A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Jan 18 2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Political discussions now allowed

The ban on political discussions on this board, which has been in place since the board's creation, is now being lifted.

Provided you are respectful of the opinions of others and can engage in thoughtful discussion without resorting to inflammatory statements or trolling, you are free post and engage in topics that are political in nature.

The staff of this site, as always, has the final word on what is respectful and what is not, and will delete posts that we feel cross the line.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: Political discussions now allowed

Could be very interesting and I look forward to reading, if not necessarily doing a lot of contributing. Thank you, Cheryl.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Or should that be Pandora Priscilla

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2012, 04:36 PM   #4
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Could be very interesting and I look forward to reading, if not necessarily doing a lot of contributing. Thank you, Cheryl.
Same thing here
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I had to think about that for a moment, Kugai. It could indeed open Pandora's Box.
Old Jan 20 2012, 12:57 AM   #6
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

just wondering, why did you take off the ban, cheryl?
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2012, 03:20 PM   #7
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
I had to think about that for a moment, Kugai. It could indeed open Pandora's Box.
I agree, @ Priscilla and Kugal, I find hard to communicate so you won't find me responding, or responding awkward, its hard when I understand something but providing feedback has been hard.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2012, 12:41 AM   #8
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
just wondering, why did you take off the ban, cheryl?
Not that I'm Cheryl but I expect it's to allow discussions of ACTA and SOPA, which could put an end to the internet as we know it. There's another thread on the board for discussing that subject.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

ah, that makes sense.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Been wondering something... are religious discussions allowed? I've never seen any on the board, but I've never seen any ban either.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Not that I'm Cheryl but I expect it's to allow discussions of ACTA and SOPA, which could put an end to the internet as we know it. There's another thread on the board for discussing that subject.
Plus, the current Republican nominations are SUCH a trainwreck, it'd be a shame not to be able to point and laugh... and shudder.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1 2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
Been wondering something... are religious discussions allowed? I've never seen any on the board, but I've never seen any ban either.
Personally I don't see much difference between them.
I think the important part of Cheryl's message is: "Provided you are respectful of the opinions of others and can engage in thoughtful discussion without resorting to inflammatory statements or trolling"

KAth, I watched CNN yesterday evening and an American journalist went around one of the better boroughs in Tokyo with an iPad with photos of the republican candidates. Nobody was recognised and there wasn't a Japanese knowing even one name...
What's more, I think it would be exactly the same in most of the European countries

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2 2012, 01:27 AM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

They are allowed, Talisath, as long as they are respectful.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2 2012, 11:25 PM   #14
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

KAth, I watched CNN yesterday evening and an American journalist went around one of the better boroughs in Tokyo with an iPad with photos of the republican candidates. Nobody was recognised and there wasn't a Japanese knowing even one name...
What's more, I think it would be exactly the same in most of the European countries
How is that a comment on the candidates, but Americans not recognizing foreign politicians is a comment on the Americans?
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Good question, Anareth. There has always been (to me, anyway) a double standard when it comes to discussions of the US compared to discussions of anywhere else. For example. There is a general practice by some to call all Americans "Yanks". No. We are not all Yankees. That title is reserved for those born in New England. There are also Southerners, Mid-Westerners, Westerners, and if I leave someone out I apologize. I'm proud to be a Yankee and glad to be an American. This has absolutely no bearing on how I feel about other countries or their citizens. I find it's important for me anyway, to have a good opinion of all citizens of another country, and if I hear of or meet (in real life or on the internet) one that I find is not up to my standard I will dislike that person. I've known people to be the other way around. Disliking an entire country worth of people just on general principles and then if they happen upon one that is "okay" they may accept them as "normal". Anyway. Just my two cents worth. In today's economy that might only be one cent!
Old Feb 3 2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
How is that a comment on the candidates, but Americans not recognizing foreign politicians is a comment on the Americans?
I didn't make a comment but a statement. I relaid what I had seen and made an edicated guess in relation to Europeans.

I'm not even sure what the CNN journalist expected or what their intention was. Fact was that the Japanese questioned didn't recognise any of the candidates.

Personally I don't think that's the candidates fault, they're not playing for the "foreign market" so to speak. I think the bottom line for CNN was if people abroad were interested in the republican/US politics, but that's guesswork.

Further more, I don't understand what you say in the second half of your remark about a comment on Americans? Maybe you misread my remark. What I meant was that Europeans, when asked, would probably not know the republican candidates either. I.e. there isn't much interest in the pre-presidential business. It does appear on the news but I think people in Europe will not start paying attention until the real presidential campaign.

As far as Americans in general go, no they indeed have not much knowledge of politics outside their country. I know. That has always been the case and I think it will always stay the same. I think that is mainly because they live in such a large country that was always a world leader. They do not have and don't feel the need to know about foreign politics, which actually makes sense. In Europe we always have been much more dependent on what other countries do, the USA hasn't had that 'problem' for a very long time.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 3 2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Good question, Anareth. There has always been (to me, anyway) a double standard when it comes to discussions of the US compared to discussions of anywhere else. For example. There is a general practice by some to call all Americans "Yanks". No. We are not all Yankees. That title is reserved for those born in New England. There are also Southerners, Mid-Westerners, Westerners, and if I leave someone out I apologize. I'm proud to be a Yankee and glad to be an American. This has absolutely no bearing on how I feel about other countries or their citizens. I find it's important for me anyway, to have a good opinion of all citizens of another country, and if I hear of or meet (in real life or on the internet) one that I find is not up to my standard I will dislike that person. I've known people to be the other way around. Disliking an entire country worth of people just on general principles and then if they happen upon one that is "okay" they may accept them as "normal". Anyway. Just my two cents worth. In today's economy that might only be one cent!
I suggest you have a think about what many Americans very frequently call people from Scotland and Wales, which is far more prevalent than the use of 'Yank'. (Hint: the answer in question isn't Scottish or Welsh, as it should be). Unofficial terms for people from different areas of the same country is far less offensive than calling someone the name of someone from a completely different country - though both cases are equally bad examples of ignorance. For offensive, we call you merkins.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3 2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That's fine. There are ignorant people everywhere. I'll remember that I'm a merkin.
Old Feb 3 2012, 02:23 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Kath, 'merkins' is new to me. We don't use that in The Netherlands (which most people call Holland, which does not even exist). We use Yanks/Yankees for American cars and as a general name for people from the USA (not for North-Americans which would include Canadians). We don't use Yanks as an explicit derogatory name, it's just a nickname if you want, not specifically meant to insult.
Maybe the Dutch are different because Yanks comes Yankees comes from Jan Kees, so the etymology of the term has a definite Dutch origin

I actually don't know an insulting name we use for Americans. Can't think of one. And I think that's because the USA is such a collection of people with so maney different ethnic origin. I know they use names for each others, I had never heard of a Polack before I watched All In The Family

The Dutch are know as Cheeseheads by the Belgians but I don't know if that goes for other European countries, too.