A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Astronomy

Astronomy For the sharing of astronomical observations by our members with an interest, and pretty pictures for all to enjoy.

Old Dec 2 2008, 01:26 PM   #281
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen
Default Re: The VISTA Telescope Thread (VTT)

Some more pictures I didn't have time to post while I was in Chile:

My variation on the James Bond poster:

This one picture summarises the journey from Paranal back to sea level. All you have to do is look at it for 2 hours and you'll get an impression of how exciting the journey is. (They usually block the bus windows with curtains so that people can sleep on the journey.)

Here are the Christmas decorations at the Hotel Antofagasta.

To someone who lives in the northern hemisphere, the combination of Christmas tree with hot sunshine, tropical plants and people swimming in the pool seems wrong. I couldn't believe we were starting advent... that was until I arrived back in Scotland and froze in my southern hemisphere clothes. Luckily Lanen brought me a warm coat, gloves and scarf.
Old Dec 2 2008, 01:37 PM   #282
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
Thanks for the update, I was thinking of asking later on if I could get a copy or two of a few images, one for my dad and two as a screensaver for I find them quite sothing to my eyes.
Of course Ginnystar. If you PM me your email address and let me know which pictures you would like I'll send you full sized copies.
Old Dec 2 2008, 11:05 PM   #283
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Thanks for the link to the Horse Head Nebula Cheryl. Now I hope to get a pic from StevenB to compare!
Glad you're home safe and sound now Steven! (not nearly as glad as Lanen tho!) Rest up!
Old Dec 3 2008, 12:17 AM   #284
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Welcome home Steven!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 06:21 AM   #285
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Thank you Steven for your explanation and for this thread, I have really rejoyed following your work and the pictures.

I almost wish for my eyes to see in infrared light, as your Vista picture of the Orion Nebula is more beautiful than the ones from the Hubble telescope, in my opinion. This has me thinking very philosophically about eyes and seeing in general. How limited we humans are in some aspects!

Welcome home to advent in the right temperature

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 07:58 AM   #286
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Nina: if you're interested in that, try 'Dark Universe' by Dan Goulaye.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 03:38 PM   #287
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Latest news from VISTA: The Principal Investigator is at this moment observing with the telescope and running through his check box list of verification tests before starting the complex political ping pong which results in the telescope being handed over to ESO. (If you want to know the details: the PI accepts the telescope from the VISTA project office on behalf of the VISTA consortium and then hands it over to the Science and Technology Facilities council, who then hand it over to the UK government, who then present it to ESO... Ok, no more details...). The hand over should be taking place at the end of June 2009. Perhaps then, finally, someone will announce the new telescope to the press.

The telescope has been delayed by an awkward collection of problems since I left Chile last year. A loose screw managed to gouge a chunk out of the infrared camera's filter wheel, which needed to be repaired. One of the six legs holding the secondary mirror developed a problem which caused the mirror to shake like a spinning washing machine. The problem was solved by a servo engineer adjusting some of the servo feedback parameters. Also, a cooler on the camera failed and needed to be repaired by a service engineer from Germany. There were also some problems with the telescope software (not mine) which almost had me sent out to Chile yet again, but luckily the telescope software engineers managed to fix them. These sort of problems happen when you try to put together a new facility at the cutting edge of technology. The very good news is that the primary mirror has been removed and recoated, and fine adjustments have been made to its position in the mirror cell. The optical quality of the telescope is now vastly better than it was last year. When the hand over takes place I expect VISTA will finally start releasing pictures to the public.

In the mean time, another interesting picture showed up in the "VISTA vault" since I last signed off this thread. This one is of the globular cluster NGC6723:

This picture was taken before the improvements made during the last couple of months, so I expect the latest pictures are even better (I haven't seen any of those).
Old May 24 2009, 03:51 AM   #288
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Is NGC6723 contracting or expanding?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old May 24 2009, 05:28 AM   #289
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Is NGC6723 contracting or expanding?
Since it's a globular cluster, it should be a tightly bound bunch of stars. That means the stars are orbiting around their mutual centre of gravity and (as long as the cluster has reached a stable configuration - i.e. no recent collisions or close encounters) it should be neither expanding nor contracting.
Old May 24 2009, 06:45 AM   #290
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
To someone who lives in the northern hemisphere, the combination of Christmas tree with hot sunshine, tropical plants and people swimming in the pool seems wrong. I couldn't believe we were starting advent... that was until I arrived back in Scotland and froze in my southern hemisphere clothes. Luckily Lanen brought me a warm coat, gloves and scarf.
Umm hate to point out but that's a general rule of thumb when one lives south of the Equator at Christmas time. Only ever experienced 4 white xmas's and 32 sunny ones so far, the odds are that I'll see a lot more sunshine then snow StevenB's would have the shoe on the other foot

Love that last photo. If one didn't know it as stars, one would think of looking at fireworks. It's quite fascinating really.

At the moment I've been looking at the Hubble's photos which are also quite interesting in their own way. It's been in our local news for the last few weeks. Go to:

http://hubblesite.org/

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2009, 08:39 AM   #291
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I was wondering whether there was a mini blackhole in its centre?

C. S. Lewis

Old May 24 2009, 04:42 PM   #292
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Thumbs up Re: The VISTA Telescope Thread (VTT)

Cool view Steve B. As for star view I well keep you posted. for we have a few star view folks, my dad, a relation of mine, DJ, and myself.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2009, 05:18 PM   #293
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Quote:
Since it's a globular cluster, it should be a tightly bound bunch of stars. That means the stars are orbiting around their mutual centre of gravity and (as long as the cluster has reached a stable configuration - i.e. no recent collisions or close encounters) it should be neither expanding nor contracting.
Hi Steven,

Thank you for sharing the globular cluster!

*wondering whether life would be possible out there*

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2009, 05:22 PM   #294
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Hi Steven,

Thank you for sharing the globular cluster!

*wondering whether life would be possible out there*
So are we

globular cluster image anything like the one talked about in SoP Steve B?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 09:16 AM   #295
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I was wondering whether there was a mini blackhole in its centre?
Probably not, although the cluster is likely to be embedded in a small lump of dark matter. If there was a mini black hole in that cluster (with a mass similar to the stars) it would orbit the centre just like all the stars.

It's the large galaxies (where there is a larger density of matter and the gravity well is deeper) that tend to have a massive black hole in the centre.
Old May 25 2009, 09:25 AM   #296
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
globular cluster image anything like the one talked about in SoP Steve B?
I don't know. It's ages since I last read SoP. But globular clusters tend to look more or less the same (compact blobs of stars of various sizes and densities) so this one is a good representative.

By the way, the image is courtesy of the VISTA telescope and the team who made this observation. I just sneaked it out of the image vault.
Old May 25 2009, 03:23 PM   #297
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Well, thanks for sneaking that one out, Steven. To see it and to read about it (and the "adventures" of VISTA) is very interesting

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2 2009, 03:21 PM   #298
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

For anyone interested, the latest date for the "official" hand-over of the VISTA telescope to ESO is 14th October 2009. The telescope is going through its final science verification tests (which include taking some publicity images). When they finally announce VISTA officially to the press I'll let you know.
Old Oct 8 2009, 09:59 AM   #299
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Thanks again, StevenB, for posting all the wonderful info and images that you have in this thread! It's been very interesting and fascinating to watch all this happen thru you! Thanks!!!
Old Oct 9 2009, 02:52 AM   #300
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

It has been very interesting. We've got the Horsehead Nebula as a screensaver at the moment but Spacedog's been taking photos lately of our immediate surrounds and some of them are quite good. Goes in search of thematic photography threads.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Dec 8 2009, 12:23 PM   #301
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
For anyone interested, the latest date for the "official" hand-over of the VISTA telescope to ESO is 14th October 2009. The telescope is going through its final science verification tests (which include taking some publicity images). When they finally announce VISTA officially to the press I'll let you know.
Well, how wrong that was ... After a long series of discussions and political wranglings we now have a real date for the official VISTA hand-over:
Quote:
VISTA handover to ES0
- 15.00 CET Thu 10 December

VISTA Media teleconference and PR images release
- 11.30 CET Fri 11 October
So at long last VISTA will become a real telescope doing real science.

The announcement will appear on the ESO web pages and in the December 2009 edition of the ESO Messenger (when it appears).
Old Dec 8 2009, 01:10 PM   #302
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

To comment on the various stories...
I reckon the variations in stellar brightness is 'cos they get hiccups.
Yeah if you're a super-giant looking for a stable relationship, you want a partner up to your weight (even if you're operating at the nuclear physics level rather than sentience)
My immediate reaction to the black-hole story is that it sounds like some fairly basic biology.

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 11 2009, 05:49 AM   #303
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Tne press release and publicity images are now available at http://www.eso.org/public/outreach/p.../pr-49-09.html

Can you spot the Horse Head nebula within the Flame Nebula image?
Old Dec 11 2009, 06:57 AM   #304
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

No, but I did spot a familiar face in one or two ESO photos.

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 11 2009, 09:11 AM   #305
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

It's now reached the BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8407834.stm
Old Dec 11 2009, 09:15 AM   #306
Hans
Master Archivist

MAN!

Is this beautiful or what?

http://www.eso.org/gallery/v/Videos/...FLASH.flv.html

Very very special to know someone who worked on this magnificent project! Well done Steven and all others

Congratulations!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 11 2009, 12:49 PM   #307
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

And typical that Jim Emerson (known in some circles as The Evil Manager from The Bad Place) should get all the bloody credit! He has been making Steven's life a misery for months now. Grrrrr!
Old Dec 11 2009, 12:54 PM   #308
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

NOW I've found it. I'd forgotten just how small the horsehead is compared to the flame.

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 11 2009, 02:33 PM   #309
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
And typical that Jim Emerson (known in some circles as The Evil Manager from The Bad Place) should get all the bloody credit! He has been making Steven's life a misery for months now. Grrrrr!
Ah, but we KNOW Steven and his competent, shy and professional self and absolutely NOTHING about professor Emerson (which would mean son of a bucket in Dutch, so there!).

Old Dec 11 2009, 05:15 PM   #310
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Well presumably he is the son of Emer (also spelled Eimhir) who was one the wives of Cúchulainn (who wasn't particulary nice) So perhaps he takes after his dad?

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 11 2009, 05:29 PM   #311
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

He must have been a little terror growing up if he's putting Steven through hell and back again now. If it was me, I'd tell him to stand up and smell the roses before the thorns bite him in the rear end. I tend to get "foot-in-mouth" disease occasionally as you can see but it does make me mad if someone keeps putting someone down all the time, without justifiable cause.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Dec 16 2009, 04:05 PM   #312
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

I love the bucket reference. I'll remember that next time he telephones me out of the blue...

We had a reception at the observatory today to celebrate the completion of VISTA. There was a large display screen showing images of the telescope construction and commissioning, finishing with those wonderful publicity images. They even showed a couple of my fish eye pictures.

It's ironic that we had the party on the same day that cuts in UK astronomy funding were announced.
Old Dec 17 2009, 02:12 AM   #313
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I saw the news article today
The cuts look suspiciously (from the BBC news site) like the ones that people spent a lot of effort stopping two years ago.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2009, 09:21 AM   #314
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

If you mean the UK withdrawal from the Gemini project and the closure of the UKIRT and ING telescopes then yes. If you mean the 25% cut in university grants, this latest cut is in addition to the one made 2 years ago. The universities and nuclear physics people seem to have born the brunt of it, but it could have been a lot worse.
Old Dec 17 2009, 01:07 PM   #315
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

The Gemini cuts. I remember all the stuff last time about it. I guess that the same arguments apply this time.

Yeah, my boyfriend mentioned the nuclear physics cuts. I know that there is a lot of industry sponsorship there. The last lot of cuts was one of the reasons I applied for my current position here, I wasn't sure if I'd get a PhD place back home.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote