A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jul 5 2014, 06:03 PM   #1
razor4466
Glow

Fan of: Pern,Narnia,Sunrunners
Now Reading: A Clash of Kings
Default Endless speculations

I am a 48yo man and I have been reading and rereading all the same books over and over for most of my life. It all started with the wonderful, amazing world of Narnia(I refuse to read them in the "accepted order"). I have to get this out to a group of people who understand how I feel. I am reading(again) the short stories that started Pern and even though I know them all by heart, there is still the story that gets me to cry like a baby as if I'm reading them for the first time. While I appreciate all the questions and discussions about what "could have or should have" happened, the bottom line is it is all speculation. I get tremendous joy and satisfaction from these three words.

Lessa woke, cold.

If anyone could understand how those words affect me, I believe it would be this group of readers, fans and devotees of Ms. McCaffrey and all the other authors who move us to tears just by the written word.
razor4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5 2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Endless speculations

Well said. Words are powerful, and no adaptations or discussions can ever take away the words themselves.

('Well, I'm back.' is my tear-jerker)
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I am a convinced atheist and always surprised every time I realise that a bible quote (ecclisiastes 3) can bring me to tears. I am, of course, talking about Robinton's death and AIVAS reaction.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2014, 03:04 PM   #4
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

From a non-Christian perspective, the Tanakh is better understood as a collection of historical legend, fables and epic poetry that recounts the history of the Jewish people, large portions of which have little to do with religious belief and more to do with the desire to preserve beautiful art and folk sayings from a time before writing was accessible to most people. Even Orthodox Judaism allows that Psalms, Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes and a number of others were probably included more for their cultural value than religious content.

(In many ways, their inclusion is not too dissimilar from the purpose of the Harper ballads, not all of which are purely didactic.)

I used to get irritated by that quote, how dare Ms. McCaffrey include religion on Pern after all her promises! But it took discovering Ecclesiastes through Pern and other pop culture for me to realize its true value as a piece of beautiful literature beyond fundamentalist Christian teachings. So now I feel the same way about that quote as you, Hans. I'm glad it's there.

Last edited by skywaterblue; Jul 7 2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: its!
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2014, 08:05 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

It's the context Sky, always the context...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Eriflor

In the days before the printing press, all these writings would have been on individual scrolls, and in many cases a congregation would only have had one copy of most of the works, so most likely they would keep them in one place. When paper books became available, scholars would want to have all the old writings together (though possibly in a set of volumes).
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2014, 05:01 PM   #7
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Me...e_Megillot.JPG

And indeed, still are.
Old Jul 8 2014, 02:42 PM   #8
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

I think sometimes people misinterpret the "endless speculation" that occurs as being more...harsh? Malevolent? Mean-spirited? Than it is.

I myself am very prone to very wild speculation (I wince seeing some of the threads here I started in my mid or early twenties, and a part of me is glad the stuff I wrote on AMC message boards in my teens is gone).

And then after I spend time nit-picking every little thing that's wrong about Pern or Talents, I go on and write fanfic to "fix" it, which in some lights could come off as horribly egotistical. Here I am, not even BORN when these stories were written, showing such criticism. Trying to do better than someone who is more facile with words than I ever will be.

And yet, it's really because I DO love the books, and the things she's written. I've learned more about myself from Anne McCaffrey's works than any other author's, both by reading her words, and by my constant speculation. I do consider myself to have learned as much by her "errors" as the things she did right...by any light, she's been a teacher, even though I only met her once, and that was very briefly for a signing and really contained no special interaction between us.

I do value this.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Brenda

And things like the story I wrote to explain when Menolly actually wrote the Fire Lizard Song!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9 2014, 12:14 AM   #10
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...0&postcount=26 Marks made of wood, thanks members for sharing it.

Also in Dragondrums, about not being worth a wax mark,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9 2014, 01:47 AM   #11
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post

And yet, it's really because I DO love the books, and the things she's written. I've learned more about myself from Anne McCaffrey's works than any other author's, both by reading her words, and by my constant speculation. I do consider myself to have learned as much by her "errors" as the things she did right...by any light, she's been a teacher, even though I only met her once, and that was very briefly for a signing and really contained no special interaction between us.

I do value this.
I sympathize and recognize myself deeply in this sentiment and have spent a while struggling with what I could add to it. It's often difficult sometimes to define a part of yourself through a fandom while sometimes being in significant opposition to the work that defines it, because of course, our continued participation is by choice. And the longer you participate, the more you rack up that accrued history with people, also here by choice. No one "made" me stay and fight this corner for something as silly as mass-media soft-scifi dragon books.
Old Jul 9 2014, 01:55 AM   #12
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Thirded. As much as I love to over-analyse these books and point out their numerous flaws, I'm here because I love them. Half a million words and two dozen stories of my own don't come from nowhere. What I write - fanfic AND original - I write because of her.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9 2014, 10:08 PM   #13
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I nitpick everything (and yes, periodically take opposing sides, sometimes just to yank chains and other times because it's me--I'm an Imperial Girl in an Imperial World in Star Wars, and as far as Babylon 5 goes I'm Black Omega to the bone-the Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father) and Pern is no exception. But it's still one of my favorite fictional escapes. I pick and analyze and obsess because I care. I may not love how Anne wrote some things (and yes, I almost said "writes", it's still not entirely real) but I love Pern.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12 2014, 03:36 AM   #14
razor4466
Glow

[QUOTE=D. M. Domini;192663]I think sometimes people misinterpret the "endless speculation" that occurs as being more...harsh? Malevolent? Mean-spirited? Than it is.

In my post , I didn't explain properly. I too love to think what "could have" or "should have" happened. After all "what boy or girl never wondered what it would be like to be chosen by a dragon". I just ultimately wanted to share my unending ability to transfer to these worlds just by reading and using my imagination. In short how the genre of literature that I have chosen is as important to me as any Shakespearean aficionado is passionate about his/her choice. Please forgive me for any offense I may have inadvertently committed. I knew that this place, this fellowship, would completely understand how I feel about these books because no one in my life can relate and I thank you all for....getting it....
Old Jul 12 2014, 10:26 AM   #15
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Razor - you didn't cause offense. It just sort of reminded me that from the outside I could very easily look incredibly stupid, or lend a "wet-blanket" feel to the fandom when that's not my intent. Here I am, young and sometimes (I feel) aggressively critical. Why am I even here? Well, that's why.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12 2014, 09:19 PM   #16
razor4466
Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by anareth View Post
i nitpick everything (and yes, periodically take opposing sides, sometimes just to yank chains and other times because it's me--i'm an imperial girl in an imperial world in star wars, and as far as babylon 5 goes i'm black omega to the bone-the corps is mother, the corps is father) and pern is no exception. But it's still one of my favorite fictional escapes. I pick and analyze and obsess because i care. I may not love how anne wrote some things (and yes, i almost said "writes", it's still not entirely real) but i love pern.
browncoats unite