A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Oct 5 2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Magicjax
Darbul

Fan of: I love all I've read
Now Reading: Damia's Children
Default How Anne McCaffrey's books are helping me.

I just had to come here and share a little about the life changing experience I've had this year and how Anne McCaffrey's books are helping me.

You see, I'm now 39 years old and I've been deaf since my late teens. So I could not hear a single voice for about twenty years of my life. Well, last December that all changed. On December 21 2009 my cochlear implant was turned on and I started to be able to hear again. So its been a very exciting year for me.

At first all I could hear where buzzes and squawk sounds. I could hear voices but I couldn't tell what they where saying. But as time went on and my brain relearned to distinguish sounds, speech started to get easier and easier to understand. In fact at my last hearing test a couple of months ago I scored 78% speech comprehension. This allowed me to do things I never thought I'd ever be able to do again. Simple things like when I called my mother on mothers day and my farther on fathers day. Those where emotional calls because I haven't been able to do that in twenty years.

Now I come to the part that had to do with Anne McCaffrey and her great books. I was first introduced to her work about ten years ago. I was just looking for something to read and my ex girlfriend gave me one of the Pern books to try because she was a fan of Anne McCaffrey and had a good collection of her books. So I read all the Pern books as well as some of her other series such add freedom and the talents.

Well my audiologist gave me a suggestion to improve my speech recognition. She suggested I pick up some audio books and listen to them as I read along. So of course I was thrilled when I found out that Anne McCaffrey's books where available as audio books. This was very helpful in my "hearing training" and I'm now to the point where I no longer need to read along as I listen. I just load them in my iPhone and plug it into my cochlear implant. As a result I actually enjoy work now. I make a lot of circuit boards. That's not a hard task really but it is time consuming. So as I work I'm listening to Anne McCaffrey's books and the time just flies by. I enjoy it so much that I sometimes wish I had more work to do when a job is done. LOL

Anyway I just wanted to share that and publicly thank Anne for her great work. Its meant and continues to mean a lot to me. I hope this tells her that at least one persons life is better now and her work played a part in that.

Ron Jaxon

Last edited by Magicjax; Oct 5 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Magicjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2010, 12:02 AM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: How Anne McCaffrey's books are helping me.

Welcome to MoM, Magicjax. Glad to see you here and that you're finding life easier then before with your cochlears. Makes a difference, doesn't it? All the best and hope to see you here more often.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2010, 12:20 AM   #3
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Welcome Ron. Glad to have you here.

Is there someone who could forward his post to Anne?
Old Oct 6 2010, 03:46 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I will, Draco. I guess you don't mind, Ron? I don't do this often but I think she will enjoy this one

Welcome to MoM, Ron. Very interesting to hear what has been possible for you, hearingwise. Enjoy yourself here!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2010, 05:49 AM   #5
Magicjax
Darbul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I will, Draco. I guess you don't mind, Ron? I don't do this often but I think she will enjoy this one

Welcome to MoM, Ron. Very interesting to hear what has been possible for you, hearingwise. Enjoy yourself here!

That would be great. Thank you.

I'll tell you another little thing that's kind of ironic. My real name is Ron Jackson but my stage name is Ron Jaxon. I'm a professional magician. If you do a google search for "Ron Jaxon" and/or Deaf magician you'll find some links that mention me. I'm not David Copperfield known or anything but I'm fairly known among magicians because of the various magic props and tricks I've invented.

Anyway, here's the ironic part. I came up with the "Jaxon" part, not because of "Jaxom" as some of you might be thinking. LOL But because years ago I was trying to come up with a logo for my magic. I came up with a design with the word "Jaxon" and one of the lines on the "X" was a magic wand. I don't use that logo anymore but I won a magic competition and my trophy spelled it "Jaxon" because of the logo on my business card. Basically, the name just stuck.

But admit I thought it was neat how close my name was to Jaxom's name.

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon
Old Oct 6 2010, 09:19 AM   #6
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Found it and I think it looks like a cool site too, to visit:

http://www.magicjax.com

I still say

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Welcome! I'm glad cochlears work for you. I've been hard of hearing since I was 5, going on 6, but I was told implants would actually be worse for me than hearing aids. Something to do with how much hearing I lost. I like audio books, but I also tend to read along as it helps me focus. Can't hear well enough without my hearing aid, and most earphones don't fit comfortably over it. Anne McCaffrey is special to me too but for different reasons.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Magicjax
Darbul

Yea they aren't right for everyone. But they're great for others. I'm so glad I decided to get mine.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything but when I looked into getting the cochlear years ago they told me pretty much what you said they told you. But that was when the technology was still pretty new then. When I found out how much they've improved in last ten years or so I looked into it again and of course ended up getting one.

Put it this way. At first they focused on allowing people to be able to hear just what's known as environmental sounds. By that I mean just sounds around like hard objected tapping together or foot steps. That was about limits of the technology then. But it wasn't all that helpful when it came to residual hearing such as speech. It eventually improved to the point where they focused on giving people the ability to hear and understand speech.

Today it's so advanced that speech isn't all that challenging anymore. Now the focus is on music. That's much more complexed then speech because its made of so many layers of sound.

They only reason I shared all that is to say that if you looked into it before you should look into it again if its been a while because they've made lot of advances. Not suggesting you should get it but it doesn't hurt to find out if its an option.

On the other hand I do recommend hearing aids if they work for you. No sense having surgery if there's a way to hear better without it.

Ron Jaxon
Old Oct 6 2010, 06:09 PM   #9
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenrider Tresa View Post
Welcome! I'm glad cochlears work for you. I've been hard of hearing since I was 5, going on 6, but I was told implants would actually be worse for me than hearing aids. Something to do with how much hearing I lost. I like audio books, but I also tend to read along as it helps me focus. Can't hear well enough without my hearing aid, and most earphones don't fit comfortably over it. Anne McCaffrey is special to me too but for different reasons.
I know the feeling on the hearing aid issue, too, got them, but had to have them made with a special hypoallergenic (right spelling I think ) shells for the chemical and I in the regular plastic didn't agree at all, they are kinda clear and make a bit easier for me to wear. my ears got so red and inflamed just from were them less a few hours and it took two years to find a way to get them. If I had known that the Center was there at University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, its not there any more I could have had better luck understand some folks speech, for I have what they call I think 'cookie cut' type of lost, if I miss the begining of the word or sentence, when there is a lot of background noise I loose the meaning. By the way I think I may had told this before, but some of names I didn't pick up till I heard them on audio the M in Mnementh is silent. as an example of what I mean.

Eann Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was kind to send me an audio copy of Catalyst Book one of Barque Cats, I had read the first chapter and loved it, at the time I had a problem with the lens replacement from my cataract sugary when it was coming out.

There is a thread or two or three around here some where on audio, and other languages copies of books.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Oct 6 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Expaned on a term.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2010, 06:46 PM   #10
WandaSue
Curlycorn

Fan of: Dragonrider series
Now Reading: Dragongirl

Welcome to the board, and am so glad to read of the improvment to your hearing..Anne is a wonderful writer and I think she will be very happy to hear your story...
WandaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2010, 07:57 PM   #11
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

That's so cool! I'm glad Hans is forwarding it to Anne. She's sure to love it. And welcome to posting!
Old Oct 6 2010, 09:13 PM   #12
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Thank you for sharing.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7 2010, 02:02 AM   #13
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7 2010, 05:44 PM   #14
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Oh I know you're not trying to talk me into anything. I just remembered that last year I definitely got the impression that I'd end up with less hearing than I have now. I think my speech comprehension is somewhere around 90%, can't remember exactly. I also break things, which is one reason why I have a behind the ear aid rather than in the ear. Tried that once, broke it, and it wasn't nearly strong enough anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicjax View Post
Yea they aren't right for everyone. But they're great for others. I'm so glad I decided to get mine.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything but when I looked into getting the cochlear years ago they told me pretty much what you said they told you. But that was when the technology was still pretty new then. When I found out how much they've improved in last ten years or so I looked into it again and of course ended up getting one.

Put it this way. At first they focused on allowing people to be able to hear just what's known as environmental sounds. By that I mean just sounds around like hard objected tapping together or foot steps. That was about limits of the technology then. But it wasn't all that helpful when it came to residual hearing such as speech. It eventually improved to the point where they focused on giving people the ability to hear and understand speech.

Today it's so advanced that speech isn't all that challenging anymore. Now the focus is on music. That's much more complexed then speech because its made of so many layers of sound.

They only reason I shared all that is to say that if you looked into it before you should look into it again if its been a while because they've made lot of advances. Not suggesting you should get it but it doesn't hurt to find out if its an option.

On the other hand I do recommend hearing aids if they work for you. No sense having surgery if there's a way to hear better without it.

Ron Jaxon

Old Oct 7 2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
I know the feeling on the hearing aid issue, too, got them, but had to have them made with a special hypoallergenic (right spelling I think ) shells for the chemical and I in the regular plastic didn't agree at all, they are kinda clear and make a bit easier for me to wear. my ears got so red and inflamed just from were them less a few hours and it took two years to find a way to get them. If I had known that the Center was there at University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, its not there any more I could have had better luck understand some folks speech, for I have what they call I think 'cookie cut' type of lost, if I miss the begining of the word or sentence, when there is a lot of background noise I loose the meaning. By the way I think I may had told this before, but some of names I didn't pick up till I heard them on audio the M in Mnementh is silent. as an example of what I mean.

Eann Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was kind to send me an audio copy of Catalyst Book one of Barque Cats, I had read the first chapter and loved it, at the time I had a problem with the lens replacement from my cataract sugary when it was coming out.

There is a thread or two or three around here some where on audio, and other languages copies of books.

I know the feeling. Got the hypoallergenic shells too, as my ear tended to itch a lot, especially in summer. I've found leaving the aid off when I don't absolutely need it and for a little while after a shower helps too.

Old Oct 7 2010, 11:45 PM   #16
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenrider Tresa View Post
I know the feeling. Got the hypoallergenic shells too, as my ear tended to itch a lot, especially in summer. I've found leaving the aid off when I don't absolutely need it and for a little while after a shower helps too.
I know, some folks didn't even know I had them, or that I have a hard time understand folks, after my fall this spring, and getting additional help, I was worried that I would drop and not find them. Had that happen to my Medic Alert once, didn't find it till after I had order a new one. Oh well I have an idea for the old one, a glasses holder, when I not using my reading | near me, glasses. Its engraved information is faded, I have a new one now. I have a eye glass holder as a pin, and jump rings along with the other things needed to make the change, just need a hand doing that. Its hard to see close up with out them. Or read a screen or a book, hard to read fine print
too.

Quote:
Yesterday 07:19 AM
jube
Re: How Anne McCaffrey's books are helping me.
Found it and I think it looks like a cool site too, to visit:

http://www.magicjax.com
I've bookmarked to look it over later, long day!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Oct 12 2010, 01:57 PM   #17
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Welcome to MoM, Magic Jax. It was nice to read your story. Anne's books have touched so many people's lives, in many different ways.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2010, 02:43 PM   #18
Solitary
Jewel Junk

Fan of: Anything with Dragons

Wow............Magicjax! Thank you for sharing. What a treat to "hear" (pun intended ) something on the upswing now a days. Enjoy having your ears back!
Solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21 2010, 03:11 AM   #19
Magicjax
Darbul

Thank you everyone.

I just ran into a problem though. One of the audiobooks I got through itunes of Damia's Children expresses when they speak telepathically by adding sound effects to the voice. My friend described it as "reverb". So when they are "Speaking with their minds" the voice has a kind of computer echo sound to it. I'm sure it's great for those who can hear well but my hearing is still limited and when they use that "Sound effect" I can't understand them very well. I can only pick up a word here and there.

Anyone have any suggestions? I mean I don't want to end up buying it over and over again until I find one that I can follow.

Just thought I'd bring up this issue and ask if anyone might have a suggestions.

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon
Old Oct 21 2010, 03:32 AM   #20
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Thank you everyone.

I just ran into a problem though. One of the audiobooks I got through itunes of Damia's Children expresses when they speak telepathically by adding sound effects to the voice. My friend described it as "reverb". So when they are "Speaking with their minds" the voice has a kind of computer echo sound to it. I'm sure it's great for those who can hear well but my hearing is still limited and when they use that "Sound effect" I can't understand them very well. I can only pick up a word here and there.

Anyone have any suggestions? I mean I don't want to end up buying it over and over again until I find one that I can follow.

Just thought I'd bring up this issue and ask if anyone might have a suggestions.

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon
I understand, they use the same format for Dragons in Dragonriders of Pern, too if I recall right. I might have an idea, but getting to late for me.

I do know that the Talking Book Program did have some problem with names in Dragonrider of Pern.
I don't recall if any of the Tower books are in the collection, never realy ask , add to my ask list.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Oct 21 2010, 04:01 PM   #21
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Other than reading along? Nope, no idea...

Old Oct 24 2010, 01:09 AM   #22
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I'm not too sure on this for the ipod (sp) but I think there is an adapter for your implants, I shall see if I can't track were I read it a catalog or a handbook, for the tape player and others types of media.

I shall see what I can find out. I don't want to get your hopes up but I shall keep hunting, I'm also hunting for some other related information.

I only spotted for I was looking into some else. I think I've found it. I had to back track to find some of it. I shall keep on working, for I too have problems with hearing, and as I've said before if I can help someone I shall see what I can find out.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons

Last edited by GinnyStar; Oct 24 2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old Oct 25 2010, 03:23 AM   #23
Magicjax
Darbul

Thanks a lot. Don't spend to much of your time on it but I do appreciate it.

I've read them all before so I can still follow along well enough. Just kind of annoying. But oh well, that's life. It's just great to be able to hear it at all.

Ron Jaxon
Old Oct 25 2010, 05:05 PM   #24
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Don't spend to much of your time on it but I do appreciate it.

I've read them all before so I can still follow along well enough. Just kind of annoying. But oh well, that's life. It's just great to be able to hear it at all.

Ron Jaxon
I also have some problem too, so I'm doing for all who have a disability be it show up easily or is a hidden on, like my inability to communicate via writing, I know what up in my mind just can't translated either sometime verbal or writting! to say the least
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons