A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 20 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
DragonBuddy
Senior Member
Linyaari
 
DragonBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dragonville, New Jersey
Gender: F
Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King
Green Dust Jacket Protectors

I finally ordered and received dust jacket protectors from Brodart (online). I got adjustable, open-edge covers without tabs: Just-A-Fold III Archival Cover 10 inches. Its about time, since many of my signed books didn’t have one. I spent part of the morning putting them on. It was harder than I thought to get the dj in there straight, lined up perfectly, and no bends, before folding down the top. They’re a little bit glossier than I hoped, but they fit really well once I got it right. I had little books like Tor Coelura to big books like Del Rey Dragonsdawn to cover and the adjustable protectors worked great for all of them. Then as I was covering them a question came to mind. Should I cover Hargreaves with something? I do use for my collecting when I’m at home. I don’t dare take it out. I use Becky’s tips from her Guide like washing my hands first and not using hand lotion, but I still hate to handle it, but I want to use it too. It’s a dilemma for me: I want it to stay pretty, but I need to use it too! My main concern is that something will happen to the picture of AMC on the front (a scratch, imprint, corner bent, etc…). Any ideas? Anyways, what brand of dj protectors do you use? I know there are many out there so which ones do you find easy to use? I’m glad some of my collection already came with one!
__________________
Buddy


When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20 2010, 03:52 PM   #2
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith
 
sjslack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Derby, England
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

I have a glass-fronted bookcase for my Collectibles, and I put sheets of mylar on the inside of the glass, instead of having to cover each book individually. (Which I tried to do initially and failed miserably).

In terms of things such as hargreaves, I simply keep mine in my bookcase, but I've put it in a sealable plastic bag. Not unlike the ones that can be used for food, etc. It doesn't hinder anything, the book can still stand up and whatnot, but it gives that extra bit of protection.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2010, 03:30 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

All the important books are in a bookcabinet with glass doors. No extra protection on most of them except that the cabinet is standing where it does not catch any direct sunlight.

You'll probably be horrified to know I haven't protected my Hargreaves + supplement and that I actually use it. And with that I mean I have used it much! And... I write in it! OK, with a soft graphite pencil but still.

My ideas about (second hand) books are somewhat deviant from most others. I LOVE a book with dogears that has notes of previous owner(s). Especially such a thing as the Hargreaves. You couldn't do that if you ever wanted to sell, of course, but I don't. So I love books with (long) dedications (thanks Anne, Cheryl, Linda, Anneli) and writing in it as they have "more soul" and "speak" to me

Having said this I must confess I collect for fun and cover art, not investment or value of the book. So I'm just as happy with a second edition as I would be with a first. That does mean a difference. And a title I want must be terrible shabby and damaged for me not to give it a home

If you want any idea of what I own, there must be a thread called "show us your bookshelves" somewhere in the Café. I searched and here are my older pics:
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...9&postcount=33
my bedroom:
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=46
and in the library/spare bedroom:
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...&postcount=167
__________________
Hans, also known as Elrhan, Master Archivist

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman
 
Golden Talisath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Serbia
Gender: F
Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
If you want any idea of what I own, there must be a thread called "show us your bookshelves" somewhere in the Café. I searched and here are my older pics:
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...9&postcount=33
my bedroom:
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=46
and in the library/spare bedroom:
http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...&postcount=167
Jumping out of topic here, but after seeing those pictures of yours, Hans, I just HAVE TO comment:
And my mum says WE have many books! And we still complain about not having a place for all of them!
__________________
"Manuscripts don't burn", Woland, ''The Master and Margarita''

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

Uh, that is not all, Talisath, and the pictures are from before the point my colelcting got out of hand

The AMC shelves alone now look like this:

http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...92&postcount=1
__________________
Hans, also known as Elrhan, Master Archivist

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2010, 10:27 AM   #6
DragonBuddy
Senior Member
Linyaari
 
DragonBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dragonville, New Jersey
Gender: F
Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

WOW Hans! I had seen some of those but not all of them! Thanks for sharing!
__________________
Buddy


When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman
 
Golden Talisath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Serbia
Gender: F
Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Uh, that is not all, Talisath, and the pictures are from before the point my colelcting got out of hand

The AMC shelves alone now look like this:

http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...92&postcount=1
Oh, great, I didn’t have to know that! Well, at least now I know who to blame for stuffing our new house with books as my brother and I said we would.
__________________
"Manuscripts don't burn", Woland, ''The Master and Margarita''

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2010, 03:29 AM   #8
Becky
Coelura
 
Becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington
Gender: F
Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

I actually put one of the mylar covers on my Hargraves. Had to do some snipping around the top and bottom of the spine and used tape (ONLY on the mylar cover NOT the book itself) to hold the thing together on the book. Doesn't look too pretty but the book is protected and I don't have to worry about damaging it. Then having said that....I too write in mine with a very light soft pencil, basically no pressure on it. Hard to see sometimes, but easily removed if I ever need to sell it. (horrors!)
Play around with a cover and I'm sure you can figure it out.
__________________
Becky
aka Coelura1
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2010, 05:31 PM   #9
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster
 
GinnyStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wausau, WI USA, Central Standard Time
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I actually put one of the mylar covers on my Hargraves. Had to do some snipping around the top and bottom of the spine and used tape (ONLY on the mylar cover NOT the book itself) to hold the thing together on the book. Doesn't look too pretty but the book is protected and I don't have to worry about damaging it. Then having said that....I too write in mine with a very light soft pencil, basically no pressure on it. Hard to see sometimes, but easily removed if I ever need to sell it. (horrors!)
Play around with a cover and I'm sure you can figure it out.
I have one of the type that used to cover text books I think its called The Academic for my copy of Dragonsblood, for its dustjacketed got cut by accident so I am using it to keep from getting more damaged.

Only problem but I think I've found a way to tell the top from the bottom, the top has raised print, if I run my finger lightly like I do for reading braile I can tell that the top, and the tag that I quoted is located at the back of the book jacket
__________________
Lover s s, s and friends
Lover of and beads,
http://www.change.org/profiles/GinnyStar
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2010, 05:38 PM   #10
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster
 
GinnyStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wausau, WI USA, Central Standard Time
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I actually put one of the mylar covers on my Hargraves. Had to do some snipping around the top and bottom of the spine and used tape (ONLY on the mylar cover NOT the book itself) to hold the thing together on the book. Doesn't look too pretty but the book is protected and I don't have to worry about damaging it. Then having said that....I too write in mine with a very light soft pencil, basically no pressure on it. Hard to see sometimes, but easily removed if I ever need to sell it. (horrors!)
Play around with a cover and I'm sure you can figure it out.
I have one of the type that used to cover text books I think its called The Academic for my copy of Dragonsblood, for its dustjacketed got cut by accident so I am using it to keep from getting more damaged.

Only problem but I think I've found a way to tell the top from the bottom, the top has raised print, if I run my finger lightly like I do for reading braile I can tell that the top, and the tag that I quoted is located at the back of the book jacket
__________________
Lover s s, s and friends
Lover of and beads,
http://www.change.org/profiles/GinnyStar
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2010, 05:48 PM   #11
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster
 
GinnyStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wausau, WI USA, Central Standard Time
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBuddy View Post
I finally ordered and received dust jacket protectors from Brodart (online). I got adjustable, open-edge covers without tabs: Just-A-Fold III Archival Cover 10 inches. Its about time, since many of my signed books didn’t have one. I spent part of the morning putting them on. It was harder than I thought to get the dj in there straight, lined up perfectly, and no bends, before folding down the top. They’re a little bit glossier than I hoped, but they fit really well once I got it right. I had little books like Tor Coelura to big books like Del Rey Dragonsdawn to cover and the adjustable protectors worked great for all of them. Then as I was covering them a question came to mind. Should I cover Hargreaves with something? I do use for my collecting when I’m at home. I don’t dare take it out. I use Becky’s tips from her Guide like washing my hands first and not using hand lotion, but I still hate to handle it, but I want to use it too. It’s a dilemma for me: I want it to stay pretty, but I need to use it too! My main concern is that something will happen to the picture of AMC on the front (a scratch, imprint, corner bent, etc…). Any ideas? Anyways, what brand of dj protectors do you use? I know there are many out there so which ones do you find easy to use? I’m glad some of my collection already came with one!
Where did you find them? I have a hard time shoping in store now that the light is too bright. I was going to ask this question early on, but my mind when blank on me till now.
__________________
Lover s s, s and friends
Lover of and beads,
http://www.change.org/profiles/GinnyStar
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2010, 10:42 AM   #12
DragonBuddy
Senior Member
Linyaari
 
DragonBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dragonville, New Jersey
Gender: F
Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

GinnyStar- I oredered them threw their online store: http://www.shopbrodart.com/

I hate paying shipping put my local bookstores don't carry them and its hard for me to get out of the house with my baby when its so cold and snowy. I got a package of 25 protectors and the shipping was pretty fast.
__________________
Buddy


When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left over, I buy food and clothes.~Desiderius Erasmus
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2010, 02:05 AM   #13
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster
 
GinnyStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wausau, WI USA, Central Standard Time
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: Dust Jacket Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBuddy View Post
GinnyStar- I oredered them threw their online store: http://www.shopbrodart.com/

I hate paying shipping put my local bookstores don't carry them and its hard for me to get out of the house with my baby when its so cold and snowy. I got a package of 25 protectors and the shipping was pretty fast.
I understand, thanks for the link, I see some pop up on tag book repair I have one that need that and I do want to protect the ones I do have.
__________________
Lover s s, s and friends
Lover of and beads,
http://www.change.org/profiles/GinnyStar
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wow, check these out! Jax Book Collector's Meeting Room 35 Jun 26 2008 08:30 AM
Dust Jacket swapping Cheryl Book Collector's Meeting Room 25 Nov 3 2006 03:39 AM
Dust Jacket Proofs Becky Book Collector's Meeting Room 24 Nov 1 2006 07:47 PM
My collection.....or a small part of it Dyna Book Collector's Meeting Room 6 Apr 13 2006 07:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

A Meeting of Minds forum owned by Cheryl B. Miller.
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey’s fiction are copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2008, all rights reserved, and used by permission of the author.