A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > All the Rest

All the Rest One-offs, romances, fantasy novellas, short stories... If it's not in any of the above series - or it crosses the realms of multiple series - come discuss it here!

Old Apr 26 2011, 05:07 PM   #81
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Default Re: Worst Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fan View Post
The Talent books, can't get my mind wrapped around them.
I am amused by this statement. Emphasis mine.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2011, 12:09 AM   #82
Brenda

Dragon Fan - which books have you tried? The earliest one, To Ride Pegasus, has a much different feel from the later books.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2011, 10:53 PM   #83
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

It's more the whole Idea of "foreseeing" of "Foretelling" the future, If anyone saw the future what reason would there be left for living, Nothing could Suprise you, Or leave you speechless. All the Mystery of meeting new people would be gone. Who could foresee a disaster, and then let that disaster happen without doing something to stop it from happening. This wouldn't be a Gift. Just MHO.
Old Apr 27 2011, 11:42 PM   #84
Brenda

It's not like the whole series is based on precognition...
Old Apr 28 2011, 12:07 AM   #85
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

In fact, after the pegasus books, there isn't much mention made of precog.
Old Apr 28 2011, 06:37 PM   #86
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fan View Post
It's more the whole Idea of "foreseeing" of "Foretelling" the future, If anyone saw the future what reason would there be left for living, Nothing could Suprise you, Or leave you speechless. All the Mystery of meeting new people would be gone. Who could foresee a disaster, and then let that disaster happen without doing something to stop it from happening. This wouldn't be a Gift. Just MHO.
I would like to note that the Talents specifically act to stop the disasters that they foresee. That is the premise of a number of plot points. Further, they foresee a very limited number of scenarios - certainly not everything, and not even all of the important things in their own lives. The Talents with that ability often have a focus, such as on a specific type of disaster (fire, water, weather, etc) and rarely foresee things outside that affinity.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2012, 08:32 AM   #87
Dannette
Journeyman

Fan of: The Ship who Searched
Now Reading: Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern

I liked most of Anne's books. I couldn't cope with "Restoree" at first but came back to it six months after my first attempt and got through it fine (in fact it ranks amongst my top five books.) The Planet Pirates series I couldn't get through, and although I enjoyed the related Dinosaur Planet books, they are not amongst my favorites.

I LOVED the Crystal Singer books, the firest one best of all, and the PTB books too, again the first was my favorite. I enjoyed most of the Brainship series, although "The Ship who Fought" and "The City Who Won are, IMHO, the weakest/least readable of that series. Favorite series overall is the Pern series, and though I read the first of the Catalyst books, although I have the second, I can't get into it. The Talent/Tower and Hive series have been read and re-read and thoroughly enjoyed over and over again. Acorna and changelings series were OK, not read most of her historical or horsey ones, though I enjoyed "No-one noticed the cat" more than I thought I would. Liked Doona too, again first book best.

Dannette.
Dannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2012, 08:44 PM   #88
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey

I am just the opposite I love Pern and enjoy Restoree and Dinosaur Planet but never could stand the Ship who Sang. I figured it was just because I read it when young (in my freshman days) and that I would like it more that I am more mature. Just read it again and no. It's just not me I guess.

Never read the Crystal Singer books though i did read Changeling.
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2012, 12:47 PM   #89
Brenda

Tamara, I would try reading one of the other Brainship books, because each one has a very different style due to all the coauthors Anne was working with. I would try The Ship Who Searched, or The City Who Fought.
Old Jul 5 2012, 09:33 PM   #90
Dannette
Journeyman

Tamara, IMHO, try reading "The Ship Who Searched." I found that hugely enjoyable despite Tia being a child prodigy. She needs to be as, if you read the book, you'll find out. A friend of mine loves it because she requires a wheelchair to get around, and a talented doctor in the book is a paraplegic in a Moto-Chair. She is also interested in reading "The White Dragon" as she shares a name with said white dragon.

Which is why she recently recieved a copy of "Dragonflight", "Dragonquest" and "The White Dragon" that I bought for her and which I advised she read in that order. Now she wants to know more about Pern.

Dannette

Dannette
Old Aug 16 2012, 02:20 PM   #91
Sadi
Loo Cow

Fan of: Masterharper of Pern
Now Reading: Something my Maria V. Snyder

I realized when I read a lot of the ones I didn't like at first I just needed to be in a different place in my mind. I then enjoyed them. I also learned on a few of hers, as well as a few other people, that I had to over look a lot of details and things I had issues with.
Sadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2013, 11:47 PM   #92
Dannette
Journeyman

just to clarify an earlier post: the only books I couldn't get through were the Sassinak trio. Funnily enough the three Lunzie books and the two Dinosaur Planet books were fine...but I bought the Sassinak 3-in-1 compendium and couldn't even get halfway through the first book. Anyone wlse feel this way? Or, conversely, does anyone think I should re-appempt "Sassinak?"

Dannette