A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > All the Rest

All the Rest One-offs, romances, fantasy novellas, short stories... If it's not in any of the above series - or it crosses the realms of multiple series - come discuss it here!

Old Jan 18 2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Angry Where Have Anne's Books Gone??

Perhaps it's just the few bookshops that I have been in of late, but over the past several months I have noticed that many places have been clearing shelf space of Anne's books.

I used to be able to find only DRoP or Acorna and then only a few copies of a few certain books.

But now I can rarely find anything by her at all.

This includes Ottakers, Waterstones and Books Etc in several locations across the south of England. Also I have noticed that libraries seem to be getting short on them too.

Whilst, obviously, book shops are there to make money and would stock editions that sell versus ones nobody buys. So does this mean that AMC is no longer a popular author and her works aren't shifting?

Can us normal ppl actually get figures from publishers about author sales?
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2007, 08:27 AM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Where Have Anne's Books Gone??

Ottakers is now owned by Waterstones- it's got a few here but not many. The independant bookshops in Aber have a few.
WHSmiths in Shrewsbury told me once that they order them in as they have no demand! Aka WhSmiths as usual!
The DROP books are available and Acorna, I think the problem is that alot of the others are published by Orbit and they're not as easy to find as Transworld books.

Hey! You're from Purley! My Mum's from there!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
Ottakers is now owned by Waterstones- it's got a few here but not many. The independant bookshops in Aber have a few.
WHSmiths in Shrewsbury told me once that they order them in as they have no demand! Aka WhSmiths as usual!
The DROP books are available and Acorna, I think the problem is that alot of the others are published by Orbit and they're not as easy to find as Transworld books.
Oh. So what's the beef with Transworld then? Is it a UK thing?

Hey! You're from Purley! My Mum's from there![/QUOTE]

LOL No, I *live* in Purley now. I'm actually *from* sunny Wiltshire (not that far from Stonehenge) and moved up there at the end of June 2006 as my oh-so-charming landlord chucked me out after I lost my job (which makes it sound like it could be down the back of the sofa somewhere whereas it was actually the Big Boss being a ..... well, he liked to spend what he didn't have, put it that way).
Old Jan 18 2007, 09:09 AM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

poor you!
I thought it used to say somewhere else!

Tansworld/Corgi publish alot of authos and they can shove more of their books on the shelves- I don't read much modern stuff but they manage to keep a good selection of books by Eddings, Pratchett and Anne herself in the shops... Except WHSmiths where you MIGHT find a few TPs and maybe the latest Acorna book!

I'm gong t have an investigate when I have time and see how much of these all the local shops stock!
Old Jan 18 2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
poor you!
I thought it used to say somewhere else!
Hmmm. Well "poor" just about sums it up LOL Although currently I am working for IBM for Zurich back down in Swindon (ugh, what a hole).

Quote:
Tansworld/Corgi publish a lot of authors and they can shove more of their books on the shelves- I don't read much modern stuff but they manage to keep a good selection of books by Eddings, Pratchett and Anne herself in the shops... Except WHSmiths where you MIGHT find a few TPs and maybe the latest Acorna book!

I'm gong to have an investigate when I have time and see how much of these all the local shops stock!
Yeah, I always see a whole host of TP books (which I don't mind as I love him), and also a load of Buffy & Angel 'novels'. But no AMC. Oddness.
Old Jan 18 2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.
Now Reading: The Death of Artemio Cruz, Fuentes

The bookstores where I live, basically just Waldens and Barnes and Noble, carry almost all of Anne's books that are still in print. And they order one for you at no extra charge if they don't have it in stock. I guess here there isn't the problem with the UK publishers.
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2007, 04:30 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Some UK booksellers are rubbish! They only stock books they think you want to read! The amount of Authors that are in print but unavailable- evergreen books too like the works of CS Forester, Dorothy L Sayers and John Buchan to name just 3. Then they'll only stock The Belgariad by David Eddings or three very common Anne McCaffrey books and they don't rotate their stock, so, if it's not on the shelf I'm so fed up that I'll buy it off Amazon!

They also shove things into a corner. I spent ages looking for a copy of "Bang" which is a very attractive looking book with a holographic title by Patrick Moore (Sky at Night), Brian May (the guitarist from Queen) and Chris Lintott (other presenter of The Sky at Night). I found it shoved on its side mixed in with the other outsized popular science books while the display was full of rather rubbish celeb biographies!
Old Jan 18 2007, 07:03 PM   #8
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Waterstones had to order most of my DRoP books for me. I daresay they know me quite well in there...^^;

But I've ranted about this topic to anyone who'll listen to me. My local Waterstones is three stories high, a massive building (Derby branch) and they used to have about three or four shelves of Anne's books...I went in the other day and they only had two of her books.

I notice that David Gemmel's books are appearing a lot more frequently now.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2007, 11:28 PM   #9
makenzie71
Eskay

Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order

Barnes and Noble has them in abundance...as well as amazon and Ebay. Can't really be too suprised, though...her books are all niche novels and some of them are 40 years old.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2007, 04:33 AM   #10
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjslack View Post

But I've ranted about this topic to anyone who'll listen to me. My local Waterstones is three stories high, a massive building (Derby branch) and they used to have about three or four shelves of Anne's books...I went in the other day and they only had two of her books.
Ha! My point exactly! HUGE big places that carry umpteen thousand copies of a book "written" by Jade Goody or Jordan or other non-list "celebrities".

Grrrrrrrr.
Old Jan 19 2007, 04:53 AM   #11
Mary

In Ireland I have rarely seen many Anne books on the shelves of any bookstore. When I was in Wicklow, near where Anne lives, I went into the local bookstore and they had none on the shelve there.

Thank goodness for Amazon.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2007, 07:03 PM   #12
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Smiths in Wolverhampton are on a par with Aber (National policy I suspect).

Our only other book shop is Waterstones and, despite the manageress being an Anne-fan they rarely stock any Annes at all. They used to have a line of about twenty of any new novel plus a fair sprinkle of the others. Now if you want an AMC you have to order it.

I suspect that the problem is the supermarkets. They discount the Mills and Boons etc by such massive amounts that Waterstones etc are feeling the pinch in their cashflows. So they're having to fill their shelves with what they hope will lure in the punters and sell in large quantities. Science fiction (except for Star Wars, star Trek and Doctor Who tie-ins) doesn't seem to appeal to Joe public.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2007, 01:11 PM   #13
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I had a look yesterday-
Galloways= 7 from a variety of series
Waterstones= Nearly all the Pern books, a couple of Acorna books and both Twins of Petaybee books

I haven't been to the arts centre to count yet (OK I went but forgot
Old Jan 25 2007, 05:14 PM   #14
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

What I found a little odd was the fact that Waterstones was even unable to find and order 'DragonHolder' for me. My Uncle had to end up getting me one off Amazon.

I've never seen any AMC in a charity-shop though. I've seen plenty of David Eddings and other 'top' authors...Just goes to show once you own an AMC book, you never want to get rid of it. xD (And with good cause too).
Old Jan 25 2007, 05:18 PM   #15
makenzie71
Eskay

Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order

The first McCaffrey book I hit up, Dragonsdawn, was from a $.05 thrift shop. They had all her pern books for nickels and dimes. Unfortunately it was over a year before I actually got around to reading the book and, upon returning to the store, no more were there.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2007, 06:19 PM   #16
Menderofillusions

Fan of: Freedom's, Doona, Petaybe
Now Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

I have noticed a huge dissapperance at our main library. The school library's only have Dragonriders (first 3) and Acorna series. Half price books does have them mostly in papperback, Barnes and Noble only have recent sellers.
Menderofillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2007, 08:36 PM   #17
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

My school library has the Dinosaur Planet, a few pern, and on Ship. Between the two public libraries in my area, though, you can find almost all of Anne's books. I'm really lucky, although of course I always want to buy them anyway!
Old Jan 26 2007, 10:57 AM   #18
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
What I found a little odd was the fact that Waterstones was even unable to find and order 'DragonHolder' for me. My Uncle had to end up getting me one off Amazon.
Dragonholder has been out of print for quite some time. Also, I think only Del Rey published it; I can't think of a UK version of the book.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2007, 11:06 AM   #19
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
I've never seen any AMC in a charity-shop though. I've seen plenty of David Eddings and other 'top' authors...Just goes to show once you own an AMC book, you never want to get rid of it. xD (And with good cause too).
Years ago my mum once bought me a very old copy of TWD from a charity shop for about 50p (just under US$1). I kept it for a while but then gave it to a library when I moved house. Heaven knows where it is now as that library now stocks precisely zero AMC books!
Old Jan 26 2007, 11:15 AM   #20
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Dragonholder has been out of print for quite some time. Also, I think only Del Rey published it; I can't think of a UK version of the book.
Really? -Looks at own DragonHolder inside cover- Ah yes.

I think my Uncle had to get me this one from Amazon. (Christmas Present) First edition hardback though...I wondered why they seemed so expensive when I was browsing.

I had a look in my college library today in the non-resource section and there didn't seem to be many Sci-Fi books at all, let alone any by any authors I recognised.
Old Jan 26 2007, 04:22 PM   #21
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Earthbound Entertainments are offering a one hour video documentary based on DragonHolder, and claim it has Todd's backing.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Jan 26 2007, 05:59 PM   #22
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

They only ever printed the one edition, so they're pretty hard to get ahold of these days. Even ex-library copies fetch a pretty penny.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2007, 01:30 PM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Earthbound Entertainments are offering a one hour video documentary based on DragonHolder, and claim it has Todd's backing.
Well, Ive searched and can't find anything; searching their site with keyword dragonholder or mcccaffrey doesn't turn up anything; neither does a google search.

Can you provide a link please, P'ter?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2007, 04:24 PM   #24
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

http://www.thegalacticgateway.com/kosh/dragon.htm

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 6 2007, 08:43 AM   #25
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Just an update: I did see (and purchase) Changelings last weekend from a WHSmith. I was so shocked. I don't even look in the Sci-Fi section there normally as it's so poor, but I happened to pass by, looked at the bottom shelf, and WHAMMO! There was a whole load of them! Love it!

(Am half way through now. Ho hum.)
Old Feb 6 2007, 03:11 PM   #26
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

I popped into Waterstones today to get a book for my English course at college and I noticed they'd seemed to have 'restocked' Anne's shelf a little. Instead of having five copies of 'Dragonsong' they have about ten of her different DRoP books. (All of which I already have)...But there were none of her othre series there.
Old Feb 6 2007, 05:04 PM   #27
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

I noticed this last time I was in London, while the bigger Waterstones stores had the main Pern books and the latest Acorna/PTB issues, the shelfspace allocated to AMC seemed to have shrunk dramatically compared to say 10 years ago Even more noticeably, at WH Smiths and at the airport, there were scarcely any AMC books on offer at all, while there were lots of David Gemmell, David Eddings, Raymond Feist, Robert Jordan etc, to say nothing - of course - of Terry Pratchett.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2007, 05:45 PM   #28
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

But then, even with Pratchett it's mainly Discworld, not his other stuff, and back home (Newtown/Welshpool) there isn't much of a selection of them!
Old Feb 6 2007, 08:47 PM   #29
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Maybe we could open a "shop" on ebay, perhaps. I have several that I want to get rid of (paperbacks, that is), of different AMC books -NO, I haven't got around to putting them on my little corner of ebay world yet but am willing to put on if anyone wants them. I'll need to write a list out first. It's only a suggestion, after all.

I haven't hit 40 yet, being one of her younger readers but I still keep an eye out for her books. I know one book exchange shop, about 45 minutes drive away from me, is always on the look out for her books as he says she is still popular around his area. He said that one lady has nearly all AMC's books and is extremely jealous of what she's got in her collection. I've never seen it so can't comment on it.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2007, 05:05 AM   #30
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

All AMC's books as in one book of each publication, or just one of every book? If the former that...ah...a lot of books. 0_o

I have an entire shelf dedicated to my DRoP collection, but I only have one of each book.
Old Feb 7 2007, 06:37 AM   #31
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
<snip> I haven't hit 40 yet, being one of her younger readers <snip>
LOL I think that there are a lot of readers here (and in general) that are a fair bit younger than 40, Jube. I started reading AMC when I was 15 or 16 (sheesh, been at it over 10 years now .... crikey ).

I wonder who the eldest AMC reader is here on MoM.
Old Feb 8 2007, 05:42 PM   #32
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Well at 64 I'm one of the older ones. ROFL

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 8 2007, 05:45 PM   #33
Allana
Greenrider 'Lana

Candidate

I read my first Anne when I was 11 years old! I'm 17 now, so I suppose I'm a younger one.
Old Feb 8 2007, 06:38 PM   #34
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I first heard about it when I was 17, I'm now 21.
Old Feb 8 2007, 06:57 PM   #35
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

I first read an abridged version of 'The Smallest Dragonboy' when I was 11, then when I was 14 I saw a Roleplay for it and participated without realising it was a book series (having forgotten about SD) then I remembered and lo and behold at the next May-Day celebrations near me, I find three books...Ever since then I've collected 'em and spent far too much money at Waterstones...xD

-Is almost 18-
Old Feb 8 2007, 09:21 PM   #36
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

First start in 1988 when I was in high school so I've been reading her books for 19 years now and I'm 33 so I'm mid range of her fan group's age group. So for the 3 people above me, welcome to the club of Dragons and so forth. Happy Reading.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2007, 04:35 AM   #37
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Ummmm. Should these age posts be put into a new Thread in a different forum?

Incidentally, I was 14 when I first started reading and I shall be 27 this July.
Old Feb 9 2007, 03:54 PM   #38
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I thought we had a thread on members ages back in the summer (06)?

C. S. Lewis

Old Feb 12 2007, 04:49 PM   #39
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

PETER!!! PETER!!! PETER!!!! Where is that documentry available???? OR is it yet????

We seem to still have a decent amount of Anne's books available in our local Barnes and Noble, and other smaller new and used bookstores. Most all of the other books are found on the internet somewhere.

BOOK NOTE: We have lately been told that unfortunatly many of our local smaller book stores are going out of business because of all the volume of business that is done on the internet with used and rare books. One of our most favorite used book stores is going under because of it. He use to carry a number of out of print McCaffrey books in the past...he still has a few but even he is not
re-stocking any books these days.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2007, 04:25 AM   #40
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Lady M: follow the link I posted for Hans in #24.

I have e-mailed its creator as to availability. I will post again when I've had his reply.

C. S. Lewis