A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Feb 27 2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Verse of Pern

I received an email as follows:
i would like to find the complete poems. all i can find are the snippets at the beginning of each chapter. the fire lizard song seems so beautiful but i can't seem to catch the fullness. Moreta's ride Brekke's song, all so good yet i cannot find them.
Please help me to find these, if there is a book of these poems. I would like to have it.
Thank you
I know that Anne never published a compendium of verse, but some books have a more complete listing than others (Dragonsong and Dragonsinger?). Also the two music cds by Tonia Opland and Mike Freeman probably are good sources, but mine is too far buried to verify that lyrics were included. So, I'm turning this over to the hive mind to help answer!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2017, 05:40 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Verse of Pern

Tania & Mike certainly used the complete poems (although they added to one or two with Anne's permission/help)

Sunset's Gold C.D. contains 'Song for Petiron'; 'Sweet Sea'; 'Gather Day' (with some extra words by Mike); 'The Little Queen' (Firelizard Song); 'Sunset's Gold'; 'Brekke's Cry' (with some extra words by Tania); 'Menolly's Running Song' (with some extra words by Tania); and 'Four Hundred Turns' (one that Anne didn't put in the books).

The Masterharper of Pern C.D. contains 'Duty Song'; 'The Golden Egg of Faranth'; 'Fighting Thread'; 'The Question Song'; 'Red Star Passes'; 'Lessa's Ride' (with some extra words by Mike); 'March of the Wings'.

In neither case do the sleeve notes give the lyrics.

It would be quite fun, though time consuming, to go through the CDs and hammer out an anthology; but I couldn't start it till Easter Vacs.

An email to Tania and Mike might produce something (I know they did a music book of one of them, I forget which) and they must have the complete lyrics.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28 2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Khricket
Muskie

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: The Legend of Broken

I seem to remember the full lyrics of the Question Song being in the books, but they aren't really accessable right now.
Khricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1 2017, 09:55 AM   #4
Daccio
Crafter

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Two Georges

From the website of the musicians:

Lyrics from the CD Masterharper of Pern:
http://www.opland-freeman.com/harperhall/mhlyr.htm

Lyrics from the CD Sunset's Gold:
http://www.opland-freeman.com/harperhall/sglyr.htm
Daccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Eriflor

I bought the Masterharper of Pern CD years ago, and the songbook with the music and words to all the songs. The music fits the words beautifully, and I've played "Nonsuch" with my choir as a duet with another recorder-player.

I didn't know there was another CD (Sunset's Gold). Might as well add it to my next book-order from Amazon!

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

I've published all poems that appear in the book on my website: http://www.pern.nl/archives/pernpoetry.htm
And all the entries are annotated.

Then again, there are several folksy things with text to the songs, text approved by Anne that is. Tania Opland and Mike Freeman's are the latest and IMHO the best of all interpretations and compositions.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2017, 09:33 AM   #7
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

I've also seen the songs on facebook.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2017, 09:35 AM   #8
vyon

u-tube - my computer timed out on the edit tab.
Old May 21 2017, 12:45 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

If you mean You Tube you probably mean the Pern songs by Tania Opland and Mike Freeman (approved by Anne herself). Some of them are interpretations of verse from the books, sometimes extended with new stuff. There's also songs composed by Mike and Tania themselves.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2017, 07:24 AM   #10
vyon

Those were the ones. I think I listened to about three of them before they all started to sound the same. Then I ran out of computer time.