A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Oct 13 2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default A sad collector's experience...uh, make that a happy one

Ever since I had access to the world wide web, and more specifically eBay, and owned a copy of Hargreaves "Forty Years of Publishing" I have coveted two Polish magazines. My wnt for them even predates my decision to collect all possible publications of Pern short stories. I don't know why they appealed to me so much, they just did and do. The two small black & white thumbnails on page 196 of Hargreaves only added to their mysticism. I am talking of the two issues of Fantastyka that together hold an unauthorized pulication of Dragonflight (maybe that's it, I've always had a weak spot for illegal and unauthorized Anne McCaffrey publications).
Why Hargreaves has them don as being in Serbo-croatian I don't know but for magazines published in Warsaw, Poland in Augst and September 1984 respectively (what Hargreaves correctly gives) is is obvious they are in Polish!
Special about these magazines is that the pages holding the Dragonflight text are designed to be removed and folded in half like a small booklet.

Anyway, after years of searching I finally found a second hand bookshop in the Polish city of Lodz who had them. I was elated and gladly paid the few dollars for the magazines and their postage to me. Books and magazines are cheap in Poland, where the salaries and cost of things is about one fifth of what they cost in the richer countries of the European Union (that will change oevr time, especially after poland also gets the Euro).

I received the magazines and they looked wonderful, especially for their age:

But when I opened them...

It turned out that someone had done exactly what Hargreaves describes should or can be done with the inner pages: they had taken them out.
The magazines are interesting and both seem to be special "Dragon issues", containing dragon stories, a couple even by well known authors and there are some nice articles I can't read, one of them about the World SF convention in Brighton 1984 with a picture with a very yong Harry Harrison, whom I had the pleasure to meet and chat with extensively at Eurocon 2007.
However, despite the fact they cost only about $1.50 each, the magazines were now worthless to me. Their heart, the Anne Mccaffrey story, "ripped" out of them...
I keep them for my collection of cover art. But I will need to resume my search for them.

The people at Tani Antiquariat were wonderful. The things were so cheap and their service so nice that I certainly didn't want to be too harsh with them for not checking if they were complete. After all, I had asked for the Fantastyka magazines of August and September 1984 and myself had not specified that the "Jezdczy Smokow" pages should be in there. Only when you leaf through it and look at the page numbers you see and realise there are many pages missing. Anna of the bookshop were obviously horrified and, without me asking for it, located the actual book Jezdczy Smokow (Dragonflight) on a Polish eBay-like site, bought it and asked if they could make up with that and if I wanted the book instead. I hadn't the heart to explain it wouldn't be the same but accepted their kind offer and insisted to pay the postage costs for it to be sent to me and implored them to please be on the lookout for complete issues of the Fantastyka magazine.

So a happy and sad experience at the same time. And a very good experience with a Polish second hand bookseller who also sells on eBay!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 04:02 PM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: A sad collector's experience

Oh no!
I suppose it is something that you'd have to know about to know they were missing
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Sandi

Well, it's a shame the pull-out had been pulled out but you did make a connection that may prove useful in future, not to mention verifying that Anne is loved in Poland too!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 10:50 PM   #4
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I am sorry you did not get what you wanted.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2008, 12:04 AM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I am glad to see that you at least have the covers, and interesting at that, and that they are in excellent condition. Perhaps soon you will be able to find the whole magazine, and in the condition that the cover of these are in. You do have some very interesting collection adventures as well as the books.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2008, 01:04 AM   #6
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Poor Hans, at least even if it's only for the cover art and knowing it's still out there!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2008, 01:58 AM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

That's so sad that the pull outs were actually pulled out, but then if that's what was intended, then it could be a long hunt for the complete magazines. Good luck with your search! I hope you find complete copies soon!
Old Oct 14 2008, 02:44 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Poland is one of the countries with the most translations, Sandi! Together with Germany, France and Italy

Yes, I'm glad for the covers too (since I do collect cover art and the pics in Hargreaves are small and black and white) but since this first search took about 5-6 years I'm not expecting to find them (again) soon

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 15 2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well at least you have the cover art to enjoy while you continue looking for the whole magazines. Good Luck my friend

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Oct 17 2008, 10:54 AM   #10
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the magazines, but like someone said further up at least you have made a connection that may prove to be worthwhile in the future. Hope you find the complete ones.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16 2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: A sad collector's experience...uh, make that a happy one

Right, how procrastinating can one be... We can actually turn this sad collectors experience, which I wrote about in 2008!, into a happy one. And I utter that wonderful word: procrastinating because I have been for sure.

A month after acquiring the two Fantastyka magazines I got an email from the Polish seller... and... wait for it...

THEY HAD FOUND THE PAGES / BOOKLET THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN WITH THE ORIGINAL MAGAZINES

And... they offered them for free because of the fact I sent them the whole story about why I had wanted those two magazines so badly and why I had been so disappointed. At the time they apoligised and offered a refund but I thought at the time I couldn't fault them, I could have inquired and asked and the whole transaction involved such a small amount if money I would have been ashamed to accept the refund after they had sent me the magazines.

Well, maybe that good deed paid off, I don't know. But they asked: Did I still want the booklet. YES, YES, YES, please, I wants!

So After a week or so I received the coveted trinket, the collectors item I searched for since I knew of its existence. It's a little damaged at the bottom of the spine and definitely has general wear but it looks great to me. The man or woman who toke the pages out of the magazines (which are twice the size of the booklet, which is A5 or about half of a letter sized paper) did so with care, cut the pages to half their size and took the trouble to bind themby threading a red thread through the spine to hold the pages together as a little booklet. Wonderful. It's the cheapest of cheapest quality paper and of course the dragon does not look Pernese at all but it deserved a special place in my collection, especially because it is one of those items that has a nice and wonderful story to go with it.

Why I never told you this earlier, I don't know but I hope to have time to tap into a backlog of acquitistions and maybe even write a Colelctors Highlight or two in the future and this eemed a good beginning

Cover of the little magazine

Magazine folded open (sorry for the photo quality)

First page, with inlying receipt

Old Nov 16 2012, 12:47 PM   #12
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Lovely find, and what fantastic service!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16 2012, 05:08 PM   #13
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

Good things come to he who waits! I remember when I read the original post , thinking what a shame the middle had been pulled out. But now to have the complete set, even if a little worn, is fantastic. Good for you Hans!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16 2012, 10:57 PM   #14
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Wery nice finds. I do have to wonder why someone would want to go between wearing that little.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16 2012, 11:36 PM   #15
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

I love it when sellers are nice about things and not "NO RETURNS!". Gives me faith in humanity.
Old Nov 17 2012, 12:07 AM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

CONGRATULAIONS Hans...What a fantastic end to your original treasure hunting
story. The little book looks very good actually to me...especially
for all that it's gone through.

I'm thrilled to hear that you're going to be showing some more of
your McCaffrey book collection, as well as doing another *HIGHLIGHT*, I have always
enjoyed reading those interesting articles...and saving them into my
own collection.

Old Nov 17 2012, 11:20 AM   #17
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

The black-and-white internal illustration looks like it's inspired by the works of William Blake.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

A fantastic, surprise happy ending to your tale! Congratulations friend!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote