A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey > Jody Lynn Nye

Jody Lynn Nye Author of the Dragonlover's Guide to Pern, co-author in the Planet Pirate , Doona, and Brainship series, and last but not least sci-fi/fantasy author in her own right (or is that write?) with over a dozen books published.

Old Apr 21 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts
Default Don't Forget Your Spacesuit, Dear

I noticed no one's posted in here in a while, and I just started re-reading this anthoilogy, so I thought I'd start a thread!

I'm having fun rediscovering the stories and wondering how I forgot them.

Sorry to say but so far What's the Magic Word is my favorite solo story of Jody Lynn Nye's, I can't seem to get into anything else. Could be that I just don't tend to like magic fantasy. Another exception to the no magic is Elizabeth Moon's Paksinnarion series.
I suppose the draw is that I wound up liking and being interested in James Gage, plus the combination of magic bullets and magic telephones (etherphone) to name two.
Would that the word please really did work like magic all the time.

Okay, regarding solo stories by Nye, I'm not counting The Ship Errant because the prequel was cowritten with Anne McCaffrey. But I did like that book too, easier to read the second time around.

EAS: I got partway through Don't Go Out in Holy Underwear, which was fun, before skimming through to the end. Again, seems to be the only solo work of yours I've read. Don't worry, I just enjoyed Deluge last week!

Yes I know there's an Elizabeth Anne Scarborough subforum, but I didn't want to start two threads about the same anthology and JLN edited it.

Anyone else read it?

Also included: Robert Aspirin's You Never Call, which was good. I thought the placing of it right before A Mother's Lament which had the same theme of an adult child not calling their mother was brilliant.

Haven't reached The Golden Years McCaffrey) or Accidents Don't Just Happn - They're Caused (Elizabeth Moon) yet, and I don't remember them from the first time around. I'll comment when I've read them.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Don't Forgot Your Spacesuit, Dear

Yes, I read it but that was ages ago and if it weren't for the fact that I have litterally dozens of books that I already bought and have never read, I'm afraid a reread has to wait.

I do remember the AMC story well and since I actually work parttime in the field of care for the elderly I thought it was a nice story

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Brenda

I think I got this from the library once... but I think I only looked at AMC's story. It's been a while
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23 2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Well, Brenda, you missed some fun stories. I read The Golden Years yesterday and found it okay. Got me thinking about my grandparents. But I thought some of the others were even better. There's a lot of humor too.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 12:12 AM   #5
eann
Firestone

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct

I posted once before but probably forgot to hit the quick reply button--you obviously missed a deep literary experience by not reading Victoria's Secret or Don't Go Out in Holy Underwear or Space Panties! It's probably the silliest story I ever wrote--thanks, Jody Lynn, for bringing that out--but it's been reprinted and audio recorded in the Science Fiction Shorts and done so brilliantly I could hardly believe it was mine!
eann is offline   Reply With Quote