A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > All the Rest

All the Rest One-offs, romances, fantasy novellas, short stories... If it's not in any of the above series - or it crosses the realms of multiple series - come discuss it here!

Old Nov 6 2006, 07:52 AM   #1
Mary

Default The prolific nature of Anne's writing

This struck me yesterday when I was pulling Anne's books from my bookshelf to do the McCaffrey Quest 2006. Hasn't Anne written co-authored such a lot of books. And still we look for more. Given that she didn't start commercial writing until she was in her 30's I am always amazed by the volumes of her work when it is all assembled in one place. And that fact that she still continues to write even in her 80's. I would have retired long since.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6 2006, 09:58 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: The prolific nature of Ann'e writing

I do agree, Clamball. What opened MY eyes particuarly was a (very special) booklet I came across at Anne's house when doing research there. It was made by Zyntropo (for the previous plans for a Dragonrider of Pern movie).

It listed some sales figures (mainly DRoP and only US and UK stuff)...

Despite my years of acquiantance with Anne's writing and the author herself I though: HUH, tens of millions? I never actually thought of that, not even after when I started to work on her bibliography...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6 2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Sandi

Default Re: The prolific nature of Ann'e writing

"I am amazed and know not what to say!" Well, yes I do. Anne's an international treasure!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2007, 10:15 PM   #4
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Default Re: The prolific nature of Anne's writing

I noticed for an author to survive long term, you have to either be REALLY DARN GOOD, or prolific. Anne seems to be covering both bases. New books coming out, even if they're not the best, spur sales of earlier books that are classics, and if you're lucky enough of an author to make a world such as Pern (Or Darkover or Valdemar, etc) the readers will want more and more and more, and demand for your books is always a good thing.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2007, 01:35 AM   #5
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on
Default Re: The prolific nature of Anne's writing

True an author has to make their fans want more. I know that with Nora Roberts' website if you go to about nora and look under funfacts it tells you how many of her book have been printed.

Last edited by Topaz the Golden; Aug 18 2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote