A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Apr 3 2018, 03:57 PM   #1
justbeingme
Darbul

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Masterharper of Pern
Default In what order should I introduce the books to a pern newbie?

back when I was 12 I was obnoxious enough to deviate from all recommended reading orders and just try and read them in chronological order.

However, fast forward ten years later and I am considering reading the books to my boyfriend, who loves a good story but is too dyslectic for me to expect him to pick up this massive series on his own.

However, this leaves me wondering how to best approach this. I've been mulling it over in my mind now and i do feel like Dragonflight is the right starting point, as otherwise the whole 'does the thread come back yes or no?' ordeal loses most of its tension.

however as there are some stories coinciding in the 9th pass (harper hall trilogy, masterharper of pern), and this makes it confusing to look into the order.

I have just finished All the Weyrs of Pern myself, and I do think that book is a lot better if you are already familiar with Dragonsdown and Dragonseye.

However this leaves me with the debate of what to read of the ninth pass before jumping back in time to some of the earlier works.

So my question to the forum is; in what order did you read Pern when you initially picked up the series, and what order would you recommend to other people?
justbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3 2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Jeslinth
Darbul

Fan of: The Harper Hall Trilogy
Now Reading: "Mountolive" by Lawrence Durrell
Default Re: In what order should I introduce the books to a pern newbie?

I read the Harper Hall trilogy before I read Dragonflight. For an adult, I would probably recommend Dragonflight first, though, unless he has a taste for other "young adult" fiction. More dragons and danger and F'lar's perspective...

I wouldn't recommend Masterharper of Pern for anyone's introduction to the series. I feel like it's really a side story for Robinton-lovers (of which I count myself!) that doesn't have quite the dramatic tension of some of the other books.

If your boyfriend is very much a "begin at the beginning" type of person, though, I think Dragonsdawn could be a fair introduction to the series. But it's kind of like reading a history book about Mexico (I'm picking a random example--any country you don't live in would work) without ever visiting the present-day country. It's still interesting, but it might not "click" in your brain in the same way as reading the book after spending some time in the present culture.
Jeslinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2018, 09:30 PM   #3
Stella
Muskie

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn

My recommended order is the order of publication, with the exception of Dragondrums. I heard somewhere that it should be read before the White Dragon because of the introduction of certain characters. I just reread them and agree that.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Stella
Muskie

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn

More detailed order:

1. Dragonflight
2. Dragonquest
3. Dragonsong
4. Dragonsinger
5. Dragondrums
6. The White Dragon
7. Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern
8. Nerilka's Story
9. Dragonsdawn
10. A Gift of Dragons*
11. The Renegades of Pern
12. All the Weyrs of Pern
13. The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall
14. The Dolphins of Pern
15. DragonsEye/Red Star Rising
16. The Masterharper of Pern
17. The Skies of Pern

[I'm a little fuzzier with these, but I'm sure about the first two]
18. Dragon's Kin
19. Dragonsblood
20. Dragon's Fire
21. Dragon Harper
22. Dragonheart
23. Dragongirl
24. Dragon's Time

* I'm not sure where "Ever the Twain" goes best. The other short stories relate to the 9th pass. "Runner of Pern" is right before or during early Dragonflight in terms of chronology, but I'm not sure if a new reader would have enough context.

"Beyond Between" can be read any time after Dragonsdawn and Moreta.

Last edited by Stella; May 16 2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Runner of Pern chronology fix
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote