A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Mar 25 2009, 02:52 AM   #1
bats

Default Who is a Twilight Fan

Bats is now ,when my son took me to the Movies and said
We're going to see Twilight ''explained it was a Vampire movie,,was really not
into seeing it ,as I thought so many Films done on Vampires
I really enjoyed the story the Vampire was cute all the cast did a good job
but Jacob in the Man to Bats LOL!!!,,haven't started the books yet
as I've enjoyed the Film
Bats
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2009, 05:29 AM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Who is a Twilight Fan

You will have to discuss this with Spacedog (that's my hubby who loves reading this series by Stephanie Meyer) who has currently got all the books up to now. You're doing better then me if that's the case, have not read the books nor saw the movie yet. He's busy watching tv with junior at the moment...

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Emma-Jayde
Shipfish

Fan of: Pern and Crystal Singer
Now Reading: LotR, when I have the time.

I haven't read the books/seen the movie yet either. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually
Then again, maybe not. Half the people I know are still horrified because I gave up on Harry Potter after the second movie.
Emma-Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

Okay, here it is. My first public admission. I LOVE them. Well, not Book 4, I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist.

They're not particularly well written, there's so much about them I don't like, but I can't help it. They're like a virus. You touch them and you're infected

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

I read them I liked them granted they are more for teenagers than adults. But than again I still buy and read comic books. I haven't seen the movie yet I'm going to wait untill they play it on cable.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Lily

I read the first one just to see what it was all about.
And only finished it in the hope that it might improve
It Didnt

I'll see the movie given the chance - but am not bothered about the rest of the series.
Old Mar 25 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Thanks for this thread - you inspired me to check F_W for the latest Twilight W---.

Ooh, boy. We hit the sparkly jackpot this time.... Someone's publishing a fanfic sequel.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

That was indeed a hoot, Kath. What a unique interpretation of copyright law that fandom writer holds.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

I was just reading about "Russet Noon" (what sort of screwed up name is that?) I don't normally root for lawyers, but I hope they come down on this delusional person hard and fast

Old Mar 26 2009, 05:29 PM   #10
bats

Glad to read many Fans here
Since I saw Twilight I've come across some funny things
First our librarian wouldn't watch the movie till she read the Book ,,well she
hasn't stopped raving about the Book.. all a flutter she is ..[sound like
Yoda I do ] and she doesn't care if it's for Teenagers
Second I was reading that Robert isn't popular with the Casts as he doesn't
shower much ,,,same as Brad Pitt Keanu Reeves
And I still read comics and have a bit of a Collection and I'll be 72 soon
bats
Old Mar 27 2009, 12:54 AM   #11
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

I’m just getting into the Twilight series. My sister gave me the first 2 books for my birthday and I’m slowing working my way through the first one.

I like what I’ve read so far. I find that I tend to like most books as long as they have a decent story-line. I’m not to picky unless it’s really bad, .
Old Mar 27 2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Thanks for this thread - you inspired me to check F_W for the latest Twilight W---.

Ooh, boy. We hit the sparkly jackpot this time.... Someone's publishing a fanfic sequel.
That was hilarious. I want to follow all the links now.

But that person is an idiot. Pretty soon, she's going to be a destitute idiot.

As for the book - meh. Read "Twilight". Will read the rest if I can get them at thrift stores, or for cheap. Don't want to spend real money on those books. Will spend real money on authors that I like.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2009, 01:32 PM   #13
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

May I take the time to share with you all a gem of a link a friend sent to me yesterday?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/487878

And for the record, I've not read the books, but the film was watchable enough. ^^
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Definitely not worth buying the books new, and as vampire fic goes it's only meh, but the first one was good for a bus read over Christmas.

I may have to see the films simply because RPattz is a hoot and obviously thinks Meyer is totally insane (and he's right.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30 2009, 02:26 AM   #15
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Okay, here it is. My first public admission. I LOVE them. Well, not Book 4, I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist.

They're not particularly well written, there's so much about them I don't like, but I can't help it. They're like a virus. You touch them and you're infected
I must be immune to it then.

As for my own opinion - meh. On the books, I mean. They're nothing special, and I wouldn't waste money on new copies, but I'm not rabidly against them (I'm even going to borrow the third and fourth books from a *sane* friend so I can finish the series). And really, if there's anything about it that I actually would go so far as to despise it would be the following reasons:

1. Being shrieked at by my school mates/other teenagers in the district every time someone asks me if I love Twilight/thinks Edward's a hunk of steaming hot meat and I turn around and say something along the lines of "Meh, I'm not fussed/crazy over Edward/the series". You'd think I'd turned around and said that I set fire to puppies for giggles. Oh yeah, and then there was that teacher...yeah, ninety percent of the fans scare me.

2. Nearly stabbing myself accidently with a pair of scissors at the words "Why are we studying Austen? Why are we talking about Tolkien? Why are you discussing Rowling? Twilight and Meyer are so much better - Meyer is as incomparable as Jane Austen!" (At which point the *intell-er, sane* people in my Adv. English class - teacher included - all proceeded to just stare at this chick, jaws on the floor and all).

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2009, 11:17 AM   #16
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Dragongirl: O.o

I don't know if I'm more stunned she said it, or that she knew the word "incomparable."

Though actually...using "incomparable" in a comparison...the irony, she burns.

Again: if you don't mind teenage wangst, dubious vampire lore, complete out of left field biology (human tissue can't crystalize into a 'diamond; drinking animal blood does not make one vegetarian, 'helping' the animal kingdom by slaughtering apex predators that are already low in numbers is flat-out stupid, etc) and the idea that ANYONE in their right mind would want to be seventeen forever (unless they're 13 and don't realize how much being a teenager sucks in general) or would really want to sleep with a teenage boy if an adult male was available, it's not bad.

That said, in the right circumstances, to borrow a phrase from cleolinda, I would hit Movie!Carlisle like the fist of an angry god. That man makes a lab coat look good.
Old Apr 1 2009, 12:58 PM   #17
Brenda

I haven't read or seen Twilight, but I really laughed when I saw a reference to this T-shirt quote:

"And then Buffy staked Edward.
The End."
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2009, 02:21 PM   #18
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

As a fundraiser for the YA track at DragonCon, cleolinda is letting a group sell t-shirts of her quote "Twilight means never having to say you're kidding."
Old Apr 2 2009, 06:19 AM   #19
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I haven't read or seen Twilight, but I really laughed when I saw a reference to this T-shirt quote:

"And then Buffy staked Edward.
The End."
If you think that's funny, then I recommend you read this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4413505/...rkling_Vampire

Spike might have tendencies towards stalking and assholery, but I've nominated him as my new fanged hero in this.

Anareth: I don't think she even knew what the word meant until forty five seconds before when it was used three times in a debate (by my teacher, me and one of my male friends, though I was explaining the meaning to a friend who went O.O at it. A nice, sane friend who does like Twilight for fluffy reading, but isn't about to go around saying it's better than say...Pride and Prejudice. Or Lady Susan. Or Jane Eyre [I felt so individual reading that when I did...all of the other girls were clutching Twilight in their hands and here I was puttering around the grounds with my nose in Charlotte Bronte]).

But yeah, I don't think I was the only one thinking somewhere along the lines of: Austen=/=Meyer. Just...big WTF.

Quote:
That said, in the right circumstances, to borrow a phrase from cleolinda, I would hit Movie!Carlisle like the fist of an angry god. That man makes a lab coat look good.
Hell. Yes. I actually stopped thinking about Hugh Jackman for five minutes when I saw Movie!Carlisle. I felt so bad afterwards that I actually stole Van Helsing off of my brother and made myself watch it.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Apr 2 2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
Hell. Yes. I actually stopped thinking about Hugh Jackman for five minutes when I saw Movie!Carlisle. I felt so bad afterwards that I actually stole Van Helsing off of my brother and made myself watch it.
Now, THAT is punishment no one should have to endure. Even Hugh Jackman shirtless in leather trousers couldn't...

Where was I going with that thought?
Old Apr 2 2009, 07:45 PM   #21
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

I kind of put "Twilight" in the same reading category as <anything by V.C.Andrews> - amusement fluff.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3 2009, 03:28 AM   #22
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Now, THAT is punishment no one should have to endure. Even Hugh Jackman shirtless in leather trousers couldn't...

Where was I going with that thought?
Momentary lapse in Jackman-rating sanity?

That man made watching Australia bearable. Being raised around drovers, I was rather astonished that he pulled the stereotype off so well.

Old Apr 3 2009, 12:23 PM   #23
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Hugh Jackman makes many things bearable. Unfortunately Van Helsing was not one of them.
Old Apr 4 2009, 05:53 AM   #24
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Oh, if you just, you know, pause the movie on that bit, and then keep it there, or replay it over and over again...maybe. Just maybe, it's halfway there.

All of my male friends can't get enough of the movie (including the ones I actually thought had more than a portion of a braincell in their brains) - apparently it has nothing to do with their hormones being treated to naked female harpy chicks and Kate Beckinsale in a corset thing. Yeah, sure boys, I believe you. Why ever would I not?

Old Aug 23 2009, 08:47 PM   #25
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Oh, I would hit movie!Carlisle like the fist of an angry god. DAMN but pale and blonde looks good on that man.

The only thing I'd ever hit Edward the sociopathic stalker with is a baseball bat. That isn't love, it's severe abuse. A normal human who behaved like him would quite rightly belong in jail, while Bella belongs in therapy.

The vampires she's created have many problems, not least of which is the pure stupidity of the sparkling (if Bella had an IQ higher than 60, she'd be experimenting--why don't htey sparking in artificial light? Clouds don't mean there's NO direct sun (ask anyone who's been burned on a cloudy day). What about sun lamps?) But also, Smeyer made them so invulnerable they're just boring, plus the elder vampires (Voltari?) SCREAM "I am a Mormon with SERIOUS psychological issues about Catholicism."

Mostly, though, her male/female relationships are deeply, deeply disturbing. I'm about as not-a-feminist as you can get and they make me cringe.
Old Aug 24 2009, 12:17 PM   #26
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Lanen, I've been trying to figure out why I like them too, though I can say the second time I read them I was less in love. I didn't get as sucked in because I was trying really hard to answer that question. Honestly, I think SMeyer just hit exactly what appeals to the teenage girl and those of us who have been teenage girls. She got it so perfectly it couldn't have been planned. I think the reason I can't figure it out is it's sort of intangible... it's how it makes you feel, not because of what it specifically does or doesn't do. But I think her "OMG! My boyfriend left me and now my life is ooooover I might as well diiiie!" thing was particularly realistic and it makes me laugh my rear off, because I'll admit, I was totally one of those people. Though I didn't go semi-comatose for months

As for movie Carlisle I've seen him in other things (like Can't Hardly Wait) and I never thought him good looking. But you make him all pale and put him in a lab coat... I was drooling almost as badly as the dogs do for a potato skin.

Old Aug 25 2009, 06:03 AM   #27
bats

Well Girls I think the main thing about Twilight the love affair is a deep down
delight we Girls would like,but won't say,remember how popular Fonzie was
As for Bats ,,stuff the Vampire I like,, Jacob I am reading the Books now seeing the Movie first I had the idea what they look like as I read the Books
Saw preview of New Moon you should see Jacob HUBA_HUBA
Bats
Old Aug 25 2009, 03:53 PM   #28
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

If you want true love, read "Pride and Prejudice". (If you want how it REALLY works, read "Sense and Sensibility.")

And yeah. Vampire stories only work when there's a certain degree of logic to them. Her rationale for the sparkling skin is that it's crystalized when they die of the venom. Unless you are going to EXPLICITLY use magic and explain how it works, that's not how decomposition works. Trying to make her vampires as mundane as possible means she can't make up bullshit stuff like that. Not to mention that it ignores all the problems having skin that's REALLY that hard should cause. Plus, again, if they sparkle in sun, they should sparkle in artificial light and diffuse sunlight--light is light is light. Unless there is magic involved, and Meyer never mentions it.

It's a fantasy novel is not an excuse. You have to have an internally consistent system and unless you specifically handwave/lampshade it, you need to have things work logically.

I always thought the point of teenagnst angst was to learn that life goes on and it really ISN'T that important. That love in not in fact worth dying over (Romeo and Juliet--tragic figures, not sympathetic role models.) Also to learn that anyone who obseses over you and sneaks into your room is not in fact good boyfriend material. He's a stalker who is far more likely to rape and kill you. That total subsumation of your identity at age seventeen (because 18 is OLD! ANCIENT!) is totally acceptable and appropriate. That contemplation of suicide is a sign of severe mental issues requiring therapy and possible medication and hospitalization, not a glamorous way of showing how much you love someone.

Also it really doesn't help that especially in the first book, Bella's a total bitch. She brings all her problems on herself and basically sulks. How HORRIBLE--boys at her new school want to be NICE to her! They want to ask her out, how awful! Forks sucks,the weather sucks, moving there sucks, but it was totally her decision to move there. And she's really ugly, what with that pale skin and dark hair and long limbs and all. That and she's apparently too stupid and clumsy to live without intervention. And by the last book, her transformation into uber-Mary Sue is complete, with her being the bestest vampire who every existed, ever.

Mormons have a longstanding problem with Catholics (ie that Catholics, indeed most mainstream Christian sects, like to point out it's hard to call yourself Christian when your church has fundamental philosophical differences with the teachings of Christ Himself.) There is somewhere on-line a play-by-play analysis of Twilight by a recovering Mormon where she points out everything that's directly in line with hardcore LDS views on womens' roles in particular.

I think, too, I'm just way past the point where wanting to be 17 forever is appealing. The good thing about teenagers is eventually, one way or another, they stop being teenagers. Especially if it means you have to have sex with a seventeen-year-old boy. Find me a man who's eternally 35 or so and we'll talk. A seventeen-year-old male with no prior sexual experience is going to be outright useless. I never understood people who wanted to date in high school. There was nothing attractive about the age-appropriate males yet. Even early twenties is still pushing it a bit.
Old Aug 25 2009, 08:30 PM   #29
bats

My dear Anareth love has never been logic,,Vampire, Alien etc,would be
a deep down fantasy, as was Fonzie appeal was ,the Boy-Friend ,a Girl would
think about but wouldn't bring home to meet the Parents LOL
As for Bella been sulkly I think she was a lot like her dad where her Mum was
very very Outgoing,,,but as she got to know the Crowd and they accepted
the way she was that's the best with Friends.
As for by the look of it New Moon will have more action Err!!! did I mention
Jacob,, he's Bat's Fantasy
The Romances you mention Anareth ,,were also sort of beyond loves too and I ,loved those stories too bats
loved those stories too
Old Aug 29 2009, 10:27 PM   #30
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

How can you enjoy something like "Pride and Prejudice" and take "Twilight" any more seriously than a Harlequin? (Which at least is written purely for cash.)

FANTASY. MUST. HAVE. LOGIC. Or it's badly written. You do not get to say "Oh, it's about love." There is a terrible logic to "Romeo and Juliet." "Gone With the Wind" has a logic and internal consistency (plus a heroine who's vastly more convincing as a bratty girl, simply because she grows out of it.) Heck, "The Thorn Birds" is wonderfully romantic (and talk about a totally inappropriate relationship.) Twilight has unconvincing characters, and the "bad boy" is horrible, TERRIBLE role model. "Fonzie" wore a leather jacket and said "eh" and most people like him grew up to be white-collar suburbanites. Real people who exhibit the behaviors Edward does grow up to be Ted Bundy and Charles Manson. I recognize there are women who have a perverse fascination with dangerous men. But don't pretend it's a GOOD book in an objective sense. Or it's about love. It's about an abusive relationship and a girl who's incapable of maturing beyond the mental age of 16 if she thinks that's an appropriate relationship.

You want a good vampire book? Robin McKinley's "Sunshine" is the best I've ever read, and I have read more vampire books than most people (except probably my professor who taught the course I took in vampires in Eastern European Folklore and American Popular Culture, though I bet I've read more pop-culture than he has. He almost certainly has me beat on folkloric!)

Please. Use Twilight as a gateway drug if you must but find something better if you want to read about vampires. That would be almost anything including Anne Rice (and I find the Vampire Chronicles underwhelming at best.)
Old Aug 30 2009, 07:33 AM   #31
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Am I the only one who has not got on the bandwagon and read said books? Seriously.......Read 1 or 2 of Anne Rice's books and thought they were lame. The only one I semi-got into and written in a similiar vein perhaps, was "Bitten" by Kelly Armstrong and that was dealing with werewolves. Mind you, both hubby dearest and a supposedly sane friend have read the books and liked it so I'm curious but not THAT curious.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30 2009, 08:22 PM   #32
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Nope, I haven't read them either and have no plans in the near future.

Sunshine, mentioned above by Anareth, is the only vampire book I've ever read, and that was because McKinley is usually a fabulous author. It was fabulous, but I'm still not interested in reading other vampire books, I just don't get the appeal.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2009, 05:19 AM   #33
bats

I give -up Anareth...I just used The Fonz as a another example
same as Elvis the untouchable we like to have a little Daydream,,as for
Twilight been well written I can't really say it was ,,BUT.,, it was different
and got People into reading and there was no blood ,didn't show the Violence
but you imaged what happen,I haven't read the others yet,I think the best
way to put it a Light Love story and reading
Bats
Old Sep 2 2009, 11:16 AM   #34
DragonDance
Welladay Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
How can you enjoy something like "Pride and Prejudice" and take "Twilight" any more seriously than a Harlequin? (Which at least is written purely for cash.)

FANTASY. MUST. HAVE. LOGIC. Or it's badly written. You do not get to say "Oh, it's about love." There is a terrible logic to "Romeo and Juliet." "Gone With the Wind" has a logic and internal consistency (plus a heroine who's vastly more convincing as a bratty girl, simply because she grows out of it.) Heck, "The Thorn Birds" is wonderfully romantic (and talk about a totally inappropriate relationship.) Twilight has unconvincing characters, and the "bad boy" is horrible, TERRIBLE role model. "Fonzie" wore a leather jacket and said "eh" and most people like him grew up to be white-collar suburbanites. Real people who exhibit the behaviors Edward does grow up to be Ted Bundy and Charles Manson. I recognize there are women who have a perverse fascination with dangerous men. But don't pretend it's a GOOD book in an objective sense. Or it's about love. It's about an abusive relationship and a girl who's incapable of maturing beyond the mental age of 16 if she thinks that's an appropriate relationship.

You want a good vampire book? Robin McKinley's "Sunshine" is the best I've ever read, and I have read more vampire books than most people (except probably my professor who taught the course I took in vampires in Eastern European Folklore and American Popular Culture, though I bet I've read more pop-culture than he has. He almost certainly has me beat on folkloric!)

Please. Use Twilight as a gateway drug if you must but find something better if you want to read about vampires. That would be almost anything including Anne Rice (and I find the Vampire Chronicles underwhelming at best.)
Will you marry me? Please?
DragonDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2009, 01:54 PM   #35
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Bats, if you don't like violence, then whatever you do, don't read "Breaking Dawn." The part where Edward physically tears their offspring out of Bella's womb (after said baby snaps Bella's spine in the process of its accelerated development) is way into Saw IV territory.
Old Sep 2 2009, 02:30 PM   #36
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King

I've read them. I needed mindless reading material for substitute teaching. They are okay. Not as good as Pern or Harry Potter, though
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2009, 10:33 PM   #37
bats

Thanks Anareth I won't read it haven't got over Bambi's mum cried for
weeks by the way how about the Guy who plays Jacob he doesn't turn bad
does he I would be poorly upset he is such a Huba-Huba
tell you a secret ,Boba Fett is my Dream Man
Lanen good write-up ,,it is light reading bit of fresh air,,but by the sounds of
it I don't think I'll read futher than Twilight
Bats
Old Sep 3 2009, 12:29 AM   #38
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

No, he just "imprints" on their infant daughter so we all know what's happening THERE when she matures. Which will be in about seven years.

I liked Boba Fett until the prequels. Thanks, George. Getting to laugh hysterically at Anakin ON FIRE did not make up for that. (Though Jar-Jar Binks being partially responsible for the downfall of the Republic went a long way towards making up for it.)

I don't care if people enjoy crap, just as long as they acknowledge it's mindless crap that they're just reading because they haven't quite sunk to Harlequins yet. I sometimes like watching old after-school cartoons (which, now that I think of it, in many cases have more intelligent plots than "Twilight.") I could find ten young adult books in under ten minutes that are better written with more interesting characters. "Twilight" is like those garbage books by RL Stine that were all the rage when I was in high school, only with more graphic violence out of left field in the last one. The fact that it SELLS is rather disturbing, but when one looks at the Twimoms and the screaming fangirls...well, I'd like the money, but not if THAT is my audience.

Of course Catherine and Heathcliff aren't role models--the whole POINT of the book is they are hideous, terrible people who bring destruction on themselves and everyone around them. (Stephenie Meyer apparently doesn't understand this, but then she probably thought Mr. Rochester getting blinded was terribly unfair, too.) In Twilight we're supposed to LIKE these people, when Bella is the average teen twat and never outgrows it, and Edward is a stalker creep and perpetually a teenage boy to boot, which should be a capital offense in and of itself. The biggest crime is Meyer can obviously come up with interesting characters--Carlisle's backstory is the most interesting part of Twilight even if it's presenting in an amateur-hour infodump, and despite having read the first book KNOWING what a pile of crap it was and having read Cleolinda's recaps, I kept expecting Alice's mysterious backstory to be...you know, important! Yet we get a "heroine" who's so completely useless she's not even conscious for the denouement.

Again, if people use it as a gateway drug to real books (by which I DON'T mean the current plague of urban fantasy self-insert fantasies for grownups involving vampires, fairies, werewolves, or whatever the author's personal kink is), well and good. But people are getting hung up on thinking these are actually well-written books (don't believe me? Check out the Twifans in their message board habitats.) That's like thinking The Baby-Sitters Club is the be-all and end-all of serial fiction.

I mean, yeesh, at least find better YA fantasy--Susan Cooper. Diane Duane. Heck, John Bellairs is aimed a tad younger but it's a good gateway for medieval and Biblical history. If you want a cheap-thrill romance novel, pick up a Harlequin.

Dan Brown (I admit in advance, I've only read "The DaVinci Code" but am given to understand that means I've pretty much read all his other books, too) I can at LEAST see requires a larger vocabulary and some rudimentary enjoyment of rudimentary puzzle-solving. It's not remotely deep, especially if you've read "The Murdered Magicians" or any other book on the Templars and the Grail myth, but you at least need a sixth-grade vocabulary to read it. In common with Twilight, though, it does have much Unintentional Hilarity.

The only thing they really teach us is that you'll never get poor underestimating the average consumer. I suppose watching TV should have clued me in (except I never watch the networks) but I hold books to a higher standard. If I want crap, I can get it free on-line.
Old Sep 6 2009, 06:06 PM   #39
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

oh dear... where do i start?

i don't mean to offend any uber fans here, but i felt it was rather poorly written. i read all four books before all the sudden hype. From then on it seemed that the books were EVERYWHERE, and EVERY conversation mentioned 'Cullen', i really wanted some ear plugs, and i got the typical why-are-you-not-obsessed look. I annoyed many people whislt watching the film by laughing during the dramatic sad scene when something amusing was happening in the background.
I found it angsty and gushy, BUT confess that i did read all four as for all the faults and issues i have with it, it did grip me.
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2009, 01:50 AM   #40
Corinth
Darbul

Fan of: The Harperhall Trilogy
Now Reading: All the Weyrs of Pern

I found the books moderately enjoyable. I liked the first one best because I don't think it was quite so angsty as the second or third, and the fourth just wasn't very well written. I know that they aren't well written and there are plot holes and contrivances clear as day. There was some entertainment value to them, though. If nothing else, they made me laugh a lot. I don't get as worked up as most other teenage girls seem to. Most seem to either love it or hate it. For me it's a 'meh'.
Corinth is offline   Reply With Quote