A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Nov 1 2012, 12:13 AM   #1
ederb
Muskie

Fan of: Pern
Default Pern Portfolio

Poster's Note: I had originally created a better story to introduce myself (rather what I thought was good). However, I decided to have "doubt" within myself and I spell checked my story. Consequently, that downloaded a spell check program resulting in a complete shut down of I.E. Explorer. Obviously my work was lost. Therefore you recieve this:

I was searching within my mother's attic, searching for anything that would help me. Loathing to find the one piece which would bring my family back, I caught a glimpse of light within the corner of my right eye. I made a sharp 90 degree turn while focusing in on a dusty stack of boxes. As I walked torwards the gleam of light receeding from the bottom box, a cobweb coated past my face. Using my hand I rapidly wiped my face, cobweb sticking to it. Stuttering, I knelt towards that box, picking it up and wiping off the dust. The light dimmed for just a second, then brightened brighter then any light known within the human race. Instantly a voice appears singing:

My nightly craft is winged in white;
A dragon of night-dark sea.
Swiftborn, dream-bound and rudderless;
Her captain and crew are me.

I sail a hundred sleeping tides
Where no seaman's ever been
And only my white-winged craft and I
Know the marvels that we have seen.

I awaken at once with my hands glued tightly to a manuscript. No knowing what I had, I stood up and proceeded into the light which was beaming faintly from a skylight above. The book read Pern Portfolio labeled June 1978 Vol. 1 No. 1. Within the back, focused a signature on top of "A Lady and Her Dragon" unknown to me. Could this be the thing I've been searching for? Could this finally be it?? Who will help me to discover what it is I've come across?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8955117...in/photostream
ederb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2012, 04:18 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Pern Portfolio

Ederb, do you want to know more about it or sell it? And welcome to the forum!

If the first, there is a collecting highlight on this collectors item you found: http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=3085
That article will tell you all you need to know.

If the second, you best put it on eBay (I think there's currently already one for sale, so you can use that price as guideline).

If you wanted just to show off, you succeeded The Pern Portfolio is quite rare and a great item to find in one's attic!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Congratulations on the find, it is a rare treasure of Pern indeed.

And welcome to MoM!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
ederb
Muskie

Fan of: Pern

I suppose I sort of posted it for a little bit of both. I'm new to Anne McCaffey's work and would like to know more. I knew I came across something pretty huge when I googled it. I have added to ebay, but I'm starting to wonder if I should just hold onto it. Obviously, my mother did for reasons unknown. I guess I need to dig deeper down the rabbit hole, and I'll know if it's something that interests me. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Cheers!
ederb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1 2012, 11:33 PM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Ederb...Just read one book...the first in the Pern Series, Dragonflight...rent it from your local library.

All of us here enjoy most all of Anne McCaffrey's books and stories and if that copy was your Mother's, and she took the time to get it signed, then I would say that it must have meant something to her...at least at the time.

Perhaps a further look in that attic of yours will turn up a book or too of Anne's, that your Mother also enjoyed...start there [IMO]...you might find you enjoy it as much as we do...or that your Mother did.

Good Luck...and come back and let us know how your hunting and investigating goes!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

What a way to find the Pern Portfolio! Thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 5 2012, 03:28 AM   #7
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Very nice

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

My Pern portfolio is a special part of my collection.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote