A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > All the Rest

All the Rest One-offs, romances, fantasy novellas, short stories... If it's not in any of the above series - or it crosses the realms of multiple series - come discuss it here!

Old Jan 2 2009, 08:16 PM   #41
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Favorite Romance?

Three Women is an omnibus which contains three of Anne's romances: Ring of Fear, The Kilternan Legacy, and Mark of Merlin.

Ring of Fear is my least favorite of those, so I'm suprised to hear you like it so much Unicorntig! I think it's because it feels the most dated in it's portrayal of relationships. Nialla marries what's-his-name mostly on a whim as she certainly knows next to nothing about him, not even that he wasn't one of the men who was out to get her. And then she subordinates herself thoroughly to him. Bleck!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2009, 08:40 PM   #42
Brenda

Yeah, I have the same reaction to RoF. I would rather know more about how she tamed that horse!

I just reread "The Lady" for the first time since I read it originally, which was some time ago so I remembered almost nothing except what happens during the hunt... It certainly has some of the best-written characters. I know "The Kilternan Legacy" also had good characters, but they had a different feel - maybe because it was first-person.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2009, 08:11 AM   #43
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Thanks, Cheryl! Now I have something to look out for at used bookstores or maybe one of the bookseller sites (Amazon, Barnes and Noble). Since I don't have paypal I don't go to Ebay, but there's always other methods of getting what you want!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2009, 10:01 AM   #44
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Try bookfinder.com.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2009, 12:32 PM   #45
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

I like the other romance novels as well Cheryl, but Ring of Fire for some reason just caught my attention. For me it was fun to read about the slightly questionable decisions made by both parties and then seeing how everything turned out in the end.

HAHA... I think I just like the story the best because of the unrealistic tendencies and how everything works out in the end.

My second favorite romance novel is definitely Stitch in Snow… that is a great love story!!
Old Jan 10 2009, 05:29 PM   #46
tatiana
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: A Storm of Swords

I haven't read the Anne McCaffrey romance books in years, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to say my favorite was probably "Mark of Merlin" ...especially since I named my half-German Shepherd dog "Merlin" in part because of remembering the dog featured in that book. He was a sweety, and entirely too smart.

tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote