A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats

Old Jan 2 2006, 06:09 PM   #41
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: What type of Talent?

Shani I am with you, I would be a T1, to be so close, that you are in your own world so to speak with the loves of your life, mate, children and family. For a man it would be wonderful, for all the husbands out there that wanted a stronger bond with there child, you could listen in while the child was still in the womb. There is a lot of respondsibility but the enormus rewards to be had, would make it so worth it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2006, 11:12 PM   #42
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

If it's not too late to put in my two cents, I'd like to be a clairvoyant healer. I could find things, see things over great distances, and know what ailed a person and be able to fix it. I dream about being able to help people that way a lot.
Multi-Facets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2007, 08:24 PM   #43
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

ok. . . i know i'm a little late here. . . so, i apologize. i probably take this series a little too seriously as it is. one day it will be possible, i'm sure! *sigh* so, i wouldn't make it as a T-1. i'm not great at making split decisions, neither am i a firecracker, and only slightly ambitious. T-3 path/port with an extra "go-gear" would be fitting. i tend to gather strength from those around me and wouldn't mind working with a T-1.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2007, 07:17 AM   #44
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

No worries about being late. You aren't, just reviving the discussion.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2007, 07:23 AM   #45
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwina View Post
ok. . . i know i'm a little late here. . . so, i apologize. i probably take this series a little too seriously as it is. one day it will be possible, i'm sure! *sigh*
LOL I think that a fair few of us who read AMC quite often have a momentary sigh and "what if" and things over her worlds and scenarios. I know riding dragons got me through my GCSE exams, and Talent has saved me from utter boredom in more ways than one.

Besides, never apologise for liking anything too much!!!! It's great that people puzzle and think about things. That is what this entire forum is about, no????
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2007, 10:29 AM   #46
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Riding dragons got you through your GCSE's? Ehm... you do realise you will have to explain that, right?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13 2007, 02:05 AM   #47
Menderofillusions

Fan of: Freedom's, Doona, Petaybe
Now Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

I would be telekentic at maybe a T6 level... I am concidered disabled due to my back. I would like to lift stuff again. A T6 is just strong enough to do light lift work and personal use.
Menderofillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13 2007, 03:12 PM   #48
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Riding dragons got you through your GCSE's? Ehm... you do realise you will have to explain that, right?
LOL Ok. Well, firstly assuming everyone here knows what GCSEs are (if anyone doesn't, they are the exams UK 16 year olds sit - formerly known as O-Levels), the way AMC fits in is that around the time I was sitting them all, I had not long been reading her books. As a consequence of starting with DD, I concentrated on Pern first before moving on. Anyway, as I said, I started with DD and then moved onto RoP and then AtWoP.

I think the pure escapism of AtWoP sparked something in me during what is usually a pretty stressful time. I remember sitting an English exam and just sat staring out onto the tennis courts thinking that it was plenty big enough for Jaxom or F'nor to land and whisk me away to Pern to Impress.

There doesn't seem to be any emoticon for embarrassed, so let me just go with: LOL
Old Mar 13 2007, 03:44 PM   #49
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

You're not the only one that had thoughts like that, my friend, I can assure you that. I've heard many a tale along the same lines

It's amazing and wonderful what people can "lift" out of Anne's stories, many have "escaped" of some sort but I'm always pretty amazed by the stories of people that just seemed to get the strength or solace they needed at/in difficult times from her writings... incredible and wonderful!

Not only her stories are great, meeting her and being able to count her as a friend is something special yet again, let me tell you that. She is a very, very special lady with whom I've laughed and yes, dammit, almost cried and for whom I'll feel I've never done enough to repay the joy she gave me through her writing, friendship and her incredible generosity.

*sentimental old fool here...*

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14 2007, 05:43 AM   #50
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
*sentimental old fool here...*
Hans, although you are many things, foolish and old aren't amongst them!!

It's nice to know that I'm not that alone in escapism to that degree!

Although, I suppose, escapism has always played a part in what a reader gets out of Sci-fi and/or Fantasy, hasn't it? Perhaps it does so to a greater degree for the writer as well. I've always thought that writing is the best kind of self-reflective therapy that there is, and maybe writing fantasy (or sci-fi) is a very powerful way to escape every day issues?
Old Mar 15 2007, 09:14 PM   #51
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

I agree with that. I know I've thought about the multiple implications that going between might hold. No, not in a harsh way. Turning back a little time or going away at a particular moment would've been nice. (: Hey, these Alabama summers get HOT. The cold of between would feel real good.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Old Mar 23 2007, 12:29 AM   #52
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

If I couldn't ecscape into a good Pern book I would lose my mind. Last year was very tough, we lost six cat, 2 dog and an uncle. If I had not been able to read and lose myself I don't know what I would have done. I know that losing herself in a book has also helped Kibbie as well.
btw I would love to path and port mmm maybe a 4 enough so I would be able to keep track of Kibbie and be useful but not alot of the responsibility that goes along with having a stronger talent.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16 2007, 03:01 PM   #53
catscrazy3
Inactive

Fan of: Rowan series
Now Reading: Freedom's Choice
Wink Re: What type of Talent?

We all seem to be the totally absorbed readers I thought ONLY described me. Immersing ourselves in the stories and feeling that we would be able to perform the jobs of Talents any day if our minds would just cooperate. Do you ever sit reading (re-reading) the Talent books find urself trying to move some far away object in space. Maybe that's where things are actually getting moved. Here on earth we just arent able to affect things because of gravity or some concept im sure we've all thought of.

And I like to think I would be a T-1 'path and 'port with a slight bit of precog. Maybe we are all just born in the wrong time.
catscrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18 2007, 08:30 PM   #54
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Thank gosh I'm not alone, catscrazy3!
Old Apr 21 2007, 07:41 PM   #55
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

You are defently not alone.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2007, 10:55 AM   #56
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

T1 Path and Port Earth Prime. My wife always said I had a bellow like Peter Reidinger. LoL
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2007, 11:05 PM   #57
sailorchk
Inactive

Fan of: Nerilka's Story
Now Reading: Crown of Slaves by Weber/Flint

I freak my boss out enough already by telling him what will break and when....

But some telekenetic abilities with fine control for delicate work would sure help out.
sailorchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2007, 12:11 PM   #58
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Yes , my dog and I already experience the telepathic abilities. He knows what I am thinking before I have a chance to tell him. It is something we have shared since he was a wee puppy.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2007, 02:55 PM   #59
Sandi

I had a contact like that with a horse long years ago L'isa. It's a great feeling.

But as for a Talent to wish for, I'd like to have Lady Maelin's ability to discover great bargins on marvelous treasures!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2007, 03:34 AM   #60
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I had a contact like that with a horse long years ago L'isa. It's a great feeling.

But as for a Talent to wish for, I'd like to have Lady Maelin's ability to discover great bargins on marvelous treasures!
Now that would be a fine talent indeed!!
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote