A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats

View Poll Results: Do you have a talent?
Telepath 7 14.58%
Telekinesis 1 2.08%
Teleportation 0 0%
Empath 24 50.00%
Precoq 18 37.50%
Healer 3 6.25%
Linguist 3 6.25%
Tech wizard 3 6.25%
Enough to get by 9 18.75%
None at all 10 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 9 2009, 06:17 PM   #81
Danel
Journeyman

Fan of: Harperhall Trilogy
Now Reading: The Crown by Deborah Chester
Default Re: Any real talents in here?

My talents are mundane, Pun's, Music, Logic, and Abstract Designs are my fortays.

As too Talents as disscussed here, I'll reserve any opions on them untill someone devises some sound scientific tests for them. (which means they could be proven, or disproven by results)

There was one scientist (named Randy, see Win Randy's Million) that for a while was offering 1 million dollars for any person willing to undergo a set of scientfic based testing of Phsyonic abilities.

Unfortuantely he only attracted the celebrity crack pot types, and either they consistantly renegged due to the conditions of the tests (Which he had them involed in the design of from the get go) or they inveribly failed thier own testing parameters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly conviced that Humans have some very deeply imbeded instincs, that are not learned behaviors. However trying to research them scientifically is a bit of a challange, when the parameters of the subject have nothign physical to research.

Research of Ball Lighting has the same problem. They don't have any idea of what it is, so can't define tests for it. Nor can they say that lab made similar stuff is Ball Lightning or not.

Somethings just take a lot of time to figure out. Somethings may never be figured out.
Danel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2009, 01:21 PM   #82
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Danel, I agree that it would be nice if anyone could find a scientific proof of the actual incidents.

For me incidents happen according to need, infrequently, better with family members, cannot always be forced on the spot, better in electromagnetic fields, in danger ..... The thing is that without knowing about talents and that others have incidents you can freak out and think you are going crazy when getting an incident. If you remain calm and train, you can figure out the meaning or purpose.

As you used the word instincts, I was prompted to go into definition mode in order to find out what we are talking about:

Quote:
Instinct:
1. An inborn pattern of behavior that is characteristic of a species and is often a response to specific environmental stimuli: the spawning instinct in salmon; altruistic instincts in social animals.
2. A powerful motivation or impulse.
3. An innate capability or aptitude: an instinct for tact and diplomacy.
4: A largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason
b: behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level

Intuition:
1. a. The act or faculty of knowing or sensing without the use of rational processes; immediate cognition.
b. Knowledge gained by the use of this faculty; a perceptive insight.
2. A sense of something not evident or deducible; an impression.

Incidents:
1. A definite and separate occurrence; an event.
2. A usually minor event or condition that is subordinate to another.
3. Something contingent on or related to something else.
4. An occurrence or event that interrupts normal procedure or precipitates a crisis

Reason:
1. The basis or motive for an action, decision, or conviction.
2. A declaration made to explain or justify action, decision, or conviction
3. An underlying fact or cause that provides logical sense for a premise or occurrence.
4. The capacity for logical, rational, and analytic thought; intelligence.
5. Good judgment; sound sense.
6. A normal mental state; sanity: He has lost his reason.
7. Logic A premise, usually the minor premise, of an argument.

Ability:
1 a: the quality or state of being able; especially : physical, mental, or legal power to perform
b: competence in doing : skill
2: natural aptitude or acquired proficiency
To me the definition is important too.

REASON is often used in scientific language reaching why, how and when.
INSTINCT is the opposite of REASON in simple language

When INTUITION was explained to me as "the ability to quickly see the large picture using very few informations", I sighed with relief. Mother's intuition comes in here - a quick reaction saves the children. My son gave me a fridge magnet with the inscription "Some mothers have intuition, mine has RADAR!"

This brings me to INCIDENTS and ABILITY, e.g. sudden knowlegde, instant communication and contact, clear dreams, precognitive incidents.... etc. ABILITY comes in when the person in question can actually use, navigate in or force incidents. Incident and Ability is Talent in my opinion. However, intuition, incidents and ability might blend.

These were my thoughts, and thus in the nature of the above, it will be scientifically difficult to prove, unless some machine accidentally finds out and reads incidents like the one in Anne's books.

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16 2009, 11:36 AM   #83
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

A very interesting topic you are engaging in. I thought perhaps that some of you may find this interesting:

YouTube - "Science and the taboo of psi" with Dean Radin

He talks about some very fascinating tendencies that humans have with being almost "indoctrinated" with the current scientific model.

I hope some of you find something of interest in his talk.

Psi-entifically yours,

Maximillian
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17 2009, 08:35 PM   #84
Nina
Talent

Finder

Hi Maximillian,

Dean Radin's talk is right on the spot regarding this. Thank you for posting the link, Maximillian

I especially like Dean Radin's graphs approx. 12 min and 17 min into his talk. It was somewhat along that I was trying to say - less scientifically of course and much more according to my own experience and beliefs.

I thought it was remarkable that everyone can show that "something interesting is going on" for 130 years, but still no one can explain why or how or even form a theory on it. And also the taboo of science

Some day in the future our little discussions here will be very funny to look at - like looking back on the time when everyone believed the earth was flat - how stupid they were "of course it is round".

Psi-entifically yours back to you, Maximillian

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Old Mar 26 2009, 02:06 PM   #85
draconichybrid
Ssli

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads

[quasi-off-topic]
Ian Malcom's rant in Jurrassic Park touches on this, Nina. :P
Catching up on reading topics, Jurassic Park's anti-science rant came to mind.... *shrug*
[/quasi-off-topic]
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2009, 03:09 AM   #86
eann
Firestone

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct

I've had a few incidents--rather random. There were two instances I remember when I seemed to link dreams with my father (now deceased), while he was in Kansas City grieving over the death of a friend's grandson and I was in Alaska with a dead truck and phone and frantic with worry over some of the scary dream images, not realizing they were coming from him but causing me to fear for him so much I walked in the cold and snow to a friend's house to phone and see if anything was really wrong.
The other very vivid experiences seemed to be the result of the place where I was--Second Mesa in Hopiland. My ex husband and I heard footsteps on the roof when there was no one there, and later I had some very strange dreams about the place that my Hopi friend took very seriously indeed.
eann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2009, 01:54 PM   #87
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

That's fascinating, Annie. Gosh. What did your Hopi pal say about your dreams?

Strongest I ever had was in Killiecrankie, in Scotland. I dreamt, far more vividly than usual, that I was being strangled. My face had become a blank mask and someone was trying to choke me. I woke terrified, and an hour in the bright sunshine didn't dispell it. I found out days later that there had been a massacre in that valley, and that the women and children were indeed strangled in their beds.

The other really strong one still tears at me to think of - the last time I saw my mother alive. I was leaving by plane, and she defied all the security stuff and came to the departure lounge. No real reason, we had parted many times, but that time we were both crying like crazy and I clung to her with all my might. We were both in a terrible state. She handed me a note and said goodbye, because they were closing the doors of the plane. I could only read the note much later, when I stopped crying. It just said 'Love, Mother". Four months later she was killed in a car crash. I don't know how we knew, but we seem to have done.
Old Mar 27 2009, 11:40 PM   #88
eann
Firestone

Well, Elizabeth, I actually forgot to mention the time I stayed at your house and slept in your bed while you were in your office and your dragon dream got into my head instead of yours.
I can't go into the thing my Hopi friend said here cause it's kinda tied up with their religion and they're very private about that.
Old Mar 28 2009, 01:20 AM   #89
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

(hugs Lanen tight)
Old Mar 28 2009, 02:56 PM   #90
Nina
Talent

Finder

Lanen's story leads me to a question.

When we sense things which are going to happen in the future, it is precognition.

When we sense things, imprints and trauma from the past, what is this called??? Pastcognition ??

I have some vivid images and frights when passing old secret (as opposed to publicly known) places of executions or murders. In Denmark we have several places where the Germans took people for quick executions at night during WWII. One of the places is near where I live, and I really have trouble passing it at night, even by car.

Once I was walking with a boyfriend in a city park overlooked by buildings. At one place in the park I got really scarred and started running to the annoyance of my boyfriend. Running was not prober behaviour in his opinion (he was not my boyfriend for long ). I was shaking with fear and later I realised that it was the one point in the park where nobody could see anything from any building. I was also told afterwards that several women had been found murdered there. Chills!!!

Well, we could make a whole book out of our individual experiences.

Old Mar 29 2009, 04:09 AM   #91
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I tend to feel excessively uncomfortable in old churches, e.g. churches that were built before the Reformation and consecrated Catholic. To the point that I want to leave the place ASAP. I don't have a problem visiting other, newer churches, even though I'm not a believer and participating in religious ceremonies such as weddings, christenings and funerals isn't the most comfortable experience for me either.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29 2009, 12:14 PM   #92
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I've refused to buy a house that gave me the heebies.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29 2009, 07:24 PM   #93
eann
Firestone

God, Nina, that must be very upsetting for you. There are certainly places I can't wait to get out of too. I think the researchers who say there are psychic imprints from past events are right.
Old Mar 30 2009, 01:42 PM   #94
Nina
Talent

Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eann View Post
God, Nina, that must be very upsetting for you. There are certainly places I can't wait to get out of too. I think the researchers who say there are psychic imprints from past events are right.
Yes, it is a bit annoying to be sensitive to psychic imprints whether it is places or objects. My reactions do not always go down well with other people

Once my husband came home with a used gift from a lady at work, and I reacted to the imprint and told him that I could not have it in our house. What a "discussion"! I finally told him that if he wished to keep it, he would have to keep it at work. He agreed as he liked it very much and that was that. A couple of weeks later I had to ask him whether he still had it at home as I still sensed it. And yes, he had hidden it away at home I was not very popular to put it mildly.

So very often I try to hide my reaction and I am qetting better at that

Old Mar 30 2009, 04:52 PM   #95
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I know I can't go anywhere near Stonehenge

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30 2009, 07:47 PM   #96
eann
Firestone

Me neither, P'ter, but that's mainly cause I live on the other side of the ocean.
Old Mar 30 2009, 11:16 PM   #97
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

(hugs Nina) The incident in the park is an instant of retrocognition/postcognition. Not an enviable gift, that.

Sensing the "imprint" of something would be psychometry; sensing the object in the house would be clairvoyance, "present sight".
Old Mar 31 2009, 01:03 AM   #98
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I know I can't go anywhere near Stonehenge
I'd like to try. One of the most relaxing places I've ever been at is walking between the druidic stones at Carnac in Brittany, although I frankly admit that the lovely sunset and balmy weather may have contributed some! I'm certain that I'd feel more comfortable near the druids than anything with a Catholic history. An English friend of mine who's Jewish and a former RE teacher can't go anywhere near Stonehenge either.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31 2009, 11:06 AM   #99
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

eann - of course, I shouldn't have asked. I knew the Hopi were very private. Sorry.

P'ter - I don't mind Stonehenge, I think because over the years so many people unconnected with whatever happened there have wandered about - but if you don't like THAT, keep far away from Castlerigg stone circle in Cumbria. It's horrific. The day I was there with another sensitive pal from America, it looked/felt like broken teeth and neither of us could stand to walk around it, which we had been doing to all the other stone circles. Apart from Long Meg and her Daughters, which is a WONDERFUL place! Off in the countryside, with a road through it (!), it is still a light and fun place to visit. Oh, the story possibilities are practically endless!
Old Mar 31 2009, 01:59 PM   #100
Nina
Talent

Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eann View Post
Me neither, P'ter, but that's mainly cause I live on the other side of the ocean.

Old Dec 18 2010, 04:03 PM   #101
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: Any real talents in here?

I've got a friend who pick up negtive feeling from other, or so she was telling me the other day, she is also a fan of Pern and many other books.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2011, 01:39 PM   #102
Cygnus
Darbul

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched

Minor TK abilities here, seems like i'm the only one with that. I once made a pencil float in midair for about a minute, but afterwards i couldn't make it happen again, and the same feeling hasn't happened to me since. Annoys me sometimes, but what can you do?

Also have empathy for people that are not my own age...dont know why, but i seem to be able to do just the right thing with people older than me or younger than me more often than not. Might not be real empathy, however.
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23 2011, 12:10 PM   #103
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Cygnus, that could be a simple case of "the centipede's dilemma"; that is, spoiling something natural by stopping to think about how it works. The idea comes from an old folk tale about how a centipede was asked how he managed all his legs so easily. Once he thought about it, he stopped being able to do it.

Something similar happened to me; I was drawing with a very short pencil, and both my twin and my mom asked how I could hold such a short thing. I stopped to think about it, said "I just can," and then promptly couldn't grip it properly. XD

Point is, I forgot about the conversation until now, and I can hold the short pencil without trouble again. (I probably jinxed it, but we'll see. XD) So maybe one day when you're just chilling and not thinking about much, you'll be able to levitate things again.
Old Apr 23 2011, 12:15 PM   #104
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

i'm the opisite of telekenetic, I can knock things over without touching them...
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2013, 10:25 PM   #105
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I have a feeling my adoptive mom might be a little psychic. She recently revealed to me that she has correctly been able to guess children's conception dates and sexes before they were born for a long time. Normally I'd say that's just her OB/GYN training talking, but she knew my twin was pregnant for the third time before my twin told her late last month.