A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Apr 28 2011, 04:07 PM   #281
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment
Default Re: Well. they are making the movie.

True enough.

Though my opinion of Covers like that is unprintable. Some of them are pretty dire.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2011, 05:44 PM   #282
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

Huh, I can only find references to her hair as 'dark', but not a color, at least not in the first trilogy. Wonder why McCaffrey never used another descriptor.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11 2011, 09:25 PM   #283
Journeyman Smith Mugsy
Crafter

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Dragonquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizz View Post
For some reason, Lessa is stuck in my head as a blonde…
I thought I was the only one! Even though I know she's always described in the book with dark hair...my mental image is over her as blonde. Might be due to an older cover version from when I first read DF? Not sure.

On the opposite spectrum, Kylara is always in my mind with black hair...even though I know she is blonde.
Journeyman Smith Mugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2011, 12:19 PM   #284
hippiechyck
Threadbait

Fan of: Pern..Harper Hall Trilogy
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn

i've always has Lessa=dark curly hair in my head...never blonde

i just assumed the blondes on the covers were other queen riders

yes, thankfully Disney did not buy it!

the really big question (after director) is casting...someone mentioned England? is Copperwhaever a Brit company? i'm so bad on Brit actors
hippiechyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2011, 06:56 PM   #285
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

I've always seen her as a shortish, dark haired woman, and Robin Wood's painting of her in The People Of Pern solidified that image - as well as how she was drawn in the Graphic Novel.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Jun 18 2011, 06:58 PM   #286
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiechyck View Post

yes, thankfully Disney did not buy it!

the really big question (after director) is casting...someone mentioned England? is Copperwhaever a Brit company? i'm so bad on Brit actors
They're Canadian I think.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2011, 10:16 PM   #287
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiechyck View Post

I think Brekke was the dark-curly-haired one, though for some reason I picture her as a rather chunky blonde in the later books.

Lessa had long dark hair which she usually wore in braids (so it would be wavy when she brushed it out).
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2011, 07:46 AM   #288
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by semantre View Post
Huh, I can only find references to her hair as 'dark', but not a color, at least not in the first trilogy. Wonder why McCaffrey never used another descriptor.
Well dark could mean black or at the very least, a deep chocolate-y brown coloured hair.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2011, 11:05 AM   #289
hippiechyck
Threadbait

Fan of: Pern..Harper Hall Trilogy
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn

so, will it be like Potter and only Brit actors? i need to brush up!
hippiechyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19 2011, 02:50 PM   #290
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

Funnily enough, my first mental image of Lessa was actually strawberry blonde for... some reason. Actually I have no idea. Now she's got really dark brown hair in my mind Has for years.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2011, 10:31 AM   #291
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

'Dark', as a stand alone term in literary descriptions of hair, generally means either brown or black. It doesn't even have to be a really dark brown, so long as it is distinctly not blond. It's one of those catch-all phrases that I've seen authors use when they don't have a firm concept of what they want the hair color to be, they want some wiggle room on specifying the color later depending on how the story fleshes out, or they don't care about/don't want to write about something that specific in their descriptions. 'Dark' tells you it isn't blond, and that's all some people care about.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2011, 04:43 PM   #292
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

I always thought of her as having wavy dark brown hair. I just can not picture her as a blonde.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2011, 09:04 PM   #293
Brenda

I always picture it as very dark brown - almost black.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2011, 12:27 PM   #294
Loiosh
Slither

Fan of: Ruth
Now Reading: Dragongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
And it's not like the owner of the property gets to pick (unless you're Joanne Rowling or *gag* Stephenie Meyer and even THEY didn't have even close to total creative control.) The production company has to want to buy the rights, and the director/producer has to want to do it. I think it's a pretty easy call for Peter Jackson--hm, "The Hobbit", one of the most beloved books of all time and a prequel to his most fantastically successful Oscar-winning movie project EVER, or...a book about dragons from 1968 with a devoted but fairly small following that runs the risk of competing with the sequel to a popular animated dragon movie in theaters?
Peter also has his hands on the Temeraire series. It was planned that he would roll into a Producer slot on the TV series development after finishing The Lovely Bones. He ended up having to take up Hobbit as director.

My concern is with funding. E1 Films, Dark Heroes and Copperheart Entertainment are all small (Indy) production houses/distributors. Ideally the best production designers (Practical: Weta Workshop, Digital: Weta Digital, ILM, etc) would be afforded, plus a good director. You'd want someone with literary translation talent like Alfonso Cuarón or Andrew Adamson to take the director's chair.

The worst would be if they pick bad a production team or director. That would be similar to happened to The Golden Compass where an inexperienced director (Chris Weitz) was rolled in. The result was a thematic mess which completely killed a lot of fantasy genre films in development much like Dragonheart did years ago. If you're curious why Temeraire is being considered as a TV series instead of a film, Golden Compass and Dragonheart are why.

If I had to pick a director for Dragonflight, I'd chose either Cuarón or Chris Sanders (Lilo and Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon). For producer, I'd want Bonnie Arnold (Toy Story, Over the Hedge, How to Train Your Dragon), and for production, I'd want Richard Taylor (Weta Workshop).

Truthfully, I cannot imagine a better production house than Weta. They would flesh out all of the pieces (dragons harnesses, marks, Hold and Weyr artwork) so beautifully.
Loiosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2011, 02:21 PM   #295
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiosh View Post
Peter also has his hands on the Temeraire series. It was planned that he would roll into a Producer slot on the TV series development after finishing The Lovely Bones. He ended up having to take up Hobbit as director.

My concern is with funding. E1 Films, Dark Heroes and Copperheart Entertainment are all small (Indy) production houses/distributors. Ideally the best production designers (Practical: Weta Workshop, Digital: Weta Digital, ILM, etc) would be afforded, plus a good director. You'd want someone with literary translation talent like Alfonso Cuarón or Andrew Adamson to take the director's chair.

The worst would be if they pick bad a production team or director. That would be similar to happened to The Golden Compass where an inexperienced director (Chris Weitz) was rolled in. The result was a thematic mess which completely killed a lot of fantasy genre films in development much like Dragonheart did years ago. If you're curious why Temeraire is being considered as a TV series instead of a film, Golden Compass and Dragonheart are why.

If I had to pick a director for Dragonflight, I'd chose either Cuarón or Chris Sanders (Lilo and Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon). For producer, I'd want Bonnie Arnold (Toy Story, Over the Hedge, How to Train Your Dragon), and for production, I'd want Richard Taylor (Weta Workshop).

Truthfully, I cannot imagine a better production house than Weta. They would flesh out all of the pieces (dragons harnesses, marks, Hold and Weyr artwork) so beautifully.
And with the success of Game of Thrones on HBO, it is likely that more fantasy / sci-fi will go the route of TV.

HBO/Showtime would also solve the problem of how to handle the mature subject of the mating flights.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2011, 02:50 PM   #296
Loiosh
Slither

Fan of: Ruth
Now Reading: Dragongirl

Sadly that is not in the cards for Pern. I'll be curious to see which one spins up first, The Dragonriders of Pern movie, or Temeraire the TV series?

According to the last press release I read, Pern was to start production in 2012. Still no director though :/
Loiosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2011, 01:20 AM   #297
Tamara Henson
Golden Flier

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey

According to this site http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/d...lm-adaptation/ screenwriter David Hayter (who wrote Watchmen & X-Men) is set to adapt the Dragonflight for the movie. At least they picked a passable writer (I liked Watchman, the X-man movies not so much). No word on the Director yet.
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2011, 01:58 PM   #298
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Did he do X-Men and X2: X-Men United or..the OTHER ones?
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2011, 02:35 PM   #299
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

The first two I think.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18 2011, 04:24 AM   #300
elvenart
Curlycorn

Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

I have to agree with many of the comments on here ( and pardon some of the off-topic comments, as they pertain to earlier ones). First, i know that the Pern movie is going to be different from the books, but I don't entirely agree that that must be so. I can see a few minor changes, but any major ones will rankle a bit. Will still see it, though.
I agree that Weta should be the shop used, as they certainly proved their mettle with the LotR movies and PJ's constant additions and all. There is no better solution in my mind, niot even Lucasarts or ILM.
I'm not sure who I would get to direct the movie, though, as so many of the movies that have come out have been total rubbish, from both the writer's end and the director's end of things. It's like all common sense and all decent thought processes went out the window years ago. The way I see things, the writers may have the opposite problem from LotR, and not have ENOUGH material in one novel, instead of too much and having to REALLY pare it down. Still...
As for some earlier comments on LotR, I had never heard of JRR Tolkien or TLotR before the movies, and my wife had never read them before the first trailers came out. I still have not read them, but she has literally worn a full set of novels out reading them in the past years. So, in that respect, TLotR movies accomplished one task of bringing the books to the attention of those who knew nothing of them. I know there were many changes made, and PJ and the writers did explain why many were done, though not all, from needing to cut for time to needing to cut back to focus on the main story, which to them was Frodo and the ring. I don't ENTIRELY begrudge them the changes, though a few do bother me from my wife's descriptions of the changes (Faramir is foremost). But, all in all, the trilogy is one of my favorite series of movies, up with Star Wars and other SF/Fantasy greats. And the fact that Christopher Lee (as Sauromon - probably misspelled, I know), who KNEW Tolkien, has given his seal of approval, goes quite a long way to recommending the movies, in my book.
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18 2011, 07:04 PM   #301
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

It can work that way elvenart, and if it does, it's a good thing. Getting people to read classics like LoTR and The Hobbit is definitely an excellent side benefit of making movies out of them. Sometimes that even works if the movie is absolute crap.

The thing I worry about though is also that - the movie can be crap - After seeing how Verhoven and, earlier, De Laurentis can butcher classic Sci-Fi novels when taking them to film, I worry about them doing the same to other classics - expecially with Hollyweirds current trend towards 'Flash Bang BOOM!!' blockbusters.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Jul 18 2011, 08:41 PM   #302
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I have to stand up for Hollywood. There have been some wonderful, breathtaking, groundbreaking and fabulous films out of that town. I won't even begin to make a list of some of my favorites. I took half a dozen film courses in college. One semester was devoted entirely to Alfred Hitchcock. Another went to Orson Welles. A third was spent studying horror/monster films (going way back to a really old version of the vampire story called Nosferatu). Not all the films we studied were made in Hollywood - but not ALL the films that come out of there, even now, are crap! End minor rant!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2011, 04:55 AM   #303
elvenart
Curlycorn

Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

The reason I said so muchthat has come out recently is rubbish, is because it seems that more and more you have a hard time getting a seriousrendition of things. Many of the remakes of older movies feel that they need to chang up the story from the original drastically. That goes for remakes of movies to renditions of books. Prime example- the Green Hornet movie. Seth decided to try turning it into a comedy (which he apparently knows nothing about) when the original series was meant to be serious. And the things that are being passed off as comedy now are nothing more than stupidity with very little else. And then the fact that they portray such things as going out and getting drunk and not knowing what you did the next day, or other things that should never be, as good film material and funny is absurd.If I wanted to hear about such idiocy, I would talk to my co-workers, who think it's so great to get so drunk that they pass out or do worse and don't remember it or smoke weed all night or some such. This is what I see coming out of Hollywood for the most part nowadays. True, there are some great movies to come out_ Avatar, True Grit (which I thought was a good remake of the original), and others- but for the most part I end up wondering where the writers get their ideas and the directors get their money. I just am very disappointed with most of the movies that have come out in the last 10 years or so. So it makes it hard to pic a good director or writing crew for me, let alone actors and actresses, as I have not been too enamored of a whole lot of them, either. Still, hope springs eternal for a good version of the Pern movie. For what is there without hope?
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2011, 10:12 AM   #304
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

*snort* Avatar? Aka "Strawman Has A Point: The Movie"?

Movie studios make what sells. That's where they get their ideas. Major motion picture companies have to spend millions to put out major feature films. They want some guarantee they're going to at least come close to breaking even. Is it art? No. Does the average movegoer WANT art? Apparently not.

And sci fi/fantasy has its own special brand of problem when being adapted for the big screen--look at all the people who are allegedly Star Trek fans whose response to the 2009 movie was "BRING ME THE HEAD OF J.J. ABRAMS". (It was a good movie. Get over yourselves. Half the original cast is dead, most of TNG's cast is getting up there, and the other series aren't popular enough to warrant a movie.) Comic-book fans are worse. Heck, there are LOTR fans who think it's RUINED FOREVER because of the movie, despite the movie going overboard in being faithful where feasible, and the fact that making a word for word adaptation would mean the first film alone would make "Napoleon" look like a short subject. With a book series with a following that, in the grand scheme of things, is miniscule, the object is "adapt it in a way non-fans [the overwhelming bulk of the audience] can enjoy."
Old Jul 20 2011, 01:52 PM   #305
Brenda

If you want to see a really good movie, go see Super 8. In the theater. It is so worth the money.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2011, 06:48 PM   #306
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Well, if that were the case Anareth, at least PJ would be employed for till well past retirement age.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Sep 6 2011, 11:58 AM   #307
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

What was Todd's update about the movie at DragonCon? I had to help my wife in the Dealer's Hall all weekend, and I didn't get a chance to make it to the panel.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2011, 04:57 PM   #308
LadyDeerskin
Rocksquat

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern

what i would like to know from that con is if he said anything about changing his sick writing style, with all the porn with underage children/threesomes, the killing off of characters he has built up for us to like, and all the other disasters his books have become. i havent bought the newest....the last was the last for me, till i hear he is changing his tune.

where the hell is his mother, during all this? has she feelings about what he is doing to her beautiful world?
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2011, 05:19 PM   #309
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

This panel was full and I got turned away when I got there Would love this answer too.
kindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2011, 01:41 PM   #310
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Oh, for crying out loud, if they're post-pubescent they're not children. If you're over 14 in most cultures you're old enough to reproduce. His mother did her level best to slip gay sex into books under the radar (well before it was acceptable) and has romance-novel scenes that amount to date rape. I doubt a threesome is seriously going to break her brain somehow.

As for killing characters we like, what's the point of killing ones we hate? That's no fun. (Not that I actually LIKE most of Todd's characters.) Actually, I'd prefer to have some vague idea who they ARE before he kills them off. No one cares if the guy you introduced two pages ago, R'ed and his dragon Sh'irth, are zapped.
Old Sep 8 2011, 09:46 PM   #311
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Anareth, I agree with you. In a plauge some times the good people loose.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2011, 10:22 PM   #312
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Sep 9 2011, 01:15 AM   #313
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

Let's get back to the topic here, which is a potential Pern movie. Not every thread needs to be dedicated to whether one likes/dislikes Todd's stories. As a person who was at D*C and missed the panel, I'd still love to know what the thoughts on the movie were.
Old Sep 9 2011, 04:28 AM   #314
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Oh honestly.

Some people need to take their rose-tinted spectacles off. Firstly, how about some tolerance? Your Kink Is Not My Kink BUT THAT'S OKAY, as they say. And second, look to Anne if there are elements of Todd's novels you don't like, because she's just as guilty of those ones. Wirenth dies, Moreta dies, Alianne and Chereth die, Robinton dies, Nerilka walks into the prospect of a loveless marriage, Brekke gets date-raped, flight-orgies are a fact of life, threesomes/moresomes are implied heavily in Dragonseye as well as elsewhere, Golanth is crippled (and Tai and F'lessan have real challenges ahead there), and life really, really sucks to be a drudge. On top of that, C'gan and his dragon died, Dave Caterel was traumatised, Helva was sense-deprived, Damia over-sexualised, Tai and Lessa get brutalised, Sascha's character got paedophiled, and Laria de-homo-ed a lovely guy.

And tent pegs. Don't every forget the tentpegs, or the pheromone-based gaydar.

I'm happy to criticise Todd's writing when his characterisation gets a little Sue-ish or when he brings in non-sensical plot ideas (Raptors? Hello?), but if his writing is the metaphorical black kettle, Anne's is a whole kitchen full of pots.

In short: Dual standards are bad.

In long: Bring on the HBO adaption. Because THEN, oh boy, there won't be enough so-called porn in the books to fill the channel's nudity count. And they'll just have to write in even more. Movies? Nah, the movie industry is way too prudish. BRING ON THE MINISERIES! I want my Pr3n TV!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2011, 08:32 AM   #315
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I agree with Kath. Also it would be boring if bad thing only happened to bad people.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2011, 09:07 AM   #316
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I agree with Kath. Also it would be boring if bad thing only happened to bad people.
It says a lot that one of my favourite authors is Lois McMaster Bujold - her poor characters have to put up with an author whose golden rule is "What's the worst thing I can do to these characters, that they can learn from?"

Make them suffer, and then watch them GROW!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2011, 04:15 PM   #317
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I also agree with Kath. Books in which everyone's life is happy and perfect and no one dies would be boring.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2011, 05:59 PM   #318
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Well in Dragonseye/Red Star Rising, the pairing, is for 'stand in' for female green riders and the problem with some of the relationships, on to handle it.

They are yes together, but having a way to ride out the problem of 'green's riding to mate, while they are still, wyerlings, info from a wyer-bred view, to say a holder/crafter view

Dave Caterel, was changed by his Impression of his bronze dragons, and his bond with the fire lizards, even with what happen to him during the First Fall

Rill is 'loved in her own way', and something about her, daugtor named after Moreta, something that bring happyness to them
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2011, 09:09 PM   #319
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Oh, I would love HBO or Showtime to get their hands on it. Hours more time than a movie, better effects than old-fashioned cable plus far fewer restrictions on content. They've totally ruined me for regular television.
Old Sep 10 2011, 05:24 PM   #320
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Does sound like something HBO could handle, but I don't have either that channel or Showtime anymore so I'd have to wait til it came out on DVD...

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote