A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 22 2006, 06:40 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default News from Val/Les Edwards (and answer re Dragonrider's Dawn cover/artwork)

Right, got the answer back from Val, Les Edwards wife, and it give us more news then what I asked for

Quote:
Hi Hans,

Nice to hear from you again.

Yes, you are quite right, Les did paint the DRAGONRIDERS DAWN artwork. However, he did not do MORETA'S RIDE omnibus. That was Paul Youll.

DRAGON'S FIRE artwork is already on the website and sold, but DRAGONRIDERS DAWN is not on the website yet. Les wants the whole website redesigned this year. So I do not anticipate putting any new artwork or wallpaper images on the website for several months, as the redesign will take some time to complete. However, Les will certainly put DRAGONRIDERS DAWN on the website when it is redesigned and also add the image as a wallpaper, as the McCaffrey forum have asked for it.

I showed Les the comments on his artwork from the forum, and he said how encouraging it was to see that book cover artwork was discussed almost as much as the content of the books themselves.

<snip>

Kind regards.

Val Edwards
They are a great couple and I fully agree with them that the artwork and covers are more than worth getting the attention it gets. It is ever so nice to have a bunch of collectors here that know (how) to appreciate the cover artwork

For those of you who haven't seen the full artwork for Todd's upcoming Pern book Dragon's Fire by Les, goto: www.lesedwards.com (and enjoy yourself there)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2006, 01:17 PM   #2
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass
Default Re: News from Val/Les Edwards (and answer re Dragonrider's Dawn cover/artwork)

I like that picture.

I hope that is the US cover. I don't want another cover like SOP or Dragon's Kin.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: News from Val/Les Edwards (and answer re Dragonrider's Dawn cover/artwork)

I have visited Les's site before, and it is a real treat to do so again. He is a very talented artist.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Matt, I think Les said to me earlier that he will only be doing the UK cover for Dragon's Fire as the US publisher wanted to go with another artist (might be Paul Youll, who also did Dragon's Kin).

So what you see on Les' site is the UK cover, not the US one.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 23 2006, 02:18 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Matt, this will be the US cover for Dragon's Fire

Old May 23 2006, 03:38 AM   #6
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

I believe the reason was: the different way the books are marketed on either side of the Atlantic. Although, Del-Rey did bow to pressure from fans over the cover of Dragonsblood!
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2006, 06:54 AM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

The US white stripey covers were apparently due to pressure from Barnes and Noble, which had a cockamanie idea that they'd sell better if they looked more like mainstream book covers -- despite still being shelved in the SF section with books with pretty scenic covers.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2006, 07:48 AM   #8
Jayru

Would this be the same people who thought that "Dragonseye" was a better title then Red Star Rising?
Old May 23 2006, 09:33 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Don't forget fan pressure also made Ballantine back out of the never published first dustjacket design for Skies of Pern! Made us feel real powerful

Old May 23 2006, 10:02 AM   #10
Jayru

Yes I remember that! Didn;t they use part of Les Edwards cover for the Uk Skies in the end?
Old May 23 2006, 10:08 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Yeah, only the dragon.

Would an artist be paid less if they only use part of the original painting?

Old May 23 2006, 10:11 AM   #12
Jayru

depends,

he might get a small fee for the part of the art work they used. Depends on whether his contract was with Transworld, or with Random House - if the latter, then they might be able to use the art-work on USA/UK books and only have to pay one fee - as Random House own Del-Rey and Transworld!

Might be worth asking Les who his contract is with.
Old May 23 2006, 11:13 AM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

The title change for Red Star Rising to Dragonseye was Del Rey's decision, I think, but definitely a similar silly idea.

And the artwork we scared off of Skies of Pern ended up on the new cover of Dragonquest instead.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2006, 11:18 AM   #14
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Matt, this will be the US cover for Dragon's Fire

In the vein of SOP and Dragon's Kin... Bummer. UK gets all the good covers
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2006, 01:10 AM   #15
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

BLARGH! I hate (not quite so strong as hate, but I highly prefer Les's) the US cover! It's so bland. Any chance they might do a switcheroo like with DB and we get the pretty cover too? Because there is no way in hell I'm buying a book which I don't have high hopes for to begin with, which also has a crap cover. There has to be SOME redeeming feature... I gues I'll just have to order from the UK then

And Thanks for posting the Info, Hans!
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2006, 02:42 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

No, I don't think we'd have much chance. Book is due early July, isn't it? And with it being almost end of May already... If we had wanted to protest we should have done so much earlier.

There's nothing to do about it, Spiff. You'll need to buy the "foreign" one. Luckily it's in a language you speak and understand

Old May 24 2006, 03:52 AM   #17
Jayru

Quote:
No, I don't think we'd have much chance. Book is due early July, isn't it? And with it being almost end of May already... If we had wanted to protest we should have done so much earlier.

There's nothing to do about it, Spiff. You'll need to buy the "foreign" one. Luckily it's in a language you speak and understand
Dragon's Fire is due out in the USA on the 11 July. It's due out in the UK 3 weeks later (unless the scheduel changes), on 1 August.

I agree with Hans, I think it's unlikely they would change the cover at this stage (Del-Rey that is, on the USA edition). Even if they agreed to do so, it would delay the book coming out by several months, which would mean the Uk would get the book first...

Hang on, what I am saying - GO FOR IT!!!! I'll even help with the campaign!!!!!!!

Old May 24 2006, 08:59 AM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Nope, I'd like two different covers, thank you

Old May 24 2006, 10:22 AM   #19
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Quote:
Nope, I'd like two different covers, thank you
Now why does that not surprise me???
Old May 25 2006, 05:23 AM   #20
Jayru

I had to try...

Two covers is cool
Old May 25 2006, 11:32 AM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattv2099
In the vein of SOP and Dragon's Kin... Bummer. UK gets all the good covers
I kind of like the Dragon on the front, I do wish we had the more artistic cover like the one from England though ( Les Edwards covers are lovely).

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote