A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Oct 8 2015, 10:53 PM   #1
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Comfort Books?

So I am a nervous wreck on airplanes (as in reduced to tears at times.) So when I had to fly this week (and for reference, I have never had a checkpoint with a full-body scanner, they didn't have them the last time I was on an airplane) I wanted to distract myself. I hate messing with my laptop on a plane with the teeny tray table, so I decided to bring books I knew already I would enjoy to read during the flight and I went straight for Pern. I grabbed "Moreta" and "Dragonseye." Moreta is my go-to Pern, I think. I read that first, including at the worst part for me (takeoff). I don't think I can possibly read it too many times. If you had to pick a Pern book for a situation where you knew you needed comfort reading, which one would it be?
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8 2015, 11:27 PM   #2
Eriflor

Default Re: Comfort Books?

Probably DragonsDawn. I've read it over and over, and there are so many details that you don't notice in any single reading, which throw a new light on things that happen in the later stories.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9 2015, 08:05 PM   #3
pearldiver
Hiver

Fan of: Freedom's Landing

Dragonsdawn here, too. I really enjoy the sci-fi aspects of Pern, and seeing how things started, knowing what they evolve to be.

And, okay. I like imagining myself as one of the first dragonriders best of all. 'cause, you know. Let's not pretend I'm grown up inside.
pearldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2015, 01:12 PM   #4
Eriflor

Not so much comfort books, but either Masterharper of Pern or Renegades of Pern could take your mind off the flight by the mental exercise of figuring out how the timelines and "facts" diverge from all the books written before them.
Old Oct 10 2015, 07:19 PM   #5
pearldiver
Hiver

Fan of: Freedom's Landing

Simple. Masterharper is a story being told by Robinton when he's deep in his cups, about the recent history of Pern starring Robinton! And Renegades is Aramina talking fast to explain herself to Lessa after the fact. Hence the rather fluid approach to time and facts in both stories.

It all makes sense if you assume drunks and desperate liars
pearldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Eriflor

I was thinking more of Toric, who wasn't mentioned as being part of the group who went back in time at Southern with Ramoth's first clutch, and then (in Renegades) had apparently been with them from the start. It's my contention that the only people T'bor and F'nor took South were the young dragons and their riders, and the 32 candidates for Pridith's first clutch. Most of the 32 candidates came from craft and hold and would have been able to do most of the maintenance work and farming until they Impressed. If they took any extra people, maybe a few (weyrbred) teenage girls would have been welcome (in case there was a gold egg at some point) --- but not extra men.

The Aramina/Jayge/Thella story mostly fits into the main sequence. My only quibble would be the fact that Dowell and Barla fled from Ruatha 12 turns before Thread and then travelled the continent for 19 turns, suffering major hardship, when a simple drum message to Cousin Lessa would have seen them back in their family hold long before Thella caught onto them.

MHoP: Sebell is apprenticed several turns before Fax is killed. Nine turns later, he's "just walked the tables" (DragonSinger).
Old Oct 11 2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Brenda

Is there ANY canon example you can give of Master Robinton being ACTUALLY drunk and not just shamming to get someone else drunk or talking or whatever? (Being poisoned in AtWoP does not count.)

Don't get me started on MHoP. I only consider certain individual bits of it to be canon - his relationships with Kasia and Silvina, for example.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2015, 07:33 PM   #8
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
Not so much comfort books, but either Masterharper of Pern or Renegades of Pern could take your mind off the flight by the mental exercise of figuring out how the timelines and "facts" diverge from all the books written before them.
No, I don't want to end up with them having to divert the flight because of an enraged irrational passenger (me.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2015, 06:56 AM   #9
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Moreta's my favorite Pern book too, it's also the first book by Anne that I ever read. So that's the one I pick up when I need to take my mind off unpleasant things (such as going in for a root canal job or visiting the gynecologist).
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2015, 07:43 AM   #10
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

If I'm flying I take a book along that I pick up at a book store by an author I don't know. That way when I'm done with it I can just leave it and not have to continue carrying it around. If I had to choose one of Anne's stories to read again it would be No One Noticed The Cat. Short and a nice twist to the end. Plus, like Anne, I love cats!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2015, 02:59 PM   #11
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Try "The Number 2 Feline Detective Agency" by Mandy Morton!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2015, 03:15 PM   #12
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thanks. I just put it on my Nook.
Old Oct 18 2015, 04:03 PM   #13
Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Try "The Number 2 Feline Detective Agency" by Mandy Morton!
Now that sounds interesting. I immediately thought of "No.1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. I'll take anything by him.
Old Oct 18 2015, 04:48 PM   #14
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Absolutely love him, Lily! I'm eagerly waiting for the next book in the series to come out in a couple weeks.
Old Oct 18 2015, 04:54 PM   #15
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Mandy had McCall Smith's permission for the title; and he crops up in the book as a feline author called McClaw-Snitt.

She's got a sequel due out on the 23rd (in UK):- "Cat among the Pumpkins"

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18 2015, 10:22 PM   #16
Lily

Drat! My library does not have Mandy Morton. Another book from AMS?? I must keep my eyes on. My library is very obliging, I can order a book and they'll buy it in.
Old Oct 20 2015, 12:39 AM   #17
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

When I when to FL, I took the paperback that Dragongirl sent me The Dolphins of Pern. -- Temporary lost my player, about a month before and found after I got back. I had a copy of The dolphins of Pern DB44410 on it. I missed it during that trip, it would have making that trip much easier on us.

Dad told me a story about as a kid he kinda acted like he was in trouble and a pod of real life dolphins came and got him to shore, his mom about had a cow that trip.

I don't have a full show yet. Thanks to my dad I do have part of http://hlipizzans.com/index.htm And a few others shots. Want to put a slide show for a local group but don't have all I need yet.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2015, 03:45 AM   #18
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Hm, for Pern my comfort book would probably be Dragonsinger. (For all of AMC's works, Damia, maybe followed by The Ship Who Sang or Crystal Singer.) In Dragonsinger, I like to re-meet Domick and the other Masters at the Harper Hall again, and Robinton's always fascinating to "watch" in that book for his kindness alone.

Brenda - There's no canon reference for Robinton ACTUALLY being drunk that I'm aware of, but he does some damn good impersonations of it, such as immediately after Jaxom's Impression when he's "celebrating" with Lytol. (Although from your words you probably recall that!) Taken in the light-hearted spirit of the books, he's just a good actor. If you try to inject real-life or logic into it, he could be a high-functioning alcoholic.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2015, 11:44 AM   #19
Spock
Jewel Junk

Fan of: The Smallest Dragon Boy
Now Reading: DragonWriter

I recently read the entire Pern series all over again and can't say that any of them attract me as "Comfort Books". I usually read such books for enjoyment and to "escape" day-to-day frustrations.

A non-McCaffrey book that I recently started re-reading for the umpteenth time is The Flying Sorcerers by David Gerrold and Larry Niven. I really enjoy a good play on words and this book is just good fun.

[Added]
A useful website I just discovered from the above link is The Internet Speculative Fiction Database. It seems to have a fsirly extensive listing for Anne McCaffrey.
Old Oct 31 2015, 05:03 AM   #20
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman

Moreta, hands down. I brought it with me when I went through Basic, and along with The Horse Whisperer and my little pocket of Austen put all together [what? comfort books, yo], it's seen two deployments since.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31 2015, 07:07 AM   #21
Lily

Dragongirl! We havent seen you for a year. What have you been up to?

I'll pick up and read any of Anne's works for comfort reading. Or reading at any time, actually.