A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Feb 11 2011, 11:24 PM   #1
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default What is happening

It has been slow here and I am wondering what everyone has been up to.

Mostly I have been taking Kibby to the dentist. She has to go to one that is about 3 hours away. She needs a lot done and no one around here will do it since she is on Medicade. (Medicade is for people who can't affored insurance)

Kibby had to have 3 baby teeth pulled. They did 2 one day and 1 a couple of weeks later. The dentist said she should not have any problems. WRONG. the first 2 got infected, lots of pain. The second time she go a piece of food stuck
where the tooth was. LOTs of pain. So for close to a month lots of tooth pain. Today she got a root canal done. Hopefully there will no problems.
Luckily I think all her baby teeth are all out.

I have also been baby sitting my 2 year old niece most weekends. Emmi is a wild child. She is into every thing. We have a large pet door that Emmi can & will go though when she thinks she can get by with it. She also thinks that as long as her toes from one foot are inside the house than she is inside.

What have the rest of you been doing?

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2011, 03:57 AM   #2
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3
Default Re: What is happening

Running after my toddler, planning the house we're going to build this year.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2011, 06:15 AM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

At the moment I'm nursing a very sore mouth as my dentist decided that my wisdom teeth had to go. Two went before Christmas but the two on the right hand side had to wait until now as the bottom one was impacted. Guess which part is still hurting...

Anyway, apart from that I've just finished a monster sized paper (29 pages doesn't seem too long until you realise that most papers in my area are less than 10 pages long). Work actually seems to take up most of my time these days, I have a couple of experiments on the go at the moment. I've got a year and a half to go now so I'm starting to have to prioritise a bit.

However I'm going to be moving next month to a larger flat which I'll be sharing with my boyfriend. Space will be good... particularly as my bookcase overflowed a long time ago!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Since we're almost the only house who still has snow in our back yard, whenever I can I take Emma out and let her play in the snow. She gets wild when we find her ball and I throw it down the hill.
I have also been studying, since school started and it's time for grades, and I haven't been all that bussiness - like so I have to study now. Thank God there isn't that much stuff so I managed to get it all done in these 2 - 3 weeks that I've been going to school.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I'm still working as a substitute in a daycare whenever they need me. Clearing lots of books out of my bookshelves to go to the used book store, sewing on a new dragon picture, and enjoying the kids. Well, I say kids. Actually, Fred was 25 a few weeks ago and Jenn will be 28 in May. I said to a friend a while back that it's funny how they get older and Jeff and I stay the same!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Well I went back to school part time in January. Still looking for a job but hubby FINALLY found one!! Hopefully it will become a regular thing and he wont be out of work anymore!! Other then that we are keeping a house full of animals from killing each other!! (In case anyone was wondering there are 3 dogs, 3 cats, 3 ferrets, an eguana and a snake) From what I've been told though the snake is going to be gone soon which is fine with me!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2011, 06:12 PM   #7
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

We actually sold our house the end of December and moved into an apartment, so I spent a couple of weeks unpacking and getting everything arranged. Fortunately, we had gotten rid of a lot of stuff over the last couple of years, as we moved from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment. We also took some furniture to our younger son, about 45 miles away. Otherwise we would have had a hard time fitting everything in the new place.

Other than that, between dh and me, we've had a number of doctor's appointments. Mostly routine stuff.

And I've babysat our grandsons a number of times. That's the fun stuff! We now live, maybe, 5 minutes away from them.
Old Feb 13 2011, 12:58 PM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I did leave out on piece of good news. We found a place that is close to us that recieved a grant to fix cats, give them rabis shots and treat for ear mites for only 2 dollars. It takes about 20 dollars in gas, but well worth it. We now only have 1 female not spayed and 2 boys. Athena, the one not spayed, had a cold and could not be done.

The bad part is that Athena will be having more kittens any day now. Hopefullly we will find homes for all of them. We have 21 cats and don't need any more.
We also have two dogs and a goat.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Feb 21 2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

I'm getting my bathroom fixed At long last - I bought the new fittings well over a year ago, but somehow we never got round to installing it Now I've found a really good plumber who's working like a trojan to get it all sorted

On the downside, that means right now I have no hot water upstairs But by the weekend I should have a sparkling re-tiled bathroom with a brand new shower and bathroom suite
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2011, 11:58 PM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Just been working, sleeping, eating and drinking no don't believe me...okay, we've had so much rain this month, over 200 mms so far - the wettest month so far that we haven't really been doing much over the last few weeks so nothing majorly exciting around here. It was only last weekend that we went to our first market for the month - I was seriously deprived - needed some socks as I had cleaned out my sock drawer of all the odd ones and holey ones

Healthwise, I was okay up until last Friday when a bee stung me - I think I must be due in shares for the doctor and chemist this week and today, I discussed with the doctor about an epi-pen as I had an extreme reaction to it this time, compared to the last few times that I've been stung by bees so I'm feeling rather drained as a result She gave me the rest of the week off from work and I was lucky that I saw my boss last Sunday so he knew what happened before I went to work yesterday.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2011, 03:23 AM   #11
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Not a heck of a lot on my end, besides the new puppy. Mind you puppies can be a handful so he's keeping me pretty busy. Besides that, I'm back to Uni next week to begin my final semester before graduating.
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2011, 09:35 PM   #12
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Congrats on almost graduating. The last semster will be over before you know it.

Old Feb 22 2011, 10:15 PM   #13
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I've been unpacking, at the new place, trying to fit, the collection in a smaller spot, we still need to get our stuff from our old place storage areas, and finding lot of odd and ends, being a bit on another project with aid of another one who loves dragons, and helping folks.

We got a foot of snow! here too.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2011, 11:33 PM   #14
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Congrats on almost graduating. The last semster will be over before you know it.
Thanks Mawra. This degree will be 13 years in the making, so I'm pretty excited! It will be a huge achievement for me to finally graduate after taking so many years off.
Old Feb 25 2011, 12:19 AM   #15
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

It might snow in berkeley tomorrow for the first time since 1973!!! YAY!!!!!!!
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2011, 02:29 AM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

My husband and I have been settling in our new old home...with all the nightmares and adventures that go with it.
I am sorry that I have been off of Mom for way too long...but hopefully now I'm back and I am very happy to read here what so many of my old friends are up to.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2011, 02:43 AM   #17
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Re: What is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
My husband and I have been settling in our new old home...with all the nightmares and adventures that go with it.
I am sorry that I have been off of Mom for way too long...but hopefully now I'm back and I am very happy to read here what so many of my old friends are up to.
@ Lady Maelin, you images a freind liked off line, which I share the MoM link to explain what I was talking about.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Feb 26 2011, 05:52 AM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Good to see you back, Lady Maelin.

We all hope you'll be as happy as can be in your new home. And a lovely home it is as I was priviledged to see so with my own eyes last year (already four months ago, gee...).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2011, 05:58 AM   #19
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

It's great to see you back!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2011, 08:23 AM   #20
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Welcome back Lady Maelin. Congrats on the new home.
Old Feb 26 2011, 05:13 PM   #21
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

no snow.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2011, 07:20 PM   #22
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Spent today snowshoeing. I'd forgotten how much I like it.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2011, 08:14 PM   #23
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Momer's for welcoming me back home to MoM, I have missed all my friends here so very much...it's been like an extended family to me for ( what Hans has recently reminded me) over five years now.

We really love our hew old home, but fixing up a fifty year old house, for todays needs has been a challenge for us, but also very time comsuming. We got quite a bit of it finished just in time, for our much looked forward to visit with Hans and his lovely wife Marjon....BUT...

Since our dear friends left to return to their home in the Netherlands, we have been knee deep into the business of landscaping our new front and back yards. We finished the front frist, with some help from a hired landscaper and now we are in the process of trying to get the back garden all planted and decently established, by ourselves, before the HOT California sun comes to beat down upon us this summer, with 100 plus degrees...UGG!!!
Hopefully soon I will have more time again, to devote to my artwork and some long planned Pern projects.
Thanks again my friends for the warm welcome home...Glad to be here again!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 27 2011, 06:18 AM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

100+ degrees... how nice!

If you two will do as well with the back as you did with the front I am very confident of the outcome, although the back will be moe of a challenge of course. A pity that you can't have a pond but maybe you can get a smaller water fixture. Water in the garden is SO nice and restful!

How about a nice pergola with bougainvilla at the end from behind which you can stealthily observe the golfers and their sometimes funny antics

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 27 2011, 10:11 AM   #25
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Congrats on getting a new old home, Lady Maelin.

Kibby has been sick with the flue this past week. She is feeling better but gets tired quickly.

Old Feb 28 2011, 12:16 AM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Yes I would dearly love a pond like yours...but I think a small fountain will be the best I can hope for...as long as all the birds we have don't decide to use it for a bath tub...YUCK!

@ Maw...Thank you for good wishes, and I am sorry to hear that Kibby isn't feeling well...seems a lot of that has been going around lately. Tell her to get well soon.

@ AnnMarie...snowshoeing... yes that can be a whole lot of fun, but way to cold for me these days. I'll go beach sand walking instead, it's a whole lot warmer, even in the winter!!

Old Mar 9 2011, 07:02 AM   #27
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Well, reallife is happening!

I have been working, studying, linedancing and attending linedancing parties reading Anne's books and old free classic books on my "new" e-reader , family and family gatherings , and I have found a new expensive hobby and community forum, Trollbeads and meeting these new friends in real life too.

Right now I am in bed with pneumonia, but the mind does not rest, and it is time to catch up

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2011, 09:19 PM   #28
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Nina, nice you are having a chance to catch up, but I hope you are healthy again soon.
Old Mar 9 2011, 11:44 PM   #29
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OoooOOH NoooOOOOoo Nina....pneumonia thats no fun...I had that a few times myself in past years. Stay in bed and let your body heal up, so you can get back to doing all those wonderful things you love so much.

What are *Trollbeads*...???

Old Mar 10 2011, 05:12 AM   #30
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
What are *Trollbeads*...???
Oh no, my Lady, you did not just ask that

These are Trollbeads, a brand name like Pandora, etc. Please be aware that these Trollbeads are highly addictive

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2011, 07:40 AM   #31
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I have some friends who have Pandora bracelets. They look nice, but they are very heavy. I'm not at all sure I'd like something that heavy on my wrist. I wear a couple very light gold chain link bracelets.
Old Mar 10 2011, 08:37 AM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

With a name like trollbeads they should be heavy!

Old Mar 10 2011, 11:20 AM   #33
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Sounds like the jewellery version of Dwarfbread

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2011, 10:37 PM   #34
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OOOooooOOOO...so that's what they're called Nina, I've seen them before at a few of the street fairs we go to and they are very pretty. B U T... Cilla is correct, they are kind of heavy for my taste in jewelry, as I also wear much lighter gold braclets.

Beads are a very addictive hobby though...I used to enjoy playing with glass beads!!!

Old Mar 10 2011, 10:43 PM   #35
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I wish I could find some nice dragon beads in Pern colors.
I am still working on a Pernolopy game. I got a make it yourself monopoly game a couple of years ago and am trying to make it a Pern style.

Old Mar 11 2011, 06:11 AM   #36
Hans
Master Archivist

Where did you buy the basic make-it-yourself monopoly, Mawra?

Old Mar 11 2011, 08:38 PM   #37
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I think it was ebay, Hans.

I checked and ebay has several.
Here is link to one of them
http://cgi.ebay.com/Make-Your-Own-Op...item1c186d2ff9

Last edited by mawra; Mar 11 2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: add link
Old Mar 11 2011, 09:25 PM   #38
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I'm currently watching the news about Japan. Also, watching the Syracuse/UCONN basketball game (don't know who to root for, one kid graduated from each place). In a few days I'll be starting on a stamped cross stitch apron, a gift to a friend. Most of the snow is gone! There had seemed to be so much of it I expected it to be here all summer, but lots of rain and slightly warmer temps. have sent it packing, hopefully until next winter!
Old Mar 12 2011, 12:03 AM   #39
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I'm currently watching the news about Japan. <snip> Most of the snow is gone! There had seemed to be so much of it I expected it to be here all summer, but lots of rain and slightly warmer temps. have sent it packing, hopefully until next winter!
So am I, I've got freind's who family is on the West Coast, and firends from all over the world

Not quite gone, but 'the sun is making harder for me to enjoy the warmer weather, mostly to a bad reaction to a new medication, it and I are not seeing eye to eye. I hope to have better news, for its making my all ready 'light sentive eye' worst

Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Mar 12 2011, 01:56 AM   #40
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Keeping an eye on Japan today too...what hit them was unbelievable. Seem this ole world of ours is getting hit pretty bad lately...all over the planet.