A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Jul 23 2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Piper0301
Darbul

Now Reading: White Dragon
Default Dragoncon Advice for the Rookiest Rooky

It looks that I may be a bit late on deciding, but since I am so close to Atlanta, I'd love to attend Dragoncon.

Any advice to MoM's rookiest rooky? I see most of the Hotels are booked. Would I be missing out on much by being at one of the overflow sites?

Cheers and Thanks!
Piper
Piper0301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: Dragoncon Advice for the Rookiest Rooky

Dragon*Con is wonderful. Don't miss it! We haven't stayed at one of the overflow hotels. The only suggestion I've heard is that Atlanta "may" not be the safest place to walk late at night, so if you are staying late at the convention be sure to go back to your hotel in a group (or taxi, maybe?)
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2008, 05:19 PM   #3
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

we stayed at an overflow hotel last time & had no problems. We are staying at the Red Roof Inn this year which is VERY close to the main hotels. We had booked 2 rooms, but, my hubby decided not to go after all so we canceled one of the rooms. It might still be available. GOOD LUCK! BTW there are buses that go to all the overflow hotels.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Piper0301
Darbul

Thank you for the information, I'm about an 1 1/2 hours from Atlanta so after talking to a few other Dragon fans in my area, we're going to drive up for the day on Saturday. Thanks so much for the info - and you are right Atlanta is no place to wonder around at night. Look for me I'll be the Dragon Lover, hahaha.

Thanks again
Cheer from K9 Observatory
Piper
Old Jul 23 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Cavatica
Selkie

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns

Oh boy, a n00b!

You wouldn't be missing anything by being at an overflow, though if you're gonna book one, book one NOW -- I worry they're probably all filled up as it is. But I stayed at the Holiday Inn down the street from the main hotels one year, and it worked out just fine. Just be sure that you're traveling with a buddy, even during the day, because there are homeless and beggars everywhere and though most of them are harmless (though robberies do happen every year at D*C), you're almost certain to be accosted. Know where you're going before you get there, don't stop to talk to anyone you don't know, and walk with a friend or family member, and you'll be fine. :>

Some other advice:

Wash. Every day. I cannot stress this enough. 30,000 people at the height of the Southern summer, most of them in elaborate costumes, does not a pleasant odor make even when those of us who DO bathe and deodorize regularly are trying the best we can. No matter what precautions you take, a day of walking and walking and walking some more will leave you feeling pretty sticky and awful by the end of the day. Your hotel room comes with a shower, and lots and lots and lots of free toiletries and towels. Use them. Please. For all of us. ;>

Do not put your purse or wallet down unless someone you trust is watching it. You will never see it again.

Bring cash. Autographs and toys cost money (autographs usually run between $10-20 a pop, though some of the guests only ask that you make a small cash donation to their charity), and almost nobody takes check or credit cards. The ATMs start running out of money around day 2, and anyway, they'll charge you a service fee if they're not your bank (though if you're with Bank of America, you're in luck: there are two or three of those). It'll also help limit your spending to take X amount of dollars with you at the start of the day.

Your Dragon*Con guide comes with a map: use it! Know where you're going before you get there, and give yourself lots of time to do it. If you're in the Hyatt and the next panel you want to go to is in the Marriott, give yourself at LEAST 15 minutes to get there. I hustle and it takes me a good five, ten minutes to get from one hotel to the next. And there's nothing more obnoxious than having a panel interrupted by someone who didn't ask for directions. ;>

In fact, it's not a bad idea to go through your schedule the night before and circle the stuff you'll want to go to. Last year, my boyfriend made it easier on himself by just writing his stuff down on a sheet of lined paper and taking it with him, so he didn't have to flip through the book every time he wanted to be somewhere.

Almost all of your meals will come from the Food Court, unless you bring your own or, more expensively, eat at a restaurant downtown (or, even MORE expensively, at one of the hotel restaurants). Figure between $5 and $10 a meal per person. Budget accordingly.

The Boyfriend advises: "Get used to seeing people naked or mostly naked." I would amend, "Get used to seeing people naked or mostly naked, even the ones who aren't pretty naked. ESPECIALLY the ones who aren't pretty naked." It's true. It's REALLY true after dark. It's really REALLY true right before sunrise. Yikes.

The Boyfriend also commands: "Don't have stationary conversations at bottlenecks, such as at the top of escalators." Yeah. Keep moving. If you've got to stop and consult your map, step off to one side of the hall. Those of us in a hurry may not be considerate of your right to block our path, and you won't like being shoved any more than we'll want to shove you.

Just sayin'.

That's probably enough of a tome to start! Basically, you know, keep track of your stuff, stay aware of your surroundings, come prepared, and you'll have an awesome time geeking out with 30,000 of your closest friends.

Oh. And come see the DragonSex panel at Weyrfest! ;>
Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cavatica...this is very helpfull and wise advice/information for almost any serious convention...but especially for all that I have heard about Dragoncon.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Piper0301
Darbul

Thank you Cavatica. Your insights should be in the D*C User's Manual.

Cheers
Piper
Old Jul 24 2008, 10:18 PM   #8
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper0301 View Post
Thank you Cavatica. Your insights should be in the D*C User's Manual.

Cheers
Piper
I would agree with you. Everyone have a great time sorry I can't make it.
I would love to one but it hard. When you don't drive, see well, or hear well in crowds it more of an adventer.

Here a few tips I can come up with:

Have your clothes in layer. Some place maybe hot/cold/warm and depending on the person you can go from warm to hot to cold fast.

Drink lot of water, have a good pair or two of walking shoes.

Use a pack around your middle.

Also be careful watch out for them, for people with disibities, please. I know it may sound a little odd but sometime people do have a hidden disibities. Or one you can see but give them their own space and ask if they need help first. Thanks

Enjoy Your Self.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote