A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Feb 16 2016, 06:06 AM   #1
klusty73
Muskie

Fan of: Pern and Tower & Hive
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Weyr Leader and Green Rider

Have always been curious as to how a Bronze rider and Weyr Leader (T'gellan) could have a Green rider (Mirriam) as his mate. Was she just agreeable to him mating with someone else when the Golden Queen and Weyr Woman challenged Bronzes for mating and leadership?
klusty73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16 2016, 05:07 PM   #2
Lily

Default Re: Weyr Leader and Green Rider

I've wondered that too. She probably accepted it. And who flew her green? Be funny if her green (forgotten it's name) should rise at the same time as the gold weyrwoman's
Old Feb 17 2016, 01:20 AM   #3
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Yeah, T'gellan and his bronze couldn't be in two places at once... hehe. I'd be surprised if that situation wasn't already written up in someone's fanfiction.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2016, 08:40 PM   #4
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Well when they first open the Weyr he was name Weyrleader, of 'Eastern Weyr' / Monaco Bay Weyr didn't come till later. Also in the Meeting of Weyrleaders at Cove Hold he there with both of them, and at the Council Meeting, two of the Weyrwomen don't attended book is not to hand. Nadira and Talina were two that rarely attend this meeting according to Lessa in Skies of Pern.

My dang learning disabilities, on how to say/write/spell is making harder to get my point across. I have read/listen to it so much that had to get an replacement via http://www.audible.com/
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Feb 17 2016 at 09:41 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2016, 02:18 PM   #5
pearldiver
Hiver

Fan of: Freedom's Landing

Mirrim's weyrbred. Why would she try to insist on monogamy when dragons are involved? She was raised with the (healthy) expectation that your romantic relationships and the needs of your dragon are two different things, and the dragon comes first.

As long as the Weyrwoman doesn't try to horn in on Mirrim's private time with T'gellan, I imagine the two women get along well. The Weyrwoman probably has her own man, herself.

Honestly, that's the kind of relationship we're told over and over dragonriders are supposed to have, despite the narrative often focusing on the supposedly-rare monogamous romances like Lessa/F'lar or Tai/F'lessan. The typical Weyr romance involves people like Mirrim, who isn't stupid enough to be jealous of her lover's bronze, and Moreta, who maintains a professional relationship with her Weyrleader while taking lovers who are more to her taste.
pearldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Eriflor

I think the name 'Eastern Weyr' was just a placeholder till they decided to call it Monaco Weyr. They didn't know the names of the original settlements till they unearthed the AIVAS building. The maps they found in the ships were probably views from space.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I agree with pearldiver--if Path decided to rise when it wasn't convenient for T'gellan to be there, that's just the way it goes in the Weyr. As for the Weyrwoman, if T'gellan wins, great, if not, oh, well, new Weyrleader. She has nothing to lose. I would think if anything it's in Mirrim's best interest to want T'gellan Weyrleader, as any authority she has is entirely because she's his weyrmate and he lets her get away with it since green riders basically have no rank other than 'dragonrider.'
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote