A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 10 2006, 01:58 AM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default What McCaffrey Books Do You Collect?

What McCaffrey books/items do you collect? Are you a UK only person, or a US only person? Are you after only signed copies, if so only 1st editions or any so long as it's signed? How about collecting Easton Press editions, proofs and ARCs? Or do you just want EVERYTHING???

I collect 1st edition hardcover, 1st edition paperback, book clubs, magazines, anthologies and any other oddball thing I can find. The hardcovers are either US or UK - I live in the US so most of my hardcovers are US, but since there are several that only came out in the UK or the US hardcover is so expensive or hard to find, I do have several UK hardcovers.
Magazines have an article on Anne, or an interview by Anne or a review of one of her books. (I have a copy of a Locus magazine that has one of the PTB books almost dead center in the cover, I don't think there's anything inside about Anne. The cover just caught my eye.) This is an 'oddball' item to me. Some other 'oddball' items include the Whelan art phone cards that were done a while back, a promo post card for Damia, a Kelly Freas signed trading card with his cover art for the Analog where A Bridle for Pegasus was featured, the enclosed 'catalogs' from the SFBC mailings that feature Anne (worthless to anyone but me!).
I have a paperback copy of Renegades that's creased and bent, it's not a first edition either, but it's a copy that Anne gave to Elizabeth Ann Scarborough and inscribed and signed by Anne to EAS. Ms Scarborough also signed it. Very little value, but interesting to think of what book they were working on when Anne gave it to her.
I got stuck on BEYOND THE STARS and wanting all states of it. I found (as I posted elsewhere) an additional copy that's not in Hargreaves, but I still need the Octopuss Books edition. Gotta have all 4!
If an anthology comes out in hardcover and paperback I feel I need both states.
I do have several proof/ARC copies too. One is an proof of The Lady that has a proof dust jacket with it, I've never seen that sort of combination. I found it when I walked into a used book store and went to the back, where they buy books, and asked if they had gotten any McCaffrey that wasn't on the shelf yet. They had just gotten that item in! (so a good tip for collecting, go ask the book buyer!)

Anyway, just a few things that can be in a collection. Just to show that a collection is what you want to collect.
Old May 10 2006, 02:17 AM   #2
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass
Default Re: What McCaffrey Books Do You Collect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelura1
What McCaffrey books/items do you collect? Are you a UK only person, or a US only person? Are you after only signed copies, if so only 1st editions or any so long as it's signed? How about collecting Easton Press editions, proofs and ARCs? Or do you just want EVERYTHING??? .
I don't know if I can pigeonhole myself as a certain type of collector.

Of Mccaffrey's works I only collect Pern. I have not read any of her non pern books yet. I shall, I suppose, when I finally finish reading the Pern series.

I simply want to own all of the Pern stories in hardcover because I cannot stand mass market paperbacks. The more rare the item the less I care if it's a 1st printing or not (eg my The White Dragon is 5th or 6th printing). I also want to have all the omnibus'. I'm also looking for some of the original anthologies for the short stories (I want Weyr Search and Dragonrider in anthologies - not sure if im interested in the analogs). BAsically anything that's released in hard cover I would like to find it.

The eastons, signed, foreign additions and arc's are nice but I don't seek them out. I acquire them if the price is right and the opportunity presents itself. The Dragonflight easton i had to have because I need dragonflight in HB. But the other I'm not thinking much about.

I am actually kind close to completing my Mccaffrey collection. I have other authors to work on too. Similar story, find my favorite books in HC! I sold all my paperbacks (except a very few) and I've got a lot of books to find in HB now.

Items I'm currentling in search of to complete my collection:

Dragonsinger HC
Draongsong HC
Rescue Run HC
Dolphins' Bell HC
Dragonquest HC (hoping for a crappy library copy. read cheap)
Dragonsblood HC

Atlas of pern
DLG 2nd ed HC
On Dragonwings TPB

Anthologies:
Legends HC
Legends II HC
The Ascent of Wonder HC (weyr search) or Children of the Future (weyr search)
Nebula Award Stories #4 PB (dragonrider) Wish this story came in HC somewhere

Last edited by mattv2099; May 10 2006 at 03:49 AM.
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2006, 02:58 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

While I collected Anne's books generally for years I relatively recently decided that I didn't want to collect non-Pern stuff anymore. Won't pass on a good deal just concentrating my hunting on Pern. I do own virtually all Anne wrote in one form or another.

I also essentially collect Pern books for the different covers (I first collected cover art digitally) and states, so I'll be collecting many the same titles in both hardback and paperback. I think I'm also one of the few who collect the "foreign" (read: non-English) editions, up to and including many a book in languages I can't even read
I also collect the anthologies in which Pern short stories appeared and set a myself goal to own all of them, specifically all books in which the original "Weyr Search" appeared.
I am not collecting for value but for art, so I'll pass on an expensive first edition if I can get the same art on a later edition or printing, enabling me to buy more different books rather than that very collectible but also very expensive item I rather dislike the Easton Press ones so I leave those out; their binding are nice but as cover art go... *shrug*

I'll concentrate on book but certainly won't pass on all the secondary material though I am less actively hunting for that.

I'll sell to other collectors to make the odd mark to finance my own collection and am certainly not averse to trading. My speciality in this are foreign (non-English) editions.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2006, 04:43 AM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

anything interesting I can afford!
which, sadly, isn't that much!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2006, 07:18 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Hmm, for me it's probably easier to specify what I don't collect, rather than what I do! I'd like to have EVERYTHING, but there are a few things I'm not trying to collect at this time:
Easton Press
Signed copies, unless issued with a signature
ARCs/Proofs (though I will pick the odd one up, and actually have a Hargreaves ARC!)
All anthologies containing a short story -- I just look for the first appearance of a story
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Since I mentioned this in my original posting I thought I'd post my success here too! I went to eBayUK and found a copy of the Beyond the Stars Octopuss Books edition! So needless to say I ordered it. So my little oddball collection of these books will be complete. ::huge sigh::

What I've read so far is interesting. To find that folks collect only Pern or collect for cover art (I knew that's what Hans collected ) or for first appearance of a story.

I think I collect similarly to Cheryl (I'm jealous of your Hargreaves ARC!!!) I mainly buy the first appearance of a story and if that's a magazine then I'll buy the hardcover and paperback too tho. And after that I'll buy whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Since I went thru my collection a couple of weeks ago I found a few items that I want to update to better copies. So, I've got a fun little bit of hunt to do.
Old May 10 2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I have collected anything with Anne's name on it for over 30 years. I have at least the paperback version, of every book (in all the series) that Anne has had for sale, mostly 1st U.S. HC editions.

I have lately been collecting Anne's signed books,twenty one of them to date, not all are 1st, but many are.

I have also been collecting all of the early magizine stories, that I have found:
Analog Magizine, June 1967, Oct. 1967, Dec.1967 and
Jan.1968(all the parts of the Dragonriders story)
Galaxy Magazine, Weather on Welladay
Galaxy Magazine, Oct.1966, The Ship who Killed
Scienc and Fantasy Mag, April 1961, The Ship Who Sang
IF Mag, March 1969,The Ship Who Disappeared
Analog, March 1966, The Ship Who Mourned

I also have all but three of the book tapes, but only three of the ones I have are unabridged, at this time.

All three of the games, and the Calender.

All the special "odd" books:
Diveristy of Dragon
Dragon Lovers Guide 3 copies (2 HC/1SB)
The Pern Atlas
The People of Pern(2copies HC)
Dragon Holder
Serve it Forth
The Dictionary of Science Fiction( Pern is mentioned)
Alien Landscapes(Drawing of Pern, gifted to me by a Friend)
Anne McCaffrey, Science Ficion Story Teller, Margaret Trachtenberg
Anne Inez McCaffrey, Forty Years of Publishing, Mathew D. Hargraves
Dragonflight, Easton Press, signed 1st edition
Dragonflight, Eclipse Comic Book, soft cover, signed HC edition

I am adding to my collection all the time, and will continue to collect anything that has Anne's name on it, especially if it is her signature.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2006, 11:00 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I just got that March 1966 Analog on Ebay! Waiting for it to arrive now!
Old May 10 2006, 11:50 AM   #9
Vangie
Inactive

Fan of: The Pern series
Now Reading: Dragonsblood

I started out collecting 1st edition hardcover but about 6 months ago I decided I wanted to try and get it all. I figure I have plenty of years to try and accomplish it. It is a fun challenge. I think a few will just always be out of my price rang though.

I also collect Dragon everything from statues to teapots, Beanie babies, and salt and pepper shakers.
Vangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2006, 01:28 PM   #10
~(_'>

I have been collecting anything pern since..1978. When I first discovered Pern.

I snatch up anything on the shelves at the book store. A re-lease of Dragonflight...read new cover...in the children's section of the bookstore..so pretty...an anthology from the book club...if it says Pern...I want it.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2006, 12:13 AM   #11
Dyna
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonrider sagas
Now Reading: in between books

I think I have a list elsewhere on here of what I have...Im not reposting it.

I read what I collect and I collect what I dont have.

On order are Oct 1966 and Mar 1969 Galaxy Magazines for The Ship Who Killed and Weather on Welladay respectively (vg- condition). I just got in If Wishes Were Horses, 1st printing hardcopy w/ dust jacket, never been opened. An order to be placed as soon as the final price is estimated, the 1968 complete year colletion in mint condition of Science Fiction and Science Fact Analog.

Still quite a few to be got.

Little by little...eventually I'll have them all *rubs hands gleefully*

Dyna
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2006, 08:06 PM   #12
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I collect whatever I can find. I have all the Pern novels, so now I'm working on other series. I only buy US covers though, as I'm not fond at all of UK or other covers. And I usually go for paperback, unless it's brand new. HC may be more durable, but I don't have enough room for all hardcovers :laugh: Plus paperbacks are easier to read, and less expensive
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2006, 06:01 PM   #13
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader

I haven't got a defined goal when it comes to my Anne McCaffrey book collection. I don't go for certain editions, but I try to keep them all in Corgi paperbacks. I have at least two hardcovers, but that was just because I couldn't wait til the paperback came out. I eventually also bought the paperbacks of those for collecting and an easier read when I one day wanted to read those again.

I started collecting Acorna, but I didn't really like the series, so I stopped collecting them. I actually think I have 1 or 2 Acorna books that I didn't read.

I'm currently trying to get my hands on the Petaybee books, but it looks like amazon.de stopped having the Corgi edition. I usually try to get the books as presents for christmas and my birthday, so it might take a while before I have them all. If I can't get the Corgi editions for my birthday this Summer, I might just have to do with the DelRay.

My McCaffrey books are on bookshelves with glass panes. I have two dragons garding them.
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2006, 02:54 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

The dragons are a nice touch, Nef.

I have a watchwher on my top shelf, watching all

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 18 2006, 04:54 AM   #15
Spaceman Spiff

Oooooh, pics??
Old May 18 2006, 05:00 AM   #16
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

hmmm.... I wonder if Mum will have finished my birthday present when I get home next?
Its a dragon, not meant to be a Pern one but its similarish, embroidery.
Pictures would be fun!
Theres a bookshop in Shrewsbury with a dragon mad owner- she does read Pern btw! cuddly dragons on every available surface!
Old May 19 2006, 02:52 PM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Oooooh, pics??

Old May 19 2006, 03:27 PM   #18
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

The watchwher guards the happy weed, I see.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2006, 04:08 PM   #19
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

*coughs, splutters*
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2006, 07:24 PM   #20
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader

I'm a long way away from my books right now, so I can't take pics and post them until I return to Germany. I think I might have a pic of one of my dragons over at the NKT in the art section, but I'm not sure.
If I remember I'll take pics of my books and dragons when I come home (i.e. after June 3rd).
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2006, 04:17 AM   #21
Spaceman Spiff

Thank you, Hans!
Old May 20 2006, 05:04 AM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

You're welcome Spiff.

Cheryl, he guards all and everything

Old May 20 2006, 06:07 AM   #23
Flinx
Linyaari

My preference is US paperbacks, preferably 1st editions but that is not always possible. Plus I'm very picky concerning the condition of the book.
When I first started to read Anne's books I bought the UK paperbacks because I didn't know about other editions.
Prefer the US over the UK editions for virtually all authors I read.

Here is my collection;
McCAFFREY, Anne
Restoree (Ballantine, 1st printing & Ballantine Del Rey, 15th printing)
Dragonriders Of Pern
Dragonsdawn
The Dolphins' Bell (Wildside Press, 1st printing) (hc)
The Chronicles Of Pern: First Fall
Dragonseye (UK title: Red Star Rising)
Moreta: Dragonlady Of Pern (Ballantine Del Rey, 1st printing & Corgi, 3rd printing)
Nerilka's Story
The Masterharper Of Pern
Dragonflight (Ballantine, 1st print, Ballantine Del Rey, 28th printing & Corgi, 11th printing)
Dragonquest (Ballantine, 1st print, Ballantine Del Rey, 27th printing & Corgi, 3rd printing)
Dragonsong (Bantam Spectra, 20th printing & Corgi, 8th printing)
Dragonsinger (Bantam Spectra, 16th printing)
Dragonsinger: Harper Of Pern (Corgi, 6th printing)
Dragondrums (Bantam Spectra, 13th printing & Corgi, 3rd printing)
The White Dragon (Ballantine Del Rey, 18th printing & Corgi, 7th printing)
The Renegades Of Pern
All The Weyrs Of Pern
The Dolphins Of Pern
The Skies Of Pern
Dragon's Kin (with Todd McCaffrey)
The Dragonlover's Guide To Pern (with Jody Lynn Nye) (hc)
The Dragonlover's Guide To Pern: Second Edition (with Jody Lynn Nye)
The Ship Who Sang
The Ship Who Sang (Ballantine Del Rey, 17th printing)
PartnerShip (Uncorrected Galley Proof promotional booklet) (with Margaret Ball)
PartnerShip (with Margaret Ball)
The Ship Who Searched (with Mercedes Lackey)
The Ship Who Fought (Uncorrected Galley Proof promotional booklet) (with S. M. Stirling)
The City Who Fought (with S. M. Stirling)
The Ship Avenged (by S. M. Stirling)
The Ship Who Won (with Jody Lynn Nye)
The Ship Errant (by Jody Lynn Nye)
Doona
Decision At Doona (Ballantine, 1st printing & Ballantine Del Rey, 16th printing)
Crisis On Doona (with Jody Lynn Nye)
Treaty At Doona (UK title: Treaty Planet) (with Jody Lynn Nye)
Saga Of The Talents
To Ride Pegasus (Ballantine Del Rey, 16th & 20th printings)
Pegasus In Flight
Pegasus In Space
The Rowan
Damia
Damia's Children
Lyon's Pride
The Tower And The Hive
Federated Sentient Planets
The Coelura (Tor, 1st & 5th printings)
Nimisha's Ship
The Planet Pirates
The Death Of Sleep (with Jody Lynn Nye)
Dinosaur Planet
Sassinak (with Elizabeth Moon)
Dinosaur Planet Survivors
Generation Warriors (with Elizabeth Moon) (Baen, 1st & 2nd printings)
The Planet Pirates Omnibus (collects Sassinak, The Death Of Sleep & Generation Warriors) (with Elizabeth Moon & Jody Lynn Nye)
The Mystery Of Ireta (collects Dinosaur Planet & Dinosaur Planet Survivors)
Crystal Singer
Crystal Singer
Killashandra (Ballantine Del Rey, 5th printing)
Crystal Line
Petaybee (with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough)
Powers That Be (Ballantine Del Rey, 11th printing)
Power Lines
Power Play (Ballantine Del Rey, 5th printing)
The Freedom Saga
Freedom's Landing
Freedom's Choice
Freedom's Challenge
Freedom's Ransom
Acorna The Unicorn Girl
Acorna (with Margaret Ball) (HarperTorch, 14th printing)
Acorna's Quest (with Margaret Ball) (Eos, 7th printing)
Acorna's People (with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough) (HarperTorch, 3rd printing)
Acorna's World (with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough)
Acorna's Search (with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough)
Acorna's Rebels (with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough)
Acorna's Triumph (with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough)
Collections
Get Off The Unicorn (Ballantine Del Rey, 15th printing & Corgi, 7th printing)
The Girl Who Heard Dragons
Anthology appearances
The Best Military Science Fiction Of The 20th Century
Carmen Miranda's Ghost Is Haunting Space Station Three
Dancing With The Dark
Don't Forget Your Spacesuit, Dear
The Faces Of Fantasy
Far Horizons (hc)
The Fleet
The Fleet 4: Sworn Allies
The Fleet 5: Total War
Legends: Short Novels By The Masters Of Modern Fantasy (hc)
Legends II: New Short Novels By The Masters Of Modern Fantasy (hc)
Wondrous Beginnings
Commentary
The Art Of Michael Whelan (hc)
The People Of Pern (hc)
Foreword/Introduction
The Atlas Of Pern (Ballantine Del Rey, 3rd printing & Corgi, 1st printing)
Dragonholder: The Life And Dreams (So Far) Of Anne McCaffrey (hc)

It is mainly all paperbacks, except for a few hardcovers & trade paperbacks. If I haven't listed listed a publisher it is because the book is a 1st printing.

I think I have a couple of the romance books somewhere. Plus a couple of duplicates of the above books including the following that I intend to eventually sell;
The Dragonlover's Guide To Pern: Second Edition (Ballantine Del Rey, 3rd printing) signed by Jody Lynn Nye
Dragonholder: The Life And Dreams (So Far) Of Anne McCaffrey Ballantine Del Rey, 3rd printing) signed by Todd & Anne.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2006, 06:24 AM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

A very nice set, flinx

If you want to give MoM members forst choice at the titles you are selling I invite you to make separate threads for those and "advertise" them in there.

Though we allow people/members to do that on MoM, the owner nor staff can take any responsibility in any way of course. That will be clear. Selling a book on MoM (or even gifting it) is the involved members responsibility only.