A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 22 2008, 04:07 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Change in eBay feedback system

Maybe enough people complained and while I don't like the new policy about anonimity of buyers I wholeheartedly endorse this new feedback measure eBay took,

It is no longer possible for sellers to give buyers negative feedback and at least as imprtant is that only the last 12 months will count towards buers feedback profile.

Copied from eBay:

- Sellers may only leave positive feedback for buyers
- We will remove negative and neutral Feedback if a member becomes suspended
- Members can leave Feedback up to 60 days after a transaction (down from 90)
- We will remove Feedback when a buyer fails to respond to the unpaid item process.
- Members will receive credit for weekly repeat Feedback (going back to 1996)
- We will base the Positive Feedback Percentage on the past 12 months of activity (and include neutral Feedback in the calculation)
- The PowerSeller Program will use the same calculation method described above to determine eligibility for the PS Program for the Positive Feedback percentage requirement of 98% positive.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 06:26 AM   #2
~(_'>

Default Re: Change in eBay feedback system

I say it's about time. A negative for a negative is crap. The ONLY negatives I ever got were retaliatory. I think if you don't get something, and don't get your money back, you should be allowed to give a negative. I pay, you send the item. Otherwise, you get a negative.

I do look for them to eventually have something for the unpaid bidder though. Sellers do have a right to know if someone habitually bids but does not pay. On the other hand, maybe ebay should just suspend that person's right to bid.

That power seller seller thing is crap. The retaliatory negatives I got were from power sellers who did not send the item. Giving special status to someone who has hundreds of negatives or hundreds of neutrals is wrong.

I'm glad the neutrals are going to count against now too. The number of times I have almost bid on something, and then checked the seller feed back to see that they have 50-100 neutrals a month I can not even tell you.

Now, if they will just police the sellers who invent bidders just to run up the price! I can not tell you the number of times I think, oooooo am the only bidder, gonna get this cheap! Only to see one or two (or more) someones with 1 or 2 feedbacks run the price up.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Sandi

Well, since I'm in the middle of a big mess with a "Power Seller" right now I guess I have to say I'm in favor of some of the changes at least. They registered a "strike' against me for non payment over a week after I paid for the item. I have a list of messages I sent them before and after that action to which they never responded at all. They withdrew the dispute yesterday but never admitted any guilt, saying only "we've agreed to complete the transaction." I think they only did that because I started an "item not received" dispute of my own which I am not going to cancel until I actually get the item. Buying on ebay is always a gamble and I don't do it often. To be fair, though, most of the time it has worked out well for me.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Sandi, I've been in more or less the exact same position once and luckily had the email correspondence so I could prove to eBay I had gone through trouble to inform the seller about the fact that I had repeatedly offered to pay but they (she) didn't respond to my emails. It was a seller in Florida who subsequently put me on a blacklist or something (after the one transaction) and refuses to sell to me again! How silly can you get *shakes head*

After that incident I made it a point to always use the messaging system eBay provides and react through that with a copy to myself via mail so I can always prove to eBay what I have done and what messages I sent.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 22 2008, 03:37 PM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

The line I've had pulled on me is a seller stating "paypal prefered" and then trying to claim "paypal only"

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Sandi, I've been in more or less the exact same position once and luckily had the email correspondence so I could prove to eBay I had gone through trouble to inform the seller about the fact that I had repeatedly offered to pay but they (she) didn't respond to my emails. It was a seller in Florida who subsequently put me on a blacklist or something (after the one transaction) and refuses to sell to me again! How silly can you get *shakes head*

After that incident I made it a point to always use the messaging system eBay provides and react through that with a copy to myself via mail so I can always prove to eBay what I have done and what messages I sent.
That's what I did too. If ebay was looking at any of it they could easily see what was going on. The whole thing seems silly, really. The item I was/am trying to get is a new version of the old NES Nintendo game machine. Not exactly something I can't live without, just thought it would be fun to play some of the old games with my granddaughter. The seller is evidently some big-deal distributor of gaming gizzmos while I am a very infrequent ebayer. But a deal is a deal and I paid my money and I want my machine.
Old May 22 2008, 10:55 PM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I've just been ebay looking at all their announcements etc as well. I think I've come out of it okay ........... SO FAR! I've made the following comments, for all those who find me on ebay, just to say that there are some honest ones out there.

1.I've only received 1-2 neutrals in all the time I've been on it and that was because the person considered p/h was too expensive, little did they realise that I charged only what the post office charges me and I've said so. I had to laugh though because they came back and brought stuff off me again and didn't complain this time. I've also had 1 buyer who tried to blackball me because she thought I stuffed up - I didn't. I've always tried my utmost bestest at keeping people happy with an ebay experience.

2.I've only given 1 negative and I withdrew it when I've received the item in question - the person is no longer registered because too many complaints were made about them (what does that tell you? At least I try to be honest in all my dealings with buyers and sellers. I will agree that there are some corrupt ones out there!)

3.Usually give a refund if I've over-quoted on p/h, even if it's only $1-2. Keeps people happy.

P'ter, I've always given people the option to chose between Paypal and an alternative payment. Although now it's PAYPAL ONLY as from the 1st week in June, but COD on certain items like cars, houses etc - I think with pick ups as well but I haven't gone through all of them yet! Apparently because ebay brought Paypal several years ago, it's a case of let's double dip on all the fees. Ebay has lowered their fees but still hitting you again when the buyer uses paypal so the seller gets hit twice. Not a happy chappy about that point. But if I want to sell on ebay, that's what's happening.

You'll find me in my signature below (and yes I did ask Shalyn, how to do it before I put it up - what a helpful mob we have here on MoM - thanks Shalyn!)

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I think that its about time that Ebay looked at their feedback system...as it was in terrible need of change.
I have never gotten anything but possitive feedback...but mostly because we never gave out negative feedback...especially when I saw what happened to several of our friends that did. We have on occasion given out netural feedback, but mostly we refuse to give any feedback when we were majorly displeased with the seller. Several times we had to go to dipute an item..but always had it go in our benifit, as we always use the ebay messaging system to deal with sellers.
I do think that the sellers need to have someway to deal with people that don't pay for their items...or people that are never happy with their purchases...but that will probably come later.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2008, 11:30 PM   #9
~(_'>

I really don't feel for the seller. The seller is not the one out any actual cash money. Save the listing fee, and he gets to declare that on his income tax as a business expense.

The person out any actual cash money is the buyer who did not get something he paid for.

1) Bidder does not pay. Item is not sent. Seller is out--nothing.

2) Seller advertises insurance required. Buyer states item is not recieved. Insurance covers this. Seller is out--nothing.

3) Buyer leaves false negative. Seller can respond to that feedback stating...insurance paid on item that buyer says he did not get. *shrug* The seller is really out nothing. Not if he is an HONEST seller.

4) Buyer not happy with item. Seller can state in the auction no returns. Or seller can accept returns. IF the buyer sends the item back promptly. Item MUST be sent back insured. Buyer pays that shipping. Seller can return money IF the item is in the original shape/package.

Buyer is out only return postage and insurance money. This is a deterent to a false claim of item never sent.-- an HONEST buyer is out--very little.

Maybe if I were the seller I would feel differently. But I doubt it. Comes with having parents who owned a business. There is a cost to doing business. *shrug*
Old May 24 2008, 08:08 PM   #10
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Well, I AM a seller, and I feel differently.

Why? Because the only things that I have never been paid for are things that the bidder has bid up and up and up, then not paid.

I sold a set of books once, for over $50. Jerkette never paid for them. Then leaves me negative feedback that I didn't send them. By the time I realized she wasn't going to pay (because she kept sending me emails saying that 'the check was in the mail'), I wasn't even able to apply for a final value credit.

I relisted, but it didn't go for anywhere near that amount.

And this happens more than I want it to. Even now, I have a pair of overalls that haven't been paid for, and probably never will be.

So where are my rights? As far as you guys are concerned, I don't have any, and all I want them for is for deadbeat bidders.

Thanks.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 08:58 PM   #11
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Huh. Are they removing negs only for buyers, or for both sides?

I used to sell for a company I worked with, and I learned that negatives gave valuable feedback to me as a buyer and seller both...not the negative itself, but how *people responded to it*. I'd hunt up a seller's negs...if they got a neg and went ballistic in their reply to it, I wouldn't buy from them. But if they got a neg and responded in a coherent, logical manner, I would overlook it (particularly if it was just a handful of negs that were largely overshadowed by positives, because there's always nuts out there). Because what if something went wrong with my shipment? Would they go ballistic and be hard to work with even if whatever happened was the truth? I wanted to stay away from the sellers that had largely positive feedback, but a few negs they went nuts on, because the negs showed me that if something did go wrong, I'd probably be shafted, no matter if they have 2000 positives and only 1 neg. And as a seller it's nice to have that fore-warning about a buyer...if they're obviously going to be a pain, I could cancel the bid ahead of time.

If everything's happy-cheery it's hard to get a good look at the picture, particularly if you're trying to decide to buy on a big-ticket item, or something you've been looking to get for a while that means a lot to you.

Sure, it hurts to get an undeserved neg as a seller or buyer, but I found the negs useful.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2008, 09:24 PM   #12
~(_'>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
Well, I AM a seller, and I feel differently.

Why? Because the only things that I have never been paid for are things that the bidder has bid up and up and up, then not paid.

I sold a set of books once, for over $50. Jerkette never paid for them. Then leaves me negative feedback that I didn't send them. By the time I realized she wasn't going to pay (because she kept sending me emails saying that 'the check was in the mail'), I wasn't even able to apply for a final value credit.

I relisted, but it didn't go for anywhere near that amount.

And this happens more than I want it to. Even now, I have a pair of overalls that haven't been paid for, and probably never will be.

So where are my rights? As far as you guys are concerned, I don't have any, and all I want them for is for deadbeat bidders.

Thanks.

Yeah, I do feel bad for you, because you are an honest seller. I don't know what the middle ground would be. Giving only paypal as an option I guess. I have to admit, not being an ebay seller, that I did not think about the deadbeat buyers as being a problem. I just figured you would still have the item and not be out anything.

The times that I have had problems getting what I paid for have hardend me. $13 here, $40 there. It adds up. Partly my fault mostly the seller's. I work hard for the money. What I buy on ebay is scrimped and saved in a special pot marked "you earned it" and I spend it on the things I want. The high end stuff I get means that I took money from the grocery pot or the heat pot or the gas pot and that I am really paying for it. So then there is less food, lower thermastat or to and from work driving only.

A negative for a neutral is not fair either. And that is what I got for bothering to be honest.
Old May 24 2008, 10:02 PM   #13
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.

Well, *my* solution is that if a seller ships using the eBay selling manager, the feedback should automatically be put as positive towards the buyer. This way, the buyer already has the positive feedback they deserve for a transaction.

Or, if the buyer has already given feedback, the seller cannot give negative - whether the buyer's feedback is positive, negative or neutral.

This would give the seller some protection.

I've been lucky in buying - and have only ever given three negatives. Looking at my feedback rating, you can imagine how many transactions I've ever had.

Thing is - personally, I don't give a rat's petootie about feedback. I hate it when people use positive feedback as blackmail. I guess that I have enough positive feedback that one or two negatives won't hurt me.
Old May 25 2008, 03:50 AM   #14
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

I agree with Shalyn, in the respect of being very lucky in the buying department (only once so far, I've had a problem and that was resolved). The selling part is a different kettle of fish because the person/s didn't contact me before they left feedback. I'm quite happy to resolve any issues that arise if I KNOW ABOUT IT but if I don't, what can I do?

As for mouse, I too had parents who owned a business which is where I learnt about having good customer service, even if it means giving a discount on purchases made or sending bonus items as a reward for repeat purchases. That's what it's all about as a GOOD seller, keeping customers happy. If you get the *dud* ones (seller or buyer), I call it a learning curve, plenty of choices to be made about it e.g. don't deal with them again, use the ebay "report" system, feedback (I can still make a comment even if ebay forces me to leave a positive for an "unfair" situation as a seller as a result of a buyer's indiscretions even though buyers still have the 3 choices - I'm left with one, hhmm?!?! but as I like to be fair......) etc....

Actually that brings up an interesting point, how come as a buyer, I have the choice of leaving positive, neutral or negative BUT as a seller, I'm left with only positives? I realise ebay is defending the buyer's rights in that case but............what about the seller's?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old May 25 2008, 05:04 AM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Sorry Shalyn but I can't follow your point. But of course I do feel sorry for you if you don't get paid, the again for those times I assume you didn't lose as you still had the good, right?

As seller you say pay up withing this timeframe, when money received you give postive feedback, when not you give negative.

In the new feedback systen, read what eBay wrote. If buyer does not pay you start a dispute. If seller cna't produce proof of payment, eBat takes action.

The example you give about the books not fetching as high a price as the non-payer didn't come up with. Eh, yeah... duh. She probably overbid or bid too much and realised it too late, that might be why the next time the good didn't come near the never paid bid.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't mean to be but eBay has always been simple to me and some buyers made it unnessary complicated.
For me, and we've had this discussion before I think, it has always been: seller gets money, gives positive feedback - buyer receives goods as described, give positive feedback. Seller does not send anything before being paid (a big advantage!). If damages need to be covered: insure, otherwise buyer has no rights (heck I even paid for those damaged whelan posters in full because I forgot to insure en I knew/saw the seller had packed good). For other issues there is the eBay dispute system.

With all having been said and knowing eBay I must admit that this might also be a move to make all buyers and sellers to use PayPal and none of the other means.

I too had parents with business and I have been in retail 10 years of my life (which is 10 years too long). There's a lot of dishonesty going on in retail and business and honest businessmen are and have been very hard to find (yes, I'm a cinic). Still, honesty is valued and imho the most valuable asset in business.
As for eBay, I found it full of honest (amateur) sellers. Of my almost 300 transaction (far more items) I have had 3 disputes, losing real money on onoy one (a French seller). I must say that those are far better odds than "real life buying" so I am very content with eBay and its sellers. Maybe if you look at it, the same goes for the sellers and the good will outweigh the few bad times by a rather substantial amount of transactions?

Old May 25 2008, 11:25 AM   #16
Sandi

I don't do credit cards and therefore don't do Paypal. I paid with a postal money order on May 6th. The seller dropped the no-pay dispute without actually admitting to having received the payment but I still don't have the item in question. Tracing the money order costs another $5 and probably 60 days by which time ebay will lose all interest, as I understand it. As things now stand the seller has my money, the item, and time to make any protests from me go away. Doesn't make me want to run back and bid on anything else on ebay.
Old May 25 2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Nowadays, at least here in The Netherlands, you can either link your PayPal account to your bank account or if you don't like that you can also transfer some money to your PayPal account. So if a creditcard . PayPal is your problem it can be solved.

Nevertheless what you say is true and you need to take care that you yourself file the despite with the seller (despite everything else) before the 60 days are gone. It's the only change I don't like with the new system but sellers and buyers alike will have to get used to the fact that when the deal isn't endd to each other's satisfaction I'll file a dispute anyway, just to make sure it'll all be brought to a satifactory end.

Sandi, in my opinion there is no reason to wait with filing a dispute until the last minute
And you can start a dispute (I think) on the same item the seller started a dispute about.

Old May 25 2008, 11:44 AM   #18
~(_'>

Quote:
Well, *my* solution is that if a seller ships using the eBay selling manager, the feedback should automatically be put as positive towards the buyer. This way, the buyer already has the positive feedback they deserve for a transaction.

Or, if the buyer has already given feedback, the seller cannot give negative - whether the buyer's feedback is positive, negative or neutral.

This would give the seller some protection.

I've been lucky in buying - and have only ever given three negatives. Looking at my feedback rating, you can imagine how many transactions I've ever had.

Thing is - personally, I don't give a rat's petootie about feedback. I hate it when people use positive feedback as blackmail. I guess that I have enough positive feedback that one or two negatives won't hurt me.

I do look at feedback when buying. Someone with 137 nuetrals and 20 negatives and the numbers are like that for every month, and is a powerseller, you bet I look. Mind I look at how long they have been without any negative feedback. I also look at what the negative feedback says. Someone who whines about postage and leaves negative well that is hardly fair to the seller. I tend to ask, hey, this is a teeny tiny cross stitch kit that I know will fit in an envelope and mail with a stamp. WHY is postage on it $4? But that is me. I DO read what the seller has to say about that negative. So it is important to me that the seller say... "I did not send this because she did not pay for it" "postage set by postoffice not me" and etc. I do expect to have to pay for that $4 postage tube and the $4 postage to send that tube thru the mail.

I look at the sellers negative feedback and then I look at what the seller said about the buyer. Did he give the buyer a negative in exchange for the negative that he got? Are they fighting back and forth? That tells me a lot about the seller too.

But if the seller is someone like you, who clearly sells stuff on ebay as a secondary income or as a hobby or whatever, NOT a powerseller, NOT someone pulling in all their yearly income on ebay, I am much more likely to buy from that person.
Old May 25 2008, 12:02 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Well said mouse, well said. I agree.

I must say I dont even bother to look at feedback when a seller has a respectable number of transactions with a feedback score of over 98 or 99. To be honest I probably start looking when a score is lower than 98.5 or something.

Old May 25 2008, 12:21 PM   #20
~(_'>

I've found my best stuff by going with a seller someone else probably wouldn't go with. One of the best deals I ever got on an Anne book was someone who had never sold on ebay before. Another was someone with crap for feedback. Looking back later, I did realize how lucky I was. No one else got anything they won.
Old May 25 2008, 02:16 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I also look at the feedback scores, but only when its lower than 98, then I go and read whats been said. If its a real complaint of goods not as discribed, or extremely slow shipments then I pass on bidding...but when its nutters complaining about stupid things then I will go ahead and bid...even on scores that are much lower than 98ish. Sometimes it takes sellers a little while for the new seller to get into the rythym of ebay and how the whole selling thing works.
I think you just need to be an fairly aware shopper, be fair and honest...and do your research to get a good deal. Frankly we love ebay...and all but a very, very few sellers have been fantastic to deal with.

Good Luck to all...on either side of the treasure hunts!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 25 2008, 04:54 PM   #22
Sandi

The seller I'm currently struggling with is a Power Seller with 98-point something positive feedback score. I'm ashamed to admit it but I didn't really look at the feedbacks until after the deal was done. My thinking was along the lines of "ok, Power Seller since 2001, must be on the up-and-up." After all the problems developed I tracked them out more. They are a large(ish) internet sales company with their own selling website and listings on Amazon and elsewhere. I think they've become too big for themselves. My biggest problem (aside from not receiving my item) has been communications. Messages to them just result in instantly generated "hi there, we'll get back to you" type email responses. I have filed a counter dispute for item not received and have not closed it just because they closed theirs. This is a holiday weekend in the US but if I don't hear something useful from them by Tuesday I'm going to go back to bombarding them with messages and will probably file a negative feedback, not that either is likely to do any good.
Old May 26 2008, 10:05 PM   #23
Shalyn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
I also look at the feedback scores, but only when its lower than 98, then I go and read whats been said. If its a real complaint of goods not as discribed, or extremely slow shipments then I pass on bidding...but when its nutters complaining about stupid things then I will go ahead and bid...even on scores that are much lower than 98ish. Sometimes it takes sellers a little while for the new seller to get into the rythym of ebay and how the whole selling thing works.
I think you just need to be an fairly aware shopper, be fair and honest...and do your research to get a good deal. Frankly we love ebay...and all but a very, very few sellers have been fantastic to deal with.

Good Luck to all...on either side of the treasure hunts!!!
Now, if you're talking extremely slow shipments on priority mail, then I understand.

However, I know you buy a lot of books. And I sell a lot of books. And most books I send Media mail.

There are times I'll send media mail and the book gets there in record time - one, two, three days.

But for some places, media mail takes a lot longer. And that is not my fault. That is the post office.

Most people who ship Media mail say "media mail", so I expect slow shipping. So for someone to complain about slow shipment when the auction says 'Media mail' is just wrong.

I had someone give me a negative...or was it a neutral?...for that. They lived in Redneck City, Iowa or something like that. You *know* that Media mail is going to be slow to there. If you want faster, then ask for Priority.

Also, don't forget...even if a pattern costs X amount of dollars to ship, there is also the packaging that the seller has to buy, the trip to the post office, the time it takes, the doctor's bills when you need a knee replacement because you tripped and fell flat on your face while walking to the post office...

...not that I've had time to go to the doctor's yet. But after over a month and the front of my knee is still numb? Not good. (And no, I'm not charging for that!)
Old May 27 2008, 03:22 AM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

That gives a whole new meaning to packaging and handling
Better not specify the cost of P&H, Shalyn. And good luck with your knee and your business.

I have the same experience with the cheapest overseas modes like you with media mail. Had packages arrive within the week but also taking 6-9 weeks!

Old May 27 2008, 06:09 AM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

Aha, I found that, despite the fact that the numbers (percentage) will reflect your feedback of the last year, you still can leaf through older feedback (I was still able to easily find my one negative).

Old May 27 2008, 06:44 AM   #26
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Here Aussie Post is basic - standard or large letter, parcels (includes boxes or satchels as well as prepaid or express) then there's overseas mail - airmail or seamail. But even occasionally they do stuff up and "lose" things on me. They lost a letter on me and I had to fax the info through in the end. So it may not always be the seller's fault.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old May 27 2008, 07:27 AM   #27
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.

Quote:

They lived in Redneck City, Iowa or something like that.
Wow, I've lived in Iowa all my life and I didn't know we had a "Redneck City."

I don't buy on ebay very often and I've never had a huge problem, so I don't really have experience with having problems with the feedback, but I must say I like the changes. They sound pretty sensible.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2008, 09:43 AM   #28
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I thought all Iowa was Redneck City

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2008, 09:48 AM   #29
Sandi

I think the slow shipping thing is more about how long it takes the seller to ship, not how long the shipping actually takes. I paid for my item May 6. Allow a few days for them to receive the payment then count from there to today. They still haven't shipped my item.
Old May 27 2008, 08:36 PM   #30
~(_'>

You do. Look closer at the map.
Old May 27 2008, 08:37 PM   #31
~(_'>

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I thought all Iowa was Redneck City

It is.
Old May 27 2008, 08:47 PM   #32
~(_'>

Quote:
Now, if you're talking extremely slow shipments on priority mail, then I understand.

However, I know you buy a lot of books. And I sell a lot of books. And most books I send Media mail.

There are times I'll send media mail and the book gets there in record time - one, two, three days.

But for some places, media mail takes a lot longer. And that is not my fault. That is the post office.

Most people who ship Media mail say "media mail", so I expect slow shipping. So for someone to complain about slow shipment when the auction says 'Media mail' is just wrong.

I had someone give me a negative...or was it a neutral?...for that. They lived in Redneck City, Iowa or something like that. You *know* that Media mail is going to be slow to there. If you want faster, then ask for Priority.

Also, don't forget...even if a pattern costs X amount of dollars to ship, there is also the packaging that the seller has to buy, the trip to the post office, the time it takes, the doctor's bills when you need a knee replacement because you tripped and fell flat on your face while walking to the post office...

...not that I've had time to go to the doctor's yet. But after over a month and the front of my knee is still numb? Not good. (And no, I'm not charging for that!)

I live in Redneck City, Illinois. It takes forever to get mail. It takes forever to send mail. Priority my house to Texas is at least 4 days. AT LEAST. One town over, 11 miles away, it's two days. I have to pay attention where I mail stuff. On this side of the river, stuff goes South first. On the other side of the river, in Redneck Iowa, stuff goes North first. Even the coast guard comes to this side of the river to mail stuff they want to go South.

I know how much mailing stuff costs. Poster tubes are NOT cheap. Nor are boxes. Nor is bubble wrap. I expect to pay that much for some of the stuff I order. I look at what it says under postage too, and then add what I expect the box/poster tube/bubble wrap to cost and know if I got took.

I feel for the average, every day seller on ebay. The honest ones. Like I said, I rarely buy from power sellers. They're the ones that took me. Seems like they're always the ones.

I get stuff on ebay that I can not find around here. Home. I just don't want to lose money over it. *sigh* I guess there is really no easy answer. I don't know how much ebay charges to list something. So I don't know how much actual cash money you're out when someone bids and does not pay.

That old, treat people the way you want to be treated thing would really come in handy here, if all people would co-operate!
Old May 28 2008, 01:41 PM   #33
Sandi

I don't live in Redneck City. I live in Redneck Holler. The closest city with what passes as a shopping mall is 60 miles away. So I look at ebay sometimes. To update my current situation, yesterday I got a sort of apology and a shipping routing number and (drumroll please) a positive feedback from the seller. That seems funny to me because I bought six items from a different seller two days after that complex purchase. The items arrived in a strangely engineered package but everything was in the condition I expected so I gave them a positive feedback. Nearly a week later I've had no feedback from the seller I praised and a positive feedback from the seller I fought. Go figure.
Old May 28 2008, 04:43 PM   #34
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:

Shalyn...Mostly for me, I consider the item slow when I haven't recieved it or at least heard from the seller after three weeks. I have waited longer, when I've heard from the seller that they had had a death in the family and they were sorry but it would be another two weeks before they would be able to get back home and do their shipments. When they did send them, there was an extra goodie in the package and a lovely thank you for being so patient with them. I think that most buyers will understand life getting in the way of their items being delivered in a speedy time...the others that complain would complain anyways, but its still a good practice to let your costomers know whats going on...its just good business practice. I have been lucky with most all of our sellers...and I am very happy with Ebay and all that you can find on there.

P.S. I sure hope your ok...and that your knee heals up quickly and without complications. Good Luck!!!

Old May 29 2008, 09:39 AM   #35
~(_'>

There was a time I won about 6 items on ebay, all in a week... gee, that was a good week.... anyway, I paid for everything and then sat back and waited for everything to come. Pretty soon I had 5 out of 6 items and was waiting for the last. A couple of weeks go by and I remind myself to be patient, these things take time. Then ond day I get an email from the seller. Just a tentative, one liner...it read... " are you going to pay for this item?" Oh God I was mortified. I had totally missed that I had not paid for the item. Ebay did things differently then I guess. I told the seller I had been waiting to send him an email saying I had not gotten the item, when had he shipped it. I paid at once and told the seller he could leave me negative feedback if he wanted, I had earned it. He left me great feedback. I guess he was so glad not to have a deadbeat buyer he let it go. He did laugh at me. I earned that too. *shrug*
Old May 29 2008, 10:56 AM   #36
Hans
Master Archivist

I had a similar experience though very different at the same time. I bought a book in the UK I wanted to have sent to a friend in Scotland, so I used his address as the one the UK book needed to be sent to. Then I bought a book in Germany, firdst asking the seller if he would post to The Netherlands (wasn't stated). he did, I said thank you, placed the bid, won the item and paid using PayPal. I receved nothing and after two weeks (Germany is "next door") asked whether he had already sent the titme. Yes, he replied, to the address you provided in Scotland...

He never even inquired if he should send it to somebody with another name in another country but in the end the mistake was mine of course because I had forgot to change the address back

To make things worse I also bought an item in the UK on the same day which was also sent to Scotland. This seller also didn't notice that I was in The Netherlands and that he sent the package off to Scotland, but again... if I had changed the address back...

Needless to say that they got positive feedback and that I will reimburse my friend in Scotland the cost of sending the books to me, for which I'll thus end up paying double postage Definitely and shameful moment in my eBay history

Old May 29 2008, 11:03 AM   #37
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I had sent a couple of 'heated' emails to a seller once because I had bought the item and it too didn't come. I used the email address listed on his payment email and never got a response. I finally saw where he'd relisted the item and I sent a question to the seller via it, and it was VERY heated and threatened giving negative feedback since I couldn't reach him. He turned around and blasted me back saying I didn't have a right to be so upset as he'd never heard from me. I then told him that I'd used the AOL address on HIS payment email as instructed to try to contact him. He then told me that he hardly ever checked that email! Now you tell me who's at fault with that! But anyway, he got my item shipped out, he'd been out of stock, again who's fault was that! I've got the item and it all ended civily.

I've never liked the fact that a seller could leave negative feedback for a buyer in retaliation but there should be a way of a seller being able to let other sellers know if a buyer is a bad one too.

The majority of buyers and sellers are honest and good folks who love eBay. It's a case of 'one bad apple' well maybe in the global scope of eBay it's more than ONE. But it's nice to know that eBay is working on making things better.
Old May 29 2008, 07:03 PM   #38
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

2cent Re: Change in eBay feedback system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post

1. I've never liked the fact that a seller could leave negative feedback for a buyer in retaliation but there should be a way of a seller being able to let other sellers know if a buyer is a bad one too.

2. The majority of buyers and sellers are honest and good folks who love eBay. It's a case of 'one bad apple' well maybe in the global scope of eBay it's more than ONE. But it's nice to know that eBay is working on making things better.
Reply to (1) - There is one possibility, Becky and although as a seller - I have to leave a "positive" rating for the buyer, I can still leave a COMMENT. The comment can be written in any number of ways, e.g. Does not pay, not the greatest communicator BAD APPLE (okay I'm being facetious here), BAD BUYER, doesn't pay, DO NOT SELL TO THIS PERSON etc... However because I'm such a nice person, I usually try to resolve any problems that occur before doing something as nasty as this to someone.

Reply to (2) - Thank you for the flowers (compliments). I hope to deal with you on ebay then and all issues, positive or otherwise, are resolved so easily. This is coming from the hopefully GOOD apple barrel!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old May 30 2008, 10:49 AM   #39
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I've not had time to look at eBay much less review all the new changes going on, so I'm glad to hear from Jube that sellers can leave a comment about a transaction. Thanks for the info Jube!!
Old May 31 2008, 06:01 PM   #40
Shalyn
Inactive

You've always been able to leave comments about the transactions. Now, however, you get to reward the buyer while commenting that they are deadbeat.

I just don't bother responding - though the two deadbeats I've had in the past two months - one has paid, and I was able to get a final value credit from the other.