A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

View Poll Results: Should Todd's work be considered canon?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! 27 26.47%
ABSOLUTELY YES!!! 30 29.41%
Only some of it. 14 13.73%
Not without a LOT of work and better explanations. 31 30.39%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 14 2011, 07:18 PM   #241
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern
Default Re: Should Todd's books be considered canon?

no, that doctor, who was such a fan she had Whelan art as her PC screensaver, there in her office, was quite scornful of the "MasterHarper", saying that it was Todd's work, that Anne hadn't written for years because she was 'a complete lush'.

all i can say is, if Masterharper was Todd's work, i wish to Go d he would go back to that quality of work. or perhaps it was good because he mom was keeping watch on his work, making sure he held to her high quality standards. he certainly has no where near her talent (Talent? ^_^) with stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
Maybe the doctor means she herself, the doctor, had a drinking problem, and reading Anne's books made her not want to drink, so Anne had better keep writing?
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22 2011, 09:13 PM   #242
Analog6
Inactive

Fan of: Restoree
Now Reading: Anya Seton: Katherine

I have to say I didn't think much of Todd's efforts, I found them rambling, not very well written, with errors, and I really found them hard going. I have sold them all on ebay and won't be buying any more. He is just not the writer his mother was and I think series books should be allowed to die a decent death when the author chooses to stop writing.

If he has not got enough imagination to create his OWN worlds, as his mother has done so successfully, then go do something else. This is all just IMHO of course, I realise others may like them and disagree.
Analog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25 2011, 04:34 PM   #243
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

2cent Re: Should Todd's books be considered canon?

Todd *could* carry on the series, but he would have to stay closer to his mom's well established, beloved story line format. (i was very suprised to hear that "Masterharper" was his work, and not hers, and it proves he CAN do a good job). but one thing he absolutely must get off is this new twisted sex aspect he has added, with the last book in particular. i found it disgusting and immoral, and i dont care what anyone else says about what i think. im sure there are many, many other readers out there, just as disgusted.

for myself, i likely will go on buying and reading them-there is enough worthwhile content to do so. but i also have bought one of those new rubber stamps that blacks out addresses, and i censor my books. in that way, i can enjoy reading without having his perverted morals shoved down my throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
I have to say I didn't think much of Todd's efforts, I found them rambling, not very well written, with errors, and I really found them hard going. I have sold them all on ebay and won't be buying any more. He is just not the writer his mother was and I think series books should be allowed to die a decent death when the author chooses to stop writing.

If he has not got enough imagination to create his OWN worlds, as his mother has done so successfully, then go do something else. This is all just IMHO of course, I realise others may like them and disagree.
Old Apr 25 2011, 05:33 PM   #244
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I've read one. The first one he supposedly co-wrote with Anne about the watchwhers. I haven't been interested to buy any others.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25 2011, 06:47 PM   #245
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

thats one of the things i happen to like about his books...he's taken an overlooked creature of Anne's, and did something interesting with it.

what worries me is that he seems addicted to plagues, worse than his mom. its become a much overused plot device, and is ruining the books with building up then killing off characters we come to love. does anyone here think that AMCs books would be as loved and have as long a shelf life, read by generations, if she had killed off even a tiny fraction of characters she had built up to be loved by readers? i seriously doubt it. the variety of characters, from Lessa and Flar, Robinton, Brekke and Fnor...they all carried the books onward, bringing us with them through their lives and adventures, through tears and happiness. the way Todd is going at it, he builds up a character, human or dragon, imbues it with a personality that attracts the reader. said reader is eager to read more about their faves, and buy the next book....only to find they are dead/dying/etc. what incentive is there then for the reader to buy more books written by Todd? little or none. in my family, my daughter wont touch anything that has his name on it-she loves people like Robinton, and knowing he will be there in the books, to help out everyone. she has read "All The Weyrs", and cried at his death, but at the same time, could accept it, since he was very old, and had had a full and wonderful life. Todd doesnt give his characters enough time to have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I've read one. The first one he supposedly co-wrote with Anne about the watchwhers. I haven't been interested to buy any others.

Last edited by LadyDeerskin; Apr 25 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old Apr 25 2011, 11:56 PM   #246
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDeerskin View Post
Todd *could* carry on the series, but he would have to stay closer to his mom's well established, beloved story line format. (i was very suprised to hear that "Masterharper" was his work, and not hers, and it proves he CAN do a good job).
<SNIP>
Is it in fact true that "Masterharper" was Todd's work? Anne's name is on the cover, and Todd's name isn't in the Acknowledgements. Same applies to Skies of Pern, which was written later.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26 2011, 12:35 AM   #247
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I would not be surprised if Todd had a lot of input. (And if there was a lot of editorial meddling with Skies to boot, as it's just not well-constructed and isn't really like much of Anne's older work.)

I don't mind killing off characters, but there has to be a REASON besides "Let's shake things up!" If it's a crapsack world, like Westeros (A Song of Ice and Fire), yes, sunshine and rainbows and everybody lives would be stupid. But Todd offs characters we've barely met just...'cause.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26 2011, 12:55 AM   #248
Sandi

I think that doctor was most likely telling more than she knows. People do that alot where famous people are concerned. Reasons range from trying to sound important to having an axe to grind.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26 2011, 10:13 AM   #249
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

i cant remember who said it, but it was someone either here or athe Kitchen Table forum who named the books that were mostly Todd's work, but with his mother's name on them. "Masterharper" was one of them. so im not just basing it on what that loony doctor said (...i say that, because she was a lousy MD...convinced i had all kinds of diseases that i had no signs of, but test results always showed i was fine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
Is it in fact true that "Masterharper" was Todd's work? Anne's name is on the cover, and Todd's name isn't in the Acknowledgements. Same applies to Skies of Pern, which was written later.

Eriflor.
Old Apr 26 2011, 11:52 PM   #250
Eriflor

Did this person have a valid reason for saying that these books were written by Todd --- such as a statement by Anne, or a printout from one of those literary computer programs that compares the writing in the named books with Anne's earlier books and anything written by Todd?

The fact that two people say the same thing doesn't make it true.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27 2011, 12:06 AM   #251
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Re: Should Todd's books be considered canon?

hm, this was some years ago, right after the "MasterHarper" had come out. i had an appointment with that doctor, and had taken the book with me to read...more fun than the months old magazines that clutter doctor offices. when she saw it, after my exam she started talking about all the Cons she goes to. we live in northeast Kansas, and i honestly dont have a clue where any cons are held around here or elsewhere. but she claimed she had heard it from AMC, that Todd had done a lot of the writing, with her 'looking over his shoulder'. i believe something to this effect is also in a note from her in a book, which, i dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
Did this person have a valid reason for saying that these books were written by Todd --- such as a statement by Anne, or a printout from one of those literary computer programs that compares the writing in the named books with Anne's earlier books and anything written by Todd?

The fact that two people say the same thing doesn't make it true.
Old May 7 2011, 03:17 AM   #252
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Angry Re: Should Todd's books be considered canon?

This is mostly from the solo works, <div id='kindleReaderDiv14'></div><script type='text/javascript' src='http://kindleweb.s3.amazonaws.com/app/KindleReader-min.js'></script><script>KindleReader.LoadSample({containerI D: 'kindleReaderDiv14', asin: 'B0015DWLW6', width: '771', height: '376', assoctag: 'Emily Boll of war-orn Tau Ceti'});</script>
For she was governer of First

Sean and Sorka childern http://www.amazon.com/Dragonsblood-P...der_0345441257

The last to be born, 'Wee Sorka' not I'm mis reading/hearing/communication wrong, in
The chronicles of Pern: First Fall: The Ford of Red Hanhan By Anne McCaffrey
Ezremil was just born, not unless he either died or change his name, at my inable to say what I want to say!
http://books.google.com/books?id=oNo...zremil&f=false
and http://books.google.com/books?id=LXv...0Sorka&f=false twice posted names from Todd work
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 04:32 AM   #253
elvenart
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

In my opinion, Todd's works do NOT count as canon. Now, I did enjoy Masterharper of Pern (IF he had a hand in that), but it is true that it felt different from Anne's other works. However, I tried reading a couple of the ones that DO credit him as the author, but it felt like slogging through mud as to the writing of the stories. I liked the idea of focusing on the watchwhers in the one novel, but to me that was his only redeeming work of the lot. Admittedly, I have only read a couple of his books, and it has been quite some time ago and only once, but I did not enjoy the books at all. I didn't like how he maimed a character only to make it so that that dragon shows a "new" ability (levitation? which never before manifested, no matter how much damage a dragon took?), and if he DOES kill off characters or maim them with the frequency that a previous poster claimed he does in the books I have decided to pass over, I am glad I didn't read them. That smacks too much of the whole "New Jedi Order" series of Star Wars novels, where they just started killing characters left and right, new and long-standing. Chewie kind of made sense, though I didn't like it, but the list I read of all the deaths and upheavals was downright stupid.

Not only does Todd not have his mothers knack for writing Pern novels, he takes far too many liberties and makes far too many changes. I say, he needs to leave his mother's world for her (no matter HOW much I wish she would write more of it), and find his own world to play in. He's fouling up Pern with his take on things, even if I DID like Masterharper.
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 09:13 PM   #254
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

If you think killing Chewie was annoying, you ought to hear the justification for Anakin Solo dying...(Though had he not, he and Jacen would have swapped plots.)

I don't mind offing characters, provided everyone around them REACTS normally. Dragonsblood did me in because of how riders behaved after losing their dragons. It would have been like Chewie dying, and Han being like, "Oh, well. How's Tahiri doing?"
Old Jun 1 2011, 10:12 AM   #255
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Yeah, and that exceprt of Dragon's Time isn't filling me with confidence either. I found the poorly handled reactions of riders to the loss of their dragons triggering enough after my miscarriages. The thought of reading how Todd handles Lorana losing a baby isn't something I relish.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2011, 04:24 PM   #256
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

I'll save you some time: Wangst wangst wangst and then characters talking in riddles despite there being no in-character reason for them to do.
Old Jun 2 2011, 07:29 AM   #257
elvenart
Inactive

Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

When it comes to Star Wars, I pretty much stopped reading anything that happens from the beginning of the Yuzhon Vong (misspelled?) invasion onward. And most of the other novels that have come out have not been worth the time it took to read their jackets for the synopsis. As I read when Chewie died, the author basically said that the SW universe needed to have a shake-up. The same characters were always there, always together. And on top of that, they were seriously getting pretty old. So it made sense to kill off one of the central characters to fulfill the requirements. And when they thought about it, they felt that Chewie was the most logical choice to make the sacrifice. And, I agreed, reluctantly, with their reasoning and choice. I also felt that the way they did it was well-written and everyone's consequent responses were handled well. But from that point on, it just turned into a free-for-all on who was getting axed or what world was wiped out or some-such. There was no more rhyme or reason, other than to kill someone or something.
As for Todd's handling of Pern, the less known the better, I say. I don't even remember the names of the riders and dragons from the instance I gave, the loss of wing just to gain levitation, but if I recall correctly, the rider's response was less than heartbreaking. Basically 'Oh, god! He can't fly ,now. What are we going to do? Oh, I know, lets try this and if it doesn't work we can always find something to do.' And that was it, realy, in a nutshell. As far as I can recall.
Now, when Anne killed Robinton, that still wrenches my guts, no matter how many times I've read it. She knows how to handle the goings-on around the death, as well as people's responses and reasons and actions. It really hurt when I first read of his death, however, her reasons were similar to the author who killed Chewie, in a way. It filled a role, and as the oldest main character (with the notable exception of D'ram), He made the most sense to have die, while leaving the core characters pretty much alone and in a reasonable enough state to carry on without him. As much as they may not have felt so, they were able to go on without his input, and she could have written more in their stories if she wanted, whereas if someone like F'lar or Jaxom or Sebell or someone like that was to die off at that point, it could have so easily stalled out the whole series without some serious fancy footwork. Her handling of that was masterful, whereas Todd is fairly blundering and amateurish.

Last edited by elvenart; Jun 2 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: addition
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2011, 12:17 PM   #258
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Bob Salvatore did not make the decision. He just drew the short straw and was told to kill Chewbacca off (for that reason, but I can assure the LFL authors have very little say about decisions regarding movie characters--those have to come from on high and something like offing Chewie required George himself to have signed off.) I give him HUGE leeway, as he's flat-out said if he'd known what would happen he'd have turned down the book. He actually got DEATH THREATS from fans because of it. The reasoning was the central cast needed a shakeup, and you've got the reason it was Chewie (beyond the central trio being off-limits for death, he's the hardest to use in books) but the decision came down from LFL itself. And future authors have been leery of killing anyone from the films since--no one wants to be the next one the fans hate. So don't expect much in the way of that again.

However I give him and Troy Denning huge props for having a sense of humor to the point of attending a "seance" for characters killed in NJO. (Though we accidentally raised Anakin Skywalker by mistake. Really, who'd get Anakin Skywalker and Anakin Solo confused? Except Lucas Licensing...)

If anything I think Anne could have used some more death. She tends to wuss out. Really, the logical ending of DQ would have killed F'nor. Yeah, unpleasant. But it's unsatisfying the way it is (and it's not like he ever serves any plot-necessary purpose ever again.) I suspect Moreta only ends the way it does (beautifully) because it's a foregone conlcusion thanks to the HHT having largely spelled out the plot of Moreta's Ride. Robinton was old and had hit a point where his only plot utility was how others would react to his death. There wasn't really anywhere else to go with him. F'lar's actually approaching that point, especially since Jaxom swiped the "lead the erradication of Thread" plot out from under him.

Todd, it's not so much I mind characters dying, it's that I don't learn enough about them to give a crap (or learn enough to know that's the better way), and that it happens too often to have any impact. Plus other characters barely seem to notice. Plus I've hit plot fatigue with the OMG NOT ENOUGH DRAGONS story. Somehow, in Moreta's time and F'lar's, they MANAGED. Is it just this point in Pernese history they're all completely useless and need a teenage Scooby Gang to save the day?
Old Jun 6 2011, 07:12 AM   #259
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Is it just this point in Pernese history they're all completely useless and need a teenage Scooby Gang to save the day?
*gasp* Gawd Anareth I'm sooooo glad I read that before my breakfast or I'd have lost a monitor/keyboard
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2011, 05:34 PM   #260
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Thumbs up Re: Should Todd's books be considered canon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
*gasp* Gawd Anareth I'm sooooo glad I read that before my breakfast or I'd have lost a monitor/keyboard
Second I about had, a mouth ful out, too, but and that is just what I needed,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2011, 10:03 PM   #261
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Thanks Anareth, you made our day.

I had to sit and clap before I could make a reply back.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2011, 01:23 PM   #262
hippiechyck
Inactive

Fan of: Pern..Harper Hall Trilogy
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris View Post
I have nothing against Todd writing Pern, but I would just like him to do it in a way that fits more into the rest of them.

yes, this...i did not enjoy HIS books as much as the ones he co-wrote

i think Anne holds the canon...
hippiechyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2014, 09:11 AM   #263
scendera
Threadbait

Fan of: Pern, Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
Of course, the style of Todd's writing is so different from Anne's... All Anne's stories, even "Moreta", are full of optimism. This I like very much in her books. The same words I wouldn't say about Todd's. Pernese are so tired, unhappy and helpless in his stories.
I'm going to admit to some degree of shame that I liked Dragonsblood. It felt like Pern, in spite of the mistakes and Mary Sue issues. I know that's not a popular opinion, but...

Dragon's Kin came across as decent fanfiction. Not fantastic, I've read much better from Kath and D. M. Domini. They could have been passed off as actual McCaffrey much easier than Todd, generally. Slytherinsal makes no attempt to copy Anne's tone, and instead has a very enjoyable tone of her own that feels a bit Harry Potterish. (It works, seriously!)

Everything post-Dragonsblood felt like a rushed, frenzied mess that ushers the reader from plot point to plot point in a distant, almost brutal manner.

Don't get me wrong...Sky Riders in particular had some enjoyable wish fulfillment. I was delighted to met Xhinnia and Tazith! To see greens clutching!

Still, it wasn't enough to counter the absolutely frenetic pace.

Another fic I followed, and I've actually blanked on who wrote it, was purely OC in a prior pass. It had it all. Bad stuff happening, chaos with dragons, an egomaniacal brute of a Weyrleader who D'gan would have stared at in utter awe, convoluted timing and a lot of badness from it, intraweyr conflict and politics, everything.

The pacing was absolutely perfect. There was a lot happening, particularly in the last couple of chapters, but the pacing was magnificent. Each horror stood in it's own moment to be taken in and processed, rather than a numbing torrent that drowns you.

The final deaths had so MUCH impact in spite of the utter crapstorm that had caused them. Todd could stand to read and learn...
scendera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2014, 07:13 PM   #264
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

That sounds a lot like Regicide. If not, Faye Upton's Dragonchoice novels also feature scheming, politics, some timing, the odd murder and arguably better prose.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2014, 10:03 PM   #265
Kit
Muskie

I actually like a lot of what Todd added to the canon, in terms of basic Pern knowledge and dynamics. That is, things like green dragons being able to clutch, and clutch all colors, female blueriders, a sickness that affects dragons, and the way watchwhers act and are Impressed. (There is a popular trend in Pern roleplays of having whers speak in third-person caveman sentences, and it annoys me so much. It doesn't make any sense with the rest of canon.)

His characters and plotlines on the other hand, and his style of writing in general, do not impress me. Like other people have said, there are plenty of fanfics that do it better. I also hate the whole thing with the Seer. No. Just no.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18 2014, 01:00 PM   #266
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

You'll find just as many discrepancies or more between Anne's own books. Todd at least keeps a better consistency between those he's worked on. They were also blessed by Anne at the very least so there's that too. They're quick, enjoyable reads if one isn't going out trying to look for flaws.