A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Apr 19 2006, 12:46 AM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default America 2040 Series by Evan Innes

This is a 5 book series that starts out just before the year 2040. It's SF that happens in our recent future not our distant future and it's very interesting, to me anyway. They can be hard to find tho, but worth it if you can find all 5.
Web site for this author is http://www.sff.net/people/hzachary/hughes.html
He writes as Zachary Hughes. The web page was last updated in 1998, so not sure what's up with him now. I heard he has passed away and so it may be so. Anyway, if you find these books give them a try.
Old Aug 30 2007, 01:40 PM   #2
silas10pony

Default Re: America 2040 Series by Evan Innes

I have these books..I found them fascinating. I recommend them to be read and collected for the future. The storyline was good. I found the author had great detail and imagination. I loved his ideas about the brain and robotics. He blended reality and scifi well in all 5 books. That impressed me because writing a series you would think you would lose focus at some point. In this series he never did lose his focus, and the series is excellent. I have searched diligently for more of his writing as Evan Innes and I have failed up to this point. However I have read him as Zach Hughes.
Old Sep 22 2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Silas - I too looked for more by or about him and only found that old web page. I've not read any Zachary Hughes books. (I'm horrible about trying other authors) I think in this case I can never remember his name and I don't write it down and put it in my purse.
What do you think of him as Hughes? As good as Innes?
Old Sep 7 2009, 11:46 PM   #4
goldmax60
Inactive

Fan of: The Rowen
Now Reading: Area 51 (first in series)

When I first read the America 2040 series the books were really hard to find. After a few months of searching the used book stores, I found them all and really enjoyed them. Five years later, I decided I wanted a complete set new so I could send them to San Val, south of St. Louis and have them converted to hardcover. They do paperbacks for use in libraries and guarantee them to survive 50 readings. I called BCI in New York to see where I could get new copies. After I told them that I wanted to have them hard bound, they sent me two new complete sets. I already had two used sets so I had all four bound. I gave one set to my friend who introduced me to them, gave one used set to a friend who was very ill (never got them back as she passed away), and have two sets left. While talking with the owner of BCI, I mentioned that when I read the set the second time, I noticed very different writing styles from chapter to chapter and asked him if Evan Innes was real or the concoction of writing teams. He said I was right, Evan Innes does not exist but that the series was the effort of a writing team. He said that Bantam sorted them to fiction instead of science fiction so they didn't get the exposure they deserved...ergo, poor sales. I still loved the series enough to call the editor of the Science Fiction Book club to see if they would have a look and maybe publish them. No luck but they are still a great read. Enjoy.
goldmax60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2011, 05:50 PM   #5
electraflier
Muskie

Fan of: Dragon Riders of Pern
Now Reading: Child Thief by Brom

Hugh Zachary is alive and well as are his alias Evan Innes!(He and his wife wrote as a team at times and under many pseudonyms) I first discovered him as Zach Hughes the author of The Stork Factor, (Berkley 1975) Many of his books are still available to those willing to look. I know sources but will not spoil as I like the hunt so many others might as well. He is a very kind and approachable gentleman who wrote some of the best scifi and fiction books I remember from my youth. He is also on facebook! I hope others find these books and the author as entertaining and memorable as I have!
Michael
electraflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

I have read this series 2 times in my life. Originally,when the books were first published. My Mom also read them at the same time and enjoyed them too. The second time was about two years ago when I saw the third book in the series at a half price bookstore, and decided to find the series again. Took me about 4 months to find all the book. I enjoyed the series as much the second time. It also brought back fun memories of my Mom who pasted away 5 years ago.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote