A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 4 2008, 10:23 PM   #241
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
Here's a thought: Who could we cast Liv Tyler or Neve Campbell as?
Tyler's big enough to pull off Thella, perhaps.

Campbell can be pretty ascerbic, so maybe Mirrim around the time of SoP.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2008, 11:17 PM   #242
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.
 
Multi-Facets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Colorado
Gender: F
Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Tyler's big enough to pull off Thella, perhaps.

Campbell can be pretty ascerbic, so maybe Mirrim around the time of SoP.
Oooo, good ideas.
__________________
Rest well, Mrs. McCaffrey. Long live your work!
Multi-Facets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2008, 09:35 AM   #243
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady;107990Anyway, I have another possibility- for someone, possibiy F'nor. Ashton Kutcher. Seriously, ever see the movie [I
the Gaurdian[/I]? He's got the altruistic, selfless concern down, seems like a nice guy, and is also a looker!
Now, this idea would be funny.

Cast Kutcher as F'lessan in a SoP movie, but cast Demi Moore as Lessa.



GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2008, 10:36 PM   #244
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder
 
D. M. Domini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Gender: F
Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Thumbs up Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

I think James Callis would make a good younger Robinton. He doesn't have the height, but he has the eloquence and acting skills to pull off the Harper. (did we ever know the cast list for the DRoP tv show Ron Moore was a part of? Because I'm wondering if any of the BSG crew were 'recycled' from that, somehow.)



Failing that, how about Bear McCreary, the composer who scores Battlestar Galactica? Dunno if he can act, but he sure as hell can compose!



Tahmoh Penikett would make a good dragonrider of some type. I don't have anyone particular in mind. Or perhaps Sebell. He certainly has the height! A little "pretty" for Sebell, though. But he does a good "hanging out in the background, until he's called upon" in BSG. Or, you know, he might make a good Alemi, Menolly's brother.



As an off-the-wall suggestion...how about Alan Rickman for Petiron? If we ever had a scene with strife between Robinton and Petiron, Alan Rickman would make that scene rule. Failing that, Alan Rickman might make a good Lord. or Oldtimer.



Alan Tudyk is another I'd nominate to be a Dragonrider. Perhaps an unconventional-looking F'nor. Or a Harper. Elgion? "I've found her, I've found her!" "Who, the love of your life?" "No! I've found Petiron's lost apprentice!" (paraphrasing, lol, I don't have Dragonsong on me.)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2008, 11:02 PM   #245
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
Oooo, good ideas.
Had a better thought for Campbell: Desdra.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2008, 11:03 PM   #246
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
Now, this idea would be funny.

Cast Kutcher as F'lessan in a SoP movie, but cast Demi Moore as Lessa.



GH
What a truly revolting thought...
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2008, 11:19 PM   #247
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portalvast Magus View Post
I think James Callis would make a good younger Robinton. He doesn't have the height, but he has the eloquence and acting skills to pull off the Harper. (did we ever know the cast list for the DRoP tv show Ron Moore was a part of? Because I'm wondering if any of the BSG crew were 'recycled' from that, somehow.)



Failing that, how about Bear McCreary, the composer who scores Battlestar Galactica? Dunno if he can act, but he sure as hell can compose!



Tahmoh Penikett would make a good dragonrider of some type. I don't have anyone particular in mind. Or perhaps Sebell. He certainly has the height! A little "pretty" for Sebell, though. But he does a good "hanging out in the background, until he's called upon" in BSG. Or, you know, he might make a good Alemi, Menolly's brother.



As an off-the-wall suggestion...how about Alan Rickman for Petiron? If we ever had a scene with strife between Robinton and Petiron, Alan Rickman would make that scene rule. Failing that, Alan Rickman might make a good Lord. or Oldtimer.



Alan Tudyk is another I'd nominate to be a Dragonrider. Perhaps an unconventional-looking F'nor. Or a Harper. Elgion? "I've found her, I've found her!" "Who, the love of your life?" "No! I've found Petiron's lost apprentice!" (paraphrasing, lol, I don't have Dragonsong on me.)

Callis is, regrettably, much too short for Robinton, although in theory that's no barrier to a good performance. Look at Jackman as Wolverine...a foot too tall for the character, but a good performance. But given the sheer venality Callis has brought to Gaius Baltar, how about casting him as Meron?

I know nothing of McCreary to comment, although I love the drumming in BSG's opening credits.

Tahmoh Penikett is such a huge guy (and a good actor), I'm be tempted to dye his hair and cast him as Toric.

Alan Rickman certainly has the chops to play Robinton, but it might be a real shock to the system to see him play a flat-out nice guy. Of course, his darker side could bring some zing to scenes with Pinch.

I think Alan Tudyk would make a great dragonrider and I was sad to see Wash get fragged in Serenity. I'd say to definitely cast him as one of the happier and more cheery dragonriders, probably a green or blue rider of some significance. Or possibly one of Moreta's bronze admirers...or T'gellan, which would give him the opportunity to play more serious later when Weyrleader of Eastern.

--

As for recycling BSG players, Hogan (Tigh) would make a good Fax or T'ron or T'kul. He can chew the carpet with the best of them. Of course, the guy who plays Tyrol could also pull off those roles.

I've always been a great fan of Olmos, and think he might make a good Petiron.

Bamber and Sackhoff don't impress me much, although the gal who plays Dualla might be useful. The guy who plays Anders could be recycled in any number of dragonrider roles.

Park could make a good Brekke.

Helfer could play Kylara or Thella (or both, as she's used to having many copies...)

I liked the gal who played "Kat," but can't think what role to use her in at the moment.

I also like the gal who plays "Racetrack," but again can't think of a role at the moment for her.

Olmos' son ("Hotdog") would certainly be an easy casting for any number of young dragonriders.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; May 12 2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 10:20 AM   #248
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: M
Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portalvast Magus View Post
I think James Callis would make a good younger Robinton. He doesn't have the height, but he has the eloquence and acting skills to pull off the Harper. (did we ever know the cast list for the DRoP tv show Ron Moore was a part of? Because I'm wondering if any of the BSG crew were 'recycled' from that, somehow.)



...

As an off-the-wall suggestion...how about Alan Rickman for Petiron? If we ever had a scene with strife between Robinton and Petiron, Alan Rickman would make that scene rule. Failing that, Alan Rickman might make a good Lord. or Oldtimer.



Alan Tudyk is another I'd nominate to be a Dragonrider. Perhaps an unconventional-looking F'nor. Or a Harper. Elgion? "I've found her, I've found her!" "Who, the love of your life?" "No! I've found Petiron's lost apprentice!" (paraphrasing, lol, I don't have Dragonsong on me.)

Oooh, I like that guy for a younger Robinton!

I'm not too fond of Rickman for Petiron though... he could pull it off, but I've always seen Ian McKellan as Petiron. He can definitely do the rough and grumpy, but also a tender side. As Merelan really did love Petiron and Masterharper shows that he did have tenderness for his wife in him, I think McKellan would be ideal. Reading the scenes with Petiron, I can't see anyone but him. Rickman could absolutely perform Petiron's meaner, more gruff side toward Robinton, but I can't imagine him pulling off the kinder side well.

I LOVE the idea of Tudyk as Elgion! *applause*
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 10:49 AM   #249
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Olmos' son ("Hotdog") would certainly be an easy casting for any number of young dragonriders.

I did meet him at a convention, and he seemed a little shy (reserved, quiet). But I did let him know about the DragonRiders of PERN movies, and that Copperheart (a Canadian company) had the rights. Don't know if he told his agent, but at least someone in the BSG cast knows about the (hopeful)
movie.

Anyone heard any knews on where Copperheart is in development? I think someone had a rumor that they may have been working on the script when the WGA strike hit.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2008, 10:40 AM   #250
adaezelabelle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Gender: F
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

I always thought of Lessa as looking like the dark one in the old Charlie's Angels. I think her name is Jaqueline Smith.
adaezelabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 02:42 PM   #251
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
What a truly revolting thought...



Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 10:31 PM   #252
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Revisiting BSG recycling, the gal who plays Racetrack is Leah Cairns. She's small (for an actress) at 5 foot 6 inches and surrounded by tall actors might actually make a decent Lessa.

Check photo 4/19 of the BSG gallery for her in flight gear. Dark hair; dark eyes. Not necessarily as delicate as Lessa is described, but definitely attractive. http://www.leahcairns.com/Battlestar-Galactica.html

Check photo 2/25 of the Travel gallery for her in "native" costume. Thin and trim as you'd expect of Lessa. http://www.leahcairns.com/travelling.html


She's currently in her mid-30s, but can successfully play younger for the time being.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; May 12 2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: changes
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2008, 09:02 AM   #253
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice
 
Myt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wherever is home right now.
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Tudyk would be great as a dragonrider/Elgion. ED, I was really upset at that point in Serenity too. He was my favourite!
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2008, 07:16 PM   #254
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myt View Post
Tudyk would be great as a dragonrider/Elgion. ED, I was really upset at that point in Serenity too. He was my favourite!
I pretty much liked the entire ensemble. If I had to name favorites: Kaylee and Jayne. She's so monstrously out-of-place in that crew that it just works, and Jayne is just every impatient, anti-social thought you've ever had personified.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2008, 11:08 AM   #255
Gini
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Perth, UK
Gender: F
Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: Where Rainbows end - Cecila Ahern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

I recently stumbled across a picture of Jason Behr, and I realised in a few shots he seemed to have slightly amber coloured eyes, he also has dark hair and shots from his movie "SkinWalkers" shows he has that rugged look that I envisioned F'lar having.

I liked the cast of Firefly too =) They all fit so well together!
Gini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2008, 11:45 PM   #256
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling
 
Dragongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: F
Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

I don't know if she's been mentioned, but Amy Lee as she is in the music video My Immortal...quite lovely and with a slightly narrow face she could pass as Lessa:

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal042.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal061.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal029.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal008.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal006.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal023.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal014.jpg

Long, dark hair, small and quite slim with beautiful eyes. SHame she's a singer.
__________________
Paired with Calenlily. Woo, I has a stalker! *heart*

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 01:00 AM   #257
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
 
Kugai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wellington NEW ZEALAND
Gender: M
Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Ummmmm Dragongirl, I get this when I click on the link(s)

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /img/clip_immortal/my_immortal042.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
__________________
JAMES THE
You can never have too much Coffee

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 10:09 AM   #258
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
I don't know if she's been mentioned, but Amy Lee as she is in the music video My Immortal...quite lovely and with a slightly narrow face she could pass as Lessa:

Long, dark hair, small and quite slim with beautiful eyes. SHame she's a singer.
I haven't seen the video, but I've heard her voice. Maybe she could play Menolly. Or, if they do flashbacks, she could play Robinton's mother.

OT: I'd love to hear a duet between Pat Benatar and Amy Lee. They both have wonderful voices and a great range. And Pat Benatar would be old enough to play Robinton's mother in any flashbacks.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 11:57 AM   #259
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: M
Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
I don't know if she's been mentioned, but Amy Lee as she is in the music video My Immortal...quite lovely and with a slightly narrow face she could pass as Lessa:

Long, dark hair, small and quite slim with beautiful eyes. SHame she's a singer.
Yes, YES, YES!!!

While she is not NEARLY thin enough for Lessa, she has the PERFECT eyes and attitude. She doesn't have that "actress" look, which I like. I don't know if she can act well, but I would be willing to sacrifice the description of her being so thin when she is the only woman I've ever seen who could capture the essence of Lessa. However, she's not exactly short. She's not TALL at 5'4, but not really diminutive.

Pictures from that music video:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...mortal_020.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...mortal_015.jpg

Other pics of her:
http://www.yuzbasicafer1.com/p_celeb...my_lee_005.jpg

http://www.go4celebrity.com/wallpape...my-Lee-002.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Amy-Lee-1.jpg

http://www.3arabiaphoto.com/internat...my_lee-010.jpg

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; May 20 2008 at 12:12 PM.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 09:37 PM   #260
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

While I'm a fan of Amy (Lee) Hartzler, I can't see her as Lessa. Too big; too solid. Lessa is a wisp of a thing. I've pretty much settled on Leah Cairns for Lessa. She's more delicate, but has the dark hair and eyes.

Amy's great asset is her voice, but I don't see her as either Menolly or Merelan. She's too old for Menolly, to be frank. Better to cast a younger woman like Aly Michalka. As for Merelan, Liv Kristine Espenaes Krull is a better choice for both resemblance and voice. Amy's a contralto, where Merelan was soprano, as is Liv Kristine. Leaves' Eyes home page has a great shot of her here: http://www.leaveseyes.com/

Last edited by ElectricDragon; May 20 2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Addition
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 09:55 PM   #261
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
I haven't seen the video, but I've heard her voice. Maybe she could play Menolly. Or, if they do flashbacks, she could play Robinton's mother.

OT: I'd love to hear a duet between Pat Benatar and Amy Lee. They both have wonderful voices and a great range. And Pat Benatar would be old enough to play Robinton's mother in any flashbacks.

GH
That would be an interesting duet, but the pairing I'd love to hear is Enya and Simone Simons (Epica) if I'm going to combine two female voices--both mezzos with a touch of the upper contralto!

Pat Benatar and Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) would be an interesting match up as well.

Of course, I'd much prefer to pair up some high-powered male and female talent. I'd love to hear Simons team up with Marco Hietala (Nightwish). She was simply incredible paired with Ralf Scheepers on Primal Fear's "Every Time It Rains." I still have to YouTube her performances with Roy Khan of Kamelot, but they should be similarly impressive. Hietala teamed up with Liv Kristine (Leaves' Eyes; ex-Theatre of Tragedy) for Delain's debut album, and he formerly paired with Tarja Turunen in Nightwish before she was fired ("I Wish I Had An Angel" is a perfect blend of their voices).

Much as I like Hietala, he's not a singer in the class of Geoff Tate, of Queensryche, and I'd love to hear Tate paired with Simons, or with Liv Kristine. Or frankly, pair Tate with Benatar--nothing like a pair of four-octave voices working together.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2008, 05:19 PM   #262
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl View Post
I don't know if she's been mentioned, but Amy Lee as she is in the music video My Immortal...quite lovely and with a slightly narrow face she could pass as Lessa:

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal042.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal061.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal029.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal008.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal006.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal023.jpg

http://amy.drowned-world.net/img/cli...mmortal014.jpg

Long, dark hair, small and quite slim with beautiful eyes. SHame she's a singer.



Amy Lee is so cool! The first time that I heard the music of Evanessance I was attracted to it for it's unique sound.

I do have to agree, though- she's a little big for Lessa, who is a wisp. Then again, maybe I'm just being a hard-to-please Pern fan here; maybe she would be the best choice for Lessa as it might be next to impossible to find anyone (who can act) who absolutely matches Lessa's description.

I've never actually met (or even seen) anyone with amber eyes. Is that a Pernese thing?
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2008, 05:38 PM   #263
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge
 
Emeraldrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tennessee
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Isn't Amber just another term for Hazel...seems like Capt Kirk is described that way in novels...or what about Doc Savage...His are gold/bronze/amber (it has been awhile since I have read his stories)

What about Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon...They have grown up quite a bit...they could play brothers or dragonriders I am sure...I got them mixed up several times watching "The Departed"
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2008, 08:06 PM   #264
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
Amy Lee is so cool! The first time that I heard the music of Evanessance I was attracted to it for it's unique sound.

I do have to agree, though- she's a little big for Lessa, who is a wisp. Then again, maybe I'm just being a hard-to-please Pern fan here; maybe she would be the best choice for Lessa as it might be next to impossible to find anyone (who can act) who absolutely matches Lessa's description.

I've never actually met (or even seen) anyone with amber eyes. Is that a Pernese thing?
There are good actresses who could adequately answer Lessa's description. Keira Knightley has been bandied about, is certainly wispy, and her acting credits are good. I've proposed Leah Cairns, who is also a good actress, fairly delicate and somewhat shorter than Knightley. Amy (Lee) Hartzler is not an actress, and it would be a shame to waste her on a non-singing role anyhow, as Lessa is not known for her gilded throat, but for her razor-edged tongue.

If you have enjoyed Evanescence, I would recommend the following:
Epica, hailing from the Netherlands, fronted by Simone Simons, mezzo-soprano
Within Temptation, hailing from the Netherlands, fronted by Sharon den Adel, soprano
Leaves' Eyes, hailing from Norway and Germany, fronted by Liv Kristine Espenaes Krull, soprano
Nightwish, hailing from Finland, fronted by Annette Olzon and Marco Hietala and formerly by Tarja Turunen, soprano
Lacuna Coil, hailing from Italy, fronted by Cristina Scabbia, contralto and Andrea Ferro
Midnattsol, hailing from Norway and Germany, fronted by Carmen Elise Espenaes (Liv's little sister), probable contralto
The Crest, hailing from Norway, fronted by Nell Sigland, soprano
Edenbridge, hailing from Austria, fronted by Sabine Edelsbacher, contralto
Theatre of Tragedy, hailing from Norway, concurrently fronted by Nell Sigland of The Crest and formerly by Liv Kristine of Leaves' Eyes.

Re: amber eyes; they're probably just an extreme variation of "hazel" that is distinctly more yellowish.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2008, 08:11 PM   #265
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldrose View Post
Isn't Amber just another term for Hazel...seems like Capt Kirk is described that way in novels...or what about Doc Savage...His are gold/bronze/amber (it has been awhile since I have read his stories)

What about Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon...They have grown up quite a bit...they could play brothers or dragonriders I am sure...I got them mixed up several times watching "The Departed"
DiCaprio is another actor that I consider so over-rated I wouldn't even cast him as bait (personal opinion, entirely). However, Matt Damon I consider quite talented and could see in a number of Pern roles. Even if he is f*(41n6 Sarah Silverman...
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2008, 04:53 PM   #266
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
There are good actresses who could adequately answer Lessa's description. Keira Knightley has been bandied about, is certainly wispy, and her acting credits are good. I've proposed Leah Cairns, who is also a good actress, fairly delicate and somewhat shorter than Knightley. Amy (Lee) Hartzler is not an actress, and it would be a shame to waste her on a non-singing role anyhow, as Lessa is not known for her gilded throat, but for her razor-edged tongue.

If you have enjoyed Evanescence, I would recommend the following:
Epica, hailing from the Netherlands, fronted by Simone Simons, mezzo-soprano
Within Temptation, hailing from the Netherlands, fronted by Sharon den Adel, soprano
Leaves' Eyes, hailing from Norway and Germany, fronted by Liv Kristine Espenaes Krull, soprano
Nightwish, hailing from Finland, fronted by Annette Olzon and Marco Hietala and formerly by Tarja Turunen, soprano
Lacuna Coil, hailing from Italy, fronted by Cristina Scabbia, contralto and Andrea Ferro
Midnattsol, hailing from Norway and Germany, fronted by Carmen Elise Espenaes (Liv's little sister), probable contralto
The Crest, hailing from Norway, fronted by Nell Sigland, soprano
Edenbridge, hailing from Austria, fronted by Sabine Edelsbacher, contralto
Theatre of Tragedy, hailing from Norway, concurrently fronted by Nell Sigland of The Crest and formerly by Liv Kristine of Leaves' Eyes.

Re: amber eyes; they're probably just an extreme variation of "hazel" that is distinctly more yellowish.



E-dragon, you and your intelligence blow me away. And that's a good thing. And that is ALL I have to say about that!

Personally, I think that Keira Knightly, pretty as she is, would make a good Lessa. [I] don't know anything about Leah Cairns, other than looking at the photos that y'all posted, so I can't really comment on her! I am sure that she is a good actress, though.

And as for the amber eyes; I meant that I had never seen someone with eyes the way F'lar's are described and the way I imagine them to be. I am sure that someone could provide me with all the full details on this, buit they are described as "light enough to seem golden" and I imagine his eyes to be accented by his darker coloring, and to really stand out. I've met loads of people with hazel eyes, and often admired them! I do education and get to see lots of folks, so if someone who looks like F'lar shows up at one of my ed programs, I'll let everybody know. After I've finished flirting with him
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 02:59 PM   #267
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: M
Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
There are good actresses who could adequately answer Lessa's description. Keira Knightley has been bandied about, is certainly wispy, and her acting credits are good. I've proposed Leah Cairns, who is also a good actress, fairly delicate and somewhat shorter than Knightley. Amy (Lee) Hartzler is not an actress, and it would be a shame to waste her on a non-singing role anyhow, as Lessa is not known for her gilded throat, but for her razor-edged tongue.
I really don't understand why so many people dismiss Amy Lee just because Lessa wouldn't be a singing role. Yes, Amy Lee is a mind-blowing singer, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing she can do.

Knightly fits Lessa's physical description well, but she seems too whiny to have the presence of power. Lessa can quell you with a simple sharp look of her eyes. If Knightly did that, I'd laugh rather than cower

Amy Lee definitely has those powerful eyes, and the ability to pull off her temper and personality. Knightly is diminutive, but not powerful, and power is the quality I prioritize over Lessa's exact physical appearance.

And I just can't resist... you say that Amy Lee isn't an actress, but Keira Knightly CAN act?
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2008, 03:16 PM   #268
Draconity
Member
Glow
 
Draconity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota, USA
Gender: F
Now Reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Between Amy Lee and Keira Knightley for Lessa, I'm honestly not quite sure.

I wouldn't object to Keira Knightley. She'd definitely do for a DF Lessa, I think, where she's very sure of herself but doesn't think anyone else is. I think, if given the role, she could expand to fit the power behind it. Keep in mind the roles we've seen her in.

I have absolutely no more input right now, ha ha ha. Sad.
Draconity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2008, 11:58 AM   #269
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I really don't understand why so many people dismiss Amy Lee just because Lessa wouldn't be a singing role. Yes, Amy Lee is a mind-blowing singer, but that doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing she can do.

Knightly fits Lessa's physical description well, but she seems too whiny to have the presence of power. Lessa can quell you with a simple sharp look of her eyes. If Knightly did that, I'd laugh rather than cower

Amy Lee definitely has those powerful eyes, and the ability to pull off her temper and personality. Knightly is diminutive, but not powerful, and power is the quality I prioritize over Lessa's exact physical appearance.

And I just can't resist... you say that Amy Lee isn't an actress, but Keira Knightly CAN act?
I think I said earlier that I'm an Amy Hartzler fan, so I'm not exactly dismissive of her. She's a great singer, but that's what she is: a singer. She has no acting credentials unless you count a couple of music videos and frankly, I don't. It seems these days that every actor thinks they can sing and every singer thinks they can act and generally they're both quite wrong.

Refreshingly, Hartzler doesn't appear to be under the illusion that she's an actress, which is just as well. Now, it is entirely possible that she might make a good actress, just as a motorcycle mechanic might make a good avionics technician, but it's a crap-shoot and one that generally craps out.

Knightley is a decent actress and has shown her skill in a variety of roles, and has a successful franchise under her belt. Whether she is a great actress is another question, but she's certainly not bad.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2008, 12:25 PM   #270
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
E-dragon, you and your intelligence blow me away. And that's a good thing. And that is ALL I have to say about that!

Personally, I think that Keira Knightly, pretty as she is, would make a good Lessa. [I] don't know anything about Leah Cairns, other than looking at the photos that y'all posted, so I can't really comment on her! I am sure that she is a good actress, though.

And as for the amber eyes; I meant that I had never seen someone with eyes the way F'lar's are described and the way I imagine them to be. I am sure that someone could provide me with all the full details on this, buit they are described as "light enough to seem golden" and I imagine his eyes to be accented by his darker coloring, and to really stand out. I've met loads of people with hazel eyes, and often admired them! I do education and get to see lots of folks, so if someone who looks like F'lar shows up at one of my ed programs, I'll let everybody know. After I've finished flirting with him
Thank you. Nice to know the gray hairs were earned to good purpose.

I think Knightley's fine and I was willing to see her in the role until I spotted Cairns. I think Cairns is a better fit who would be more suitable for covering a broader age-band of the character. She also looks good in flight gear, which I consider important for someone playing a dragon-rider, although I reject the notion of "bomber jackets" in favor of more simply made garments similar to short- to mid- length riding coats. Lessa is described as diminutive, but unfortunately Knightley is so bony that even with the camera adding weight, she comes off as a bit of a stick-figure and would probably end up almost comical. Cairns is also dancer-thin (graphically demonstrated in picture five of her 88 Minutes gallery on her website), but has carried off bulky, complicated flight gear in BSG fairly well, and would be just about right for simplified Pernese flight gear. Her face is more mature, which would be appropriate given Lessa's hard early life, but sufficiently angular to get the "elfin" effect sometimes attributed to Lessa's appearance. Knightley's face is more rectangular and a bit too young. Cairns'd also be more visually appealing opposite Clive Owen than Knightley was and provide a more appropriate height differential. And she'd be much easier on the production budget to obtain.

I have actually seen one or two people with "amber" eyes in my time and did not find the look particularly appealing. I believe one person's eyes were a heavily yellowed hazel that may have been an extremely faint variety of green (their claimed eye color) and rather sickly looking. The other was probably an extremely pale brown, which was better, but largely due to the person's other natural colorations including blondish-brown hair (probably dyed), and probably mixed racial ancestry (giving the effect of a medium tan). I think amber eyes with black hair as F'lar is described, would be perceived by most as unusual and would be noticed, but I think most people would actually find the effect jarring and unappealing, but that's just my opinion. I view F'lar's eye color as a flaw in his appearance that keeps him from being too perfect as a character, that and his sometimes overly trusting/patient approach to some problems that could benefit from a more active resolution.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2008, 12:51 PM   #271
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Gender: M
Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

This is close to what I imagine for amber-colored eyes. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...g?t=1212339030
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2008, 10:27 PM   #272
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster
 
ElectricDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Between
Gender: M
Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
This is close to what I imagine for amber-colored eyes. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...g?t=1212339030
That matches the second type I saw.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3 2008, 12:04 PM   #273
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
This is close to what I imagine for amber-colored eyes. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...g?t=1212339030
That's probably the reason that I've seen Jason Behr's name mentioned as F'lar, as he has the dark hair, and his eyes are probably the closest to amber that I have seen of a dark haired actor in the right age range.

http://www.poster.net/behr-jason/beh...hr-6234101.jpg

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3 2008, 02:07 PM   #274
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
Thank you. Nice to know the gray hairs were earned to good purpose.

I think Knightley's fine and I was willing to see her in the role until I spotted Cairns. I think Cairns is a better fit who would be more suitable for covering a broader age-band of the character. She also looks good in flight gear, which I consider important for someone playing a dragon-rider, although I reject the notion of "bomber jackets" in favor of more simply made garments similar to short- to mid- length riding coats. Lessa is described as diminutive, but unfortunately Knightley is so bony that even with the camera adding weight, she comes off as a bit of a stick-figure and would probably end up almost comical. Cairns is also dancer-thin (graphically demonstrated in picture five of her 88 Minutes gallery on her website), but has carried off bulky, complicated flight gear in BSG fairly well, and would be just about right for simplified Pernese flight gear. Her face is more mature, which would be appropriate given Lessa's hard early life, but sufficiently angular to get the "elfin" effect sometimes attributed to Lessa's appearance. Knightley's face is more rectangular and a bit too young. Cairns'd also be more visually appealing opposite Clive Owen than Knightley was and provide a more appropriate height differential. And she'd be much easier on the production budget to obtain.

I have actually seen one or two people with "amber" eyes in my time and did not find the look particularly appealing. I believe one person's eyes were a heavily yellowed hazel that may have been an extremely faint variety of green (their claimed eye color) and rather sickly looking. The other was probably an extremely pale brown, which was better, but largely due to the person's other natural colorations including blondish-brown hair (probably dyed), and probably mixed racial ancestry (giving the effect of a medium tan). I think amber eyes with black hair as F'lar is described, would be perceived by most as unusual and would be noticed, but I think most people would actually find the effect jarring and unappealing, but that's just my opinion. I view F'lar's eye color as a flaw in his appearance that keeps him from being too perfect as a character, that and his sometimes overly trusting/patient approach to some problems that could benefit from a more active resolution.

Jason Behr's a hottie- OK, OK enough of that. I wonder what he'd look like with shorter hair, though? I'll look him up, no worries, alright?


And Leah Cairns. . . well, I'll take your word on that, how's that? Personally I think that Knightly should azt least be offered the role of Lessa, seeing as she is so young, it would be a good challenge for her, even if the sheer power behind it scares her at first. I'm sure that Lessa herself was a little scared right at first (especially regarding F'lar), too, though she hid it extremely well. Imagine being neatly but suddenly thrown into a leadership position in a completely strange place with a guy you may be attracted to for his intelligence, but really hardly know. Wow- that's what any actress who plays Lessa has to live up to, and, whomever it ends up being, it'll have to be a special person.

I think the amber eyes/black hair combination is kinda cool, actually, although everyone has every right to their own opinion! I like it for it's difference; it's unique. Does anyone happen to have a copy of People of Pern handy? F'lar's in there, and maybe this is just a compliment to Robin Wood's portraiture, but I find that particular picture almost startling in its intensity. I remember being a little girl Pern fan, and I had developed such a crush on F'lar (like many others, I'm sure!), and when I got PoP, I turned right away to that page; I had to see. Anyway, even today, when I look at the book, I am a little startled. I'm also a photographer, so maybe I'm just too visually oriented. Is that even possible?
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2008, 06:42 PM   #275
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge
 
Emeraldrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tennessee
Gender: F
Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

I was watching Fargo the other day and it occurred to me that William H Macy could be a really good (or bad) Lord Holder....I suspect I need to reread the series because although I cannot see him as a Fax,Meron or Toric I don't think Groghe or Raid would be beyond him...I cannot really recall the other Lord Holders by name....
I just don't see him in a Hall or a Weyr though...
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2008, 02:23 PM   #276
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

. . . I got one, I got one. . . Adam Beach! I have no idea who he should be, though, Holder, Dragonrider, whomever. He could add that ethnic flair, which I think is very cool.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11 2008, 11:21 AM   #277
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
. . . I got one, I got one. . . Adam Beach! I have no idea who he should be, though, Holder, Dragonrider, whomever. He could add that ethnic flair, which I think is very cool.
From the pictures of Adam Beach on IMDB, I would peg him as a dragon rider. Maybe a wingleader, or one of the relatively young Weyrleaders in the stories. Almost definitely riding a brown or a bronze.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2008, 08:54 PM   #278
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
From the pictures of Adam Beach on IMDB, I would peg him as a dragon rider. Maybe a wingleader, or one of the relatively young Weyrleaders in the stories. Almost definitely riding a brown or a bronze.

GH


Thanks for the photos, GH! You think he could do K'van? That's a different book though. . . Maybe G'dened?
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2008, 09:27 AM   #279
GHarris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Gender: M
Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
Thanks for the photos, GH! You think he could do K'van? That's a different book though. . . Maybe G'dened?
What was the name of the main bronze rider that when south with Kylara?

Or the one that eventually bonded with Mirrim?
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13 2008, 05:36 PM   #280
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling
 
Weyrlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sedona, Arizona USA
Gender: F
Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Default Re: Your Pern Movie Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
What was the name of the main bronze rider that when south with Kylara?



Or the one that eventually bonded with Mirrim?

I remember, I remember!! T'bor, Orth's (???) rider, and he disappeared somewhere. . . unfortunately between possibly


That's T'gellan. He and Monarth always seemed like such cool guys to me.

Last edited by Weyrlady; Jun 13 2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: quotes not right
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pern Book, Short Story, and Miscellany List; Common Abbreviations Cheryl Dragonriders of Pern 1 Jun 28 2008 08:53 AM
Collecting Highlight (43) - The Atlas of Pern c.s. Hans Collecting Highlights Archives 23 Feb 25 2007 08:30 PM
Pern movie deal with Copperheart Entertainment Cheryl Café Archives 63 Nov 11 2006 02:03 AM
Pern movie deal with Copperheart Entertainment Cheryl Announcements 2 May 26 2006 05:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

A Meeting of Minds forum owned by Cheryl B. Miller.
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey’s fiction are copyright © Anne McCaffrey 1967-2008, all rights reserved, and used by permission of the author.