A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Sep 22 2009, 06:20 AM   #1
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default Sara invades Wales - Year 2

After my success (and my bank account's dismay) last year when I went to Hay-on-Wye, I decided to repeat the experience this year. Due to my grandad being away in France and my nana having a hip replacement however, it was my auntie that I managed to get to come with me for a couple of days this time. Amazingly, I didn't really spend an awful lot. (If you're not counting the £30 I spent at the farm shop of the way back).

So here are my finds from my second visit to the Book Town. ^_^

I'll show you the non-McCaffrey stuffs first of all.

I've been intrigued by the Naomi Novik books for a while now, and when I saw that this one was the first of the series, and it was only £2, I decided to pick it up to have a peruse. I also realised that I've never actually read an Isaac Asimov story, and this one looked like something I could get through fairly quickly. (Most of my 'to be read' books at the moment are hefty novels you could probably make bricks out of). And finally, 'The Phantom Tollbooth' was the first book I picked up in Hay. My dad had taped the film from TV for me a few years ago, and I had no idea it was a book. Okay, so it's a young person's book...but that isn't going to stop me from reading it!

Next, I picked up this book because I thought it was amusing, and it will probably give me a few more article ideas for my website. It talks about annoying, hyped up books and overrated authors.

Finally, this was in the 'Honesty book shop', and it was a hardback, and thusly only £1. I've never heard of this system before and although I'll probably never play it, the inner geek in me forced me to save it so that it could have a nice home on my 'RPG' shelf.

Now, on to the Anne McCaffrey things! I still have a whole list of Anne's books that I need 'reading copies' of, and it scared me when I was compiling it, that I needed over 50. 0_o So I've made myself a rule that if I can find them for £2.50 or less, I'll pick them up. These are the only three that I managed to find that I didn't already have. (Okay, so Stich in Snow cost me £3...but I was on holiday!)

Continuum next! And you may not be able to see, but both of these are in absolutely fantastic condition. I'm pretty certain that I only have one of these things remaining to find. (It's always a nice feeling to be able to complete a set).

Here are the two 'award winner' books I picked up. I found the Nebula one amusing, since I've just finished reading 'Damnation Alley', a Zelazny novel. It didn't occur to me(although it probably should have done) that I'd see his name so frequently in the Sci-Fi sections and anthologies when I was away.

'The Dissapearing Future' was something I'd seen on Ebay for about £4. This copy cost me £1.50...which just goes to show that the Internet is not always cheaper than real shops.

This was a book that I almost didn't buy. It cost me £6, and I saw that pricetag before I looked at the actual book. It didn't take me long to realise that even if I could find it cheaper elsewhere, I wanted to own it /now/, because it simply endeared me to it. Plus there's a bit of Pern in it, so how could I refuse?

And finally, I couldn't come away from Hay on Wye without finding at least one First Edition for a decent price that I didn't already have...and here it is! A first edition Crystal Singer that I managed to snaffle for £6.50, which I think was a reasonable price, since the DJ is price clipped, and I'll need to spend a bit of time cleaning the book. But apart from minor things, I was really pleased by it.

So there you have it! My second trip to Hay-on-Wye, and I'd just like to thank Becky (again). For the second year running, her collectors guide has been absolutely invaluable! And thanks also to Hans for posting the links to his databases in my 'Keeping Track - Take two' topic. It was from those that I figured out which reading books I still needed.

Last edited by sjslack; Sep 22 2009 at 11:32 AM.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22 2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Sara invades Wales - Year 2

What a great haul, Sara! That copy of Stitch in Snow looks pristine and I am jealous about the book I didn't even now about, the Atlas of Fantasy!!

The hardcover Crystal Singer first also looks great. Pity they didn't also have the #1 and #2 Continuum (I am syill looking for the hardcover #1 to complete my sets).

And the prices aren't bad at all, especially not since you saved on postage (I guess auntie -- was that the one I know? -- paid for petrol? )

I am glad that a few persons here have benefited from my lists, even if their wallets suffered...

Great hunting job!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22 2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Great job book hunting!!!! You found several wonderful items and at super prices!! Glad the Guide has helped you in your searches! I miss good book shops so much.
Old Sep 22 2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Sandi

I've seen little mentions of Hay-on-Wye on TV once or twice. It looks like a booklover's paradise. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself there. If you go often enough to establish a relationship with some of the storekeepers, who knows what future wonders you may be able to acquire there?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22 2009, 10:37 AM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Sounds like you got some great bargains and a holiday to boot - what a way to "spend" it, in a bookshop of course

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22 2009, 02:31 PM   #6
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I am happy you were able to find such great buy. Have fun reading them.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22 2009, 05:03 PM   #7
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King
Green Re: Sara invades Wales - Year 2

Thank you for posting about your trip and the pictures! I was just thinking about it the other day and hoping you would post! You got some great books! The prices seem very reasonable! I'm glad you had a great time!

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23 2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Well done, Sara!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24 2009, 11:26 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Fantastic finds Sara...what a haul. Perhaps you sould be considering where your going to build the next book shelves to store all of 'em!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25 2009, 10:27 AM   #10
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Fantastic finds Sara...what a haul. Perhaps you sould be considering where your going to build the next book shelves to store all of 'em!!
That's actually not something to chuckle about. I'm going to actually have to build a new bookshelf over Easter next year. >.< The big new one is almost full already, and my McCaffrey Bookcase is also not too far off being full.

-Whimpers-
Old Sep 25 2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

*whimpers to*

I am at the point wher I will be selling off other (history) books to accommodate more McCaffrey

*shudders*

Saying goodbye to books is never easy but I have to admit I do have quite a lot about which I now think: "what was I thinking when I bought them...?"

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Sep 25 2009, 02:18 PM   #12
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

I tend to go through my books once a year or so. I got rid of one or two this year, but I always end up buying more than I get rid of. -Chuckles-
Old Sep 26 2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Sara...That's actually not something to chuckle about. I'm going to actually have to build a new bookshelf over Easter next year. >.< The big new one is almost full already, and my McCaffrey Bookcase is also not too far off being full.
But look how much fun you're going to have desiging and building another one...and then going shopping for the books that will fill it. I know how much you enjoy all of it...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Sep 26 2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

I've never shopped for books to fill our shelves, it has always been the other way around

Old Sep 26 2009, 04:53 PM   #15
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

You can buy wallpaper to look like shelves of books.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26 2009, 11:39 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Yes, but Peter that kind of wallpaper is suppose to be use as a theme...for those who are lucky enough to have a whole room for their books...DROOOOOOL!!

Hans...we will go and buy a book case, thinking, *Aha!!! Now we have some more room for more books...but usually books we already have bought fill it up, and we have to go and buy another book case to have some room for more books...it's a lovely vicious circle.

Old Oct 3 2009, 07:14 PM   #17
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Looks like you made several real deals there, Sara, congrats
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2009, 12:37 AM   #18
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I go through my books, about once every 2 years and that's when it gets to the over-flowing side of things. At the moment I have 3 piles, one lot is currently on ebay, what I want to keep is on the bookshelves and there's another pile which I haven't finished sorting through yet.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2009, 03:48 AM   #19
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

You've also got a small pile for me.

I'm still bidding on one or two for you, then we'll be able to swap.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote