up with considering what C O U L D have happened instead !

Maw...I agree again with Sandi...stick to your guns about the phone, I have two Grandaughters and what can go on with teenage girls is incredible, especially when it comes to their cell phones...UGG!!!

Old May 11 2011, 12:42 AM   #218
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Priscilla - a purple phone? Consider me jealous!

Anneli - They are rather life altering, aren't they? Totally worth it though!

Sandi - good luck with your doctors appointment!

As for myself, I'm pretty busy with Uni at the moment, so I might be a little absent over the next few weeks.
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2011, 08:20 PM   #219
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

kibbie is deffently not getting a phone until SHE can pay for it. Then it will be a pay as you go type thing I can NOT afford to pay her bill.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old May 11 2011, 11:35 PM   #220
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Samsara...Good Luck with your studies, they are quite a bit more important for you...and MoM will be here, and some of us will be waiting to hear just how well you've done!!!

Old May 13 2011, 02:02 PM   #221
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Someone my sister works with found a couple of kittens. One of them is missing a front paw. He could not keep it because he has a bunch of wild cats living close buy. So of course Tammy agreed to take them both. The kittens are very close and yells when ever they are apart. Not sure how the kitten lost its front paw. I don't think it was born that way. It has a wound that will open up. The guy we got them from said they will help with the vet bills, wich is good, we are taking the hurt one in on Monday.
Our barking cat(Ebony small dog who thinks she is a cat) spends the day staring at them and making sure no other cat goes near them and also making sure they are clean. When they start going out side she will go out with them and make sure they don't go too far and that every things stays away from them.

Old May 13 2011, 06:58 PM   #222
Rianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
i am having trouble with my computer and the pictures right now, so i will get them up after i figure out where i put them( my computer is positive they don't exist)
the photo is now here:http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8175

again, thank you jube!
Old May 14 2011, 01:57 PM   #223
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Someone my sister works with found a couple of kittens. One of them is missing a front paw. He could not keep it because he has a bunch of wild cats living close buy. So of course Tammy agreed to take them both. The kittens are very close and yells when ever they are apart. Not sure how the kitten lost its front paw. I don't think it was born that way. It has a wound that will open up. The guy we got them from said they will help with the vet bills, wich is good, we are taking the hurt one in on Monday.
<sinp> Ouch!
Our barking cat(Ebony small dog who thinks she is a cat) spends the day staring at them and making sure no other cat goes near them and also making sure they are clean. When they start going out side she will go out with them and make sure they don't go too far and that every things stays away from them.
Sound like you got a watch-dog for them,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old May 14 2011, 02:21 PM   #224
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Ah yes. The End of The World is coming (again) on May 21. At least I get my birthday in. Also, employers will be happy to note that it is occuring on a weekend, so they won't lose any work days! Shame our Mike will miss out on his college graduation on the 22nd. And, here he is graduating Summa Cum Laude!
Old May 14 2011, 05:51 PM   #225
Rianne

yes, but it is also supposed to end in 2012? if it ends on the 21st, how will it end then?
this is what, the fourth time the world has been slated to end in the last decade?
Old May 14 2011, 07:29 PM   #226
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Geeez Cilla...you could have had them end it after my birthday
on the 26th......well at least their getting your's in.

Who's saying it will end this time???

Lord I just got through with one of Isaac Asimov famous short stories...Nightfall...
[ said to be the very best Sci-Fi short story ever]...
it was pretty good... it was also about the end of a world...
seems to be way to much of this kind of thing going around... !

S U M M A C U M L A U D E...Holy Cow...not only beautifully
talented but a brilliant brain as well...WOW. Send him my best
wishes and hearty C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!

Old May 14 2011, 09:22 PM   #227
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Will do, dearest H.S. That gorgeous portrait you did of he and Jenn hangs in their room. Soon his degree and honors award (framed) can hang next to it!

I'm not sure who is saying the end is coming this time. Apparently there are even people getting rid of everything they have this week in preparation. Won't they just be surprised when they wake up on the 22nd, alive and poor! Now I've got a line from a song going around in my head: "It's the End of the World As We Know It. . ."
Old May 14 2011, 09:44 PM   #228
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Life's a game and the winner is the one who goes out with the most toys....

End of the world? What again?
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 01:06 PM   #229
Rianne

it's raining. this is weird. also: there're dozens of billboards around the bay area proclaiming that "judgment day" is coming.
Old May 15 2011, 03:09 PM   #230
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Various groups have been proclaiming the end of the world since, to my own certain knowledge, 1969. So far they're 0 for - oh, several dozen at least.

It's a great way to keep people fearful. and how pointless! If the same dude - who died 30 years ago - had predicted that if you bought 2000 lottery tickets you'd win, would you put out £2000? The odds against are still roughly 14 million to one AGAINST.

Anyone proclaiming the world is ending is likely trying to manipulate you/ the general populace, or trying to become famous. Ignore them.
Old May 15 2011, 03:40 PM   #231
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

On the TV this morning they were talking about a news article about this latest guy who is busy saying "only six shopping days left"- part of me wonders if he owns a chain of shops!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2011, 08:41 PM   #232
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I'll tell you what my high school teachers use to tell us when someone said the world would end-----------Do you home work any way just incase they ate wrong.
That was back in the 80's

Old May 15 2011, 08:43 PM   #233
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Ah yes. The End of The World is coming (again) on May 21. At least I get my birthday in. Also, employers will be happy to note that it is occuring on a weekend, so they won't lose any work days! Shame our Mike will miss out on his college graduation on the 22nd. And, here he is graduating Summa Cum Laude!
Tell your son CONGRATS for me. What is his degree in.

Old May 15 2011, 11:03 PM   #234
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well all I can say to the DOOM sayers is... like with us, when the World's number is up...that'll be it, nothing anyone of the humans living on her at the time will be able to do about it...so it enjoy her while she last and treat her as good as you can while she's still around...that way she will be good to all of us in return.

Cilla...I'm so glad to hear that they are still enjoying their portrait...I'm sure his degree and honors awards will look great, prominently placed on their wall...he's earned it!!!

Old May 16 2011, 02:20 AM   #235
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

You're welcome Rianne

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 11:05 AM   #236
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Slightly early birthday present from my son:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=DSCN1432.jpg
Old May 16 2011, 11:46 PM   #237
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Very nice Cilla...

Old May 17 2011, 01:14 AM   #238
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Samsara...Good Luck with your studies, they are quite a bit more important for you...and MoM will be here, and some of us will be waiting to hear just how well you've done!!!

Thanks Lady M! only 3 1/2 weeks to go and its all over!!!

Priscilla, love the handbag!! Cingrats to your son, on his graduation. That will hopefully be me in acouple of weeks, so I know how exciting it is!!

And as for the world ending... I think most of you already know that I would build a shelter under my house if I could afford it!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 07:27 AM   #239
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Ah, the lady has style What a nice gift!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 02:14 PM   #240
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Nice purse.