A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Monthly AMC Book Discussions

Monthly AMC Book Discussions Beginning on the 15th of every month, we hold an in-depth discussion of a theme from one or more books. Please join us!
Currently on hiatus.

Old Jun 15 2007, 04:09 PM   #1
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Pegasus in Space 1

Just remembered the date! More questions to come! (thanks P'ter) but here's a start.

Looking at the actions of Amariah. How much do you think she knows about her talent? Is it concious or unconcious? And how necessary was all the pussy-footing the other characters did about her talent?
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2007, 06:29 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Pegasus in Space 1

I think Amariah knows instictively how to nuture, but at an unconcious level.

Anne has both Ryssa and Damia having this hang-up about childrens' talents.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
Just remembered the date! More questions to come! (thanks P'ter) but here's a start.

Looking at the actions of Amariah. How much do you think she knows about her talent? Is it concious or unconcious? And how necessary was all the pussy-footing the other characters did about her talent?

I think because they feared that her talent mimiced that of Ruth Horvath's, in that they assumed it was subconscious, they chose to deal with her with kid gloves so to speak.

They were worried it seemed that if it were brought to her attention or they tried to "direct" her development that it might be inhibited by pressures or stresses of sucecss or failure.

From the story itself and specifically the places where she exibits her fine talents...it is quite apparent she's aware of what she does, if not how she does them. I do think it was unncessessary to keep her so sheltered from it however.

After all, its because of Amariah that an entire branch of medical talents developed in the future. The Metamorphic treatments used by the Rowan during Jeff's injuries are a prime (pardon the pun) example of how much her talents evolved, and eventually were able to be taught and honed.

Quite a fetching young lass she was.

Metamorphically yours,

MMV
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2007, 10:13 AM   #4
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

I think the sheltering wasn't done for any other reason than to stop her overextending herself, simply because they feared she would have wanted to try and heal everyone in the world, and might have become depressed once she realized she couldn't help everybody in need. They needed to wait until she was adult enough to handle the realization that her strength was limited, and not feel too guilty over it.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2007, 03:13 PM   #5
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I they they even said something to that effect, Graneth. She was very young & would have had a hard time relizeing that she could save some peole, but, not all. As an adualt she could hadle the pressure of know that easier.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawofone View Post
I they they even said something to that effect, Graneth. She was very young & would have had a hard time relizeing that she could save some peole, but, not all. As an adualt she could hadle the pressure of know that easier.
Yes but as adults often do, they superimpose their own limitations upon the child....all to often taking for granted how incredibly bright and aware that children can be.

I believe that regaurdless of the worries of the adults, Amariah could have and did know her limitations....she was after all aware of her own abilities or she wouldn't have been able to do what she'd done when Dorotea had that stroke. She felt the congestion in the artery, felt the blockage of the clot and took steps to clear it....this was a conscious effort.....very clearly a use of her innate ability.

The scope of her ability would not have occured to her, or the idea that she should or could "save the world"...those are adult associations not of the child mind

Ingenuously yours,

MMV
Old Jun 19 2007, 02:17 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

The very first time you meet her shows that she's concious of her ability- though she doesn't talk about it out loud. It was about the delay meaning that it was too late
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5 2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

I agree with the statement that Amariyah knows exactly what her Talent is and does. As for the 'how', I don't think that any of the Talents we see in any depth know exactly how they do it either. For years Peter doesn't have a clue, and neither do Lance or Johnny (about themselves or him). They just 'do' what they do. All they know is what buttons to push, and not the act itself.

As for the pussy-footing around her ...... no, they didn't want her to be burnt out or depressed or anything like that. They also didn't want the world finding out about her in any way and have people try to abuse her 'powers'. However, I do think that they went a little OTT. She clearly wasn't a stupid child and would have understood. Alongside her microtalent was probably a helping of telempathy too. She would have got it.

I like the idea about her being the kind of progenitor to the medical Talent we see in more detail later on in the series. I hadn't thought about or noticed that before.

(Sorry that this is a bit late in the day for this book discussion!)
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5 2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Brenda

The thing it reminds me of is in The Rowan, when Jeff has been injured and Rowan and Isthia use "metamorphic massage" to "break up" something or other and aid healing. I figure that's basically what Amariyah did for Dorotea.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
The thing it reminds me of is in The Rowan, when Jeff has been injured and Rowan and Isthia use "metamorphic massage" to "break up" something or other and aid healing. I figure that's basically what Amariyah did for Dorotea.
Indeed and its just that kind of "hands on" treatment that developed metamorphics in the future