A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats

Old Nov 25 2007, 03:25 PM   #1
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Default Residual Facial Expressions

When I'm thinking a particularly verbal thought--ie, thinking up dialogue for a story--I'll find myself making facial expressions to go along with things. That is, until I realize I'm doing it, and I stop it, lest people think I'm nuts (a very real concern, considering schizophrenia runs in my family).

Anyway, that made me wonder...when telepaths are talking to one another, do you think a non-talent watching them will see them make faces, depending on what's being said? AMC seems to indicate no, but also indicates that telepaths think it's impolite to 'path around non-paths, so I'm wondering if, as a part of the politeness, they also school themselves not to make expressions while telepathing.

Your thoughts? (so to speak? >)
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Wink Re: Residual Facial Expressions

I think that somewhere Anne described the mind active talent as having a slightly vacant expression when concentrating. I could remember wrong, though.

However, I should think that if something was highly worrying or amusing it would be hard to retain a straight vacant face. At least the mind tone would indicate amusement or other feelings to the receiving talent. Sensitive un-talented people would pick up on muscle tension which is also described by Anne.

Having lively facial expressions at least indicate that one is very much alive I myself often have to explain in order not to be misunderstood.

Once riding on the train while reading a comic book a man opposite me asked me if he could join in my fun. Well, also a way in which to get to talk to other passengers

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Default Re: Residual Facial Expressions

I think that in general, since higher Talents would most likely be around other Talents, a small amount of facial expression would be allowable in public. I think in private that they'd just let themselves go. With what Jeff and Rowan got up to psychically, I doubt that she would have been able to keep *that* off her face!!

At the end of the series when Talents are placed on board military ships, I would imagine that Isthian, Roger et al would have to undergo some sort of self discipline to keep their features as plain as possible to minimise the possibility of someone else (mis)reading their body language and 'knowing' that whatever message they were waiting for was positive/negative/whatever.

Generally, the more a pathing Talent is in the contact with unTalented people, the more neutral they would have to be outwardly.
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2007, 01:59 PM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Perhaps it would be considered impolite to notice it if you are non-talented.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2007, 02:44 PM   #5
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

LOL Picturing a small child pointing to a pathing Talent and asking his mummy (daddy/primary care-giver) if the man with the funny face needs the toilet really bad and being hushed up LOL
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

LOL! Good one, Gidget!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2007, 08:31 AM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I recently saw a play called "Warhorse" about horses in WW1.

The on-stage horses were lifesized puppets each worked by three puppeteers; two inside and one, running alongside like a groom, working the head and neck. You could always get an extra clue as to what emotion the horse was expressing by watching the "groom's" face!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

Did the "grooms" do that on purpose, as part of the play, sir?
Multi-Facets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2008, 04:35 PM   #9
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I think it wasjust that they were really getting into their role.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

Ah, I see. Thank you, Mr. P'ter.
Multi-Facets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2008, 09:42 AM   #11
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

I always got the feeling that they got that slightly distant expression that a Dragonrider got when speaking to his/her Dragon.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14 2008, 03:40 AM   #12
proserpine
Soul-Eaters

Fan of: Moreta

I'm rereading Damia, myself, and after reading the scene where Jeff deals with that Altairan captain and has a conversation with his mother at the same time, I feel that in conversation in front of clients they definitely try to keep the expression off their faces, but when not they don't bother as much. It probably depends entirely on the company they're in while having said telepathic conversations.

Quote:
When I'm thinking a particularly verbal thought--ie, thinking up dialogue for a story--I'll find myself making facial expressions to go along with things.
I do the same thing when drawing facial expressions or body language! It seems to help, though, so I try to ignore the weird looks
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 05:09 AM   #13
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

I go with Kater... I also want to say others around them would be aware of such exchanges. The higher talents wouldn't give something like a facial expression away but they might give off a feeling of detachment or be mistaken for disinterest. I'm sure it depends. Speaking of facial expressions...I think it's a sign of great intellect. I should make more expressions when I'm writing or playing music. I tend to clam up and not let it go, so to speak. I think those who do really create! Don't stop. (-:
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote