A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Astronomy

Astronomy For the sharing of astronomical observations by our members with an interest, and pretty pictures for all to enjoy.

Old Jun 5 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons
Default Venus

Happens next in a hundred years;

http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/webcasts/nasaedge/
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2012, 02:59 AM   #2
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Venus

I saw it very well eight years back, but today it was cloudy. Plus, there's a stonking big hill in the way of the sun at this time of the morning.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

I was driving. I glanced up at one point, but was afraid I might blind myself temporarily by looking too close so I gave up. Have seem some really nice pics, though. My sis in law had her eclipse glasses out and was watching it.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2012, 07:51 AM   #4
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

I got up at 3:30am and drove to a local vantage point with a view of the NE horizon, then waited for the sun to rise at 4:30am. The sun rose but I didn't see anything because we had our worst weather that same morning. I waited until 5:30am and then went home. I didn't get any pictures of Venus but did get some interesting photos of rain pouring down the car windscreen. Sigh.
Old Jun 8 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

No luck here either. I guess I'll just have to wait for about a century for a second chance.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2012, 10:08 AM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I think I saw a Venus transit back in 1950s, but it might have been a transit of Mercury.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23 2012, 11:53 AM   #7
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I think I saw a Venus transit back in 1950s, but it might have been a transit of Mercury.
That was a transit of Mercury (1953 or 1957). The transits of Venus happen very infrequently. See the NASA Planetary Transits Page.

For those of us who missed the Venus transit, there are some Mercury transits still to come in the not so distant future. They are just harder to observe because Mercury appears a lot smaller on the Sun's disk.