A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Apr 14 2010, 03:02 AM   #1
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
Blue How To Train Your Dragon

I saw this movie last night, and I have one thing to say:

Awww.... soooo cute!!!

I loved it! It has a wonderfully simple and somewhat silly story, but it is a kids movie, and hey, who cares?

Oh it was lovely. Go see it!

Has anyone else seen it yet? What did you think?

Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 07:56 AM   #2
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default Re: How To Train Your Dragon

I stole my 6-year-old-cousin and went to see it last week in 3D. I was expecting those cardboard glasses with one red eye and one green eye...just goes to show how long it's been since I watched something in 3D. xD

I thought it was great. I read the book a couple of years ago, and I must say that I was also impressed with the 3D. It wasn't too 'oohhh, look at what shiny things we can do now'. It was just subtle enough. ^_^
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 06:00 PM   #3
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Junior loved it

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjslack View Post
I read the book a couple of years ago
There's a book?? Yippeee!!
Old May 23 2010, 02:35 AM   #5
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

I saw this 4 times! I LOVED it!!! It's my new #1 favorite movie of all time.

Can't wait until it's released on DVD. Shouldn't be long now; Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is being released in a little over 2 weeks. So, perhaps a month or so.

I understand that there's due to be a sequel, which was actually being planned from the get-go. I also heard something about a TV series, but I don't know about that.
Old Jul 13 2010, 03:13 PM   #6
ghost8772

Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Loved the movie, not so impressed with the book. Kinda falls under the rare occurance category. Yet, the movie had a more typical Hollywood practice, grab the rights, take the names, add some others, and create a story out of nearly whole cloth. Yeah they made an awesome movie, but they barely touched the book to do it.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2010, 05:41 PM   #7
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

But, had the writers/directors of the movie stuck a little closer to the book, the movie might not have been as awesome. So, in this case, they made the better decision.

By the way, the movie is now available at amazon.com for pre-order in Region 1. They don't give a specific release date yet, though.
Old Jul 13 2010, 09:20 PM   #8
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Alice in Wonderland....we brought that on DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it at the movies as well as on DVD. Darling child and I went to see the Tim Burton exhibition last week at ACMI (Federation Square, Melbourne) and loved seeing all the different costumes, props, sketches etc that he's done for different movies. Never realised how many he did until then and all of them, we've seen at some stage or another. Junior loves watching his movies. Can't wait until "How to train your dragon" comes out too.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jul 13 2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Samsara
Dragon Healer

I cant wait to buy this movie. I want to watch it again, and again...

I want a Toothless!
Old Jul 18 2010, 02:11 AM   #10
ghost8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClance View Post
But, had the writers/directors of the movie stuck a little closer to the book, the movie might not have been as awesome. So, in this case, they made the better decision.

By the way, the movie is now available at amazon.com for pre-order in Region 1. They don't give a specific release date yet, though.

I totally agree, if they had stuck to the book, the movie wouldn't have been a thousandth as enjoyable as I'd found it to be. The issue is that the movie was trading on a book name, where the book it was derived from had very little to do with the plot of the movie. Call it a purist viewpoint. In this instance the title applies to the thrust of the movie's plot, even if it differs from the situations and most plot elements in the book.

But yes I am SO getting a copy of that movie as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Kinda wish Dreamworks could get their hands on Pern rights... IF they would keep closer to written plot that is. they definitely showed a dragon to rider bond that I could almost accept. better than Eragon had. Cinematics were excellent as well.
Old Jul 21 2010, 04:34 AM   #11
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost8772 View Post
Kinda wish Dreamworks could get their hands on Pern rights... IF they would keep closer to written plot that is. they definitely showed a dragon to rider bond that I could almost accept. better than Eragon had. Cinematics were excellent as well.
You just gave me a thought...

Could you imagine seeing Pern in 3D? Imagine what they could do in the thread-fighting and mating flight sequences!
Old Jul 21 2010, 05:07 AM   #12
Samsara
Dragon Healer

That would be amazing. I wish they would hurry up and make the movie already! The wait is... ughh. Hurry up already!!
Old Jul 22 2010, 03:14 AM   #13
ghost8772

Quote:

Could you imagine seeing Pern in 3D? Imagine what they could do in the thread-fighting and mating flight sequences!
Can so see the warning notes on the entry "No entry if you are plagued with a weak stomach, or prone to epileptic seizures"
Old Jul 22 2010, 11:51 PM   #14
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

That's the good thing about films like this; when done well,
it makes the fans want more. In this case, a whole new take on dragons has introduced thousands to the idea of the whole Dragon Rider genre of Sci-Fi/Fantasy. With a bit of luck, a Pern movie will be the next option for them, and then (if that works too), even more Dragon movies will follow!
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2010, 12:21 AM   #15
eann
Firestone

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct

I can't believe all of the related movies they have made already and STILL haven't done Pern. I wish to goodness they would hurry up (though not rush on quality of course) and do it. They have all the techniques they need to do it and Anne pretty much started the whole nice-psychic-useful-dragons-in-fiction craze.
eann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2010, 04:14 AM   #16
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Exactly! They have the technology to do it right.. so why the heck dont they??
Old Jul 23 2010, 04:49 AM   #17
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Because the movie makes have to be sure that people will go to see it, and I don't know how many Average Joes would go and watch a sci-fi/fantasy film about Dragons. From what I heard, Eragon was a flop, and thus failed to do the idea of Dragons any good, but HTTYD has certainly gained a larger fanbase following the movie, and if that proves to attract more viewers, hello more dragon films!
Old Jul 24 2010, 01:08 AM   #18
ghost8772

I think the problem is inherent with the movie makers, but not on whether people will want to see the movie they make. HTTYD, movie, like a number of others, had the hollywood average of similarity from book to movie. Title, "based on book by" some character names, maybe a plot element or two the Author impressed the director enough with to get it added into the movie, and nothing else. They did build on a base of young viewers to start the ball rolling, but this movie would have done equally as well on its own.

I do have to wonder if the movie was being made and someone found the book, had panic attacks about copyright infringement, then got rights, and changed names. Harry Potter, LoTR, Stephen King, and Anne Rice stuff has been a lot truer to the written version, with a larger fan base.

I have to think that the movie makers all think that they could only hope for the original fan base and not a ball to begin rolling for a sci-fi love story, with "rain" as the enemy. Eragon, and now HTTYD might have opened minds up on the mainline viewers that a symbiotic relationship between Human and dragon is a cool thing, instead of the old evil flying reptiles whose only purpose is to eat virgins, raze kingdoms, and be killed by knights in shining armor. Will have to see. Yeah I'd like to see Pern lit up by the silver screen, but not if the stories get tossed for CGI smoke and mirrors.
Old Jul 24 2010, 07:05 AM   #19
Samsara
Dragon Healer

I would have have to agree with that Ghost. If they make the movie & it sucks, I would be devestated...
Old Jul 25 2010, 11:58 PM   #20
ghost8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I would have have to agree with that Ghost. If they make the movie & it sucks, I would be devastated...
There's the rub though. I've read books that have been made into movies. some followed the book religiously, others got rights to the book, then went their own way with it, and it comes down to the movie magic of if it sinks or swims. I, Robot, not even close to the book, but a box office smash, same with HTTYD, Starship troopers, I think didn't do so well. Lord of the Rings, all three parts box office smash, and fairly closely follows the original story. Chronicles of Narnia, First part, again fairly close to book, huge fan base, box office smash, Prince Caspian appeared to flop, but think I saw that Dawn treader has one trailer out, so it might not have died.

In any event it seems there are nearly infinite possibilities of how a book becomes a movie. good or not so good book. script follows book closely, to close enough. or Title and names are grabbed, but thats it. Existing fan base Loves, hates, is disappointed by, or enjoys the new story as different from the one they read. and lastly did it make hollywood money money money, or not.mix and match.

In this instance, I will heartily recommend HTTYD the movie, but not the book so much. it really was a kid's book, and a lot of the plot action felt forced.

When Pern gets to movies, I heartily hope that the world that was created in spectacular detail is kept to. Well, I can hope at least.
Old Jul 26 2010, 06:19 AM   #21
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Starship Troopers was a book????
Old Jul 26 2010, 10:53 PM   #22
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. IMO one of the best books he wrote. I re-read that one every so often. Now I never watched the movie, so I don't know how much they did or didn't follow the book. I'm not sure a movie that was too close to the book would take in modern society. The book was published in 1959 and although Heinlein's views of women weren't typical of the times in a lot of ways, he still didn't see women as belonging in battle. But it is still a great read.
Old Jul 27 2010, 12:46 AM   #23
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Starship Troopers is one of my husband's favourite movies. I must admit, I also thought it was pretty funny. Is it meant to be a comedy?
Old Jul 27 2010, 03:12 AM   #24
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

According to the mere males of my house, there is 3 episodes in the Starship Troopers movies but I've only seen the first one. I didn't know it was based on a Heinlein book either

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jul 27 2010, 03:22 AM   #25
Samsara
Dragon Healer

I know of at least one other movie, but it was REALLY BAD...
Old Jul 28 2010, 05:47 PM   #26
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

In the case of I, Robot, it was based on an idea suggested by Isaac Asimov. They never claimed that the movie was actually based on the book itself.
Old Jul 29 2010, 02:01 PM   #27
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

I'm torn now between actually reading How To Train Your Dragon and just being happy with the movie and leaving it at that.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2010, 06:38 PM   #28
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

I did that with "Spaceballs" - watched the movie then read the book. The book and movie can be read/watched at the same time and be word for word to the scenes *shakes head in disgust*

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jul 30 2010, 04:19 AM   #29
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Starship Troopers has two different films going: a human acted + CGI version that has very little to do with the original book, and a cartoon series that has even less to do with the original.

The part of the original book that I think sticks in the craw of the film makers, is a society with no prisons. You are either flogged or executed (both in public). Juveniles get flogged, and so does whoever was in charge of them, for letting them do what ever they've done.

Oh, and a society where only those who've served in the military have earned the right to vote.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2010, 04:35 PM   #30
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey

I saw this movie when it first came out and loved it. Even my Aunt (who usually dislikes dragon movies) still thinks it was the best movie she has seen so far and this is after seeing the newest Shrek and Toy Story sequels. I am glad to hear that it will be going to dvd soon. And, yes it was way better than the book - something that is very rare in Hollywood.

For those who like Robert Heinlein have you ever read The Star Beast? It was one of Roberts books for young readers and my favorite as a child.

Basically an astronaut finds a cute little critter on a newly discovered planet and smuggles it back to earth as a pet. Years later it has grown into a giant multi-legged dragon. The dragon eats the neighbors dog so the young boy who owns it runs away with his pet. Meanwhile a UFO lands in Washington and the aliens demand that the humans turn over their kidnapped princess! The boy thinks the cops want to kill his pet, the authorities need to find the "pet" to prevent interstellar war, much comedy and drama occurs before everyone lives happily ever after.

Even more comically the edition of the book I had as a child had the Lummox (the name of the star beast) colored a bright pink, so I had a vision of a teenage boy and his girlfriend trying to hide a pink elephant sized monster in the green hills and woods - defiantly comical and surreal! The newer book cover shows a more hippo-like grey monster on the cover so I prefer the original.

I always thought that it would make a great animated movie, possibly by Disney. I can even imagine the marketing - they can promote the movie to fans of aliens, dragons, and princesses
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2010, 12:54 AM   #31
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:

Quote:
Jul 22 2010 11:21 PM
eann
Re: How To Train Your Dragon
I can't believe all of the related movies they have made already and STILL haven't done Pern. I wish to goodness they would hurry up (though not rush on quality of course) and do it. They have all the techniques they need to do it and Anne pretty much started the whole nice-psychic-useful-dragons-in-fiction craze.
@ eann seconded!
Quote:
Jul 25 2010 10:58 PM
ghost8772
Re: How To Train Your Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
I would have have to agree with that Ghost. If they make the movie & it sucks, I would be devastated...
seconded
There's the rub though. I've read books that have been made into movies. some followed the book religiously, others got rights to the book, then went their own way with it, and it comes down to the movie magic of if it sinks or swims. <snip>In any event it seems there are nearly infinite possibilities of how a book becomes a movie. good or not so good book. script follows book closely, to close enough. or Title and names are grabbed, but thats it. Existing fan base Loves, hates, is disappointed by, or enjoys the new story as different from the one they read. and lastly did it make hollywood money money money, or not.mix and match. <sinp>
When Pern gets to movies, I heartily hope that the world that was created in spectacular detail is kept to. Well, I can hope at least.
@ Ghost Seconded that why Anne didn't like the TV Scrip.

I haven't read or watched How to Tran Your Dragon or Starship Trooper, Spaceball nope, I can't think atm the moment
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2010, 11:17 PM   #32
Brenda

Tamara - I loved The Star Beast!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9 2010, 12:27 AM   #33
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
I was, of course, thinking more of the "flight" part of the mating flight than the actual "mating" part. I assure you, I had no X-rated thoughts in mind.
Old Aug 25 2010, 12:05 AM   #34
ghost8772

wow, I opened a whole can of off topic worms there didn't I? Yeah, Starship troopers, the Movie grabbed names, the idea of the arachnids, and pretty much ran off on its own from there. they ended up making two Direct-to-Video sequels of the movie, yeah I ran across the cartoon troopers, and avoided it, since it seemed to be based off the movie ideas, not the book. Sigh, they didn't even have the 30 second bomb in it. (the point that hooked me)

I never looked closely enough to see if they added the "based on the book by..." for I, Robot, guilty of assuming that since they too kthe name they would toss that in somewhere. shame on me.

Okay happy News, and even back on topic, looks like "How to Train your Dragon" will be released October 15 (YAY). and about time. most of the other movies released at the same time in theaters have been on DVD for a month now.
Old Feb 10 2011, 11:03 PM   #35
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

I loved HTTYD, but the dvd we got had a scratch in the middle, so i missed a few scenes.

Last edited by Rianne; Feb 10 2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: smilie change
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2011, 11:43 PM   #36
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Can you take it back and swap it for another one?

I have my copy on DVD now, and I've already watched it a ouple of times. I love Toothless, especially when he tries to smile!

BTW, has anyone seen the prices for a decent Toothless plush toy on ebay? Ridiculous....

Last edited by Samsara; Feb 10 2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 27 2011, 03:07 PM   #37
Loiosh
Slither

Fan of: Ruth
Now Reading: Dragongirl

I'm looking forward to seeing the 3D version of this land. Right now it's a Samsung exclusive. Fair warning: The books are completely different from the movie. They're age 8-10 kid's books that follow a completely different plot.

For those waiting for HTTYD, there's good news. Dean DuBlois (co-director on Lilo and Stitch and HTTYD 1) is director for this. Bonnie Arnold (producer of Toy Story, Over the Hedge and HTTYD) is producer and Dreamworks gave it a full 4-year development cycle. I am optimistic this will deliver a good product. Bonnie is the one who made the call with HTTYD to scrap it half-way in and hire Chris and Dean to take it over.
Loiosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2011, 11:55 PM   #38
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Quote:
I did that with "Spaceballs" - watched the movie then read the book. The book and movie can be read/watched at the same time and be word for word to the scenes *shakes head in disgust*
At least that's more that can be said for some novelisations. There's an old film out there called "Phantom Of The Paradise", which is about a record company owner, Swan, who steals a composer's music and gets him sent to jail. The composer escapes, becomes disfigured, and begins sabotaging events at "The Paradise" - Swan's music hall - in disguise. Swan later catches the "Phantom" and suggests they work together, but secretly is planning to use him to get more music. And as things go on, things take a Faustian twist...

The problem with the novelisation? The author didn't see the movie. Instead, they gave him an older script, which changes the way several characters act and omits the Faustian twist, which affects the entire third act - as a result, in the novel, Swan briefly becomes the "good" main character, and the Phantom the villain. I have no idea how they let this one get past the publishers!
Old Aug 16 2012, 11:19 AM   #39
Sadi
Loo Cow

Fan of: Masterharper of Pern
Now Reading: Something my Maria V. Snyder

Love the movie, loved the books, but the audio books if you have little ones are to die for. David Tennet is the voice of them so any Whovian should love that as well.
Sadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2012, 02:09 PM   #40
Brenda

I'm going to post something from the NKT...

Quote:
For those who enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon, a follow-up TV series, Dragons: Riders of Berk, is set to air September 4. Two full-length sample episodes are up on Youtube:

Episode 1: "How to Start a Dragon Academy"

Episode 2: "Viking For Hire"

And a clip of Episode 3: "Avalanche"

It looks really good in every way. The animation is on level with a big-screen production. The writing and storytelling is excellent. It's a worthy follow-up for the movie. I'm, of course, certainly excited about it. Finally, a TV series about dragons.
I watched those first two and the were really good, considering. I had also just watched the film two days before so it was fresh in my mind.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote