A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Feb 17 2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default New acquisitions - new Pern books for Hans + a new language!!

Most of you know I am crazy enough to collect (at least) Anne's Pern books in as many different languages (and cover art!) as possible. Up till now I've accumulated books in 12 different languages: I got virtually all available titles in English, German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish and French and several in Italian, Spanish, Czech, Polish and Thai.
Well, I've managed to add a language Estonian! Two of Anne's Pern books (Dragonsong and Dragonsinger) are translated into that language, and published as hardcovers (I had see and handled them at Anne's house), and recently I was able to acquire "Lohehaul" or Dragonsong (with the seller on the lookout for me for "Lohelend" or Dragonsinger) for a nice price (c. $7.50). What's even better, the book has totally new cover art by a native artist: Tiina Reinsalu. So without further ado, here it is:

it's obviously Menolly (who suddenly seem to have Mexican/Indian ancestors) who features on the cover of Lohelaul.

Staying in Eastern Europe I also found a battered and bedraggled copy of Dragonflight in Polish: "Jezdzcy Smokow", also with new, original cover art (with a Lessa with low cut dress who must be freezing her **** off up there; there's quite a lot of covers with that ). The dragon looks like a giant bat and the Red Star seems to have been down- or upgraded (?) to the Red Void I love the fact the publisher (this is a 1991 edition by Rebis, not the first) is telling us that the book is/was number one on the New York Times bestseller list: "Nr. 1 liscie bestsellerow New York Timesa" - there's obviously no word in Polish for bestseller... and of course it wasn't but Anne was on that list (the first time with The White Dragon) but OK. Added bonus is that this book has a Polish Pern map that isn't in the Maps & Charts section of the Pern Museum & Archives! Needless to say the price was very low but I still bough it because you don't see Polish Pern books offered on eBay that often.

Polish Dragonflight

Moving a little bit closer to home. I finally managed two buy two of the four German mass market paperbacks I still need to complete my German Pern series. There's something funny with these remaining four. Dragondrums (Drachentrommeln) and Nerilka's Story (Nerilka's Abenteuer) fetch prices that are very unusual for paperbacks and are much higher than those asked/paid for the other volumes in the series (independent of the fact that they are first or later editions): between $20 - $40 dollars and I have no idea why. They are not very rare. Anyway, I finally bought them, paying about $20 for each of these (ex postage!)
Now the remaining two, Renegades and Dolphins, are even worse... those fetch prices (yes, fetch prices in the sense of being actually sold for!) between $40 - $90! I'll be darned if I know why. Again, they are regularly offered. Last Dolphins I bid on (last week) went for the royal sum of over $83 ex postage Ah well, I'll keep looking and one of these days I'll get lucky I feel it!

Nothing special but still a (compulsory) Pern acquisition were the recently released mass market paperbacks of Dragon's Fire. I mean, as a Pern Collector you need first editions of these or you're not worth your Pern books

And last but certainly not least... An Advanced Reader's Copy (so called ARC) of the latest Pern book "Dragon Harper", a gift from a dear author friend I think you might know Question remaining: how under the double moons will I get Todd to sign it?

And Becky, if you can't see the change in Anne's (latest) autograph in this specimen I'll eat the cover One thread left to go, the non-Pern stuff

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Feb 17 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: New acquisitions - new Pern books for Hans + a new language!!

I love the Estonian book cover...the dragons are very different looking than any other cover work. I hope that you do get to find the last book in the series.
Also love the inscription in the Dragon Harper Arc....must make you very happy with that one.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Shows up to
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2008, 05:59 PM   #4
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Very nice additions!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2008, 06:18 PM   #5
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Congrats on the finds Hans. On the cover of Nerilkas Abenteuer is that suppose to be a dragon? I like the cover of Drachentrommeln better.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2008, 12:59 PM   #6
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Hans, if you go to Dragoncon than you can get Todd to sign the book there.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

LOL, Hans! Yes, I can see the change in Anne's signature. More wonderful goodies you've found! I saw the Estonian on eBay and almost put in a bid, but decided not to. I figured you'd be looking for it. And I don't collect foreign language copies. I'm glad you got it!!
Old Feb 19 2008, 02:55 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Thank you Becky but if you would be really interested, we now have a contact in Estland

Beware though... collecting foreign language edition can get completely out of hand

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2008, 11:21 PM   #9
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

That's why I've stayed away from foreign language editions! I have enough trouble staying out of trouble with English ones!!!
Old Feb 20 2008, 09:41 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Becky that seems to be my problem too...although I do have to admit that I have picked up a few of them...some of those with the really fantastic looking covers....the ones that we haven't had published on the U.S. editions.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21 2008, 03:15 PM   #11
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

Those are really interesting finds though, and I love seeing all the different cover artwork.

I think if I ever went looking for foreign language Pern books, I'd search for French translations. Right now, I'm a poor college student , so if I ever take up that search, it's still many years in the future. What's the point of having a foreign language book, if you can't read it or compare the translations to original language it was printed in?
Old Feb 22 2008, 07:44 PM   #12
Deb

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

What wonderful editions to add to your collection!! You must be over the moon with pride to add those!! Congrats!
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote