A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 12 2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Pern RP idea?

(I hope this is in the right place, I wasn't sure which section it should go in)

I’ve been reading through a lot of Pern RP Forums and reading the things people don’t like about some of them, and so I wrote this list of how I’d make a hypothetical RP Weyr, trying to keep it as close to the Weyrs as depicted in the books, although with more opportunities for RPing. I actually like the idea of a lot of this, and I wonder if I should actually make it in the future, but for now, it’s just a design sheet. Have a read, and see what you think of it.

Board Type:
This board would be a RP board made to simulate the experience of being in a Weyr, while still allowing adventures and stories to spring up. It would be mostly canon, using no non-canon dragon colours, and having the canon dragon colour/rider gender rules (Although possibly allowing girls to impress Blues, see Dragon Colours section.). To allow the most possible options for a RPer, this board would have to take place in an alternate universe, where Thread falls, girls impress Greens, and fire-lizards are kept, but the Pern is the one we know from later books, with the Harper Hall the way it is in the Ninth Pass (as compared to its unfinished state in older books), and the relationships of Holders, Craftsmen and Dragonriders as good as they were in the Ninth Pass. This could make it anything from a “No AIVAS” board, where AIVAS was never discovered, or even a future where Thread has returned. For ease, I am only including the Northern Weyrs, and calling it a Hypothetical Pass.

Board Structure:
The message board is divided into two main groups, the IC board and the OOC board. The OOC board would be where the off-topic forum, the welcome pages, and other such discussion posts could go. The IC board would look like this:

PERN ROLEPLAY BOARD
1: Fort Weyr
(Sub Forums: Weyrs, Hatching Grounds)
2: Benden Weyr
3. High Reaches Weyr
4: Igen Weyr
5. Ista Weyr
6. Telgar Weyr

As you no doubt are thinking, this is rather a lot of different locations, and I agree; I don’t think it’s a good idea to make too many locations when you start a forum, but my reasoning for this will be explained below.

When joining, a member can pick any of the following Weyrs as a home Weyr, and roleplay from there. The large amount of different Weyrs allows people to form groups in each, and even transfer to different Weyrs, as a rider would in the books. It also allows for realistic interaction between Weyrs.

The two sub-forums on each Weyr, the Weyrs and Hatching Grounds each are used for different things. The Hatching Grounds are where all Hatching RP posts will go, and all things related to that. The Weyrs forum is a place to post character bios. Each post (and character) represents an occupied weyr in the walls of the respective Weyr. So, when posting their character’s biography, people can also post the name and biography of their dragon, and even post a list of their possessions, or even what their weyr looks like if they want to.

As on most Pern forums, towards the top will be several links that describe the Pernese history of the forum, what dragon colours are available, and a map of Pern itself and all significant locations. Also here will be a list of the rules, both rules of etiquette, and of what can and can not be done in this canon RP, such as boys impressing Golds, or girls impressing Bronzes.

Joining:
Joining this message board would be no different from any other board; you create a user name, and then fill out the usual forum requirements. Once a member, you pick one of the six Weyrs/forums, and you have the option of starting as a weyrling, and you can wait for a hatching, or you can create a character and dragon, and RP as if they were always at the Weyr, provided that they comply with the rules regarding dragon colour/rider gender (See below. By the way, if you wanted, you could even be a weyrsinger, or someone who isn’t a dragonrider.). Not only does this mean that you can pick the colour, but it also means that you can determine everything you want about the dragon, from name to personality. This option is preferable to the hatching scenario, as it requires less work for the admins, creating characters for everyone that they will be happy with. Plus, it means that their characters don’t have to grow up and go through all the chores and training required of them…
Message Board Ranks:
(1 Star)=Drudge (1-10 Posts)
(2 Stars)=Weyrling (11-100 Posts)
(3 Stars)=Dragonrider (101+ Posts)
(4 Stars)=Wingleaders/Junior Weyrwomen (Elected Moderators)
(5 Bronze Stars)=Weyrleader (Secondary Board Moderator/Admin)
(5 Gold Stars)=Weyrwoman (Head Board Moderator/Admin)

Weyrleaders/Moderators:
While Weyrwomen will always be the leaders of the appropriate board, every now and then, a new Weyrleader will be selected out of any member on the board, via mating flights (see below). Any Bronze (Or a Brown, if the Weyrleader chooses) can be selected to lead a wing. Wingleaders get limited forum privileges, such as the ability to lock posts, but they do not get complete moderator powers like the Weyrleader or Weyrwoman. A Wing can be made up of anything from 12-30 dragons, and these can be formed by groups of friends on the forum, although some who haven’t joined in groups could always be placed in them by a Wingleader.

As in the books, Fort Weyr is considered the leading Weyr. The creator/leader/s of this forum will be the Head Moderators of the entire forum, and will play as the Weyrleader & Weyrwoman of Fort Weyr.

Dragon Colours:
The colours available would be strictly canon colours; Gold, Bronze, Brown, Blue, Green. Traditional gender rules would apply here; Girls impress Golds and Greens, Boys impress Bronzes, Browns & Blues, although occasionally Greens.

Now, obviously, as the higher colours (Gold/Bronze) are the most commonly wanted by new roleplayers, and these are also some of the rarest colours in a weyr, changes will be made to make this easier. Initially, Golds will only be available for the female moderators, and then, when hatchings begin, the moderators will decide who will be the most appropriate recipient (See Hatching section for more details). Bronzes will be allowed to be used, but if too many users are created requesting Bronze (Unlikely when given six Weyrs to fill), then they will need to be curbed. Something possible is the idea of making a tally list as to how many colours exist in each Weyr.

It may seem unfair that in this instance, girls can only really impress Greens; Golds being exceptionally rare, while boys have three different options to pick from. If this becomes an issue, then it is possible that the rules could be changed to allow girls to impress Blues, or maybe even Browns.

Mating Flights:
With the exception of Fort Weyr, every Weyr will have a mating flight with their queens at least once a year, possibly twice. If it is a junior queen, then the outcome of the flight will not affect anything, but if it is the senior queen, then the outcome of the flight will decide the new head moderator of the individual forum. Any male dragon, Bronze, Brown and even Blue can attempt to fly the queen.

To decide which dragon flies the queen, a numbering system will be used by the Weyrwoman. Every Blue attempting to fly the queen is assigned 10 points, every Brown 100, and every Bronze 500. Add to their tally, the amount of posts done by the rider in the Weyr forums, and for any bad behaviour in the past, take away 5 points or more, depending on what it was. At the end, the Weyrwoman chooses one of the riders left out of the highest ten riders. This rider becomes the Weyrleader of the appropriate forum, and will remain so until he either quits the forum, is killed by Thread (see below), or is forcefully impeached for dereliction of duty (A requirement on the forum). Since Fort Weyr is the senior Weyr, the Weyrleader of that forum must always be the webmaster of the forum. As such, if he feels that another Weyrleader is not fulfilling their job appropriately, he can remove them.

Hatchings:
Taking place some time after a mating flight, a hatching will normally contain mostly Green eggs, many Blue eggs, some Brown and Bronze eggs, and occasionally, a Gold egg. If a user has not yet impressed a dragon, they have the opportunity to go onto the hatching grounds and impress. Beforehand, if a user wants to impress, they must send the Weyrwoman or one of the Wingleaders a message stating the name of their dragon, and if they have a preference as to what colour they want to impress, bar Gold. Whoever impresses the Gold will be decided by the senior members of any Weyr, by looking at the record of each potential candidate, and deciding which one is best suited for the job. If no users can be found, then the queen’s clutch will not have an egg, or an NPC will impress. NPCs will be used to fill empty positions, for instance, if there were 23 eggs, and only 17 candidates, 5 NPC characters would be created for impression, and after the hatching they would either disappear or be used as cannon fodder for the darker scenes, i.e. Threadfall.

Threadfall:
I am unsure as to how Threadfall would be done. It could require someone to make a flash game, where people actually fight Thread and get injured, and later their outcome becomes their character’s outcome, ranging from safety to injury to death. Alternatively, someone could work out a number system, or create a choose-your-own adventure format of fighting Thread, or even something involving dice and a printout, whatever works for you.

One predictable problem is what happens if a users beloved character succumbs to Thread. No problem. Once their character dies, they do not lose their membership, they can either create a new character and continue to RP, or they can beg the Weyrleader to allow them to “miraculously” resurrect their character, having them just miss that one clump of Thread.

And that’s my idea for a Pern RP forum. What do you think?
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2010, 06:47 AM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: Pern RP idea?

Not bad, I RP a female green rider jouneywoman healer, of a green that has one small thing sliver stripes on her wings and muzzle, not real a sport, for grew into right size for a green just started out small didn't expend to hatch, hatchs first, and did impress Ginny (RPC) and lived.

Also because some folks desied to quite rude to one of the creater of the new Sounthern/Cove are the two main one with action going on around Pern. http://z15.invisionfree.com/Southern...ex.php?act=idx for Southern Weyr
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Cove_Weyr/index.php? Cove Wyer
http://www.annemccaffreyfans.org/for...ad.php?t=20026 Southern Wyer
http://www.annemccaffreyfans.org/for...ad.php?t=20066 Cove Weyr

Register-> cleared by Webmistress maiken for you can PM over at NKT-AMCFF and then once OK, then
Folks must log in to see anything at the two.

We are looking for everyone, and do have wher which some folks don't care for, GinnyStar2 username at both Wyers just tell maiken you found via post here a MoM (Meeting of the Minds) and the two post there welll give some of the background information.
Also for my post, for malken did ask folks to ask around, and I leave the explaining up to those who have more RPC then I.
GinnyStar2
Weyr
~Ginny, Journeywoman Healer, Sport rider of green with silver stripes Forieth
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jan 1 2010 at 07:09 AM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Not I bad idea at all.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 02:25 AM   #4
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
Not I bad idea at all.
On what written? Its just I was given in RPC and changed so fit the history of the Weyrs I'm playing in.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
On what written?
Sorry, Ginny, I meant on Almarion’s idea for the RP Pern. I didn’t have time to look up the links when I wrote it before.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote