A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 28 2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Chericola
Muskie

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default Lorana's Fate

This question has been bugging me for a while now: what happened to Lorana? It's obvious that she died (as seen in the beginning of Dragon's Time) but how? Was it from childbirth, or something more?

I know a lot of you on this forum don't seem to like Lorana as a character, but I never found her to be annoying or mary-sue-like. Usually I like to give characters (and people) the benefit of the doubt and I like to think about a story's positive points and less on the negative (mainly when I really like a story). So Lorana has never felt like such a horrible character to me. And I'm a bit intrigued about her now mainly because of her ambiguous fate. It is ever clearly stated how she dies?
Chericola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Eriflor

Default Re: Lorana's Fate

I don't much care for Todd's works, so I hoped someone more knowledgeable would answer this one.

Lorana is alive and well at the end of Skydragons, which I believe is the last in the series. She was working as a dragonhealer in Dragonsblood, so I assume that would be her focus in the future.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2015, 01:28 AM   #3
Chericola
Muskie

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

I know she's alive at the end of Sky Dragons (I've read all the Third Pass books ) but in Dragon's Time it makes it seem like she didn't live very long after the end of that series. In the future Lorana visits it's revealed that she died eventually (and had a son, probably by Kindan), but it doesn't say when or how. It just implies that she died very young. But later in Dragon's Time Fiona is visited by an older and very sad Lorana who draws a picture of Fiona (and in general acts as if she's going to die soon).

I like Todd's work, I admit it. I agree though that Mccaffrey's novels are the most well-written and generally the best overall in the entire series. However I like what the Third Pass novels have added to the Pern-verse. I like the time-hopping, which we never got to see as much of in Anne's books, and also how it showed how time-travellers can affect history even in small ways. And mainly I liked how the main group (Fiona, T'mar, Lorana, Kindan and co) was very family-like and acted very friendly and casual towards one another. They had the sort of heartwarming every-day family moments I like reading about. It's something the Ninth Pass books don't have too much of.

And, there's a certain charm to these books--I can't help but like them. They're of course not perfect and will never be but I do like to think that they are a nice Pern series in their own right.

But back to Lorana and her death... I have two theories about how she could have died. One is that she died in childbirth (most likely I suppose). The second is that she sacrificed herself to save Pern (possibly while battling Thread). The second theory is made possible in my eyes because of Lorana's appearing to Fiona (with a scar on her cheek--left by Thread I think) and wanting to draw her. From what I recall she was really sad and crying (I think), and it really seemed like she was preparing to die and was saying her farewells.

Overall I'm just so intrigued over this mystery and I'd really like to know how Lorana died. I think it's kinda sad that Lorana potentially died young after all she'd lost in her life.
Chericola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2015, 09:34 AM   #4
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

You could always mail Todd at Todd McCaffrey, 632 Shadybrook Ln, Unit 205, Corona, CA 92879.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Eriflor

In one of the later books, maybe DragonsTime, Lorana was pregnant, and knew she had to time it somewhere to make sure things worked out right. She was sad because she knew she'd probably lose the baby. Then when she reached her destination she did lose the baby, and the weyrfolk were very offhand with her and sent her away as soon as possible to do whatever she had to do next.

If she was sad, I'm sure it was about losing the baby.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2015, 02:41 AM   #6
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
In one of the later books, maybe DragonsTime, Lorana was pregnant, and knew she had to time it somewhere to make sure things worked out right. She was sad because she knew she'd probably lose the baby. Then when she reached her destination she did lose the baby, and the weyrfolk were very offhand with her and sent her away as soon as possible to do whatever she had to do next.

If she was sad, I'm sure it was about losing the baby.
They also didn't want her to know that the dragon's and their riders did make it. They sent her before she could make contact with those riders.

It sounds like she never met Tullea not being 'time muddled'
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote