A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Sep 15 2009, 01:36 AM   #1
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
Question Book Plates

Ok. so I have another question...

I recently purchased three 1st edition signed Pern hardcovers!!! My first signed books!!!!
Two of them are signed on the title page, but one of them has a book plate that is not attached to the book. Should I attach it? If yes, what is the best way, and where in the book should it go?

Thanks in advance....
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Book Plates

That's a tough question, Samsara! It's almost a personal type of decision to me.
I have books done both ways. Anne sent me several book plates afer I did an online chat with her years ago. I had bought Dsong, Dsinger and Ddrums in 1st hardcover and they had the prior owner's book plate on them. So I used some of the bookplates Anne sent and covered those with hers. A couple of others I just kept and actually framed them.
A book plate signature in a book isn't as desireable as her actual signature, but it's better than no signature at all.
As for placement.....hmmmmm.....the three that I covered with her plates were put on the hard inner cover of the book. I've seen some that have the plate placed on the blank front end paper. So maybe another personal choice.
Wait and see what other MoMers say, then go with your best judgement.
Old Sep 15 2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I usually place bookplates on the front endpaper, never on the inside of the cover. Like Becky said, it'a personal choice.

I never understood that signed books are more desireable than books with bookplates because (especially the kater) bookplates are much nicer than a plain autograph. I do agree that signed/bookplated books are more desireable than inscribed books - except when they say: for my dear friend Hans, Anne McCaffrey of course

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16 2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Red face Re: Book Plates

ok, I'm about to embarress myself here (maybe... ), but which page is the 'front end paper'?
Old Sep 16 2009, 06:06 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

The endpapers of a book are the leaves of paper before the title page and after the text. One part is pasted to the inside cover. They hold the text and cover together. They are also called end leaf or end sheet.
The free half of the end paper is also refered to as a flyleaf.
Booksellers sometimes refer to the front end paper as FEP. They can be removed from e.g. former library books which is often done because they usually contain the sleeve for the lib/loan card.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Sep 16 2009, 06:12 AM   #6
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Cool. Thanks for the info Hans!
Old Sep 16 2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Congratulations Samsara... on acquiring all your new books...I really hope you enjoy them collecting them. I'll go with Hans...I have put several of Anne's bookplates on that first free empty page, before the title page and I have also framed several of her more interesting book plates...especially the ones with her photos on them.
ENJOY!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2009, 07:08 PM   #8
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I wouldn't know as I don't have any bookplates. Although all the suggestions above, sound good to me. Do you have any photos?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2009, 11:25 PM   #9
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: Black Horses for the King
Green Re: Book Plates

I must be weird! I don't like to attach my AMC book plates. I framed two of them and the other is just resting inside the front of one of my favorite books. I've seen books with the book plate on both the cover side or the front end page. I like the front end page better. Either way, book plates are cool!
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31 2009, 10:03 PM   #10
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Smile Re: Book Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
I wouldn't know as I don't have any bookplates. Although all the suggestions above, sound good to me. Do you have any photos?
Yeah I can post some photos but I'm not sure how....

Thanks Lady Maelin! I got my books a few weeks ago and I love them! Sorry it took time to replay to these posts but I have been sick the last few weeks and have only just seen them!
Old Nov 1 2009, 01:07 AM   #11
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

If you have a flickr, photobucket or similiar account, you'd be able to "paste" them from there, if that helps.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 1 2009, 06:26 AM   #12
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Gold Re: Book Plates

I might have one of those programs, I'm not sure (I recently got my mum's old computor & I'm not sure of everything on here - I'll have to ask her..)

In the meantime, if you want to see a photo of the bookplate I have, go to the WYSIWYG website (I followed the link from Anne's webpage). I bought the books from them, and they have a photo posted of the bookplate I have. It has a pic of a kind of orangey dragon on it, with a little photo of Anne down the bottom.
Old Nov 1 2009, 06:34 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Flickr and Photobucket aren't programs, Samsara. They are free online services where you can upload pictres to simply using your browser. You get an online account so to speak. On the online pages they provide lines of code you simply can cut and paste into a post to have the picture you want appear (after you first have uploaded it to your online account of course).

Old Nov 1 2009, 06:39 AM   #14
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Big Grin Re: Book Plates

Oh!

Well if I didn't know that then I guess I dont have those things on my computor.. That means it will probably take me some time to work it all out. I'm not the best with on - line stuff yet... I only just worked paypal out a few days ago... hehehe
Old Nov 1 2009, 08:19 PM   #15
Becky
Coelura

And you did just fine with PayPal!

Just go to photobucket.com and register. You'll have to download the pictures to your picture file on your computer and then download to the photobucket site. Then as Hans said, copy and paste the photobucket coding. The toolbar above has several icons and one looks like a mountian picture...that's the one where you paste the image code. Just click on that icon and paste into that box, but do it when you've got a Thread or are posting a Reply.
Just give it a try....we've all been where you are. You'll probably have more help than you need.
Old Nov 1 2009, 11:20 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Samsara...take a photo or two or three of your books...load up those photos onto your computer from your camera.
Go sign up for a *Photobucket* or *Flicker* account. Hit their browse button and click on your book photo files, your account will then load up your photo.
Click on the appropriate buttons under the photos that have been loaded up and click your copy button on them.
Bring up MoM, start a thread about your newly acquired books...and paste into that thread the book photos you have choosen to share. Easy as pie...!!

I was just like you when I first found MoM...and all these lovely MoMers also helped me to be able to share my collection photos with them and a few other things as well !!!

Good Luck...I am sure you will be able to figure it all out...if I can anyone can...wink!!! It's a lot of fun learning all these things...not to mention what you can do with it later.

Can't wait to see your new books...and the start of your wonderful collection!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Nov 2 2009, 06:33 AM   #17
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Question Re: Book Plates

Okay, lets see if this works....

Here is a photo of the bookplate I got with a 1st Edition Dragonsdawn:

http://photobucket.com/Samsara13
Old Nov 2 2009, 06:39 AM   #18
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Red face Re: Book Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
Okay, lets see if this works....

Here is a photo of the bookplate I got with a 1st Edition Dragonsdawn:

http://photobucket.com/Samsara13
Right, so that didn't entirely work... Okay, so I can post a link... Cant work out how to post the actual photo...

I'm gonna need a little time to have a play and work this out...

Thanks for the help Lady Maelin.. I'm trying, but it appears that I might be a little daft.... Becky, I must be honest... I didn't totally work out paypal by myself... my mommy mighta, sorta, kinda helped me....

Hehe, Ill get there.... I think you can see all the books I bought if you follow that link, but I'll try do it better next time. Practice makes perfect???
Old Nov 2 2009, 10:42 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Samsara, it works but you pasted a link to the whole page with photo's. Nothing wrong with that but if you want to show one as a picture here, in your post copy and paste the line with cde labeled IMG.
Just copy that line and paste it in your post and you will see that the real picture appears in it and not a link!

You're doing great!

I'll make an example here for you too with the pic you wanted to show:

Old Nov 3 2009, 06:05 AM   #20
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Re: Book Plates

Okay, thanks Hans. I think I get what you mean. Lets give it a go...

Once again... the bookplate...

I think it worked!! The picture is huge though... Next thing to figure out... ... photo re-sizing
The pic is a bit grainy, especially over Anne's photo. But it's just my photography... the actuall bookplate is fine.. Once I work out the re-sizing I'll post some better photos.. At least I worked out how to post them! Thanks for all your help guys!

So question: Should I attach the bookplate to Dragonsdawn, or I should I save it for something REALLY special?
Old Nov 3 2009, 07:09 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Samsara, you can edit the photo in size in photobucket (link edit with every pic) but you can also set the size before you upload so everything you do pload will be automaticaly resized. That choice you'll find under the upload window. Advisable for bulletin boards like these is a size of 640 pixels wide.

As for where to use the bookplate... ah, so many choices! I'd personally not fix it into anything yet untill your colelction has grown some more. Maybe you'll et a chance at a signed Dragonsdawn for a steal one of these days and then where would you be?

Old Nov 3 2009, 07:45 AM   #22
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Yeah, I'm definately thinking of saving it for now.

Also good to know the preffered size of photos for posting. Thanks!

Last edited by Samsara; Nov 3 2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 5 2009, 01:59 AM   #23
Becky
Coelura

Good job! You're getting the hang of it!!
Old Nov 5 2009, 03:21 AM   #24
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Yes, I am getting the hang of it finally! Just as well, it was starting to get embarrasing...
Old Nov 5 2009, 05:00 AM   #25
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

One trick I've found when resizing in photoshop is to save the altered photo as a 'copy' rather than replacing the original. This automatically changes the file name from "...xxx.jpg" to "...xxx-1.jpg"

I found that if I posted a photo and then went and re-sized it, it still came up in the original oversized version in my post. By giving it a new 'title' (and therefore a new code) it came out right.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5 2009, 06:40 AM   #26
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Good to know. Thanks!
Old Nov 5 2009, 09:41 AM   #27
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Trust me, I know exactly how you feel. It's taken me a year to work it all out, well at least to a point where I can do basic "La-di-da's" of photos but I'm not experienced enough to go the whole hog and have it really fancy. Some, like Hans, can do really great things in Photoshop - unfortunately my "creative bent" lies elsewhere. That's okay, I can live with that.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 5 2009, 10:26 PM   #28
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Whew!
Old Nov 7 2009, 12:56 AM   #29
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Samsara....Heres your first MoM*Happy Book Dance*....
Hurray Samsara...You got it...and a whole lot quicker than I did. What a
lovely book plate, that one is one of my favorties also. Your books also
look excellent...what a lovely start to your collection.

Old Nov 7 2009, 09:45 AM   #30
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Re: Book Plates

Thanks Lady Maelin! Believe me, I am doing for my own happy dance for real over those books!!! Whilst they are my first signed copies (2 are signed on the title page), I have actually been collecting Anne's books for years. However, my collection pales in comparison to yours and some of the other collections I saw in Hans's book. Actually, it was after getting 40 Years of Pern that I decided to get even more serious about my own collection. I've just purchased a whole stack of new Pern hardcovers and done a trade recently, so my collection is growing slowly but surely! I'll post some more photos soon.
Old Nov 7 2009, 11:46 AM   #31
Hans
Master Archivist

Great to have a new serous collector!

Old Nov 7 2009, 08:13 PM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Glad to hear that you were so inspired by the
*40 Years of Pern* book. It's
great to have another serious collector join us
here....Good Luck and looking forward to more
of your book pic's.

Old Nov 7 2009, 09:18 PM   #33
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Thanks guys! It's so awesome to find you all, because I don't have anyone else at home to discuss my obsession with... My hubby is great about letting talk Pern all day and night... but he doesn't really get it...
Old Nov 8 2009, 05:22 AM   #34
Hans
Master Archivist

That sounds familiar!

Old Nov 8 2009, 05:38 AM   #35
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Wink Re: Book Plates

Oh good!
Old Nov 9 2009, 12:47 AM   #36
spacedog
Ludmilla Barchenka's Minion

Jube's got a parcel from America today but she's at work so I don't know if it's more AMC books that she was after or DS games that Junior was after.
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote