A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jul 18 2014, 06:39 AM   #41
razor4466
Glow

Fan of: Pern,Narnia,Sunrunners
Now Reading: A Clash of Kings
Default Re: Fire lizard colors

Brenda, Anareth, I agree and understand with all you are saying. I'm just trying to understand the reason behind the diversity. I'm not sure about other Queens but I do remember that Ramoth won't allow more than three junior queens in the Weyr. Now depending on the amount of junior queens in any Weyr and the amount of bronzes, that could satisfy the mating needs of those colors and produce clutches. So by default, that leaves the blues and greens for the browns. Earlier, someone theorized the greens are genetically infertile. Progressively, through the "Darwinian" process, the larger breeds got, well, larger. As stated earlier as well, First Fall browns mated with queens and produced viable clutches including queen eggs. My conclusion is that greens and blues are still available for the smaller browns and no reason why larger browns couldn't successfully still mate with queens.
razor4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18 2014, 06:50 PM   #42
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4466 View Post
Brenda, Anareth, I agree and understand with all you are saying. I'm just trying to understand the reason behind the diversity. I'm not sure about other Queens but I do remember that Ramoth won't allow more than three junior queens in the Weyr. Now depending on the amount of junior queens in any Weyr and the amount of bronzes, that could satisfy the mating needs of those colors and produce clutches. So by default, that leaves the blues and greens for the browns. Earlier, someone theorized the greens are genetically infertile. Progressively, through the "Darwinian" process, the larger breeds got, well, larger. As stated earlier as well, First Fall browns mated with queens and produced viable clutches including queen eggs. My conclusion is that greens and blues are still available for the smaller browns and no reason why larger browns couldn't successfully still mate with queens.
". . . greens and blues are still available for the smaller browns"?
Surely brown dragons wouldn't mate with blues? ;-)

It occurs to me that even if, at the time of the first reconnaissance mission, there were only 5 colours of fire-lizards, this may not have always been the case.

Possibly all colours (however many there were in the distant past) had the ability to ingest firestone (to defend their nests from larger predators).

Once the Red Star was drawn into Pern's orbit and began dropping Thread, those fire-lizards that had developed teleportation and telepathy would have a survival advantage over those that had not, so maybe those abilities were linked in some way to the 5 'modern' colours. One Pass of the Red Star would suffice to take the have-nots out of the gene pool. The presence of 3 male and 2 female versions would then be sheer chance.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2014, 11:32 AM   #43
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

All firelizards DO (in "present", ie 9th Pass Pern) have the ability to ingest firestone, including the queens. The modification (however Kitti did it) is only in the dragons, not the enhanced flits. Sorka and the other queen riders don't expect it, either. That would argue among other things that the idea of just making lots and lots of queens was too difficult in terms of gene manipulation so she had to protect the lone breeders by trying to minimize their exposure to Thread.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2014, 03:58 PM   #44
razor4466
Glow

"We can never have enough greens."

That applies to far more than just thread fighting
Old Jul 22 2014, 12:26 PM   #45
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
All firelizards DO (in "present", ie 9th Pass Pern) have the ability to ingest firestone, including the queens. The modification (however Kitti did it) is only in the dragons, not the enhanced flits. Sorka and the other queen riders don't expect it, either. That would argue among other things that the idea of just making lots and lots of queens was too difficult in terms of gene manipulation so she had to protect the lone breeders by trying to minimize their exposure to Thread.
I totally agree.

However, I was talking only about fire-lizards in a very distant past (before Thread ever fell on Pern), and a possible reason for there being only 2 female colours and 3 male.

Eriflor.
Old Jul 23 2014, 01:46 AM   #46
razor4466
Glow

Eriflor, I caught my mistake too late...
Old Jul 23 2014, 01:28 PM   #47
Eriflor

That's OK . . . been there, done that myself, quite a few times.
I left out something I'd meant to say, and it changed the emphasis of the post.

Eriflor.