A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 15 2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Inside Ruatha Hold...

While reading once again the *WHite Dragon*... Anne writes a brief discription of the inside of Ruatha Hold.
What do you think you would see on that main floor, coming into the hold from the Great Hold Doors...try to imagine you are there with the group that came to see Jaxom and Ruth's first flight together.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: Inside Ruatha Hold...

Or the change made over the Turns? There is a good discription of its, creations (with typos) in creating it in CoP First Fall: The Ford of Red
PS I lol a bit at how my system is saying the hold.

Or DD and before Fort Hold was created or a few more I can think of.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 10:43 PM   #3
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

With the description of some sort of rafters (bracing?) in the overhead from which crawlers were dropping (in DF), it always struck me as not unlike a Bavarian beer hall.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; May 15 2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: edit
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

E.D. Lord I had forgotten the rafters.[roll eyes]

We know they have room for several rather long trestle tables, along with a huge fireplace. There was also at least two comfortalbe chairs cozily placed in front of the fire.

I can't help seeing a bit more clean, richer and a lot more civilized decor, in the furniture, floor coverings and or wall coverings...that would have been used during Jaxom and Lytol's time, than was present when Lessa lived there as a druge. I think it would have been restored to look more along the lines of when Lessa was a young girl, when her family held the Hold....before Fax.

Would they have had any thick durable rugs on the floor, or would it only have been rushes.

Would there have been other seating or tables?

Where would Lytol's office have been?

Would the Hold's furnishing have a more rich look, or simple and plain, mostly usefull look to them?

Would the walls be smooth and white washed? [I think in Red Star Rising, its mentioned that some of the hold rooms were]

After almost two thousand turns, I see most of the large holds looking more castle like inside...each generation adding their own improvements to the Hold

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 17 2009, 10:55 AM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I think the rafters are an Anne-achronism: if you've got a sound cavern (natural or carved) then you wouldn't NEED rafters/trusses, etc. And, if you're setting up a major hold you're going to make darn sure you've got a sound structure.

You might have large timber brackets put in place at high level in order to hang chandeliers of glows or heraldic banners.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 06:46 PM   #6
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

I can see them putting rafters up in all main rooms not because the support is needed *now*, but because over the Turns there can be tremors, earthquakes, and similar things that could crack formerly sound stone.

Also, you can hang things like glow pots and tapistries from rafters. Harder to drill into solid stone.

Of course, on the other hand, beams would be wooden, from trees. Which might make them confined to wealthier holds, if less wealthy holds think they could get away with being constructed without them.

(I actually sat around thinking about this when writing Harper Hall fanfic...and then I realized the Harper Hall is a freestanding building mostly anyway, so they'd have rafters certainly even if, say, Fort proper didn't.)

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 07:27 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Yes Harper Hall is constructed. Lady M's original query was about Ruatha which was excavated.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old May 17 2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Sandi

Depending on the size and height of the original cavern, it's possible that they could have essentially built a building inside it, creating two or more levels out of one vast space. The framing up could have resulted in rafters overhead for the creepy-crawlies to creep and crawl among.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 12:43 AM   #9
Brenda

Did it mention rafters, or just "ceiling"?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Pat69La
Golden Flier

I was thinking it would look like the Great Hall of a Medieval Castle,with rustic rafters overhead to hang banners from. A huge fireplace, some chairs, at least one tressel table with benches. Taspistries on the walls. Maybe some display of swords & shields? Wasn't the office in a small room off to the side just as you came in the door?
Dragonmen must fly when Threads are in the sky! "
Pat69La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 01:31 PM   #11
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Yes Harper Hall is constructed. Lady M's original query was about Ruatha which was excavated.
Yes, I know. But I thought about the same thing as relates to a cavern Hold before I realized that all that hard thinking I did wouldn't matter for the Harper Hall. But the conclusions I came to might help her.

In short--I think it's possible for Ruatha, or Fort, or any of them to have rafters as safety measures, or as an easier way to hang things, but wood is expensive so it wouldn't be wide-spread unless perhaps the hold in question was expanded or updated or fixed or worked on in some way during a long interval when wood was more abundant.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 04:29 PM   #12
proserpine
Inactive

Fan of: Moreta

Ah, but Ruatha was built at a time when they could still have used plastic in their construction. Those rafters don't necessarily have to be wood: in fact I remember somewhere in DDrums they mention mysteriously durable material that is not wood used to construct the Fort Sea Hold. Ruatha was built early in the First Pass when they hadn't even run out of stone cutter energy yet. It's a pretty good bet that they could still have had the equipment to extrude construction grade plastics.
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 09:20 AM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

If the Ruathan rafters were plastic, than that material would be familiar and not referred to as a mysterious durable material when found in DragonDrums.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 02:00 AM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

IMO....I would think that any and all wood in a hold, rafters, door, banisters, mantle...etc.... would have been more or less decorative...and it would show the wealth of the hold to visitors, since wood on Pern was more difficult to obtain. It would also help to make it look more homey and warm...instead of just cold stone.
I think over the turns, the holder would have gone to great lengths to have at least their great halls look less like stone, with the additions of wood or paint [white wash] or the mentioned wall hangings and paintings.

Old May 22 2009, 10:20 AM   #15
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

they would need the tapestries for acoustic purposes. Imagine the echoes during a feast with all that hardrock around (You could open a Pernese eating establishment and call it Hardrock Cafe!): and you'd never hear the words of a song.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 23 2009, 10:03 PM   #16
proserpine
Inactive

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
If the Ruathan rafters were plastic, than that material would be familiar and not referred to as a mysterious durable material when found in DragonDrums.
If the material the rafters were created out of have been commented about in the books at all we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. The only time the rafters even come up is in DF as far as I can recall, and in that book the context for Pern hadn't been established yet.

And just because it's familiar doesn't mean it isn't still mysterious. They were familiar with it in DDrums, had been living with it for a couple thousand years, they just didn't know what it was.
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2009, 05:23 PM   #17
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Post Re: Inside Ruatha Hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by proserpine View Post
If the material the rafters were created out of have been commented about in the books at all we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. The only time the rafters even come up is in DF as far as I can recall, and in that book the context for Pern hadn't been established yet.

And just because it's familiar doesn't mean it isn't still mysterious. They were familiar with it in DDrums, had been living with it for a couple thousand years, they just didn't know what it was.
Well they also tell about in 6 Pass books too!

They had some background in CoP too.
GinnyStar2
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Nov 17 2010, 09:09 PM   #18
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern

a few things i remember about Ruatha

*the main doors are airlock doors from one of the colony ships (Red was thinkitng it was one of the shuttles, but the size described sounds more ship sized)

*the kitchen was moved during Jaxom's time, and has metal double doors

*after the plague in Moreta's time, Alessan was looking at the walls of the Great Hall, and thinking they needed whitewashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
E.D. Lord I had forgotten the rafters.[roll eyes]

We know they have room for several rather long trestle tables, along with a huge fireplace. There was also at least two comfortalbe chairs cozily placed in front of the fire.

I can't help seeing a bit more clean, richer and a lot more civilized decor, in the furniture, floor coverings and or wall coverings...that would have been used during Jaxom and Lytol's time, than was present when Lessa lived there as a druge. I think it would have been restored to look more along the lines of when Lessa was a young girl, when her family held the Hold....before Fax.

Would they have had any thick durable rugs on the floor, or would it only have been rushes.

Would there have been other seating or tables?

Where would Lytol's office have been?

Would the Hold's furnishing have a more rich look, or simple and plain, mostly usefull look to them?

Would the walls be smooth and white washed? [I think in Red Star Rising, its mentioned that some of the hold rooms were]

After almost two thousand turns, I see most of the large holds looking more castle like inside...each generation adding their own improvements to the Hold
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17 2010, 11:45 PM   #19
Eriflor

Actually I don't know why wood would be expensive or rare in the Ninth Pass. They'd just gone through a 400-year Interval, at the end of which very few people believed that Thread was coming back, so they allowed enormous forests to grow (to the shock of the Oldtimers). Lessa was used to wooden seats, and commented on the chilly stone seats she had to get used to when she went back to get the Oldtimers.

It was usual to let forests grow during the Intervals and then log them back to a defensible acreage just before the next Pass, the timber being stockpiled for use during the Pass.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2010, 12:25 AM   #20
Brenda

It's quite possible that under Fax, harvesting of wood was a restricted luxury. Meron of Nabol wouldn't even let his holders gather firewood - granted that was after the Pass started, but it's the same mindset.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2010, 03:20 AM   #21
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Aramina's father was a wood turner (or something to that effect) and made all types of items from wood like furniture so rafters would be a possibility.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2010, 12:09 AM   #22
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern

my daughter and i were looking through my old copy of the "DLGTP", and noticed some things that were out of kilter, some obvious, like the dragon sizes. but one thing she spotted was the drawing of the 'crawlers'. um, these are depected as gecko-like. but i clearly remember mention of crawlers and their webs, high in the rafters and corners of Ruatha's great hall, and doing bothersome things like falling off their webs into people's dinners. how much was AMC in touch with the artist who drew this book? or did she, like my husband did when he wrote his own book, forget to design things like this, and write them into the story, with a solid, growing infobase to refer to?

just an odditiy that my daughter pointed out, and which wound up as a discussion of Pern's teams bringing in Terran creatures, and trying to interleave them with indigenous animal....which usually doesnt work well.
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2010, 03:32 PM   #23
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by proserpine View Post

Does anyone know how long plastic can last (and remain usable) if protected from the elements? Over 2000 years seems a bit of a stretch. I've seen info about how long plastic bags can last in a landfill, but forgot the details.

Eriflor.
Old Nov 25 2010, 04:58 PM   #24
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Lady D: the crawlers couldn't have been earth imports: on earth only arachnids are web spinners. If they're gekko-like then they're pernese.

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 25 2010, 07:19 PM   #25
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Lady D: the crawlers couldn't have been earth imports: on earth only arachnids are web spinners. If they're gekko-like then they're pernese.
I think are called crawlers, on webs, and they do bite. in Dragonflight,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Nov 26 2010, 09:34 PM   #26
Eriflor

I think, with Lytol having been a Weaver for so many turns, tapestries and other fine fabric goods would be a major item, possibly featuring horses and scenery rather than dragons (not to remind him of his brown Larth). Maybe a few trophies from races won by Ruathan runnerbeasts.

And there was also that tapestry Lessa used to find her way back to the end of the Eighth Pass, which was returned to Ruatha.

Eriflor.
Old Nov 27 2010, 04:28 PM   #27
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

The Atlas does give you a basic idea of the layout of Ruatha, especially in the times of Moreta and Lessa, but your right, it would be interesting to see exactly the internal appearance.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote